Thread: NZXT Beta Evo Mod (plus small mods)

Xtreme Enthusiast

NZXT Beta Evo Mod (plus small mods)

This is no mega-mod by any means; I just want to be a little bit creative with my case (and some of the components) now that I've put it on display beside my desk rather than underneath it. Here's my checklist:

• make a side window with perspex, or scratchbuild a new side panel
    • sleeve my new Toughpower 775w PSU with red braided sleeving
    • add another GTX 470, which is what the 775w is for
    • replace the Antec Tri-Cool blue LED fans with something red/black

First, this is how my PC looked before I started any modding:

I recently replaced the XFX 4870 with a much nicer looking (and nicer all-round) Palit GTX 470:

I wanted to put 12GB of ram in my updated rig, but that didn't work (long story) so I ended up getting a 6GB kit of XMS3...

...and I modded it to fit in with the red/black theme Just quickly threw together a design in photoshop, printed it off, and hand-painted the gold corsair logo with a metallic marker pen and the smallest brush, like, ever

Inside the case - sorry for the poor quality; my 1Ds2 batteries were charging, so I had to use my 50D at ISO 6400 lol

Hoping to do the perspex side window tomorrow, so will post updates as soon as they are ready.
    i7 920 D0 | TRUE Cu | ASUS RIIIE | 6GB Dominator GT | Gigabyte GTX480 Special Edition | Win7 Ultimate x64

Xtreme Member
    I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do w/ this, subbed
    WCG Rigs: 184 threads, mostly i7s

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Cool

Well I decided not to "destroy" the existing side panel and instead make one from scratch, so I cut a sheet of 2mm perspex to size and fixed some custom made metal hooks to it, and it fits to the side of the case just like the proper panel.

There is a lot of scope for modding this window - at some point, I will probably drill some holes in it to make it look a bit more interesting (and to improve case airflow) and perhaps block some of it off.

Since fixing the window I'm tempted to get a copper True, but not just for aesthetics; my 920 really likes the volts (1.34 for 4GHz ) and I would really like to get 4.2GHz stable

Even now, I think it looks good when powered up

Will hopefully have more progress and more pics later in the week.

Since cramming the case in that bookshelf, temps have gone up rather a lot, so I am going to see what I can do to improve airflow. Just got a copper TRUE, so will be installing that as soon as it arrives.
    Last edited by LennyRhys; 11-01-2010 at 06:49 AM.
    i7 920 D0 | TRUE Cu | ASUS RIIIE | 6GB Dominator GT | Gigabyte GTX480 Special Edition | Win7 Ultimate x64

Xtreme Addict
    I'd like to see metal with a cutout that would show the goods w/o showing the HDDs, 5.25" cage, PSU, and the empty space next to the PSU.
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Not bad, keep going bro
    Here's mine, using mostly the same ideas
    (Well, not actually a Beta Evo, it's Beta)

More details

http://vozforums.com/showthread.php?t=932504&highlight=
    Rig: P5Q Pro | E7400 | V8 | 2x2GB Ballistix Tracer | XFX HD4770 | 2x Seagate 1TB | eXtreme Power 650W | RV01 | HP 2009F
    Plan to go: Epiphone SG400 | Fender T-Bucket 300CE

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'd like to see metal with a cutout that would show the goods w/o showing the HDDs, 5.25" cage, PSU, and the empty space next to the PSU.
    All in good time, but I don't think I will be using any metal - I'll probably block off some of the perspex by spray painting it on the inside (to retain the shiny outer surface).

I had a brainwave last night - I love the (profoundly complex) design of some crop circles...I wonder how they would look and work as an airflow solution on the side of a case?

So I did the best I could with the perspex, and it works great! I flipped the design over as it allowed me to place the largest holes over the hottest components - cpu and gpu area.