Thread: 5850 sets itself at 1.65v

Xtreme Cruncher

5850 sets itself at 1.65v

Occasionally I get back to my PC, and the GPU fan is much louder than it should be at idle. I check what is going on with afterburner, and it looks like this:

I can't manually bring the voltage back down, and have to restart the computer. I am fairly sure it has only been happening within the last month or so, and it has only happened ~3-4 times.

I modified the bios so that it underclocks the card, and doesn't get ridiculously hot and loud when running dual monitors. I overclock it to 830/1200 at stock volts each time I play games.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Pretty sure 1.65v is kinda dangerously high?
    Last edited by joshd; 10-29-2010 at 02:55 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    You don't have multiple apps reading voltages, are you? Afterburner + gpuz for example.
    Dont do that
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by wez View Post
    You don't have multiple apps reading voltages, are you? Afterburner + gpuz for example.
    Dont do that
    I don't launch GPUz ever, but it could possibly be when I launch hwmonitor. If so, it doesn't happen every time however.

Devil kept pokin'
    As said avoid running two apps that monitor gpu voltage.
    I ran into the issue on HWmonitor 1.16 when they started gpu voltage monitoring.

yes, i had the same issues: randomly (not only on 2D desktop but also while running 3D apps) i got this "Update" to 1.65v. i also pinned it down to the problem when running two different applications (e.g. Everest + MSI afterburner, or GPU-z+afterburner) at the same time and both trying to monitor the Vgpu voltage....nowadays i use HWInfo32 latest stable version and MSI after burner 2.0.0 and the problem seemed to vanish. BTW its really bad for GPU getting 1.65v under heavy 3D load, usually the coils of the card started immediatly whistling and the temp of the VRM circuit (not the gpu) jumped over 100°C...-> surely the best way to kill a card with 99% insurance.