Thread: Why is the clock speed off

Xtreme Member

Why is the clock speed off

For some reason the clock speed is 3712mhz on all core and I have it set to 3700mhz in the bios why is it 3712 to 3714 at AMD OverDrive and CPUZ???
    It is a crosshair iv..
    ASUS CROSSHAIR IV, AMD 1090T @ 4.2GHz, 24/7, 8GHz DOMINATOR GT 1600MHz C6, 2X MSI HD5850 TWIN FROZR IN CROSSFIRE, 2X VERTEX2 120GB IN RAID 0, SOUND BLASTER X-FI TITANIUM FATAL1TY CHAMPION SERIES, 1600WATT ULTRA X4, THERMALTAKE XASER VI CASE.

Xtreme Addict
    voltage fluctuation ...
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Yancey View Post
    For some reason the clock speed is 3712mhz on all core and I have it set to 3700mhz in the bios why is it 3712 to 3714 at AMD OverDrive and CPUZ???
    It is a crosshair iv..
    At least it's not as bad as my old 790X-UD4P set 200 HTT and you ended up with 201.4

Gomeler has that board now, I believe he's gonna have fun with some locked chips in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wm@n View Post
    voltage fluctuation ...

It's just a limitation within the clock generator.
    It's not big deal really.

As far as Sn0wm@n's comment about voltage fluctuation...

If I set 1.50v in TurboV...I get 1.500v idle and 1.512v load with LLC on It stays there as well. Yet to be check by a DMM, as mine is in the mail.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    so how does the clock generator works ???

is it really just a logic portion of the cpu based out of transistors ... and the bios is programed to talk to it .. so its remotely possible that a very small fluctuation might happen ...

that was my reasoning ..and i might be totally wrong about it
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Xtreme Member
    voltage fluctuation ...
    The voltage looks stable but it is like beep said it looks like it is 200.4 FSB in the bios, What is the best way to fix this??
    ASUS CROSSHAIR IV, AMD 1090T @ 4.2GHz, 24/7, 8GHz DOMINATOR GT 1600MHz C6, 2X MSI HD5850 TWIN FROZR IN CROSSFIRE, 2X VERTEX2 120GB IN RAID 0, SOUND BLASTER X-FI TITANIUM FATAL1TY CHAMPION SERIES, 1600WATT ULTRA X4, THERMALTAKE XASER VI CASE.

Xtreme 3D Team
    so how does the clock generator works ???

is it really just a logic portion of the cpu based out of transistors ... and the bios is programed to talk to it .. so its remotely possible that a very small fluctuation might happen ...

that was my reasoning ..and i might be totally wrong about it
    It's a chip on the motherboard that sets the base clock (HTT) for CPU, memory, HyperTransport, etc. It's completely unrelated to the CPU or the voltage it gets.

@ Yancey
    You can't fix it.
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 10-28-2010 at 06:05 PM.
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    Quick queston should I run the LLC CPU Enabled and the CPU NB LLC Enabled??

Xtreme Addict
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_generator

A clock generator is a circuit that produces a timing signal (known as a clock signal and behaves as such) for use in synchronizing a circuit's operation. The signal can range from a simple symmetrical square wave to more complex arrangements. The basic parts that all clock generators share are a resonant circuit and an amplifier.

it does look like my theorie sounds right

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    It's a chip on the motherboard that sets the base clock (HTT) for CPU, memory, HyperTransport, etc. It's completely unrelated to the CPU or the voltage it gets.

@ Yancey
    You can't fix it.

ok i did get it wrong that it was on the cpu but in reality its off the cpu .. but its still silicon based chip ... and its duty is to send signals ....
    Last edited by Sn0wm@n; 10-28-2010 at 06:09 PM.
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quick queston should I run the LLC CPU Enabled and the CPU NB LLC Enabled??
    Yes, if you want vcore to be lower or equal when idle compared to load. Disabling them seems to give quite a bit of vdroop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_generator

it does look like my theorie sounds right

ok i did get it wrong that it was on the cpu but in reality its off the cpu .. but its still silicon based chip ... and its duty is to send signals ....
    Yes but the chip used varies from board to board, partially the reason some boards are a little off of actual integers.
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Yes, if you want vcore to be lower or equal when idle compared to load. Disabling them seems to give quite a bit of vdroop.

Yes but the chip used varies from board to board, partially the reason some boards are a little off of actual integers.
    Thanks I am running CPU LLC ENABLED AND CPU-NB DISABLED. Should I run both in auto or enabled or disabled??

Xtreme 3D Team
    Thanks I am running CPU LLC ENABLED AND CPU-NB DISABLED. Should I run both in auto or enabled or disabled??
    I run both on enabled...
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    Does it run more stable like that??

Xtreme 3D Team
    Does it run more stable like that??
    Basically, without LLC on for both, you are going to get vdroop for both.

Setting 1.55v with LLC off and getting 1.51v load isn't really usefull to me. Setting 1.55v with LLC on and getting 1.56v load is.

I can't exactly monitor CPU-NB volts (nor do I know where the monitoring points are) without a DMM which I don't have atm.
    Smile