Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The Linux Help and Tutorial Thread

Xtreme Legend
    I may be totally wrong but I thought that the kernel runs cfs then at a higher level within linux there is the nice system to set changes to the cfs system's preferences about when to prioritise certain pieces of work. I thought that <no_change_priority> is a part of BOINC that turns off the nice system for BOINC (alone) if set to 1.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme crazy bastid
    No, you're right there OC. CFS, the Completely Fair Scheduler, is part of the kernel. You can change it to the Deadline Scheduler and maybe one or two others if you recompile the kernel. That's the mechanism that does the process switching in the background.
    Nice and Priority are attributes that are part of what the scheduler uses to decide which thread context to load and run during any given time period.
    I don't expect recompiling the kernel in a Unix environment is something that's actively encouraged on a regular basis, thanks to potential lost production and the proprietary nature of most mainframe operating systems so PG might not have done that as much. I don't know.

A suggestion regarding CEP2, it might be renicing itself apart from what it's parent process, BOINC, is doing. CEP2 might also benefit from higher priority in IO as well (man ionice to read about that one) given the huge amount of data it writes to it's own temp storage.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Legend
    FAHV seems to be ignoring the <no_priority_change>1</no_priority_change> too. Is there a way to get in and renice individual projects?

...or perhaps turn off the nice system?

Decided to try out renice myself

sudo renice -n 0 -u m

working for now but for how long I wonder.

edit: all of a few minutes

mixing projects some with nice and some without is terrible for those with

Last edited by OldChap; 11-15-2013 at 04:03 PM.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Try and renice the boinc parent process. The renice command is usually relative so if you push boinc up to, say, renice -20, the worker processes will still be 19 below that, but in absolute terms they'll be much higher. Boinc itself uses very little CPU time so it MIGHT work.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    99.999% The number we lived by. Uptime. Nothing else acceptable. Any less and you were probably looking for work. To say you knew better than the authors of the operating system was as well received as the after effects of the bean burrito you had at lunch. SOLARIS and AIX had proprietary kernels, never heard of anyone recompiling them or needing to.

So on one had I see all this mucking about as tom foolery. On the other had I see a great opportunity to learn. So, carry on with the foolishness.

When I recompiled kernels Linux kernel was pre V2 and FreeBSD was like v6. CFS was added to the kernel 2.6 so much of my knowledge is dated. I would never have fooled with the scheduler anyway. When I recompiled it was to enable SMP, add or remove drivers or I was building a firewall, web server or a terminal server for a bank of modems. I do not remember ever running a stock, generic kernel for Linux or FreeBSD in the 90's.

Building firewalls. Now that was a black art. Never want to do that again.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I do not know if this will help you achieve what you want but if you are using the repository install you can stop boinc-client from doing any scheduling here.

Code:
     /etc/default/boinc-client
    # This file is /etc/default/boinc-client, it is a configuration file for the
    # /etc/init.d/boinc-client init script.

# Set this to 1 to enable and to 0 to disable the init script.
    ENABLED="1"

# Set this to 1 to enable advanced scheduling of the BOINC core client and
    # all its sub-processes (reduces the impact of BOINC on the system's
    # performance).
    SCHEDULE="1"

# The BOINC core client will be started with the permissions of this user.
    BOINC_USER="boinc"

# This is the data directory of the BOINC core client.
    BOINC_DIR="/var/lib/boinc-client"

# This is the location of the BOINC core client, that the init script uses.
    # If you do not want to use the client program provided by the boinc-client
    # package, you can specify here an alternative client program.
    #BOINC_CLIENT="/usr/local/bin/boinc"
    BOINC_CLIENT="/usr/bin/boinc"

# Here you can specify additional options to pass to the BOINC core client.
    # Type 'boinc --help' or 'man boinc' for a full summary of allowed options.
    #BOINC_OPTS="--allow_remote_gui_rpc"
    BOINC_OPTS=""
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 11-16-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Xtreme Legend
    FAHV renices itself after each checkpoint so I am guessing that the most likely way to overcome this is likely to be by using cron at a quite short interval

Changing the Boinc parent process to -19 seems a rather coarse way with potential issues... I am not entirely convinced it will work either. besides which when I tried it seemed that the renice options did not include naming rather pid, user and group

sudo crontab -e
    */5 * * * * renice 0 -p $(pgrep wcgrid)

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Legend
    In and edited...How to save and quit?

NVM it is running
    Last edited by OldChap; 11-16-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Xtreme Legend
    sudo crontab -e
    */5 * * * * renice 0 -u myusername

seems to work better. Whilst all the processes report the same nice levels, the us, sy, ni etc levels at the top of top were not changing with your way

Xtreme Cruncher
    Somewhere someone said that boinc was not using their GPU on bootup, an error about co-processor not usable, or the like. I too had that on one of my crunchers and have a fix.

Edit /etc/rc.local

add the following to rc.local with your favorite editor BEFORE the line that says exit 0

Code:
    echo "service boinc-client restart" | at now + 1 minutes
    So /etc/rc.local looks like:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh -e
    #
    # rc.local
    #
    # This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
    # Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
    # value on error.
    #
    # In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
    # bits.
    #
    # By default this script does nothing.

echo "service boinc-client restart" | at now + 1 minutes

exit 0
    Works for me.

For those want to understand:
    Boinc was starting before video driver was loaded.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 11-17-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Anyone try BodhiLinux? Ubuntu based so uses apt-get with Enlightenment desktop. Very light hardware requirements with emphasis onspeed. Gonna try it on my netbook.

EDIT:
    Install went fast, comes on one CD download. 32 and 64 bit available. Has several desktop themes to choose from. Very snappy and responsive. Easy to forget I was using a netbook with 1.6 CPU and 1 gig ram. Uses apt-get.

For a minimal install on minimum hardware this is nice. One thing that might be seen as a drawback or an advantage is it does NOT install any apps except Midori web browser, which I like fine. Again it is fast. Terminal, Synaptic Package Manager, Network settings app, text editor are all there. Libraoffice is not.

So if you know what you want and how to install it, you should by now, this is a nice small install with a pretty and fast interface. It has specific themes for Desktop, laptop, tablet and netbook.

Have not tried Boinc on it but no reason for it not to work just fine. This IS Ubuntu underneath so anything you do with Ubunut or Mint you should be able to with this.

Just found this, they have an AppCenter where you install software packages using the Miidori or Firefox browser. You click on links and the software packages are installed. Apps are grouped in catagories.

After install you need to do a system update to install apps.

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
    For old eyes this theme is easy to see on a 10 inch screen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bsfnmi3n2d...2009.48.57.jpg
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 11-18-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Added a section to first post on file and directory ownership, file and directory permissions and how to change them.

Please advise of mistakes.

Thanks

Xtreme crazy bastid
    A little note. When you use the find command it will not examine files and folders you don't have permission to play with. To get around that use "sudo find / -name <filename> -ls"
    The "-ls" after the file name will give you a listing for the found file(s) the same as if you used "ls -dils" in a terminal with the file in it and shows you much more information including the full path to the file.

Find is a very useful and powerful command if you get right into it. "man find" will keep most people busy reading about it. Learning it fully will take much longer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    A little note. When you use the find command it will not examine files and folders you don't have permission to play with. To get around that use "sudo find / -name <filename> -ls"
    The "-ls" after the file name will give you a listing for the found file(s) the same as if you used "ls -dils" in a terminal with the file in it and shows you much more information including the full path to the file.

Find is a very useful and powerful command if you get right into it. "man find" will keep most people busy reading about it. Learning it fully will take much longer.
    Good point. Changed it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    lol, oops. But see how friendly Linux is. Good luck! he says.

Last edited by PoppaGeek; 11-18-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Whoever did that REALLY broke it!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    This is what happens when you mess with the scheduler. j/k OC

If you do see this call D_A I am out to lunch.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I thought that maybe studying the various assests of the different distros and learning of their robustness might help you pick a distro and get it up. So to speak...

Xtreme Cruncher
    @OC

Xtreme Legend
    Linux: The mint with the hole. ..... no sorry that was Polo

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4834973886_4a51f7279f_z.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	131872

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8566_527341964008889_2077981260_n.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	131873

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    A little advise. Do not run as user root.

If you need to do something that you cannot do using sudo and you are sure of what you are doing then do it and get out of superuser or root user ASAP.

If you login as root and stay that way you will eventually get in trouble. I've been doing UNIX/Linux for 18 years and I never run as root unless I have to. Too easy to forget something, mistype something, not be in the directory I thought I was or use the wrong switch on a command.

If you are trying to do something as a regular user and you are using sudo and keep getting permission errors there is probably good reason for it. Linux is not trying to be mean it is trying to protect your Linux install.

More advise.
    Do not install in / or the root directory. If you are installing software without using the apt-get or yum methods then install in your home directory.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast