Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: The Linux Help and Tutorial Thread

ok and installing the boinc manager is just as easy ?? :P

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Depending on the distribution you choose the installation can vary but it's pretty simple. Just don't use FreeBSD or Solaris because they complicate things more than you need for this. I think Ubuntu, Debian or something based on them be the most popular here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

yeah i worked with ubuntu before so i gues that will do the trick (apt get is realy nice :P)

Xtreme crazy bastid
    It's pretty nice, I'm quite fond of it as well.

There's a whole thread on getting BOINC up and running on Ubuntu, both 32 and 64bit (recommended if your hardware will take it) in this part of the forum.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    q1: You've probably got a different video card in the new system. Hold down the left shift key while it's booting to get into the GRUB menu, then select the recovery option which should be the second one, then in the next menu select the one that refers to reconfiguring the X-server or video configuration or something like that and it will do it itself.
    Worked like a charm. Thanks. Haven't had time to try the second question yet.

got it working linux 64 bit with 2 opteron 242 (1.6 ghz) procs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Got the updated catalyst up and running. Pretty simple after all. Thanks again.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Have another issue that popped up. Looks like one of my sticks of ram is out. Is there a program or command to see which slot has the dead stick? I have 12gb installed but only 10gb being reported. Already swapped them around to see if I had a loose one.

Linux those diseases
    Try: sudo dmidecode -t 6
    & dmidecode -t 17
    Last edited by stoneageman; 08-06-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Worked like a charm. Thanks.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thought I would resurrect this thread due to recent increase in Linux interest.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Going thru this thread checking if links are still good and info up to date. I have not seen a command mentioned I often find useful.

file <filename>

Will tell you the type of file it is.

poppageek@8356x2deb:~/BOINC$ file boinc
    boinc: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=0x715e83716479c4a94b31cb45948d3e7ce245c02a, stripped
    poppageek@8356x2deb:~/BOINC$ file binstall.sh
    binstall.sh: ASCII text
    poppageek@8356x2deb:~/BOINC$ file ca-bundle.crt
    ca-bundle.crt: ASCII English text

Xtreme Cruncher
    Updating to latest Boinc on Berkely site, Linux
    I wanted to update Boinc to the latested stable one at Berkely so I could use the app_config.xml file as the latest Boinc from the Ubuntu repositories was 7.0.27 and I needed 7.0.40 at least to use it. While it is still fresh in my mind I thought I would document how I did it. I know D_A has given the directions to do it like this but I could not find it in the forums, so I thought it might be usefull with the renewed interest in Linux thanks to MMs adventures.

What you type is in bold text.
    Install Boinc from repositories, if not already installed. If it is installed skip this part.

sudo app-get install boinc-client boinc-manager

Now stop boinc from running. When you installed it Boinc was started.

close Boinc Manager if open.

sudo service boinc-client stop

Download latest Boinc from Berkely to your $HOME directory.

In a Terminal window:
    type cd and hit enter, this will put you in your home directory

NOTE: you do not have to type the entire file name. Type boinc_ and hit tab, it should finish the filename for you. If not type more of the name and hit tab until it does.

sudo chmod a+x boinc_7.0.65_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.sh or what version you downloaded

sudo sh boinc_7.0.65_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.sh again substitute the name of the file you downloaded

now cd BOINC the directory name should be all caps.

sudo cp boinc* /usr/bin/

sudo service boinc-client start

Xtreme Cruncher
    Setting up scheduled BOINC client updates with cron (Linux)

Good tutorial for setting up a crontab to run jobs (tasks or scripts) at regular intervals.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Most of this has been covered elsewhere but it can really make the command easier to live with.

Getting around with the command line and editing it.

$HOME is users home directory. /home/username/ Mine is /home/poppageek/

pwd is Present Working Directory.

Bold is what you type at command line.

cd change directory to users $HOME

cd .. Go back one directory.

cd - Go back to directory I was previously in.

poppageek@8356x2deb:/bin$ cd /etc
    poppageek@8356x2deb:/etc$ cd -
    /bin
    poppageek@8356x2deb:/bin$
    poppageek@8356x2deb:/bin$ pwd
    /bin
    poppageek@8356x2deb:/bin$ cd /var/lib/boinc-client/projects/
    poppageek@8356x2deb:/var/lib/boinc-client/projects$ cd -
    /bin
    Hitting the [TAB] key will finish a filename or a directory name for you.

cd /var/lib/boin[TAB] will show cd /var/lib/boinc-client hit [ENTER]

chmod +x boinc_[TAB] becomes chmod+x boinc_7.0.65_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.sh (makes boinc_7.0.65_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.sh executable.)

If you hit [TAB] and nothing happens hit it again. A directory listing of all files and directories that begin with the letters you typed will be listed.

poppageek@8356x2deb:~$ cd /etc/b[TAB][TAB]
    bash_completion.d/ bluetooth/ boinc-client/ byobu/
    All directories that start with b in /etc are listed.
    Type o and hit [TAB] then [ENTER] and you will be in /etc/boinc-client Since there is only one directory in /etc/ that starts with bo it knows how to finish what you are typing.

ls -la will list a directory contents including the hidden files. Hidden files start with a . period. As .viminfo

You can use arrow keys to edit a command.

Say you typed ls -la /var/lib/boinc-cient and hit [ENTER].

Hit [UP ARROW] key and then [LEFT ARROW] key to add l to client. Use [RIGHT ARROW] key to end of line. Hit [ENTER]

[BACK SPACE] and [DELETE] keys work as expected.

The command line history remembers more than your last command. Keep hitting [UP ARROW] until you find the command you want to repeat or edit.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 11-04-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    A tool that I became VERY fond of a little while back was cssh, or ClusterSSH as the project is called. It allows the user to control multiple systems via command line at once. In practice, once it's set up you get a little window you type your commands into and cssh mirrors that command across multiple target machine.
    The up side is this can save you a TON of typing if you are administering a bunch of identical installs, such as headless Linux crunchers.
    The DOWN side is that if you screw up one command you can bork huge banks of machines with a single key stroke. This is a "Spiderman" tool, great power coming with greater responsibility.

For those wanting the power, and willing to accept the consequences, here's how to get a basic setup running.

In Ubuntu or Mint
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install cssh
    enter your password and accept the prerequisites.

Once it's installed you can run it two ways (well ... several really). Either enter cssh and the IPs or hostnames (if you have a name server on your network) of all the machines you want to handle, or you can edit the "clusters" file.
    This file, /etc/clusters, is owned by root so you have to use sudo or gksudo to edit it ... or su to root.
    The structure of this file is simple enough
    Each cluster entry is a tag followed by the username (if needed) and either the host name or IP
    eg
    Home = michael@192.168.1.2
    the username is only required if you will be logging into an account with a different name than the one you're on.
    In my case that means I can use lines like:
    Home = 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.5 192.168.1.6 192.168.1.7 192.168.1.8 192.168.1.9

This ALSO requires you to have the same password for that account on every listed node. If you don't want to do that you can use a key file system and not have to enter any passwords at all, but that's a whole other walk-through.

In the current example, I would run this by entering
    Code:
    cssh Home
    into a terminal, waiting for all the windows to finish connecting, and then entering my password (for those machines). After that just enter your commands and watch in delight as they are repeated across the field of open terminal windows in front of you ... or horror as you realise you just wiped the BOINC folder off all of them instead of only one. Like I said this is not a Fisher Price tool and comes with NO safety guards, but it can save you a huge amount of typing if you're administering many identical machines.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast

I have 20 Raspberry Pi's

Well I have got a bunch of the little Raspberry PI's so I might give this as a Project for the GEEKS in the class, install WCG onto a Raspberry PI.

Don't think it will add many points but it will be interesting to see if it can be done!
    24/7 PC CoolerMaster CM690 + 7 fans(its HOT as HELL in Shanghai) Intel Xeon E3 1230 3.3-3.7Ghz, 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill, HD GT630 2GB, Scandisk Pro 256SSD 2x2TB Green, 2x 3TB WD Green Data Drives. HTPC Q8400, EP45 UD3L 4x1GB Gskill6400, 1xWD Black 640GB,2x2TB WD Green, 2xWD 1TB Blue(RAID1), Sapphire 4530 512MB,

Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.

Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger

You would have to run android on those pies to get WCG tasks

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Quote Originally Posted by Evantaur View Post
    You would have to run android on those pies to get WCG tasks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Android-5.0-Key-Lime-Pie-2.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	131736

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Years ago I had a FreeBSD cluster doing Distributed.net crunching. They were all Pentium Pros, 6 IIRC and a dual pentium 166 OC'd to 200 as the master that cached all the incoming and out going work units and assigned them to the nodes. Used a program called clusterit, in the FreeBSD ports, to control all the machines. Issue one command on command line and it is done on all. Obviously pretty handy and saved ALOT of repetition. All the FreeBSD machines were in a small bedroom, nothing else in there, and I would telnet in to the master node from my Red Hat box in the living room. There were only 3 machines in the Living room. Now you know why I am single.......

Glad to see something similar for Linux.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 11-05-2013 at 08:07 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Albert@home has Raspbian work units.

Raspberry Pi BOINC Project

Albert@home is Einstien@home alpha test program. No real credit it is just for testing apps and work units.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 11-05-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    Updating to latest Boinc on Berkely site, Linux
    I wanted to update Boinc to the latested stable one at Berkely so I could use the app_config.xml file as the latest Boinc from the Ubuntu repositories was 7.0.27 and I needed 7.0.40 at least to use it. While it is still fresh in my mind I thought I would document how I did it. I know D_A has given the directions to do it like this but I could not find it in the forums, so I thought it might be usefull with the renewed interest in Linux thanks to MMs adventures.

What you type is in bold text.
    Install Boinc from repositories, if not already installed. If it is installed skip this part.

sudo app-get install boinc-client boinc-manager

Now stop boinc from running. When you installed it Boinc was started.

BTW, system is Tyan S4985 and (4) 8347HE's, used up 5 rearms on Server 2008 and needed to reinstall anyway so went Ubuntu.

close Boinc Manager if open.

sudo service boinc-client stop

Download latest Boinc from Berkely to your $HOME directory.

In a Terminal window:
    type cd and hit enter, this will put you in your home directory

NOTE: you do not have to type the entire file name. Type boinc_ and hit tab, it should finish the filename for you. If not type more of the name and hit tab until it does.

sudo chmod a+x boinc_7.0.65_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.sh or what version you downloaded

sudo sh boinc_7.0.65_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.sh again substitute the name of the file you downloaded

now cd BOINC the directory name should be all caps.

sudo cp boinc* /usr/bin/

sudo service boinc-client start
    I used this procedure to upgrade thinking it would give me the option in boinc manager to use cpus at 100% but it's not there, system monitor shows cpus cycling, how can I force 100% in Ubuntu?

Tyan S4985 and (4) 8347HE's
    Last edited by hendermd; 11-07-2013 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Add ystem info

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Quote Originally Posted by hendermd View Post
    I used this procedure to upgrade thinking it would give me the option in boinc manager to use cpus at 100% but it's not there, system monitor shows cpus cycling, how can I force 100% in Ubuntu?

Tyan S4985 and (4) 8347HE's
    The option is there, as far as BOINC can control it, but you need to be in the advanced view.
    Click through:
    View > Advanced View

In the new view click:
    Tools > Computing Preferences

In the new window that opens click the "processor usage" tab (the far left one), then down the bottom are the CPU usage settings.

By default BOINC only uses 60% of CPU capacity. If you want more you need to change it yourself either view your My Grid page at WCG (which will affect all the machines using that profile) or as I described for the local machine only.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Do not use System Monitor. It runs at a higher priority than Boinc. Running it throttles Boinc. Open a terminal window and type in top it will show you an accurate reading. Press q to quit.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    The other option is that the system is engaging thermal throttling, which is controlled by the BIOS. If you are confident your system cooling is adequate you can disable it there, but that is YOUR responsibility if you do.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast