Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12192021222324 LastLast

Thread: The Linux Help and Tutorial Thread

Xtreme Cruncher
    Linux. Makes you feel pretty.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    Ever have the cops raid your home?
    actually yes, but i was already in one of their cars lol..

but thats a whole other story

Xtreme Legend
    Those of you that have or do run Linux from a usb stick..... What did you choose for a stick? Has it been a successful exercise? any thoughts about sneaker netting using this? Target machine(s) are Xeon E3-1220's available during holidays only

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

i use kingston datatraveler 111s, i think corsair sticks might be reliable too

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Member
    After starting boinc with
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/ramboinc start
    boinccmd and
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/ramboinc stop
    gives "Authorization failure: -155".

Boinc is also not following any device profiles and running more tasks than threads. Anyone know what is going on?

edit: I see it has to be run from /var/lib/boinc-client. I kinda assumed the program was smarter than that.
    Still can't figure out why it is running more tasks than threads or why it doesn't follow the device profile though.
    Last edited by Red Maw; 01-30-2014 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Maw View Post
    After starting boinc with
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/ramboinc start
    boinccmd and
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/ramboinc stop
    gives "Authorization failure: -155".
    did you replace
    #Boinc data directory
    BOINCUSER=<username>
    BOINCDIR=/var/lib/boinc-client

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evantaur View Post
    did you replace
    #Boinc data directory
    BOINCUSER=<username>
    BOINCDIR=/var/lib/boinc-client
    I set my username but left as "BOINCDIR=/var/lib/boinc-client" untouched.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Maw View Post
    I set my username but left as "BOINCDIR=/var/lib/boinc-client" untouched.
    because it sounds like instead of using your existing boinc directory it created a new one with a new device id, and that's why it's ignoring your device profile

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evantaur View Post
    because it sounds like instead of using your existing boinc directory it created a new one with a new device id, and that's why it's ignoring your device profile
    Well regardless of which device id it using it should show up on WCG website (only one has) and no matter which profile I assign to it this system just does what ever it wants.

This is my boinccmd --get_project_status

Code:
    ======== Projects ========
    1) -----------
       name: World Community Grid
       master URL: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
       user_name: redmaw
       team_name: XtremeSystems
       resource share: 100.000000
       user_total_credit: 5484549.216837
       user_expavg_credit: 7416.500555
       host_total_credit: 2671.814421
       host_expavg_credit: 259.200862
       nrpc_failures: 0
       master_fetch_failures: 0
       master fetch pending: no
       scheduler RPC pending: no
       trickle upload pending: no
       attached via Account Manager: no
       ended: no
       suspended via GUI: no
       don't request more work: no
       disk usage: 0.000000
       last RPC: 1391221651.434243
       project files downloaded: 0.000000

Xtreme Cruncher
    i-Nex ? A CPU-Z Hardware Stat Tool for Linux

Like the Windows app it takes its inspiration from, i-Nex serves up a slew of unashamedly in-depth stats on your system hardware, taking in everything from your CPU to your sound card along the way.

And when I say ?in-depth? I?m not understating. Take the CPU section for example. It shows basic stats like CPU speed, model number and the various L family cache sizes, but also more advanced details like the number of transistors on the die, the multiplier size and the exact voltage and TDW it uses.

Do I really need to know all of this information? No. But do I like being able to? Yes.

In addition to a wide range of hardware stats the app also returns software information on:

System distribution, environment, window manager, etc.
    Xorg details
    Kernel information

Xtreme Cruncher
    This posting is mostly for people new to Linux, who want to try Linux but hesitant for various reasons and maybe those who stayed with Windows XP and with the now lack of support need to move on and do not want to go with another Windows but want something still a bit familiar. I have been using Mint 16 on my laptop, a dual core 1.6gx AMD and Mint 17 on a 6 core 3gx AMD with a GTX 460. And I am staying with Mint. It runs well even on lower end hardware. I am 63 and as the stereotype I am becoming more adverse to change and am really tired of trying to learn something new when the old way did it just fine. Also having a Ubuntu and Debian past Mint is very comfortable. The new Mint 17 is a Long Term Release and there will only be fixes and patches for the next few years. There are too many changes going on with Ubuntu and I am not interested in the ride.

All this is brought about by an article at ArsTechnic.com, Mint 17 is the perfect place for Linux-ers to wait out Ubuntu uncertainty. It is not technical and while there may be many names like Mate or Cinnamon that are unfamiliar the article is a very good description of Mint and it's features. Mate and Cinnamon are the GUI interfaces that run on top of Linux. While Mate is generally considered the most Windows like I feel anyone should be comfortable with Cinnamon.

Another feature i like especially for new users:
    However, there's one new app?HexChat, an IRC client. One possible reason for HexChat is that it automatically starts up configured to join the #linuxmint channel, making it dead-simple for IRC newbies to get some help with their newly installed Mint 17. It's a noisy channel, but in the few minutes we hung around, several people asked for and received assistance. If you're having problems, and searching the Web isn't yielding any answers, fire up HexChat and see if anyone can point you in the right direction.
    I have started gaming on the Mint 17 desktop and while I have run into a few issues a little research showed it was common problems for those particular games. I still play Watch Dogs and Skyrim on a Windows Vista machine and will likely build another machine to someday put Win 7 or 8 on it for games but I am moving more and more to Mint for everything, except a few Win only games. I like Windows well enough when I am using it to do something. It is when there is a problem or even just installing it I always end up frustrated and mad. Unless you have unsupported hardware Mint has gotten to be almost childs play to install and use for desktop type stuff.

If you are happy with Windows, Ubuntu, Kbuntu, Fedora or whatever great. Stay happy. If like me you are not give the ArsTechnica article a read. In the comments section people are providing links on how to try it without installing it, Live CD or USB stick. Most seem to agree with article.

Mint the OS for the old and infirm, the newb and the lazy and those that do not have the time to puts around with the OS and need to get something done!

Xtreme Legend
    ......Mint the OS for the old and infirm, the newb and the lazy and those that do not have the time to puts around with the OS and need to get something done!

Talk about ticking all the boxes....you must have been reading my mail.

Got to agree with you though, Mint cinnamon is nice and easy with the day to day stuff

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Talk about ticking all the boxes....you must have been reading my mail.

Got to agree with you though, Mint cinnamon is nice and easy with the day to day stuff
    Maybe. Maybe not....

Xtreme Cruncher
    <Linux Noob>
    So... I decided to dive in and try Linux (To force myself to get better with it I did a complete install over my old windows... no turning back), but I'm having issues with my wireless network. It seems to work just fine for most of the time, but will randomly drop out. When I open the networking window it shows no connections (even though there should be many in my area). Granted, the internet connection here is flaky and would drop out in windows, but it would automatically reconnect 30 seconds later - now I have to turn off the connection and turn in back on to get it to work again.

Any suggestions for a fix?

Yeah, not going to close this noob section any time soon...

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Otis, which Linux distro (Ubuntu/Mint/Arch/Slackware/Debian/Fedora etc and 32 or 64bit) and which version are you running, and which desktop environment?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    Otis, which Linux distro (Ubuntu/Mint/Arch/Slackware/Debian/Fedora etc and 32 or 64bit) and which version are you running, and which desktop environment?
    Ah, thought I mentioned that - Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, 32 bit, i386. If there's more detail needed I'm going to need some guidance on where to look for the info... or at least what you're asking for?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    <Linux Noob>
    So... I decided to dive in and try Linux (To force myself to get better with it I did a complete install over my old windows... no turning back), but I'm having issues with my wireless network. It seems to work just fine for most of the time, but will randomly drop out. When I open the networking window it shows no connections (even though there should be many in my area). Granted, the internet connection here is flaky and would drop out in windows, but it would automatically reconnect 30 seconds later - now I have to turn off the connection and turn in back on to get it to work again.

Any suggestions for a fix?

Yeah, not going to close this noob section any time soon...
    If you update your drivers, does that help?

Have you checked your wireless card manufacturer to see if they have any Linux drivers?

have you considered flipping the script and flashing your router with DD-WRT? I had a router that had flaky firmware and DD-WRT stabilized my wireless connections.

Or even more simple, just wiring up this computer?
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo197 View Post
    If you update your drivers, does that help?

Have you checked your wireless card manufacturer to see if they have any Linux drivers?

have you considered flipping the script and flashing your router with DD-WRT? I had a router that had flaky firmware and DD-WRT stabilized my wireless connections.

Or even more simple, just wiring up this computer?
    Double checking on the drivers - it's an EEE PC with default Ubuntu installed. I'll see what else there is for this.

For internet, it's definitely a flaky router, all 3 computers here have a hard time with it (Mac, PC and linux), but the other two recover gracefully - so much so that I don't even notice when it goes out unless I happen to be loading a page right at that moment (only happens a few times/day). Normal video buffers are longer than the outage - it literally just blinks - but the Ubuntu computer takes me restarting the computer's wifi connection to reconnect. I've brought it up to management, but they don't appear to be doing anything about it and I have no hard line access to circumvent the problem.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Make sure you have auto connect set to on in the network-manager or network settings.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Interesting.
    I have a similar machine running Mint 16 64bit (XFCE desktop) and have no WiFi connection problems. Any time the router drops out (which is rare for me) it reconnects automatically as soon as the signal is up again. PG's suggestion sounds like a good one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Make sure you have auto connect set to on in the network-manager or network settings.
    First thing I checked - even before coming here. (GUI's all look similar enough I can figure them out - it's when it gets to OS specific stuff I become a noob)

Updated most of the drivers last night - double checking everything is completely up to date now. Unfortunately out of town for the weekend so won't have much to update until Monday night probably.

I was thinking (limited Linux knowledge here) - If this problem persists, why couldn't I do a Cron job where every two hours the wifi turns off, waits 45 seconds, turns back on and let the auto-reconnect feature work? (This feature does work, I just have to manually turn it off and on again) That way I don't have to keep checking if it has internet connection...? (Not a main use system - using it to learn Linux and eventually serve some files for a home network if I ever get that far with learning it... aka signal interrupts won't be an issue as long as it's almost always on)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Someone good with scripting could do one that checks for a connection every few seconds and if it is down bring it back up. Or one as you say. Should not be a big deal.

I too have the same netbook. Never had a problem with it and several different Linux distros including Ubuntu, Kali and Mint. I feel confident the problem is the router. So a script to deal with the problem is probably the best idea if you have no control over the router.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    You could combine ideas use a Cron job to run a small bash script.

First the script:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

wlan=`/sbin/ifconfig wlan1 | grep inet\ addr | wc -l` 
    if [ $wlan -eq 0 ]; then
    service network-manager restart 
    else
    echo WIFI IS UP
    fi
    Copy this into a text editor of your choice and save it to your home directory as .<filename>.sh
    For <filename> call it buttmonkeyhamsterfetishscript for all I care, just pick a name that means something to you. The period in front makes the file "invisible" during a normal directory search so you can't accidentally select and delete it. The .sh extension makes the text file a shell script.
    Next make the script executable. Open a terminal and enter:
    Code:
    chmod +x .buttmonkeyhamsterfetishscript.sh
    For our next trick we'll create a CRON job to execute the script. Still in the terminal enter:
    Code:
    sudo VISUAL=nano crontab -e
    I'm afraid this is where things get messy depending on how your system is set up. Some distros use VI for the default editor for CRON. I don't know VI. At all. It's enormously powerful and fast, way faster than any version of Word ever written, if you DO know it BUT the learning curve is very steep. I use nano instead. That command should, I think, open crontab in nano.

Next, copy and paste this into the open editor window:
    Code:
    */5 * * * * sh /home/<username>/<filename.sh>
    Use your own username for <username> and your own filename for <filename>. If you used the period in the filename you need to use it every time.

One caveat: the crontab you just used belongs to ROOT, not you. If you want to run the job as your normal user open crontab without using "sudo".

I have to take my daughter driving so if I missed anything PG or OC should be able to fill in the gaps.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks DA! (So easy even I could do it! )

At the very end I wrote out and it says wrote 23 lines (I didn't delete the comments explaining how to use it) - so it looks like everything worked. Any way to check? Or just wait for it to go down?

Xtreme crazy bastid
    You should be able to see it in your system logs if the cron job is working, but the only way to know if the whole thing is right, as far as I can tell, is to wait and see if it does what you want it to do. If you don't seem to be having connection problems any more then I'd take that as a positive sign.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12192021222324 LastLast