Thread: Some LN2 benching with E8200+Asus Rampage Extreme and i3 530+ECS P55H-AK

Some LN2 benching with E8200+Asus Rampage Extreme and i3 530+ECS P55H-AK

Hi guys, this is my first posting here in Xtreme section, and hope not the last

I haven't benched in a while now, especially on s775 platform. Few months ago I finally got the Rampage Extreme, and wanted to try it since. Few days ago I got a chance for that. I had two of E8200 CPU's (no E0 lovin' unfortunately). My last attempt was with the very same E8200, but on GB EP45 Extreme when I got the 5301MHz (662MHz, NB on air). Too bad that I had to sell my beloved Team Xtreem GTR's, so had to use G.Skill ECO for the session. The setup was:

• Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 (first, not tested before: Q752A501 and second tested before: Q813A491)
    • Asus Rampage Extreme (BIOS: 1104 & 0403)
    • 2x 2GB G.Skill Eco 1600 CL7
    • GeForce 8800GT
    • Western Digital 320GB SATA
    • Corsair HX 850W

Isolation

I tried to insulate the board as better I could do, because I didn't want to lose the board on its first session During, and later after the session I realised that the stock cooling is not that much "friendly" in terms of insulating, and replacing everything with something else would be better solution. I had two dewars, about 20-25 liters. Later about this, during the text.

Few pictures of the first setup and other details

Temperatures, and all...

I don't know why, but the northbridge was rather hot during the session. Before the session I reseated the MBO heatsink and changed the thermal compound. Yes there was some big volts, but still, not so cool 50-60C was during the session. I used passive heatsink on the NB. I planned the chilled water for NB but had no time to fix it up. Later I got to an (rather desperate) idea. I took the spare Tek9 that I had and mount it with the zip ties onto the NB The temperatures then were much lower, about 20-25C, sometimes even around zero, but it rise quickly because the contact was bad, as I didn't planning something like that. I believe that LN2 directly on NB would get me I few MHz up with the FSB.

Finally, I ended up with 651MHz FSB. I haven't got a chance/time to play with REX before now, so I had to learn about the settings she liked during the session. I played a bit with CPU/NB skew's. I tried almost every NB skew combination, and got to a conclusion that 100ps was the best for this board. Also, for CPU, I used 300ps setting. Later, I tried the other E8200, that I tried before, and expected better results, but strangely, I ended up with that 651MHz wall that I couldn't pass. I noticed, however that with this one the board worked somehow better. It needed less voltage, for both CPU and NB for the same clocks, compared to the first one.

This one could even boot at 650MHz easily. And yes, I almost forgot to mention the CPU temperatures during the session. I used Voltcraft K102 thermometer, according to which the CBB was at 85C, and CB was at 100C. Pretty low, I know I haven't had both patience and LN2 left, so I don't know where was the CBB for the other one, but it worked up to 110-115C okay. I tested SuperPi, PiFast and wPrime. On the last picture here you can see how I managed the cooling of the board. I took stock cooling down, and put HR-05 SLI on the NB, and some passive Zalman on the SB. The PWM wasn't cooled with anything passive, and it was okay like that during this short session with the second CPU.

BIOS

Before this session I read much threads and posts here at Xtremesystems and i4memory forums which was very helpfull. Thank you guys for sharing your findings in those threads, it made things more clearly to me. I knew that I had to make decision about what BIOS to make, so I took 1104 and 0403. Before the session I tried bench with both of them and got some better results with the first one. So I flashed 1104 to BIOS1, and 0403 to BIOS2 just in case. During the session I worked with 1104, later, I tried the other 0403, but didn't get any better results in terms of overclocking (I didn't know if different BIOS had an impact on overclocking pontential, I guess it has, but don't know how much)

Settings used for the testing

CPU Voltage: 2v, 2.1v max (I noticed that CPU-Z doesn't show correct voltage above 2v), LLC: on. The second CPU didn't need that much, so I gave him 1.95v max.
    FSB Termination: 1.65-1.7v
    CPU PLL: 1.85-1.9v
    Northbridge voltage: 1.7-1.85v
    DRAM voltage: 1.51v
    Southbridge 1.5 voltage: 1.55-1.6v
    Southbridge 1.05 voltage: 1.1v
    FSB strap: 400MHz
    CPU/PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
    CPU Clock Skew: Auto or 300ps
    NB Clock Skew: 100ps seemed the best because I couldn't boot at 650MHz with other skew's
    Performance Level: benched at 11 (freezing at 10), I have tried to lower it to 15, but no good for 650MHz+
    PCI-E Frequency: 100-115MHz, couldn't boot at 120MHz+, I used SATA HDD
    CPU GTLVref/NB GTLVref/NB DDRVref: Auto (I didn't played with these settings)
    I am opened for any advice and suggestion about getting better FSB results, because I'm out of ideas

Results

Super Pi 1M/max FSB (5211MHz - 08.859s) - 6th place on HWB

Super Pi 32M (5084MHz - 9m 23.422s) - 5th place on HWB

PiFast (5160MHz - 17.95s) -6th place on HWB

wPrime 32M (5084MHz - 15.359s) - 9th place on HWB

Not much of an efficiency there...have to upload the results to HWBot after writing this.

Core i3 530 + ECS P55H-AK

I left the first setup to warm, so I can take down the insulation for the second CPU. As my only pot was on the REX, and I wanted to make a quick test with the ECS board, and my i3 530, I had to think of something else. I tried this CPU before, and managed to get 260MHz bclk - on the Gigabyte H55-UD3H. I did a review of this board few weeks ago, and got a 230MHz on air, just like on Gigabyte. This is very feature rich MBO, but its BIOS is "a bit" of a weak link. So, I wanted to try it on LN2 just for a max bclk run to see how it goes. As i mentioned before, a had no other pot, so in the end I used a coffee pot

Tried the large one, but the socket area is crowded, so I used the smallest one I had at my apartment. You'll see it on the pictures I didn't have much of insulation stuff left, so I put the CPU, mounted the probe directly on the IHS, and fixed it with the rubber and later with some paper towels. It certainly was fun to work with this pot If the board went freezing, I just raised the pot a little bit (easy because no mounting there ), and if the temps were going rapidly up (yes, it doesn't hold the temperature that well when empty ) I just pushed it a little, while I was pouring the LN2 in it.

I benched 10-15minutes like this, didn't want to push my luck because of bad insulation. The temperatures were around +20 to -50C I ended up with the same max bclk as I got on the Gigabyte, so I suppose this could be the limit of my CPU. The board was a bit strange during this quick session, but that may be because of this crappy "pot" on CPU But considering this is an ECS board, I think, it's not that bad, don't you?

Settings used for testing

CPU Voltage: 1.65-1.725v
    VTT: 1.45-1.475 (weired no boot at 1.5v+)
    CPU PLL: no PLL change option in BIOS
    DRAM voltage: 1.45v
    PCH voltage: 1.2v
    PCI-E Frequency: 110MHz

Results

Only max baseclock screen, and validation, sorry.

Thanks

In the end I'd like to thank to my friends/team mates: nikolas61 for lending me the (big ) pot, Bullet92 for the probes (these are hard to get in our country), Perica_barii for his tweaked WinXP, and my neighbour Pupo for his moral support and for killing my 8600GTS by accident at the start of the session

So that's all for now guys, I hope you weren't bored with my writing, and not that great English Comments are very welcome
    Last edited by Razer; 10-25-2010 at 01:13 AM.

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    love the shots of that coffee pot, that is the coolest

also appriciate all the info on the REX, about to do some benching with my REX
    and the more info the better... great stuff, thanks for the info and the effort, top notch work!
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice write up!

I love the Rampage Extreme board, its just incredible

you need to pick up a nice E8600 for your self, you will really see the board shine!

+1 on the LN2 coffee pot!!!!
    are you using the 400Mhz FSB strap?
    Last edited by V2-V3; 10-24-2010 at 09:13 PM.
    "If It Doesn't Overclock Its Broken"
    "NexGen Overclocking"
    "Overclocking, its a life style"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice Insulation On Rampage Bro

ON ECS Board Coffe Put Is Enough
    Asus Crosshair IV Formula
    AMD FX-8120
    ATI HD5750 Silent+ATI HD5770
    Kingston 1333 2*2GB
    GP1035B
    Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme

Sorry For My Great English

Quote Originally Posted by systemviper View Post

and the more info the better... great stuff, thanks for the info and the effort, top notch work!
    Thanks Glad you found it usefull. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me

Quote Originally Posted by V2-V3 View Post
    Nice write up!

I love the Rampage Extreme board, its just incredible

you need to pick up a nice E8600 for your self, you will really see the board shine!

+1 on the LN2 coffee pot!!!!
    are you using the 400Mhz FSB strap?
    Thanks I love it too and hope to get some E8600 soon

I forgot to mention, the FSB strap was 400MHz, yes. I will add it in the text. Do you think some other may be better in terms of overclocking?

Quote Originally Posted by ViViD View Post
    Nice Insulation On Rampage Bro

ON ECS Board Coffe Put Is Enough
    Thanks man, I agree about the ECS

P.S. I updated the first post with the HWBot submissions
    Last edited by Razer; 10-25-2010 at 01:03 AM.

Xtreme Member
    great job razer

Hmmm so what voltage would you recommend to use as im trying to get my i3 530 to 5ghz on water.

Have 4.6 atm with 1.467v

Quote Originally Posted by dejanbinladen View Post
    great job razer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shadow1991 View Post
    Hmmm so what voltage would you recommend to use as im trying to get my i3 530 to 5ghz on water.

Have 4.6 atm with 1.467v
    Hi,
    It all depends on the processor. I needed about 1.58v for 5GHz, on air. The CPU was benchable at 4950MHz on the same voltage, for Pi 1M. So, you should raise your vcore a little to get to that 5GHz. It shouldn't be a problem on water.

Xtreme Member
    good job

sorry for killing 8600

ing delta grill

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Razer View Post
    Thanks Glad you found it usefull. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me

Thanks I love it too and hope to get some E8600 soon

I forgot to mention, the FSB strap was 400MHz, yes. I will add it in the text. Do you think some other may be better in terms of overclocking?

Thanks man, I agree about the ECS

P.S. I updated the first post with the HWBot submissions

You will see more performance with the 333, 266, and best with the 200mhz strap but its a trade off on your max FSB, for high FSB clocking use the 400MHz strap.

did you try lowering the multi on your CPU to the lowest, it may be your CPU is weak and holding you back.

also check your North bridge heat sink contact, I was having bad contact and once corrected I could reach 685 FSB on my E8500
    Last edited by V2-V3; 10-25-2010 at 07:39 AM.
    "NexGen Overclocking"

Banned
    Yeah REX stock cooling is a pain in the arse to work around. I remove it all and replace the NB with a thermalright nad 40mm delta fan. The south bridge and mosfets, I chopped up the heatsink assembly from an old P5B Deluxe and it fits great.

Looks like I might have to bring my 8200 out of retirement for another spin :P

Xtreme Enthusiast
    best way to fix a bad mount on the REX is to add washers to bottom out the spring screws that hold the heat sink to the board
    "NexGen Overclocking"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Seems like you had a lot of fun there. Great isolation, results and ideas for cooling. Wish you have had some E86 there but I guess you're looking forward to buy some.
    Congrats my friend!

Coffee POT FTW

MBO Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3 // CPU Intel i5 2500k //
    GPU Gigabyte GTX470 // PSU Corsair TX650W //
    RAM 2*2GB Geil Black Dragon + 2*2GB Corsair DominatorGT // HDD WD 640GB + Seagate 250GB (410AS)

Xtreme Member
    good job

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas61 View Post
    good job
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by V2-V3 View Post
    You will see more performance with the 333, 266, and best with the 200mhz strap but its a trade off on your max FSB, for high FSB clocking use the 400MHz strap.

did you try lowering the multi on your CPU to the lowest, it may be your CPU is weak and holding you back.

also check your North bridge heat sink contact, I was having bad contact and once corrected I could reach 685 FSB on my E8500
    Thanks for the info I'll try lower straps when I get an E8600. I didn't try lowering the multi with the second CPU, will try thet the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKarmakazi View Post
    Yeah REX stock cooling is a pain in the arse to work around. I remove it all and replace the NB with a thermalright nad 40mm delta fan. The south bridge and mosfets, I chopped up the heatsink assembly from an old P5B Deluxe and it fits great.

Looks like I might have to bring my 8200 out of retirement for another spin :P
    Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that to P5B Deluxe sinks can go on REX

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet92 View Post
    Seems like you had a lot of fun there. Great isolation, results and ideas for cooling. Wish you have had some E86 there but I guess you're looking forward to buy some.
    Congrats my friend!

Coffee POT FTW
    Thank you my friend

Quote Originally Posted by Perica_Barii View Post
    good job
    Thanks

Xtreme Member
    Good clocks but keep pushing E8200 . I never tried mine with LN2 only on SS and the only thing I have is a validation.
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1222958
    It didnt want to pass 670fsb even with 6 multi(the board did 692fsb with other CPU no problem NB air cooled). But now my board is dead and I selled this CPU cause I have much better E8400 that`s the reason I never tried Spi with E8200.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by systemviper View Post

You ever get that 3845b027 920 cold?

Great pictures and sharing of the experience. I can't wait to do my Xeon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister
    Do you really go on your computer...to look at computers?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just pulled this of with a cascade :
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1474923

Seems like the cpu is fsb limited

Dell XPS M1730 - X9000 @ 3400mhz-4096MB 667MHz DDR2 - M8800GTX SLI- 17"WUXGA+
    EVGA E762 4Way SLI Classified - 980X @ 6Ghz Lnē 6GB Dominator - MSI 5870 Lightning

WWW.MADSHRIMPS.BE - Being Mad Doesn't Hertz You

Xtreme Member
    Is that art eraser you used on the board? Looks more putty-like.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by fl0w3n View Post
    Is that art eraser you used on the board? Looks more putty-like.
    No. That's Tekastrip or "rude rubber" which is used to cover humidity holes. It's very good and cheap - 3$ for one package (you can isolate whole board with just one package).

MBO Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3 // CPU Intel i5 2500k //
    GPU Gigabyte GTX470 // PSU Corsair TX650W //
    RAM 2*2GB Geil Black Dragon + 2*2GB Corsair DominatorGT // HDD WD 640GB + Seagate 250GB (410AS)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet92 View Post
    No. That's Tekastrip or "rude rubber" which is used to cover humidity holes. It's very good and cheap - 3$ for one package (you can isolate whole board with just one package).
    Sounds more suitable for the job than art eraser. What is the cleanup like?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Game View Post
    Good clocks but keep pushing E8200 . I never tried mine with LN2 only on SS and the only thing I have is a validation.
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1222958
    It didnt want to pass 670fsb even with 6 multi(the board did 692fsb with other CPU no problem NB air cooled). But now my board is dead and I selled this CPU cause I have much better E8400 that`s the reason I never tried Spi with E8200.
    Thanks That's a nice CPU and MBO you've got there, I believe that it has some more potential in it

Quote Originally Posted by fl0w3n View Post
    Sounds more suitable for the job than art eraser. What is the cleanup like?
    It comes off easily when it's still cold, but when it warms up, it's a tad harder, because it's very sticky. The best combination (for me) was to use pieces of paper towels (for tiny holes), and the rubber for covering larger surfaces (for both insulation and cleaning after bench).

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Razer View Post
    Thanks That's a nice CPU and MBO you've got there, I believe that it has some more potential in it
    For sure the board had more potential. It did 692fsb with E8400 on SS and NB on air, but not sure about the CPU (8200). May be on LN2 it can go a little higher but it seems the wall is arround 670fsb.
    Here is a quick 5000mhz prime screen.
    http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/2...3aa1161a0c.jpg
    It was not stable of course(NB on air) but its not so much unstable

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Welcome to XS Razer
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS