Thread: A question regarding ATI cards...

I am Xtreme

A question regarding ATI cards...

I have been dying to give one of the ATI capable projects a try, first what you guys suggest?

Also I see that they launched the HD6xxx brand-why are these cheaper than the HD58xx? I figured I would ask here than the crazy news section

Thanks guys

Xtreme Cruncher
    AMD card projects are, Milkyway@home (3d mapping of the galaxy) Collatz Conjecture (trying to solve an unsolvable algorithm) and DnetC (I dunno what this one does.) For kicks Id recommend trying out DnetC; I dunno what it does but on a 5000 card they do crunch alot of WU's. MW@H is also a fun one, WU's take 2 minutes to complete on a 5870. The science of all those projects never really grabbed me too much so almost all the time my 5870 sits idle until I sell it next week (going to be replaced with SLI gtx 480's.)

the 6000's are a rework of the 5000 architecture; AMD is pulling a Nvidia with their naming scheme, the 6850 and 6870 should have been named 6750 and 6770 but they upped them to 800's for marketing reasons.
    XTREMESupercomputer: Phase 2
    Live up to your name - November 1 - 8
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think the more popular here is Collatz conjecture. I run Milkyway@Home on my 5870 but that's just because I prefer Space to numbers - anything's better than being idle

Summary from Wiki;

"MilkyWay@home is an ... attempt to generate highly accurate three-dimensional dynamic models of stellar streams in the immediate vicinity of our Milky Way galaxy."

M@H Site Info http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/science.php

My internet is playing up so you'll have to search for collatz yourself ;p
    Nymph - Xeon 5675 @ 4.1 w/ x2 680
    Ikaros - i7 920 w/ 275 - Build In Progress

Long live LGA1366

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by trn View Post
    AMD card projects are, Milkyway@home (3d mapping of the galaxy) Collatz Conjecture (trying to solve an unsolvable algorithm) and DnetC (I dunno what this one does.) For kicks Id recommend trying out DnetC; I dunno what it does but on a 5000 card they do crunch alot of WU's. MW@H is also a fun one, WU's take 2 minutes to complete on a 5870. The science of all those projects never really grabbed me too much so almost all the time my 5870 sits idle until I sell it next week (going to be replaced with SLI gtx 480's.)

the 6000's are a rework of the 5000 architecture; AMD is pulling a Nvidia with their naming scheme, the 6850 and 6870 should have been named 6750 and 6770 but they upped them to 800's for marketing reasons.
    That really ticks me off...

and DnetC does random different "academic research and public-interest projects." Currently working on RC5-72 which is to break a 72 bit encryption that used the RC5 cipher.

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

I am Xtreme
    So these cards are cheaper because they are not as good as the 5xxx series?

Quote Originally Posted by trn View Post

DnetC is to crack an encryption scheme i would not crunch for for it as the point is to make things less secure for internet trafic so it dose not benefit society

Quote Originally Posted by CaptMorgan View Post
    So these cards are cheaper because they are not as good as the 5xxx series?
    not really better or worse in performance, the die size and power consumption are down, but the 68xx are the successors to the 57xx and the 69xx (not a 68xx x2) are the successors to the 58xx
    Last edited by zanzabar; 10-23-2010 at 12:06 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    not really better or worse in performance, the die size and power consumption are down, but the 68xx are the successors to the 57xx and the 69xx (not a 68xx x2) are the successors to the 58xx
    6xxx's series are better than the 5xxx's just the full line of 6000's are not released yet; only the mid level cards. The new numbering scheme is really throwing people off (as they designed it too i'm sure.) And also as Zanzabar points out the die size is reduced so that makes manufacturing cost lower for AMD.

And remember, the 6870 is NOT the successor to the 5870, the replacement for the 5870 will be the 6970 which will have improved performance vs the 5870. The 6870 is the replacement for the 5770 of which it improves on.
    XTREMESupercomputer: Phase 2
    Live up to your name - November 1 - 8

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptMorgan View Post
    I have been dying to give one of the ATI capable projects a try, first what you guys suggest?

Also I see that they launched the HD6xxx brand-why are these cheaper than the HD58xx? I figured I would ask here than the crazy news section

Thanks guys
    What do you have for ATI cards at the moment?
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    Thanks zanzabar, in retrospect that is what I had been thinking and also had read from the forums-but was not positive. The new pricing had seemed to good to be true and thought it was not as much of the "class up" with the numbering scheme as it appeared.
    Though maybe more appropriate for the news or ATi section, I figured I would be able to get a better answer from my fellow DC friends- I have to weed through the news threads with everyone and there

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    One thing to point out is AMD cards need to have a double-precise float point to work on MW@H WU's. Even an HD38x0 will net a good number of points. It's amazing that these high-end cards are 10x as theoretically powerful as our CPU's and yet many projects haven't figured out a way to take advantage of them.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsama View Post
    It's amazing that these high-end cards are 10x as theoretically powerful as our CPU's and yet many projects haven't figured out a way to take advantage of them.
    Interesting point Bobsama
    [SIGPIC]http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af195/wcgsig/566162.gif[/SIGPIC]

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    That takes abaut from year 2004, and my post in my sig till last year.
    And today even password recovery tools gpu took over fpu and DO gpu jub 300 times faster