Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FM announces changes to ORB

I am Xtreme
    i think the next we thing we can do is ask for a remake of 2001SE, those games were quite fun to watch, and especially if they looked really good with DX11+ technology.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

-_-
    Thanks for listening FM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    I'll add my name to this elpida graveyard as soon I even think about running 32M. (yes, the thought is enough)

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by FM_Jarnis View Post
    ORB Support of Legacy Benchmarks - Round 2

Last week we made an announcement about the upcoming full rewrite of the ORB, complete with some changes and a planned discontinuation of legacy benchmark ORB support. We asked for your feedback and boy did we get it. In fact we were taken completely by surprise by the number of people who wanted us to continue supporting older benchmarks.

We are really pleased that so many people still find the older benchmarks useful and entertaining. So, we took another look and discussed the subject at length, considering what could be done, with all options on the table.

After considering the situation, we decided to take the time and do the extra work to continue supporting older benchmarks. It can't be done in time for the launch of the new service, but adding support for 3DMark03 and 3DMark05 to it will be our top priority. There will be a short transition during which 03/05 support will be unavailable.

As to 3DMark 2001 SE, we debated on it a lot but ultimately it boils down to several obstacles that, in combination, prevent us from adding it to the new system. First, even today 3DMark 2001 results in ORB are no longer validated in any way as the hardware component detection routines that shipped with it are not compatible with today's hardware, so the benefits of ORB validation are already very limited - the SystemInfo component used is completely different and cannot be updated like with 03/05/06/Vantage. The result format also has nothing in common with the later benchmarks, unlike 03/05 that are much more straightforward to support.

Then there are the usage figures - 3DMark 2001 SE usage is only 1,5% of monthly benchmark results in ORB (In comparison, 3DMark03 is 2,6% and 3DMark05 is 4,8% of total monthly usage. 3DMark06 and Vantage together are over 90% of all 3DMark results). I know some of you are going to be disappointed, but when you combine the technical issues blocking reasonably easy implementation with the usage figures, we still have to stick with the hard choice of retiring 3DMark 2001 SE support with the launch of the new service.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to post or get in touch with us. We really do care what our community thinks and as always, further feedback is more than welcome.
    Reasonable.. Thanks for listening.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    i think the next we thing we can do is ask for a remake of 2001SE, those games were quite fun to watch, and especially if they looked really good with DX11+ technology.
    That would be sweet!! I don't really care so much if it has DX11 or not, but I do like the way 01 can be run.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by chuchnit View Post
    That would be sweet!! I don't really care so much if it has DX11 or not, but I do like the way 01 can be run.
    i liked how they ran the same thing but at different settings. the 4 defaults in vantage are all pretty decent jumps between the previous, but dont really find the stressed point

if they had just 2 benchmarks, low and high:
    low is 1680x900, in one pass its little AF no AA, in the second pass its lots of AF and a little AA and a few more features turned on.
    high is 1920x1080 and the first pass is again, little AF no AA and a few features, and high is lots of AF and a bit of AA and all features maxed out.

i was not happy at how ugly and slow the entry level setting looked. just up the resolution a bit and its so much nicer for nearly the same framerate. so i think were at the point where that can be left alone at 2 higher settings since it supports every monitor out there with a dx11 card i bet. and just play with the little stuff in the background that makes it clean up the image.

also whens the last time we had a benchmark with cars+explosions, rpg like elements, or a cool fight scene
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

NooB MOD
    Yes, customisable run order + allowing the card to cool down between tests + the ability to spend time learning LODs for each test = fun!

Long live 03 by the way.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Uber Raid King
    well that seems to be a good compromise to a sticky situation. well done FM!
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Legend
    Sounds good.
    Can you pass 3DMARK01 to HWBOT.
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Related to this, the new ORB is now online. Feel free to try to break it and stuff...

3DMark 03 and 05 support is temporarily missing - it will return as soon as possible (actual timetable depends on how many things break in the next week or so... it is first in line for implementation as soon as the system is confirmed stable and 3DMark 11 has launched)

Xtremely Addicted
    Thanks for the 03 & 05 support, much appreciated

Just an early heads up, the work is complete and 3DMark03 and 05 benchmarks are again fully supported by 3dmark.com (new submits)

Old results are in progress of being transferred and converted. This is expected to take until sometime next week. Don't panic if yours is not there yet - they will appear.

Related to this, there is also a process of converting old 06/Vantage/11 scores to a new (internal) format - existing old scores are still viewable, but may lack some detailed information until the process is complete. Again, this is expected to take until sometime next week (millions and millions of benchmark results take some time to process).

Let us know if you have any issues with 03 or 05. We'll make an official announcement of this next week but I thought you guys would like to know as soon as the code was live.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for listening!! Like Dinos suggested....any chance of passing 01 to the "Bot"??

More & more very expensive, quickly obsolete parts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Expat GriZ View Post
    Thanks for listening!! Like Dinos suggested....any chance of passing 01 to the "Bot"??
    I know our guys have talked to HWBot guys about it, but I think there are some practical issues that are preventing it, tho I'm not sure what the exact situation is.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234