Thread: Semi-Ancient 9800GX2 problems

Xtreme Addict

Semi-Ancient 9800GX2 problems

Over the past month this lingering issue with my 9800GX2 (2 years old) has been getting worse. It simply refuses to assign one of the GPUs to "primary" during boot, so while all power LEDs are lit, the blue one indicating the primary GPU never does. My P5Q-E will just beep a "No-VGA detected" while the system hangs. Usually after 3-10 cold boots the card will finally assign a GPU to primary. I thought this could be a power supply issue but given that my power supply is more than adequate (fairly new OCZ 700W) and that the computer got through the Heaven benchmark just fine (after it managed boot up). This issue has been getting progressively worse (requiring more and more restarts)-today the card simply quit in the middle of windows and I got a solid blue screen without text or artifacts. It's become so inconsistent that I've switched to my backup 8400GS which boots up fine all the time.

I don't really understand what's going on... I'd expect a dead card to never start up at all, but this 9800GX2 randomly works.
    1.7%

Xtreme Addict
    does it seem to matter which gpu it's plugged into?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 570091D View Post
    does it seem to matter which gpu it's plugged into?
    Nope, it'll try to assign the same GPU to primary regardless of which is plugged in -it's just a matter if it manages to do so.
    1.7%