Thread: First WC Build

Xtreme Member

First WC Build

So after finally building a new computer (as in my sig), I have reached the point where I'm almost out of useful things to buy for it. This is where water cooling comes in. The problem is that I live in New Zealand. This means my selection of parts is somewhat limited. Here is a link to an index of local shops, and is basically all there is to buy in New Zealand, unless someone else knows of a local shop not on PriceSpy, or an online shop with reasonable international shipping rates.

Initially I just want to cool my processor, however I do intend on upgrading my video card to a card (perhaps two) with normally spaced cooler mounting holes instead of the rectangular nonsense on reference 460 PCBs.

The parts I plan on buying are as follows:

EK Supreme HF Acetal/Nickel (Performs well, AM3 mounting hardware, available locally)
    DDC 32./EK X-RES 140 (Prettier/smaller than a D5/separate res, $100NZD (~$75USD) cheaper, available locally)

And for the stuff I'm not so sure about:

Radiators/fans:
    I'd like to go completely internal, however my case may limit this. I could feasibly just get a bunch of 120 rads, however this is not cost effective. I might be able to fit a 240 on the top exhausts, depending on whether the fan mounts line up. As for which rads, I'd like to use some slower quieter fans, so something with a lower fin density is needed. The EK Coolstream rads, while acceptable, aren't exactly stellar performers. They are however, available locally, and relatively cheaply. I don't quite have the noise tolerance for a whole bunch of fast 38mm fans, so I'm thinking about some slower 25mm fans in push/pull. The Zalman F3 has a good performance/noise ratio on heatsinks, so I imagine it would perform similarly on a lower fin density radiator. Before anyone mentions it, I can't get any Gentle Typhoons here , this is unless someone knows a place with reasonable international shipping.

Tubing/fittings:
    I think I'll get some compression fittings, purely for aesthetic reasons. Not sure which ones to get, nor where to get them. I hear good things about Tygon tubing, although once again, not sure which diameter, or where to get it. I'd like some opaque black or white tubing, however if it's going to be a pain to get, or if it's really expensive, I'd settle for clear.

Coolant:
    From what I gather, distilled water is as good a coolant as any of the branded WC coolants. Are any additives necessary?

Here's a picture of the inside of my case, just for reference. I'll take out the top four drive carriers and put the pump/res there. If necessary, I'll cut out the top half of the drive rack all together, to put a rad on the upper front intake.

I don't think I have forgotten anything, but chances are there is something :p

Any help would be much appreciated, I want to get this done right first time.
    Water
    Air

WC: EK Supreme HF | EK FC-6970 | 2x DDC 3.25 | EK DDC Dual V2 | EK Res X2 250 | TFC X-Changer 480

Xtreme Enthusiast

First thing, you WILL get flamed for starting another "first wc build" thread, and/or not using the search....

But ignore that...

Same cpu block i have, looks the best of available options i reckon,
    that pump and res is a common choice, i dont like it but thats just looks not performance.

i have HWL SR1 rads, low fin count for low flow fans, im running enermax 140's at 750rpm. 7 fans still SILENT!
    As for size, get a dremel and make your own rad mounts. u could fit a triple 120 or double 140 up top easy.
    and another on the front.

tubing: minimal price diff for colour, i prefer 1/2 ID, looks good under lights and better flow, but harder to make tight bends than 3/8.

I like BP true silver comp fittings, kills 3 birds with one stone, solid fittings, anti-bact silver, look the BLING BLING!!

ive only ever added zalman coolant to an old reserator, from what i have read dyes and additives just seem to clog up alot of blocks.

PC case gear won't ship international
    But The Koolroom will! (in Melbourne)
    Stelios is a legend

http://www.thekoolroom.com/

Quote Originally Posted by nvmc View Post
    I want to get this done right first time.
    you won't!
    it's a learning experience, take it slow and enjoy.
    Last edited by Creekin; 10-26-2010 at 04:56 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Your best bet is to learn about watercooling, the physics involved. You need to know your:

Heatload
    Budget
    Expected overclocks
    Acceptable noise levels
    Room to fit it all

Only one way to learn and that read, make bookmarks, read lots of posts, absorb it................ Over the next few weeks.

Don't rush it. It's easy to 'click and buy', it's not easy to fix the MANY noob mistakes we see all the time.

Use this link, it was written by me for a person different than you, but maybe a lot like you for WC info.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...96&postcount=3
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H