Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSI GF4 Ti4800SE VTD ----> how to vmod it?

Xtreme Member

MSI GF4 Ti4800SE VTD ----> how to vmod it?

So I have MSI GF4 Ti4800SE VTD. You can see the card here: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...il.php?UID=407

The card can do 320/720 with the stock cooling, so I want to vmod the GPU and MEM. Please tell me how to do it?
    I will cool the card properly when I vmod it.

I will try to find digital camera in the next few days to show you some pictures of the card.
    Tomorrow I will tell you the IC's numbers ... right now I'm not at home.
    Last edited by V I P E R; 01-07-2004 at 07:41 AM.
    .:If It Isn't Broke, Overclock It!:. .:Overclock It Til It Bleeds!:. .:If you can read this, then you aren't "well" Overclocked yet...!!! :.

Hi,

Welcome to XS.

If you can provide some high res pics of the card without the heatsink on then we should be able to sort something out.

In the mean time if you can tell me what these chips are?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g4ti4800se-vtd8x.jpg 
Views:	821 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	7344  

Xtreme Member
    I will tell you what these chips are in about 3-4 hours, in a mean time here is a picture of the back of the card, if you need to tell you some more information about other elements tell me.
    I will try to take some high resolution photos of the card today or tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	751 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	7358  
    .:If It Isn't Broke, Overclock It!:. .:Overclock It Til It Bleeds!:. .:If you can read this, then you aren't "well" Overclocked yet...!!! :.

Xtreme Member
    Holst the chip on the upper left side of your picture is (SC2,5 1565IS0252), and the chip on the right side of your pic is (IOR 305M2Y2UF7313).

The IC's on the back of the card are: upper left corner (ISL6225CA G0249AABF); down left corner (ISL 6525CB PO249ACCM).

I hope that this info will help. Soon I will put some hi res pics.
    Last edited by V I P E R; 01-12-2004 at 06:24 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Here are the pics:
    http://dimitar.dinev.com/vid1.jpg
    http://dimitar.dinev.com/vid2.jpg

I hope that the pics will help.

I also found this thread:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...876#post137876

The IC's are the same but I still want somebody to confirm that the mod will be succesful for me.
    Holst if you can mark my pictures of the places where I have to measure the voltage I will be very thankful to you. I didn't understand well from the thread for the Albatron about the measuring and it will be good to have some pics before measuring ... I don't want to blow the card .
    Last edited by V I P E R; 01-12-2004 at 07:41 AM.

viper, i have the same exact card, i read all the stuff on the other forum thread, and was able to vmod the gpu, i topped out at 350mhz for the core, i cant figure out which capacitor to get the ram voltage so i didnt mod it yet, but follow the posts on the other pages on how to do it, the albatron 4800se is has a remotely identical board setup, and if u find where to get the ram voltage gimme a heads up please

gpu voltage: 1.68

vmoded : 1.92

Xtreme Member
    i0n_d1ssonance the IC's of my card are the same as the Albatron card, but I don't want to risk the life of the card yet. I want somebody to confirm where and how I have to do the mod.
    Can you mark on one of the pictures that I attached above the measuring points and also to tell me which IC did you modded and how.
    If you can give me pictures it will be easier.

Holst ... where are you man . Please help here.
    Last edited by V I P E R; 01-14-2004 at 12:33 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Here are the data sheets for those ICs:

ISL6225CA
    ISL6525CB

I am stuck on an old linux laptop and cant read the IC layout on those sheets. Maybe someone (holst perhaps) can read them and help you decide what pins are the ones for mod.

I could read some of the sheet for the ISL6525CB and it looks like pin #5 is the FB pin and the one you need to mod. You need to take a resistence reading there first and also a voltage reading with the card powered on first before doing anything.

Take the card out and place the red probe on the pin 5 and black on any ground. Be sure you have the meter in OHMS obviously. Whatever that reading is, a good resistence to start with is 20-30 times the reading you get....then go from there.

The only way to tell if the ISL6525CB is for vgpu or vmem is the voltage reading, unless someone else knows for sure what it is. I will look closer at the sheets to see if I can read them and see what I think. If the voltage reading is around the 1.6v or so, then its vgpu, around 3v its the vmem.

Typically you are looking for FB, OVP, and VSEN pins. Sometimes several of them are present, but the main pin if there is the FB pin.
    Last edited by Hell-Fire; 01-15-2004 at 11:22 PM.

I like my women the way I like my processors...naked.
    I am not the HellFire that writes bios files. I work strictly on voltage modifications.

Xtreme Member
    Hëll ‡ Fîrë Thank you very much. I have the specs of the IC's, but I never made a vMOD of a video card, that is why I need somebody to tell me everything. From how and where I have to measure the voltage, to how to do the mod.
    I need to tell me which pins I have to touch with the black wire of the multimeter and which pin with the red. Please explain to me as I'm a 5 year old kid .

Also in this thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...7876#post137876
    the IC's are the same and it is quite good explained but I want somebody to tell me for sure what I have to do on my video card.
    I think that the mod will be the same as the mod in the thread ... but I want to check everything before doing something .
    Thank you again for the help.

Xtreme Mentor
    Redo that link as its dead friend.

I am not the HellFire that writes bios files. I work strictly on voltage modifications.

Xtreme Member
    Sorry man. Here is the link:
    click

Xtreme Mentor
    No worries.

Yes, do it the way pc ice describes. Will work beautifully. Be aware that in the first post or 2, they have the ICs mislabeled, but pc ice gets it straight on POST 5.

The ISL6225CA is for Vmem
    The ISL6525CB is for Vgpu

Do the mods the way he described and you will be fine. I wouldnt solder the ground to the IC unless you are good at soldering. The fewer times you have to solder to the IC legs the less chance of shorting 2-3 legs together. Use a ground point near the mount bracket since its easier that way.

I would also solder wires to the measuring points for voltage as it will be easier to check the voltage that way versus trying to get the probes in the right places once the card is installed.

pc_ice knows what he is doing, so follow his lead.

Xtreme Member
    Hëll ‡ Fîrë thanks for this info. I'm ready for the mod but I have a few more questions before doing it.
    1. I still don't know where are the measuring points, so please take on of the pictures that I have attached before and circle the places where I have to measure, because when I see the places it will be easier for me to solder wires.
    2. The vMEM mod is done on the ISL6225CA ... we use pin 1 for ground but where I have to solder the next wire .... I saw on the pictures in the other thread that PC_ICE soldered the other wire on an element next to ISL6225CA ... so please tell me which one is this elements and where I have to solder the wire on it.
    3. When I use variable resistors is it dangerous to increase the voltage in Windows or I should use fixed resistors just to be sure that nothing will blow up ?

So here are the questons ... sorry if I make you a lot of troubles . Thank you in advance and have a nice day.

Xtreme Member
    Ohh welll I know already how to do the mod, but I still don't know where are the measuring points, so please take on of the pictures that I have attached before and circle the places where I have to measure, because when I see the places it will be easier for me to solder wires.
    Can somebody help me?

Xtreme Member
    Bump

Please help me .... where are the measuring points?

Xtreme Mentor
    I am out of town at the moment and just checking the boards, so not much time to give you a thorough answer.

You may be able to follow the traces to a cap where you can check voltage.

Plug the card in the board, hopefully a board that is out of a case, and fire it up. Check mosfets, and capacitor legs that are punched through to the back of the card. If no cap legs are present on the back of the card, use the solder pads beside the capacitors.

Bascially you are looking for a place that will give you readings somewhere in the 1.4+v for Vgpu, and somewhere around 2.5v-3.2+ on the Vmem. They are usually near the ICs that you do the mods to...so start close to those. There is a large division in cards on where the Vmem and Vgpu sit at stock numbers. Main thing is to note that the Vgpu will generally run close to Vcore readings of many cpu's, and Vmem can certainly be as high or higher that most motherboards.

The base stocks for many Ti4600's is 1.65v on Vgpu , not sure on Vmem....I have seen 2.5v, then seen 3.45v...all depends on card. You will know when you find it as other voltage readings arent close to those of Vgpu/Vmem.

Like I said, I am not sure exactlly what the voltage readings will be, but look for something close to those I gave you.

The MSI Ti4800SE VTD is basically a Ti4400 that has support for AGP8X. It has been factory overclocked in many instances to have the same clocks as a Ti4600.

Try searching for mods on 4600s or 4800s and see if somewhere list the places to check voltages.

GL, and I will check this thread again Sunday night when I get back in town. In the mean time, maybe Holst can give you suggestions, or try a google search for your card:

try this in the search box: intext:Ti4600+Vmod

Enter it just like that and see what you get.
    Last edited by Hell-Fire; 01-23-2004 at 11:28 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Thanks MMouse.

There ya go Viper. Get at it. =D

Xtreme Member
    Thank you MickeyMouse. I have just one more question .... where is the ground. On the picture I see the measuring points but which point I have to use for ground?
    And also on which pins of the IC you have soldered the second wire? Because I can not see from that picture ... it seems that you soldered the wire to pin 5 and 6, but I have to apply the mod on these pins.
    Last edited by V I P E R; 01-26-2004 at 06:47 AM.

As I understand the Vmod on Vgpu has been done by soldering on 50koms variable resistance between pin 5 which is FB and pin 6 which is GND(ground) on the chip..it's OK.My question is -where i have to measure Voutput(Vo) on the pcb ..I'm not shure that measuring on pin 5 is correctly,give me more detailed information please..it's not quite clear on the pictures
    Last edited by niki60; 01-26-2004 at 01:09 PM.

Is there anyone who will be kind to explain me,or better -show detailed picture

Xtreme Mentor
    I would start with firing up the card and using ye ole multimeter and start testing caps legs on the back of the card. Alot of times the voltage measuring spot is near the voltage regulators.

In the pic MMouse put up, see where he soldered to the IC and then to the cap leg? Start with the other cap legs and see if you get a hit on a voltage reading that is close to the expected value.

Xtreme Member
    MickeyMouse thank you so very much. That's what I needed. MickeyMouse you ROCK .

thank's a lot..both of you

Xtreme Mentor
    MMouse is the heat.

Thanks for all the help man.

Lightbulb

ello everybody
    i have an Asus card gf4 4200 /8x ref 9280s s for super fast
    it s clocked at 275 for gpu & 600 for mem (3.3 ns )
    chips on it are isl 6525 cb -14 pins - for gpu
    isl 6225 ca -28 pins - for mem

i ve done the mod for gpu : stock 1.652 R between pin 5 fb & 6gd
    24 k 1.72
    18 k 1.74
    10 k 1.79
    5.6k 1.89
    4.7k 1.93
    3.3k 2.03 & stopped here ......

for mem , i m always looking for mod , R must be between pin 1 & 10 , started at 200 k , now at 4.7 k but nothing change
    It means that voltage is till at 2.83 .............
    if someone know more about that card ........thks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast