Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1973 Dodge Charger SE Brougham Restoration

Xtreme Member

1973 Dodge Charger SE Brougham Restoration

Hello everyone, this is my very first thread. I'm going to update the thread as I get further in my restoration. I haven't yet decided if i'm going to post pictures of the really minor changes I make but I'll see what you guys think I should do.

Pictures and a detailed description of the car are on the way .

Xtreme Cruncher
    Would love to see this
    Team XS: xs4s.org

Xtreme Cruncher
    Always glad to see a righteous ride being saved

and to the team
    Krunch on
    Help Save Lives Join World Community Grid!

Rampage Formula | E8600 | 2x2Gb Gskil F2-9600CL5D-4GBPI| Saphire 5870|2x intel x25-v 40gb, WD 640gb black| Silencer 750 | 655 > pa 120.3 > fuzion v.2 > ek nb5 > ek 250 | cm 690

Xtreme Member
    Although the 71 thur 74 B Body Dodges weren't a favorite of mine. Due the the costs climbing to crazy highs for the 68 - 70's B Bodys its making many people take a second look at the 71 - 74 models. I will be interested in seeing how you're restoration proceeds. My current progect is a 68 A-Body GTS its a 383 4 speed car, it's no longer original the last owner tubed it and put a 4 link setup on the narrowed Dana 60. Since it's already been tubed I'm putting a full cage in it and replacing the 383 with a 599 version for the pro street look. I belive this is what the last owner had started to do with the car before running out of money. I'm still trying to deside if I want to replace the 4 speed with an auto or not.

I am Xtreme
    Autos aren't as fun to Drive.........Yanking gears is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by wdrzal View Post
    Autos aren't as fun to Drive.........Yanking gears is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Agreed. My dad had a 1971 Plymouth Satellite for about 6 months...

The Roadrunner/Satellite/GTX is actually my favorite:

|-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

Xtreme Addict
    It's really cool that you're committed to doing this... unfortunately, most people who commit to restoring a car, get only a small portion of it done and realize how much work it is... and put it off until its 5 years later, and the neighbors are complaining. The guy behind us did that. He still has the front of the car he was going to restore sitting in the backyard, rusting. Shame. All he got done was restoring the metalwork of the main body of the car and I think the frame. Nice guy, and he has a really nice classic Ford sitting in his driveway he restored. Raptor would probably love it.

I'm not trying to demotivate you, I just hope you realize how much work it takes to do this, and that this isn't a cheap hobby. I do wish you good luck, and if you go through with it to the end I can't wait to see the results! Drag it and make a video of it owning a civic!
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 10-22-2010 at 12:01 AM.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Cruncher
    But If if you do finish it it can be so worth it.
    I restored my Elky ten yrs ago over the summer in my driveway
    and after I finished a custom painter who had watched it all stopped by
    offered me a job, best career change I ever made
    Help Save Lives Join World Community Grid!

Rampage Formula | E8600 | 2x2Gb Gskil F2-9600CL5D-4GBPI| Saphire 5870|2x intel x25-v 40gb, WD 640gb black| Silencer 750 | 655 > pa 120.3 > fuzion v.2 > ek nb5 > ek 250 | cm 690

Yep - helping a guy here restore a '69 AMC AMX in big bad orange...390 engine, it's going to be AWESOME

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)

Entertainment Setup

Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    It's really cool that you're committed to doing this... unfortunately, most people who commit to restoring a car, get only a small portion of it done and realize how much work it is... and put it off until its 5 years later, and the neighbors are complaining. The guy behind us did that. He still has the front of the car he was going to restore sitting in the backyard, rusting. Shame. All he got done was restoring the metalwork of the main body of the car and I think the frame. Nice guy, and he has a really nice classic Ford sitting in his driveway he restored. Raptor would probably love it.

I'm not trying to demotivate you, I just hope you realize how much work it takes to do this, and that this isn't a cheap hobby. I do wish you good luck, and if you go through with it to the end I can't wait to see the results! Drag it and make a video of it owning a civic!
    Not only the time the money as well. If your like me and married then you have to add in the costs for all the bribes to the Mrs. My new short block for my Dart not only had it's cost but the cost of a new hot tub for her as well. Not to say I won't be using the hot tub as well but you get my drift. I've got three years into this project now and the body is almost ready for paint.

Xtreme Addict
    Nice guy, and he has a really nice classic Ford sitting in his driveway he restored. Raptor would probably love it.
    Yea I would, haha.

I really want one of these: 1960 Ford Starliner:

|-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yes yes, it takes a lot just to finally get into PC modding, i can't imagine a car Good luck, my uncle has a Fairlane sitting in the back of our house, years ago they were trying to put the engine in and found they needed some special plate for the transmission and i haven't seen or heard anything since
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Robinson View Post
    Yep - helping a guy here restore a '69 AMC AMX in big bad orange...390 engine, it's going to be AWESOME
    They have AMCs in France?
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

AMC was part owned by Renault...although there were never any official dealers here, due to the fact that even the 'small' engines were twice to three times the size of locally produced vehicles (average engine size was 1.1litres)

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)

Entertainment Setup

Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Robinson View Post
    AMC was part owned by Renault...although there were never any official dealers here, due to the fact that even the 'small' engines were twice to three times the size of locally produced vehicles (average engine size was 1.1litres)
    Yea, I knew that part. They brought a ton of Renault models into the US but I didnt think they brought AMCs to France. Was that AMX specially imported?
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

Xtreme Member
    Hello everyone,

Sorry about waiting so long to update the thread and give you guys some pictures but I've been having troubles getting the pictures from my digital camera to my computer.

Here is a picture of the car at the previous owners house. My pictures are on the way, I'm just having some technical difficulties.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73 Charger SE.jpg 
Views:	2502 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	108873  

Cruncher #1: i7 860 @ 3.6GHz
    Cruncher #2: "WatSon" i7 4670k @ 4.0GHz / GTX 760 for GPUGRID

Xtreme Member

I'm well aware that most people don't succeed in their restorations. I'm also using this thread as a little motivation. Its my dream car though so I don't care how long it takes nor how much it will cost, I just want to drive it.

I also work part time and am a full time student so I'm taking the whole process pretty casually.

Xtreme Member
    Sorry for the long delay everyone but I've finally been able to get my photos onto my computer. These first pictures are of my charger shortly after getting it to my house and after a little cleaning.

Devil kept pokin'
    Rust, the most worthless chemical reaction ever

Good luck and keep us posted

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Holy . You have your work cutout for you Looks like a multi year renovation.

Xtreme Cruncher
    First off, strip out everything and get rid of the rust
    Team XS: xs4s.org

Xtreme Member
    Atleast it is a factory A/C car. That alone would make me willing to go all the way with that car. If possible it can be torn down to the body for a frame up, but it could be done without that much work if it is relatively solid. Good luck!

Lenove T420i i5 2530/16gb/64gbMSSD/500GB/PE4H running a 660GTX gaming on 24" LCD
    3DMARK FIRESTORM

Xtreme Addict
    wow man, that is going to be an awesome project! i do hope you have a barn or something to keep that baby out of the snow! keep us posted on the progress!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Holy . You have your work cutout for you Looks like a multi year renovation.
    Looking forward to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 570091D View Post
    wow man, that is going to be an awesome project! i do hope you have a barn or something to keep that baby out of the snow! keep us posted on the progress!
    Sadly I do not. The engine needs a lot of work and what I'm currently trying to do is get the engine out of that and my 78 Dodge powerwagon(you can see it in the first pic, its the big orange truck) and my Charger. The charger is a 383 and the powerwagon is a built 440.

The 440 is going into the charger and I'm trying to get the engines out and into the garage so I can work on them over the winter. The car however is most likely going to have to stay outside.

Pictures, and a better description of both engines are on the way.

are u going to do the body work for the restoration or replacement panels, it dosnt look to bad if u are going to replace the panels and maybe go with some lite fiber glass and redo the suspension and the power train. i bet it wont go quick though but it should be nice for a mopar when u are done, and i hope that u do things like fix the compression and flow that the EPA killed that year.

Quote Originally Posted by slaveondope View Post
    Rust, the most worthless chemical reaction ever

Good luck and keep us posted
    rust is a natural lubricant, ask nasa how make a moving part work in no oxygen environment and u will learn to appreciate it. and there are 2 main kinds there is iron(II) oxide that is not bad and prevents friction and can even strengthen some forms, but then there is iron(III) oxide and thats the flaking rust thats problematic.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast