Thread: question

Xtreme Addict

question

Can I shoot raw on this Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi camera? And if so, how do I do that?

I am Xtreme
    Is that a serious question? (Hey at least i dint say rtfm lol )

Change the file format/size to raw or raw+L in the menu
    If it isnt on L now then you havent even been shooting with the full power of the camera

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks, found it, and yes i was serious. lol

Xtreme Addict
    whats the difference between raw or raw+L, which should a dummy like me use?

Xtreme Guru
    RAW shoots RAW. RAW + L shoots 1 RAW image and 1 JPG image. The image editing software built into the camera coupled with the processor and processing at exposure time are much more powerful than any post processing. So some times it can be advantageous to shoot JPG. However, if your exposure was missed out of camera, it can generally be fixed in post as long as you're working with a RAW file.
    STARSCREAM
    3570k @ 4.6 GHz | Asus P8Z77-V LK | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | ASUS GeForce GTX550 Ti
    Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Corsair Force GT 120GB | SK hynix 128GB | Samsung 830 64GB
    WD Black 640GB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i
    Corsair AX750 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 | Antec P280 | Dell Ultrasharp U2410 | BenQ XL2420T
    ROCCAT Savu | Filco Majestouch-2 TKL w/Cherry MX Reds
    MEGATRON
    3770k @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    SK hynix 128GB | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB | WD Red 3TB (4) | Seagate 7200rpm 3TB (2)
    WD Green 2TB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i (2)
    Corsair AX650 | Corsair H80i

Xtreme Addict
    wow man, this is like having a new camera, this pic is a raw no editing. Hope it shows up..

I am Xtreme
    I am on my phone and dont see it.
    I hope you are not posting a raw file.....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    I am, i can see it on my iPad, but not on anything else. how do i make a raw into something viewable on the board?

Xtreme n00berclocker
    You would have to save it as a JPG. I dont see any image or attachment there.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6
    damn you guys...am i in a three way and didn't know it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian y.
    Im exclusively benching ECS from this point forward

Xtreme Addict
    ya i just see a image holder, no image
    many of us use adobe lightroom but unfortunately i think you may not be ready for that program yet.
    you can open the RAW into photoshop and then save as a jpeg

i would highly suggest doing a google search for: what is raw
    if you dont plan on doing much post processing then you might as well stick to jpeg
    if you want to do post processing then you will love RAW
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Guru
    The RAW image is just the digital data dump of the original exposure. It contains the most pure copy of your original exposure with the most accurate data. However, Canon's software is the only software that can render an image natively from that RAW file. Adobe Camera RAW can open and manipulate the file but it only does an interpretation of the data. It's not even close to 100% accurate. Same with any 3rd party software.
    STARSCREAM
    3570k @ 4.6 GHz | Asus P8Z77-V LK | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | ASUS GeForce GTX550 Ti
    Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Corsair Force GT 120GB | SK hynix 128GB | Samsung 830 64GB
    WD Black 640GB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i
    Corsair AX750 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 | Antec P280 | Dell Ultrasharp U2410 | BenQ XL2420T
    ROCCAT Savu | Filco Majestouch-2 TKL w/Cherry MX Reds
    MEGATRON
    3770k @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    SK hynix 128GB | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB | WD Red 3TB (4) | Seagate 7200rpm 3TB (2)
    WD Green 2TB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i (2)
    Corsair AX650 | Corsair H80i

I am Xtreme
    what image program you using weevil ? photoshop? or just the canon tools.

either one lets you save the image as a jpeg

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    I just finished installing Photoshop 5 extended last night. I was using the tools on Photobucket, but since I started using Windows Live Skydrive to host my pictures, (they don't change my pics like Photobucket does) I want to be able to edit them and then upload them, if that makes sense.

So now that I have PS5, how do I change the raws to jpegs when I'm done editing them?

I have figured out the basic fuctions of PS5, at least as far as editing photos.

Xtreme Addict
    I think I got it figured out. This pic is not edited, just converted to jpg.

Edit, now that I've been able to look at this picture, before and after the conversion to jpg, the pic looses a little quality, but it's still 10x better than it was shooting before.
    Last edited by Weevil; 10-17-2010 at 07:02 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Feels like a whole new worlds been opened up to me..

I cant believe how much better the pics look in raw, wow.

Xtreme n00berclocker
    That is because JPEG is a compressed format which is why it losses quality. It also allows the file size to be manageable versus say a TIFF or the RAW file.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6
    damn you guys...am i in a three way and didn't know it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian y.
    Im exclusively benching ECS from this point forward

I am Xtreme
    weevil, unless you changed something else besides the raw vs L,, and was it infact on L (large) ? or was it on S or M
    i think you are just feeling the placeebo effect. you just stated there isnt much difference, which kind of proves my placeebo effect comment.

canon's jpeg compression is pretty damn good and really, in my eyes, the only reason to shoot RAW is for heavy post processing, or more fine post processing than jpeg allows (easily)

here is another trick with raw that helps by enlarging the raw, and when you reduce the final jpeg or png or tiff, it helps increase the quality.

in the bottom of the RAW window there is a message, it looks blue, like a web link. it states what your megapixel is and color bit depth.
    click it.
    change your megapixel setting to the highest which i believe is 25mp or 21mp.
    you just made your RAW file a pseudo 25mp image. its not as good as if it really was a true 25mp image but because its raw,,, its able to be enlarged like that.

ok now do what ever you want to do to the image and save it as a jpeg and then open it with photoshop. look at the image size, its 25mp... you now have a working 25mp jpeg.
    do your thing what ever you want to the jpeg and reduce it to the size you want. and save it.

ok to compare go back to the raw and change it back to the standard megapixel size convert to jpeg, save it, open in PS5, reduce it to the same size as the first one and compare the two.

you should, although not always, see an increased sharpness and quality to the picture when compared to the standard jpeg.

the fact is is that the RAW images are only 8 bit according to photoshop, now you can change them to 16bit, thats cool. but with your camera and canon jpeg compression there isnt much difference between an unprocessed RAW image and the standard jpeg
    other than they eat up your memory card space real quick lol. and slower for the camera to process.

Heat Ebay Feedback