Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my werklog

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, great stuff Shawn. I plan to pick up some Darkness next Saturday but when does Five or Jesus Juice come out? I had quite a bit of the SurlyFest brew when I was at SurlyFest in September, that was great fun. I just had to stop by Stub and Herbs (great bar) today on my way home, it really was nice after a tough week. Good for me they had Wet on tap, damn that is good. I'm such a Surly fanboy now, nothing even compares.

Xtreme Member
    Surly Five aka Pentagram will be ready in the spring.

It will be very limited. Like Jesus Juice, its aged in Oak Pinot Noir barrels and pulls some flavor from them, giving it a sweet taste.

Last time I tried Jesus Juice, though, it had been stored too long and tasted almost totally like wine. Too strong for me even.

I work at the U so we stop by Stub & Herbs now and then to unwind and before hockey games.

Are you going to call this the "beer build" now? Just think you could sleeve all the tubing!

Maybe add a couple taps and a kegerator?

LOOOL I loved the drawings

good luck

Xtreme Addict
    I thought I'd actually try to provide a bit more content this time.

Completed build design and goals: This machine will be my power house that will look good and perform at levels not normally obtainable in a TJ07. To accomplish this goal, this will be a two part system.

murdermod TJ07
    a. Evga Classified SR-2 motherboard
    b. Dual Xeon cpu's
    c. Two sets of 6GB DDR3 2000Mhz C8 Dominator GT's
    d. An SSD or two (November-December)
    e. ATI's newest offering (November-December)
    f. Corsair AX1200W psu
    g. Chipset loop (dual radiator, pump/res)

2 Loop External cooling tower
    a. Unrivaled custom built ultimate cooling tower
    b. Aquaero controlled pumps, fans, and temperature monitoring
    c. Internal 12V Psu
    d. Dual Quad radiators
    e. Dual vertical reservoirs
    f. Dual pumps
    g. A single USB connection from the computer

I'm going to complete this build in a series of phases. I'm sure everyone does this but I'll organize it just to ensure you know where I'm at.

Phases:

1. Planning, designing, acquiring parts, brain storming.
    2. Completing a general mock-up of the external cooling unit.
    3. Complete the TJ07 build to include all hookup necessary for the external cooling unit.
    4. Finalize the design on the external cooling unit and start fabrication.
    5. New video cards, SSD's, and external cooling unit completed and installed.
    6. Completion of the build, pictures and party time.

I'm sure each phase will include sub-phases full of good times. The mock-up external cooling unit will just be a single loop, dual triple rad with a headless Aquaero so I can design and build the power supply and work out any control issues. It will be plenty sufficient as I iron out the details on the more refined cooling tower.

I figure I'll keep using Paint to try to express my ideas for your enjoyment. These are in no way meant to be accurate or drawn to scale, but just something quick for visualization. Feel free to provide your own for ideas.

I've also invited Damon (turtletrax) to show off his rig in here, hopefully he'll finally take some pictures of his sweet machine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueAqua View Post
    I thought I'd actually try to provide a bit more content this time.

Completed build design and goals: This machine will be my power house that will look good and perform at levels not normally obtainable in a TJ07. To accomplish this goal, this will be a two part system.

murdermod TJ07
    a. Evga Classified SR-2 motherboard
    b. Dual Xeon cpu's
    c. Two sets of 6GB DDR3 2000Mhz C8 Dominator GT's
    d. An SSD or two (November-December)
    e. ATI's newest offering (November-December)
    f. Corsair AX1200W psu
    g. Chipset loop (dual radiator, pump/res)

2 Loop External cooling tower
    a. Unrivaled custom built ultimate cooling tower
    b. Aquaero controlled pumps, fans, and temperature monitoring
    c. Internal 12V Psu
    d. Dual Quad radiators
    e. Dual vertical reservoirs
    f. Dual pumps
    g. A single USB connection from the computer

I'm going to complete this build in a series of phases. I'm sure everyone does this but I'll organize it just to ensure you know where I'm at.

Phases:

1. Planning, designing, acquiring parts, brain storming.
    2. Completing a general mock-up of the external cooling unit.
    3. Complete the TJ07 build to include all hookup necessary for the external cooling unit.
    4. Finalize the design on the external cooling unit and start fabrication.
    5. New video cards, SSD's, and external cooling unit completed and installed.
    6. Completion of the build, pictures and party time.

I'm sure each phase will include sub-phases full of good times. The mock-up external cooling unit will just be a single loop, dual triple rad with a headless Aquaero so I can design and build the power supply and work out any control issues. It will be plenty sufficient as I iron out the details on the more refined cooling tower.

I figure I'll keep using Paint to try to express my ideas for your enjoyment. These are in no way meant to be accurate or drawn to scale, but just something quick for visualization. Feel free to provide your own for ideas.

I've also invited Damon (turtletrax) to show off his rig in here, hopefully he'll finally take some pictures of his sweet machine.

This is gonna be awesome Kirk. I have been along for allot of the brainstorming and I think there will be a ton of awesomeness in this build, as usual when you touch a project.

I just completed my man cavern (minus paint and touch-ups) so I am hoping to hit full throttle on my build and would love to toss some pictures in here. I hope they dont get dwarfed to badly by this sick ass rig you are going to bust on everyone

Xtreme Member
    I never get how you click on someone's build topic and all you see is pages and pages of animations and elaborate drawings of what they are GOING to do. Seems like some spend more time making CAD drawings than actually working on the system!

I'm a detailed planner but doing elaborate drawings really does nothing for me. Just ensure you've thought out everything thoroughly and get to building!

Once you actually start putting things together or making pieces there are always situations that come up that can never be planned for in advance.

Unrivaled custom built ultimate cooling tower
    - can't wait to see this.

Guess I have just the opposite view to shawnowen ... I am always impressed by those who do the intricate planning and CAD or sketchup drawings before diving into the build. Seems to be particularly important when doing scratch builds, or something that is innovative.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    - can't wait to see this.

Guess I have just the opposite view to shawnowen ... I am always impressed by those who do the intricate planning and CAD or sketchup drawings before diving into the build. Seems to be particularly important when doing scratch builds, or something that is innovative.
    I'm with Shazza on this one. Especially when it is a fine builder like Kirk. He has many, many beautiful builds under his belt and they are due to attention to detail. Since I have known him I have not seen anything that has slipped past his planning, and thats what makes him a great builder.

I would have to build a good 8-9 unreal builds to have his foresight for problems, and I am really glad to have his helpful ear when I need it

Kirk will probably have built the system in his head a dozen times before he even touches a piece of hardware ... he does have the touch!

(and Shawn - wasn't meaning to take a shot at you. I agree there are some where the planning seems to be more than the build. Then you have builders like voigts, who shows that the planning is critical to the ultimate success of his projects).

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Kirk will probably have built the system in his head a dozen times before he even touches a piece of hardware ... he does have the touch!

(and Shawn - wasn't meaning to take a shot at you. I agree there are some where the planning seems to be more than the build. Then you have builders like voigts, who shows that the planning is critical to the ultimate success of his projects).
    Ha ha, thanks for the words of praise guys. Speaking of touch, I can't help but to keep touching the SR-2. It's the most impressive piece of hardware that I've seen lately. As Maxishine would put it, "It's just Massive!" I really like his enthusiasm, gets me all excited about hardware.

I'm starting to gather most of the parts needed, but what's holding me up most is waiting on some aluminum to get here. Then it's off to powdercoat once everything is fitted and tested.

Thinking about the electrical needed for the external I came up with this "schematic".

I need to figure out the relay system on the Aquaero and see if it will turn on via USB, then close a relay which I then can have hooked up to the psu to turn that on. If anyone has any experience with that I would appreciate your insight.

Xtreme Guru
    IIRC you cannot connect poweradjust to aquaero via aquabus, it should be connected/configured/controlled by separate usb cable, and it shows up as separate device in aquasuite software, that is if remember right what Shoggy wrote. You can check by PMing him.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    IIRC you cannot connect poweradjust to aquaero via aquabus, it should be connected/configured/controlled by separate usb cable, and it shows up as separate device in aquasuite software, that is if remember right what Shoggy wrote. You can check by PMing him.
    Oh good catch. I just looked over that now and you're right. I also overloaded it already. Maybe I'll just keep the DDC's at 12v and not worry about controlling them at all. Then just put all 8 fans on the Aquaero.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This is going to be one sweet build Kirk - I am eagerly waiting to see how you fit that monster SR-2 into the Tj07!

Keep the beer and pics flowing!

Not sure about that lube comment though as that sounds like something our good friend Skinnee would say

Xtreme Guru
    BlueAqua: If you don't mind having maximum voltage suplied to 2nd DDC pump to be ~ 10% less (~11V), then imho you can feed 1st DDC directly from first chan of aquaero (chan1 25W max for powerboosted aquaero), but 2nd DDC connected to it via this Poweramp. Same about many-many fans from one channel, you can put 2nd poweramp on 3rd or 4th chan to increase that chan output to 40W. Imho this is the simpliest way to control everything from single Aquaero.

Looking forward to this, break dancing Gingerbread men

Nice concept! Loved your builds so far (read: I am a fan) good luck
    Buccaneer

Corsair 800D, Asus P6T, I7 920 (corsair H50) Kingston 6 GB Ram, ASUS EAH5970 graphics, Raid 0,(2X1TB Caviar Black) LG BluRay Optical Drive. 2 X 1 TB Caviar Black for backup and file storage.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangals View Post

Haha

Xtreme Enthusiast
    NO UPDATES!? o___O
    Corsair Obsidian 650D - EVGA P67 FTW - Samsung F3 1Tb - 8Gb A-Data cheapest crap DDR3 - Intel Core i5 2500K w/ Corsair H50 - EVGA GTX 295 co-op - Corsair AX650

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12