Thread: [News] Intel to Accelerate Basin Falls Unveil, Coffee Lake Launch

[News] Intel to Accelerate Basin Falls Unveil, Coffee Lake Launch

https://www.techpowerup.com/232493/i...ee-lake-launch

According to DigiTimes, sources among Taiwan-based PC vendors have indicated that Intel's upcoming Basin Falls platform, which includes Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X processors on a new X299 chipset, will be unveiled at Computex 2017 (May 30th, June 3rd), in Taipei - two months earlier than expected. This move comes accompanied by an accelerated launch of the Coffee Lake microarchitecture, which still uses the 14 nm process, to August 2017 from an initial January 2018 launch. If true, this is big in a number of ways - that Intel would bring forward a product launch 4 months has some interesting implications - or at least, confirmations.

Remember that Coffee Lake is supposed to carry an increased number of cores in its mainstream designs. And we all know how Intel's line-up has almost been torn apart by Ryzen's aggressive core and thread-count, with AMD offering more cores and threads than Intel at virtually all price-points. And even if an argument is made regarding Intel's better gaming performance, that's one scenario out of many. Future proofing, professional work, multimedia, all of these assert AMD's dominance in a pure price-performance ratio. I, for one, would gladly give up some FPS in some games and accept an increased number of cores than go the other way around (especially with AMD's platform support and the number of patches that have increased game performance on Ryzen CPUs.)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Gee, wonder why . . .

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    Am I missing something because I believe I've seen that same roadmap about a bazillon times. Plus that's for mobile CPU's with Cannon lake (CNL) coming out in Q4 2017 and Coffee lake (CFL) coming out in Q2 2018??

Other than stating "a source from digitimes" I don't see any info that confirms any of this beyond a rumor....???

Xtreme Enthusiast
    so, 12 cores.
    Now the question ,will intel AT LAST upgrade the segments or just add a new tier (2000$?) .
    Logical thing would be to adjust, but you never know with blue.
    This year seems to be somewhat exciting. 6 core coffee lake maybe this year. Volta maybe this year. Vega.I was wandering about updating my pc at last. But i will wait till the dust settles
    Last edited by vario; 04-22-2017 at 05:01 AM.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    6c12t Coffee Lake in August.

You can put my name besides this statement EternityZX9
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    6c12t Coffee Lake in August. You can put my name besides this statement EternityZX9
    You know...sometimes you guys suck!