Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New DIY Projects soon!

I am Xtreme

New DIY Projects soon!

One small set of Acoustic Air Suspension Speakers and something to put my wasted not installed speakers to use. AASS will only be 50 to 100 watts and small meant for the front room. I'm looking for a Small Form faster receiver to power it. I will go for form as well since they are front room bound.
    Pioneer HPM 500, very similar but newer version of the HPM-40 crossover
    Polk 10" Woofer, Pioneer Mid-Range and Infinity Soft Dome tweeters.

The second set with AR 78LS crossovers, 15" (16" Frame) Pioneer Woofers and have not settled on Mids and Tweets yet. The woofer are from the CS-922A speakers I mentioned in the other thread.

These are planned as Bass Reflex since these woofers are not meant for Sealed Enclosures. A set of MTX 15" speakers out in the Garage might take their place. I have the Substance, now I'll try my hand at Form
    Last edited by Donnie27; 02-02-2011 at 05:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    The projects look like!

Doing something with one 12" 300W Cerwin Sub.

Reproduce some Pioneer HPM 500, since I have the 10" (Polk) woofer, Tweeter and Mids.

Old School Bass reflex similar to the Pioneer CS-922A or Sansui SP-1500 since I have Cross-Overfrom both, I think I'll use the Sansui.

Last but not least, one Killer Horn and 12" speaker for a Guitar Speaker. I have the Crossover as well.

Looks like one order for the 2nd of Mids got messed up.
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

I am Xtreme

This the Pioneer HPM 500 3-way crossover. Do be fooled by the wattage rating at all. The HPM 500 speakers and 35 watt per Channel shake pictures on the Sheetrock walls while playing distortion free Yet I didn't buy them for a night club or Stadium Rock Concerts.

Had I found one like this 10 years ago, my CS-922A might have never been broken down. It is identical to the tweeter in the 922's. They even sound the same I'm glad they are going in a set with adjustable the highs.

These are the low to mid ranged Sansui SP 1500 speakers. Good and bad here is that being very strong on doing what it supposed to do has the negative draw back of making me wish it was a Powered Crossover. Not lacking any power, that's not a problem though.

I suspect that the Cerwin Vega 310 3 way Crossover in my last project falls somewhere between these two. The 310 Rated for a lot more watts and these are NOT false watts ratings

The soft dome tweeters are smooth as silk More later!
    Last edited by Donnie27; 02-02-2011 at 05:50 AM.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme

Pioneer HPM 500's Nipon Chemi-Corp's Caps close up.

The reason a lot of folks don't like Pioneer (light electronic). Even though many folks say the HPM 500's sound better than the SP-1500 and you needed larger Sansui speakers to match them like the SP-2000 that cost lots more. Sorry I liked the SP-1500 another GI had connected a Phase Linear Series II system. They need more power (use to over ramped-up amplifiers in the Sansui Receivers and Integrated Amps) Connected a more refined Denon, Rotel, or even Onkyo or etc... it was a thing of Beauty! My old Kenwood Super 11 would light them up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh503Vo32HU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEnlN723ebw
    http://vintagespeaker.net/pioneer-hp...tage-very-nice

Sadly that $56.55 included almost another $100 shipping! Very similar to the HPM 40 I got for a friend for $50 bucks. They are heavy. They have a very good 10" woofer. One guy has 4 for sale but pick up only. They'd cost about 200 to ship and that'd kill a great price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-HPM-40-S...item4cf289bffc

Their Cabinets are just a little too small IMHO!

One of my favorite sites!

http://www.pioneer-vintage.de/

Still would love to get my hands on a set of HPM 1100's and a 909 Reel to Reel with good heads.
    Last edited by Donnie27; 02-02-2011 at 05:52 AM.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme

LOL, one more person fooled. Sitting in my computer room listening to Slow Ride by Foghat and then Stranglehold by the Motor City Madman my visitor thought and swore my Center channel and Sub were playing when both were turned off.

Did a bass demo with Micheal Jackson's song "Who Is It?". The bass is heavy and tight or low and fast even though the song itself is kind of Dark! All around demo done with Your Song by sir Elton Note the DIYer Center and JBL-SB-120 Sub sounds better, hehehe! It is just a shock how good these $100 dollar DIYer speakers sound alone!
    Last edited by Donnie27; 02-02-2011 at 05:53 AM.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    Now I know what my first project is going to be. One of the posters here did one and now I see this.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=infinity+tht

I hadn't considered using this same Infinity Sub that's sitting in my garage on not being used. I did want to do a Sub, but some simple. With the results this guy got with this same sub, I'm now having second thoughts.

Not only the Infinity 1252W, but I also have a sweet 12" Cerwin Vega left-offer Sub. In my Honest onpin, the Cerwin Vega is better than the Infinity.

I found two Pioneer woofers that need re-foaming, They went for $28.40 after shipping $13 kit and they'll be better than new since the new surround material was better than the old stuff!

I got all of the tweeters I need and might only need one more set of Mid-Range speakers Now to make space in the garage to work LOL!

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

c[_]
    If you build it right you can swap between the infinity and the CV through the access panel to see which you like better.

That link has me tempted to build one with my 15" CV 158.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    If you build it right you can swap between the infinity and the CV through the access panel to see which you like better.

That link has me tempted to build one with my 15" CV 158.
    Yes that's what I'm think as well. I just know you'll build something to bring down the house if you did

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

c[_]
    Have a Pyle 21" on order...

I am Xtreme
    Have a Pyle 21" on order...
    Dewd, you ROCK hehehe!

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290486672121

I hope it isn't a hot link and it works. These are very similar to the smaller HPM 60 woofers and not quite like the better ones in the HPM 100's.

The last two items are $12.50 for the surrounds and about $3 for the adhesive. Just any glue will not do because certain glues eat the surrounds up.

Been finishing up a couple of computers so I've been held up on this.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    I got the 12" Woofers yesterday and finished re-foaming them in about two hours. I'm a little worried that during the flexing to align them I may have snapped the coil on one of them. I will not touch them for 24 hours or some time after 8pm. Then I can test.

These woofers are nothing more than 6.5" 1" voice coil speakers back side with a 12" speaker front side. They look to have something like a 6oz magnet. They were made for good sound, not very loud sound theough.

I got the little 1" Cerwin Vega tweeters and two 5" ESS Mid-Range speakers. These look like at least two models Sansui used and called them Squawkers!
    Last edited by Donnie27; 10-27-2010 at 04:39 AM.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

c[_]
    snapped the voice coil while installing a surround? i'd be more worried about tearing a lead, the coil is fairly sturdy..

I am Xtreme
    snapped the voice coil while installing a surround? i'd be more worried about tearing a lead, the coil is fairly sturdy..
    My bad, that's what I meant! It didn't snap the lead. But it didn't align correctly so I have to do it over again. It is a PITA to get fresh glue off. The other speaker aligned perfectly

Should pick up another load of Birch from my friend this week-end.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    The rework job on the speakers didn't work

The first attempt of a simi folded horn failed as well. I used a cabinet that I ready had and attempted to mod it. Instead of being down, I gained more confidence. With my favorite plate amp going for only $99, I think is see my big speakers being replaced with some thing smaller.

Tuba is next!

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Member
    Very nice, gives me lots of ideas for my own DIY project.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by eternaljammer View Post
    Very nice, gives me lots of ideas for my own DIY project.
    I took the Infinity speaker out and installed the Cerwin Vega and it didn't fail as bad as I thought. Still not what I want. Maybe I can get some pics up later of this and the patched-up cabinet.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme

This was the failed attempt, one was very slight out of balance so I had to do them both over. Since it failed the first time, 13 more dollars meant I could have bought newer better speakers for the same price! Risk vs Reward is still worth trying to fix them first!

I haven't had time to do much with the Holidays and still working on the house. Hell, I even built two computers for friends kid's Xmas gifts.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    Ok, New 240W Dayton Plate AMP arrived!

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-805
    $99 with free shipping.

I'm going to do a Double wedge since I don't have room for two tuba's (got two 1200W Pioneer 10" Subs).

Kabuki or not, I'm going for an HPM 1500 design on my next set of mains.
    http://www.real-audio.ru/measurement...hpm-1500-2.jpg
    http://www.real-audio.ru/measurement...s/hpm-1500.jpg

No glass tweeter on Top, better mid and tweeter, I already have the woofer from my CSA-922a. Too bad these woofers don't like Sealed enclosures. They only seem to like small Ports and vents. I had several enclosures to try them on and no specs for them. Maybe there was something to the what Pioneer did. The enclosures Pioneer used seemed like they were too small for Ports and looked like they should have been sealed. They are not much larger than the sealed Optimus Mach speakers.

My old mains will be replaced by these or the Mach Ones, or which ever sounds better. One of the old mains will be used a Bass Guitar Cab and I'm not real sure what I'll do with the other. Maybe it will become another Sub?????
    Last edited by Donnie27; 02-02-2011 at 05:58 AM.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    So I got the particle board for the backs the speakers. I might even do the whole top section with MDF so I will not have to use contact vinyl or etc. I don't want to use MDF to mount the woofer. The width is cut to 18" minus the width of the blade. All I have to do is cut the length to 32". This gives me a lower section of almost 24 with a separate Grill and an upper portion that's about 8" with its own grill. The front facing will have two parts and back will have one smooth continuous section. I will still *notched so that wood grain up 2/3's and the last 1/3 black like the HPM-1500. I saw a set of empty enclosures on EBay for $200. The Top Grill will cove 3 sides.

I'm not sure if I'll use the Planar Tweeter with one of the 3" pioneer tweeters (2 on each cab) or use tweeters and use the Planar as a mid or alone on the 4 way 5 speaker CSA-922a Crossover. The lights aren't just bling or Kabuki but I still might use them but that's for another thread.

Why am I replacing the current mains? They are absolutely great at the top and bottom and the High-mids are sweet as well. The problem areas are the upper lows and lower mid/mid-bass ranges. Now that Cerwin Vega 6.5 Mid range speakers will get the Lower Mid and the either the Polk 5.5 or the planar will get the higher mid range. That is unless I use it for a Tweeter. Also I have at least 10 combination's of tweeters and Mid range speakers I can use. I have Optimus Mach One tweeter horns, Mitsubishi Soft Domes, Polk tweeters and mids, Sansui mids, Pioneer tweeters and Mids and need to start finishing and doing something with. All combination's are being bench tested. The good thing here is that Tweeters and Mids don't need enclosures, they are sealed.

I'm already laying out the Saint's version of the Wicked One Sub. It will have two 4ohm Pioneer 10" subs wired first as 2ohm then doubled back to 4ohm. These will be power by the Dayton AMP.

http://www.gourmetsaint.com.au/Subwoofer/

The bottom diagram, http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...s.asp?Q=2&I=42

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    So I got the particle board for the backs the speakers. I might even do the whole top section with MDF so I will not have to use contact vinyl or etc. I don't want to use MDF to mount the woofer. The width is cut to 18" minus the width of the blade. All I have to do is cut the length to 32". This gives me a lower section of almost 24 with a separate Grill and an upper portion that's about 8" with its own grill. The front facing will have two parts and back will have one smooth continuous section. I will still *notched so that wood grain up 2/3's and the last 1/3 black like the HPM-1500. I saw a set of empty enclosures on EBay for $200. The Top Grill will cove 3 sides.

I'm not sure if I'll use the Planar Tweeter with one of the 3" pioneer tweeters (2 on each cab) or use tweeters and use the Planar as a mid or alone on the 4 way 5 speaker CSA-922a Crossover. The lights aren't just bling or Kabuki but I still might use them but that's for another thread.

Why am I replacing the current mains? They are absolutely great at the top and bottom and the High-mids are sweet as well. The problem areas are the upper lows and lower mid/mid-bass ranges. Now that Cerwin Vega 6.5 Mid range speakers will get the Lower Mid and the either the Polk 5.5 or the planar will get the higher mid range. That is unless I use it for a Tweeter. Also I have at least 10 combination's of tweeters and Mid range speakers I can use. I have Optimus Mach One tweeter horns, Mitsubishi Soft Domes, Polk tweeters and mids, Sansui mids, Pioneer tweeters and Mids and need to start finishing and doing something with. All combination's are being bench tested. The good thing here is that Tweeters and Mids don't need enclosures, they are sealed.

I'm already laying out the Saint's version of the Wicked One Sub. It will have two 4ohm Pioneer 10" subs wired first as 2ohm then doubled back to 4ohm. These will be power by the Dayton AMP.

http://www.gourmetsaint.com.au/Subwoofer/

The bottom diagram, http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...s.asp?Q=2&I=42

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme

Oh well, will not get them finished for the Super Bowl

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    So last night with limited time, I got the inner baffles, facing/front and feet finished (Cut). I had enough time to dry fit the parts and they fit but a little too snug. Today just planning and marking the face plate for Speaker and controls placement and at least starting on the Turret.

I will always do wood screws and glue. Bracing only eats up internal Volume (me nit pickin'). Unsightly counter sunk screws, filler and glue can be covered with veneer over the whole side with minimal effort. The thing that crack me up is all the care and bracing and glue, then still use a veneer

I've changed plans though for the top part. That structure will be 1" back from the front, then stretch all the way to the back. That last flap at the back being trimmed down to the level of side panels. The top housing or turret will be bottomless and secured directly to the top of the Woofer cavity/Hull. I've had better luck with a single baffle (___)instead of compound (___]). My Turret will be smaller (same width but not as tall) than the originals.

I didn't want the Woofer cavity tuned port because I thought it kind of robbed the original in some cases. Add to this I don't have the specs of the woofer and so venting is the easier route.

It's snowing here and looks like it will be pretty bad so it looks like no Superbowl Party at my House. Gives me more time to finish The turret will hold, One 6.5" Cerwin Vega Mid Range (low mid), tiny 3" Pioneer tweeter and Planar for the Highs and One Pioneer Mid-For the tweet and mid controls on the side of the instead the front.

I also hope to get some Pics up later tonight.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    Sorry guys, I have the pics but was too busy to post them to Photo Bucket. I'm only lacking cutting the Top, attaching it then finishing starts. The front of the turret or front top part got a little too busy with too many speakers. I had to place the stronger tweeters on the adjustable section. One was loud enough but two are too loud otherwise. If I can get any Bass, these things are going to Rock.

Who knows, the Ole School Mach 1's or Fishers_> not to be confused current Crap< does great things and card even make plain . If the Project works well, the Fisher 9vx's or Optimus Mach 1's will end up in my computer room! The very efficient ones will then be moved to the rear channel in the Den.

This time I will not skip the bottom and rear of the speakers. I'll paint the bottom part Black and the back sand brown or similar. I already have everything except paint for the back.

I'm still not sure if I want a Pedestal or not.
    Last edited by Donnie27; 02-08-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme

The blue tape is covering the Power Indicator control board. One last sanding, then Killz and paint. The Inner section will be Black and the sides stained, maybe Walnut and the edges done with Birch Trim.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast