Thread: Can I install a Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 400 upside down??

Can I install a Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 400 upside down??

Hi there:

I am installing the Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 400 - POM (Model: BP-WTZM400P-BK). In the details of the product it refers to the bottom of the reservoirs having the 3 holes for choices of where to hook up the barbs or other fittings. And also refers to the top as having one additional hole to for fittings/fill ports etc...

I would like to use the bottom cap on top of the reservoir and the top cap as the bottom cap of the reservoir. I would like to run both inlet and outlet lines to the top and simply plug the bottom. Basically, I would be turning the reservoir upside down to use it. Can I do that???

There is a 3" metal tube connected to one of the holes. The metal tube is now on top of the reservoir and pointing down. I think I am supposed to use this as the outlet, but I'm not sure. I also tested putting a piece of 1/2" ID tubing over the metal tube and confirmed that it would fit and seal. I can run a small piece of tubing to the bottom area of the reservoir if you deem this necessary.

Are there any drawbacks to setting the reservoir up this way. Please enlighten me!!!

Thanks
    Asus Rampage III Extreme, Intel 980X, 12gb OCZ Reaper pc3 12800, Asus EAH5970 video card, OCZ 240gb SSD Revodrive, 2-2Tera Western Digital WD2003FYYS, Pioneer BDR205 Blu-ray

Xtreme Member
    well how would you fill it?
    PC hardware and PC video game reviews... look me up on facebook
    www.unyty.com/Video-Games
    http://www.youtube.com/user/1984ericfx

I am Xtreme
    Yes, you can...but, I see some headaches to do so as they are mainly meant to either lay horizontal or have the 3 holes on the bottom. I've used several of those types of res's over the years and have always use the tube as the inlet so that the bubbles don't get sucked back into the loop. For your purposes though, it would have to be the outlet (and obviously below the water level) and to fill and bleed the case, it would have to be either on it's side or upside down.

Is there a special reason that has you looking at mounting it that way?
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Hey guys:

I am using the Mountain Mods extended ascension case with the horizon back plate. This puts the mobo about 15" above the case floor. It's at a very nice height to run short lengths of hoses to the waterblocks and the radiators. Only the pumps are at the base of the case. I was thinking I can run a piece of hose to the bottom of the reservoir coming off the metal tube so the draw of the pump wouldn't be sucking up the air/water just entering the reservoir.

I think I'll have to fill the pump inlet tube to the brim and then connect it to the already filled reservoir to start the water loop.

I guess I could flip it over the right way, but, I need a bunch more hose and I didn't want to make the case look cluttered.

So what do you think??

Thanks
    Last edited by jwmghf; 10-12-2010 at 06:23 PM.
    Asus Rampage III Extreme, Intel 980X, 12gb OCZ Reaper pc3 12800, Asus EAH5970 video card, OCZ 240gb SSD Revodrive, 2-2Tera Western Digital WD2003FYYS, Pioneer BDR205 Blu-ray

Xtreme Enthusiast
    In that case a pictures worth a thousand words i can't picture it in my head.

Btw your not installing the pumps upside down are you?

*edit the more i think about it the.more.confused I get.on how you wanted it hooked up.
    Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Here's a couple of pics:

The red hose in the reservoir is connected to the metal tube. I don't know why the pics are so big. Sorry about that. You'll get a close up!!! And, no, the pumps are not installed upside down.

Should I just go for it and give it a shot?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reservoir 010.jpg 
Views:	2445 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	108447   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reservoir 011.jpg 
Views:	1943 
Size:	276.4 KB 
ID:	108448   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reservoir 012.jpg 
Views:	2096 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	108449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reservoir 013.jpg 
Views:	1398 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	108450  
    Last edited by jwmghf; 10-12-2010 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Needed to answer a question.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm not sure it looks like that setup requires the pump to suck the water in instead of useing gravity. I'd be iffy on it.

I must say it makes me glad i had the panels of my MMA custom cut. So i didn't have to make a top/bottom mb choice.

MagisD

I'm going to test this loop out with the upside down reservoir to see if it's going to do the job. I'll post back soon to let you know. Thanks for your input.

I am Xtreme
    Res should always feed the pump. The way you have it now, it's going to be a real headache filling and bleeding, and then you may have problems with the tube between the rad and pump collapsing.

OT, what model YL's do you have on those GTX? Anything short of the SH's, I think you might be disappointed with your temps.
    Last edited by Waterlogged; 10-12-2010 at 06:34 PM.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Hey Waterlogged:

I understand. That means I will have to re-think the loop. I'm not looking at it right now, but I will set it up that way. You'll here from me soon.

Edit:

So if that's the case, you have given me reason to flip the reservoir. I'll do that tomorrow and post back.

The Yate & Loons are the high speed 2000rpm fans. Please tell me they will do the job. Disappointment is NOT an option!!! I dumped enough $ into this project and I was planning on replacing them with better fans along the way. Please don't tell me how much noise 20 of them are going to make. I have a pretty good idea!!!

Thanks again for the advice.
    Last edited by jwmghf; 10-12-2010 at 07:14 PM.

Xtreme Member
    oh wow I see the pic... wow that wont work...
    PC hardware and PC video game reviews... look me up on facebook
    www.unyty.com/Video-Games
    http://www.youtube.com/user/1984ericfx

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by jwmghf View Post
    The Yate & Loons are the high speed 2000rpm fans. Please tell me they will do the job. Disappointment is NOT an option!!! I dumped enough $ into this project and I was planning on replacing them with better fans along the way. Please don't tell me how much noise 20 of them are going to make. I have a pretty good idea!!!

Thanks again for the advice.
    You got the right model. Any RPM's above 1700-1900 should provide reasonably good temps. Anything below that to about 1400RPM's will be about as good as you would be able to get with a low FPI rad, and don't even bother going below 1400.
    Circles SucQ!

I'm much better now!!! I'll change the order of the loop and let you know how I make out. I have to say,... You're very observant and thanks for that!! I'll work on the re-route tomorrow and post back promptly. The next couple of days are busy for me, but I'll be back for sure!!!

Hey guys:

It works like a champ upside down!!! Thanks for the heads up about the res. feeding the pump. I learned something new!!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Pictures, please.

They way you say that, it makes me think you're having the pump suck the water up out of the top of the reservoir, even though the pump is mounted below the reservoir. Makes no sense.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The pictures were in post six. ...

MagisD

Xtreme Cruncher
    You said you changed the routing so the reservoir fed the pump, but in your pictures, it doesn't. You missed one of the key set up rules for watercooling... the reservoir must output to the pump.

Also, you really need to re-size those pictures.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The posts if read in sequence have him asking, me asking for pics, and waterlogged giving him his solution. then him changing it.

I think you fourms reader is buggy.

MagisD

Hey guys:

I did change the hose setup to have the reservoir feed the pump. The reservoir upside down with a piece of 1/2" ID tubing running down off of the 3" metal tube that came with the reservoir. It's working fine and I could leave it the way it is, but, I may opt to flip it over and have the res. installed the way it was called for. The reasoning for this being stated by Waterlogged in his opening comments. I am working on a strategy to use as little hose as possible. If I can do it with them in there normal upright position, I will make the change.
    Last edited by jwmghf; 10-14-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm confused. Pictures?