Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey lifts YouTube ban after more than 2 years

Xtreme Mentor

Turkey lifts YouTube ban after more than 2 years

Turkey lifts YouTube ban after more than 2 years

Turkey said Saturday that it was lifting a ban on YouTube more than two years after it blocked access to the site because of videos deemed insulting to the country's founder.

Transport Minister Binali Yildirim, who is in charge of Internet issues, said the government has been in touch with Google, which owns YouTube. There was no longer any reason to ban the video-sharing site, he said, as the offending videos had been removed.

"In the end, common sense prevailed. The reasons for the YouTube ban do not exist anymore," Yildirim said.

"The ban has been removed," Yildirim said on NTV television. "But we didn't get here easily, we have been through a lot in the process. I hope that they have also learned from this experience and the same thing will not happen again. YouTube will hopefully carry out its organization in Turkey within the limits of law in the future."

Turkey's telecommunications authority banned access to YouTube in May 2008 after users complained that some videos insulted Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, who founded the country in 1923. It is a crime in Turkey to insult Ataturk. The country has implemented reforms as part of a bid to join the European Union, but still faces questions about its record on free expression.

The country began blocking access to websites in 2007, after parliament adopted a law against cyber crime in an effort to curb child :banana::banana::banana::banana:, prevent the dissemination of terrorist propaganda and stamp out illegal gambling.

More than 6,000 sites have been banned in Turkey according to Engelli Web, a site that monitors blocked pages.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_turkey_youtube
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    In before political talk.

Xtreme Mentor
    republicans vs democrats

Ryzen 9 3900X w/ NH-U14s on MSI X570 Unify
    32 GB Patriot Viper Steel 3733 CL14 (1.51v)
    RX 5700 XT w/ 2x 120mm fan mod (2 GHz)
    Tons of NVMe & SATA SSDs
    LG 27GL850 + Asus MG279Q
    Meshify C white

Yep. It's already a big mistake because on internet, always there are unwelcome things. Now, if you look facebook or another social networking site, you ll see that they must ban, too. Ban is not a solution.

ANNOYING ORANGE

Xtreme Addict
    oh god, the thought of youtube being banned is horrible.
    how could these people have gone on like that
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Addict

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
    who cares about turkey except for on thanksgiving?

and who cares about the country even ON thanksgiving?
    Why are you trolling and flamebaiting? We have several active members from Turkey here. It's a good news for free speech no matter where are you from. If you don't care, just don't post.

Xtreme Addict
    i hope they wont search youtube for lesbian kissing action video clip at least
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHughe View Post
    Why are you trolling and flamebaiting? We have several active members from Turkey here. It's a good news for free speech no matter where are you from. If you don't care, just don't post.

Most likely intended as a joke, but in very poor taste.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Member
    "They may ban our youtube, but they'll NEVER ban our.... wait... ! they just banned youtube!!!!
    PII 965BE @ 3.8Ghz /|\ TRUE 120 w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan /|\ XFX HD 5870 /|\ 4GB G.Skill 1600mhz DDR3 /|\ Gigabyte 790GPT-UD3H /|\ Two lovely 24" monitors (1920x1200) /|\ and a nice leather chair.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHughe View Post
    Amen, besides jokes like that only ever betray an idiotic ignorance. The youtube thing with Turkey was pretty depressing, and idiot stunts like this is whats eating at its secular heart. Atatürk used some pretty heavy handed tactics to keep his country from fragmenting back into the religious dark ages, but I would never believe that he would approve the blocking of such a widespread international medium just because some pranksters posted some insulting videos to get a rise out of turkey.
    Last edited by Dainas; 10-30-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    i seriously loled banning whole site cause of some video really shows difference between civilized countries and others
    Quote Originally Posted by LesGrossman View Post
    So for the last 3 months Nvidia talked about Uniengine and then Uniengine and more Uniengine and finally Uniengine. And then takes the best 5 seconds from all the benchmark run, makes a graph and then proudly shows it everywhere.

Xtreme Member
    You just dont realise how important Ataturk is for them.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
    who cares about turkey except for on thanksgiving?

and who cares about the country even ON thanksgiving?
    I like how this is not about Turkey but YouTube...

Therefore I will pretend as if your point is still valid
    Last edited by lkiller123; 10-30-2010 at 10:24 PM.
    Team XS: xs4s.org

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by eric66 View Post
    i seriously loled banning whole site cause of some video really shows difference between civilized countries and others
    Mmm... not really, no.

Xtreme Member
    I haven’t seen the video so I can’t comment
    Intel Core i7 920@4GHz, ASUS GENE II, 3 x 4GB DDR-3 1333MHz Kingston, 2x ASUS HD6950 1G CU II, Intel SSD 320 120GB, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, DELL 2311HM

AMD FX8150 vs Intel 2500K, 1080p DX-11 gaming evaluation.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aten-Ra View Post
    I haven’t seen the video so I can’t comment
    but you just did, are we allways this clever?

to be fair here, not one post has spoken about the video itself or its content,

stating in a song that someone who is dear to the turkish hearts is a raging homosexual and is the reaon that all turkish men are closet homosexuals, is a pretty heavy accusation if you ask me, and i can totaly understand why the site was banned.

not to imply that homosexuals are in any way wrong, or indeed any real part of this, just prurely in the way people are being accused of something they are not. seems a bit like bullying to me.

>>>>>>DosDuoNo treads carefully over eggshells not to upset anybody here>>>lol

Xtreme Member
    Are we always trying to be a smart ass ??

I can’t comment about the f..king ban when I haven’t seen the video

Question

If someone posted a video implying the same thing about George Washington or Abraham Lincoln or Franklin D. Roosevelt, would USA ban Youtube??
    Last edited by Aten-Ra; 10-31-2010 at 01:45 AM.
    Intel Core i7 920@4GHz, ASUS GENE II, 3 x 4GB DDR-3 1333MHz Kingston, 2x ASUS HD6950 1G CU II, Intel SSD 320 120GB, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, DELL 2311HM

AMD FX8150 vs Intel 2500K, 1080p DX-11 gaming evaluation.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Aten-Ra View Post
    Are we always trying to be a smart ass ??

I can’t comment about the f..king ban when I haven’t seen the video

Question

If someone posted a video implying the same thing about George Washington or Abraham Lincoln or Franklin D. Roosevelt, would USA ban Youtube??
    no because none of them is as important to the americans as ataturk is to the turkish people...

and i think that this has nothing to do with youtube itself; it's more about foreign politics and the possible source of this video
    Last edited by generics_user; 10-31-2010 at 02:35 AM.
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wm@n View Post
    i hope they wont search youtube for lesbian kissing action video clip at least
    hopefully they wont search for this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3U2mipXJ1Q

Xtreme Member
    If any party in Turkey lifted the part in the constitution which makes it illegal to insult Ataturk, they would be immediately gang raped by the army. Such laws make the country look like North Korea, but given the military's involvement, the country is actually like North Korea.

Xtreme Member
    Go learn more about them befora saying such things you compare country which is fast growing and part of G20 and country where during World Cup they aired just 1 of the games of their national soccer team.

I am Xtreme
    And they really think they are good enough to join EU after such things?
    Good move, but come on, 2 years?..
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Day 0, hour 0, minute 0:

Turkey lifts Youtube ban.

Day 0, Hour zero, minute 1:

Turkey reports 98% drop in employee productivity
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by DosDuoNo View Post
    stating in a song that someone who is dear to the turkish hearts is a raging homosexual and is the reaon that all turkish men are closet homosexuals, is a pretty heavy accusation if you ask me, and i can totaly understand why the site was banned.
    So that's sufficient to ban a site? Accusations about a historical figure long dead? Where does that line then get drawn? Anything deemed critical in any way (including satire) of anything the government considers "untouchable" gets the information blocked from the public?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    So that's sufficient to ban a site? Accusations about a historical figure long dead? Where does that line then get drawn? Anything deemed critical in any way (including satire) of anything the government considers "untouchable" gets the information blocked from the public?
    I think it's pretty freakin ridiculous if you ask me.
    2600k @ 5.0Ghz 1.54V, Giga Z68, Zotac GTX680 AMP!, Patriot 1066Mhz 8GB RAM, Custom water, Silverstone 1000W, HAF932

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast