Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan Testing Round 5 (Working Thread)Are "NANO" Bearings the new sliced bread?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have both honestly if the gt's are 100 the geilds are 95 with yls being 75's.

Reason i move of em can't run them in horizontal. Blades fall off :-) or grind.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Hey Martin i got idea for next test.
    Fan in series ;] Im curious which is better push+pull or series

Xtreme X.I.P.
    FYI, I fried my kaze master yesterday...accidentally tried to plug the molex in backwards and fed 13v into the 5v channel. The rheo still works but I lost my ability to read rpm..nothing like the smell of burnt electronics to make your day. Oh well..Ill just do voltage for now..

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I had a couple of people ask for the series sandwich thing...Ill add that in.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Question is series direct or spaced?

MagisD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, you need a washer of something so the the screws don't transfer the vibration.

Like this

I use these, and find them good.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodholm View Post
    Yeah, you need a washer of something so the the screws don't transfer the vibration.

Like this
    [IMG]snip[/IMG]

I use these, and find them good.
    Actually, even that setup poses a risk of transmitting vibrations (screw could touch the side of the case hole if things don't line up exactly).

These are what are needed for isolation.

Last edited by Waterlogged; 10-08-2010 at 10:43 AM.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Just thought I'd pipe up since I own about 30 of these new generation of nano-bearing type fans.

I have had about 20 of the Enermax Marathon fans in my server since 2008. They have been on 24x7 since then. Only complain is low flow, but with about 20 fans in my case it's no big deal(I have a mountain mods case). The noise seems only slightly improved over regular fans. I bought them because I expected a longer lifespan since dirt could be easily removed from the bearing with some water or air. Last week one of the fans started making that noise I'm sure everyone has dealt with. The sound of the bearing getting dirt and debris in it, and the fan speed starts fluctuating. I pulled out the Enermax fan and washed it with soap and water and put it back in. Problem solved. This makes the first fan I have ever owned that will likely outlive all other fans. If you want to see what I bought, I have the 80 and 120mm versions of http://www.amazon.com/Enermax-Marath.../dp/B001U3TPLQ

I also own about 15 of the gelid fans as listed in this review. They have also been on 24x7 since last summer with no problems at all. I would expect to be able to restore them with soap and water just the same as the Enermax. In my opinion, the main reason to buy these fans would be their very very long life span. I might not have to deal with replacing the fans ever again, just wash them. If I build a new machine I could pull them all out of my current machine, wash them all and put them in a new machine. They'd be good as new.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Actually, even that setup poses a risk of transmitting vibrations (screw could touch the side of the case hole if things don't line up exactly).

These are what are needed for isolation.

Do you put those in the chassis holes? Does not that cause the fan to suck air from the sides if you don't get a seal on the side? Or am I thinking all wrong now? Is there a picture with them mounted?

The screws that come supplied with the gaskets are not as thick as the "self drilling" ones you usually gets. So i think there is less risk of the screws touching the hole "edges" or how what you should call it. But having something like that is probably best

Xtreme Cruncher
    You are correct Brodholm. However the loss of air flow because air is "recirculating" inside your case is negligible compared to the total air flow of the fan. You shouldn't be that concerned about the 3-5% of flow that you will lose. There's bigger fish in the sea to fry than the little bit of flow you will lose.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Ok, I think I see the problem with the rubber type gasket, it really wasn't sealing the sides of this RS120 radiator. I could grab the gasket and wiggle it around on the side. This probably isn't going to happen with radiators that are wider than 120mm, many are a fair amount wider. All the gasket was doing was being a spacer with loose edges that were obstructing a bit of flow.

I picked up some rubber grommets and making my own foam type gasket that'll be permanently fixed to the rad for good sealing and more consistent between tests too. I'll try it again, but planning to test it like this to help minimize any radiator type noises.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Arghhh...my foam gasket plus grommets really sucks...lol!

I think I better go back to the hard mount, no gasket routine...much more consistent and so far...better results. It may be different when testing on an actual case since vibrations perpetuate throughout, but here it's just a big tube.

I'm also fighting some amplified wind noise coming from the chamber now. It seems the large tube is great for amplifying wind noise, I think I'll go searching for some carpet pad or other similiar insulation for the interior. It seems fitting of any new test rig...got a few bugs to work out yet..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Xtreme Enthusiast
    the chamber probably has one or two resonance frequencies that may be an issue, as each segment of the chamber (before and after the flow straightening tubes, plus each of the straightening tubes) is a different resonating air cavity.

and then there's the mechanical resonance of the tube itself (assuming it's not wrapped with something like dynamat or equivalent).

in a way, it's kinda like a transmission line speaker box. the noise can't naturally dissipate in all directions, so it reflects, making it more efficient (louder).
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Huh who wants to donate a rubber jacket to martin preferabley one with those long crossover straps.....lol

MagisD

Xtreme X.I.P.
    LOL!

Ok, I found some egg crate, lined the whole interior, and removed the gaskets (leaving the grommets) and everything is MUCH better. No more wind noise for the internals and it's much quieter all around (focusing on fan noise only). I also found a foam windscreen for my Zoom H1. This is what I have now and what I'm sort of thinking for a new recording:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    that is an EXCELLENT way to reduce the reflections and change the inherent resonance frequency of the chamber (plus will also absorb airbound noise itself and separate resonant air from the chamber walls).
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Thanks, I figured it looks a lot like a mini sound room inside...

Figured I'd do some un-boxing...first the Coolermaster. Came in a bubble-wrap package with the fan with clear wiring, a molex adapter and some thick case fan type screws. Sort of a slim package, but not bad for the price. And some pictures below, it's a nice looking fan, I really like the curved blades and overall color scheme is good.

Overall good on the packaging and looks..

Xtreme X.I.P.
    And the Gelid is next. Packaging includes your typical box type fan controller with wiring and rubber case mount nipples. The packaging was fairly typical with the exception of the fan controller.

Overall the fan looks good, I like the blue 9 blade fins and particularly interested in the "Shark" style fin on the tips. It also has a nicely sleeved black wire.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    And finally the noise blocker. This one was different from the others and incorporated a really unique and nice case fan compatible gasket/grommet system that completely isolates the screw from the fan. Unfortunately the gasket is for the supplied M3 screws and won't work on the RS120 which uses M4 screws. It's too bad, the system is one of the best I've seen that perfectly matches the fan. This is ideal for case fan installs.

Also the fan comes with two modular sleeved fan cable lengths that's sleeved very nice in black.

The fan support frame (Three bars that hold the motor to the external frame) is also nicely rounded.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the accessories here especially the gasket/grommet system, if only they made it for M4, we could use the gasket on radiator installs too.

Should get some good testing in this weekend if all goes well.

Xtreme Member
    Awesome photos! Good idea with the unboxing sessions, thank you

Xtreme Guru
    Design of cooler master's blades looks like capable of higher statical pressure.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Don't count those geilds out.

MagisD

Xtreme Addict
    Nice variable PS Martin, I have the same one. :-)
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Cruncher
    Martin,

have you retested a baseline to insure that the reduced cross-sectional area with the foam inside the tube is negligible? Another option for reducing resonance from airflow within the cavity would be an optimized nozzle (funnel like thing inside). Also a plenum could be used. The nozzle+plenum would remove the source of the resonance as opposed to trying to dampen it afterwards. For mechanical resonance you can just add mass, e.g. strap it to a heavy frame. (pm me if interested and I'll think about a nozzle design - it would be very simple.)

I'm really interested in the gelid. Those shark fins are winglets. They're use on aircraft wings. If designed properly they can really increase the efficiency of a wing. If not designed properly that can hurt it pretty bad. For the fan, they could be optimized for a specific RPM or range of RPM. Or someone could've just thrown 'em on and said 'ah, this works'.

This is great man...
    upgrading...

Xtreme Member
    Wow, Martin you are the man! I dont know how you have the time to do all this, but it's awesome to see it happen.

Do you have a YT channel? I'd just as well subscribe
    Mah Rig:

i7 970 @ 4.4Ghz
    6GB Gelid Perfect Storm
    Gigabyte UD5 Rev 2
    128GB Corsair Nova SSD
    Evga 470
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Corsair 1KW HX
    Custom Liquid Cooling:
    PA 120.4
    EK Supreme HF