Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: *RESOLVED* Beware of Danger Den's warranty

Thumbs down *RESOLVED* Beware of Danger Den's warranty

Just went through a headache with them and wasted money

Background info:

Bought a D5 pump from someone. Was originally part of a Danger Den kit purchased about 6 months prior. Pump was never used. When I got the pump, it was DOA. He had no way of knowing this as he never even opened the pump box. He contacts Danger Den, and is told that sure, they will RMA the pump by itself, just to have me send it in with such and such an RMA number. Well cool, easy enough, right?

WRONG.

I get this email from another rep at Danger Den telling me that they couldn't find the RMA number in their system, and also the build date on the pump was 3 years ago or something like that so it isn't covered anyway. What? I replied with the info, and forwarded email from the first rep. She responds and insists that because the pump was made 3 years ago, it isn't under a warranty.

I reply back with telling her it was part of a kit purchased just 6 months ago, and even sent some documentation from the guy I got it from proving this. Every warranty I know of primarily goes by the purchase date, then in some cases the manufacture date if the purchase date is not known.

She then responded with telling me that well, it was a clearance item, and those are usually open box, and the kit was sold for under the normal price of the pump anyway, so it isn't covered, then repeats the whole build date bullcrap. Also says they don't make that kit anymore either. Her emails are starting to get a little bit of a tone to them by now, and I'm rather miffed.

So I respond yet again, no it was NOT open box, it was brand new sealed up. And what does purchase price have to do with anything, who cares if Fry's ran a sale? Why does it matter if the kit is still being made now or not? And why were we told it was covered, wasting my time and money to send it in, if it really wasn't? Why didn't they tell us this in the first place?

Get another email back basically telling me it doesn't matter and they're sending me the dead pump back "tomorrow." Which then took them 2 weeks to do

So apparently, a Danger Den "1 year" warranty only applies if the parts were manufactured within that one year and the place you bought it from wasn't selling it on sale. Otherwise, you could be screwed.

I'm not buying anything more from Danger Den
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    I thought warranty only covers the original purchaser.

As it does here in the UK. If its sold on then the warranty is void.
    Mayhems Lastest News -> https://www.facebook.com/Mayhems2009

If you need to direct contact me its michael at mayhems dot co dot uk.

I am Xtreme
    i've bought lots of stuff from them..rads pumps acryllic case....good thing i don't have to mess with them yet.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlwood37 View Post
    I thought warranty only covers the original purchaser.

As it does here in the UK. If its sold on then the warranty is void.
    True, although if he's using the original purchaser's invoice then how are they to know otherwise?

The real issue at hand isn't whether the warranty is transferable or not, as it seems the original purchaser would have run into the same problem.

That's definitely a pretty poor warranty policy, Sparky. Thanks for the heads-up.

Xtreme Addict
    Dang.....That freakin blows! Wonder what was wrong with the pump. Maybe you can get it going yourself or something.

Buyer always has to beware. Once certain people/businesses get your money that is where the line is drawn in the sand. It really sucks and I have had my share of crooked thievery from businesses. Did not expect this from Danger Den however.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I learned about DD warranty back in 03 or 04, havent bought anything from them since, will not recommend them and will damn sure never make any future buys even if where the best product on the market.

At least you got them to talk to you they ignored me...

Xtreme Addict
    yeh but legally standing there are massive differences over here in the UK as .

1) the product sold must be fit for purpose and there for if the item sold is doesn't work if it be DOA or not then hes covered under law.

2) How ever its second hand even if it is not open and again that means he's FUBAR and nothing you can do about it.

3) Considering the sate of the economy in the past they may have replaced it but taking into the factor these are hard times for every one they need to cut a loss some ware and warranty means them being more stringent.

How ever if he was the original person who bought it then i would look at this situation in a different light and basic take them to a small claims court and get my money back as the item sold was not fit for purpose.

All so you now buggered even further because now that we all know the items is second hand because you posted it on here you have no legal ground to stand on. Tbh i would have kept it quiet untill you got it sorted.

Morally yes its wrong but legally well ..... youve been put over a barrel and shot up the ass and there isnt much you can do about it now.

I am Xtreme
    Warranty most definitely should be from the date of original purchase. That is pretty damn lame.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mlwood37 View Post
    Morally yes its wrong but legally well ..... youve been put over a barrel and shot up the ass and there isnt much you can do about it now.
    Well he posted his dealings here. That is a pretty good start. To get a whole 'it was produced 3 years ago' BS speech is rather insulting. Things are warrantied from the date it was purchased. Was thinking about buying a large case from them....but I don't like giving my money to businesses who do this to people. I'll let my money do the voting and talking.

Xtreme Legend
    outch

unusual statement from them that it is only covered from the build date
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Addict
    if you have the origional receipt dated 6 months back and the product has a 1 year or more warranty then they are required under law to replace the bad part, regardless of the kit being a discounted item.

What is the date on the receipt? can you scan it and post a pic for proof?
    Last edited by CrazyNutz; 10-18-2010 at 04:59 PM.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    outch

unusual statement from them that it is only covered from the build date
    They cannot do that. Any warranty starts at the date of purchase!
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    Well he posted his dealings here. That is a pretty good start. To get a whole 'it was produced 3 years ago' BS speech is rather insulting. Things are warrantied from the date it was purchased. Was thinking about buying a large case from them....but I don't like giving my money to businesses who do this to people. I'll let my money do the voting and talking.
    I agree totally.. thats just BS
    No $$ from from me will ever go to a company with such practices.
    If i have a bill and my time is not up in terms of warranty then i expect to get a replacement period.
    A company this big doing this is not a good sign at all.
    Just my 2 cents !

Intel Core i7 3960x | 3x Intel Core i7 980x | 3x Intel Core i7 920 | 2x Intel Core i7 2600k | 2x AMD opteron 6282 SE | 3x Asus Rampage II Extreme | 2x Asus Rampage III Extreme | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 1x Gigabyte X58A-UD7 | 2x Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | Asus KGPE-D16 | 3x 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator 1600 Cl7 | 1x Patriot Viper II 6GB 2000 Cl8 | 3x Corsair Hx1000 | 4x Corsair Ax 1200 | 3x Antec 1200 | 4x Corsair Obsidian 800D | 2x Intel 80Gb G2 SSD | 4x Kingston HyperX 120GB | 2x Vertex 2 120GB | 2xWD 150GB Velociraptor + 1x WD 300GB Velociraptor +5TB | Msi Nvidia Gtx 295 | Msi Ati 4870x2 OC Edition | 2x Msi Ati 4890 OC Editions| 2x Sapphire Ati 5870's| Sapphire 5970 OC Edition | 2x Msi Gtx 460 | 3x Sapphire 6970 | 3x Asus Gtx 580 | 3x Asus 7970

Hamster Powered
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    Warranty most definitely should be from the date of original purchase. That is pretty damn lame.
    +1
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Not that I agree with the warranty issue, but I think the guy who sold you the pump should be handling the warranty, not yourself. He should be giving you your money back and dealing with this. Seems you'r being way too nice and doing his work for him.

At least that's the way I have done it when reselling something. I once bought a DVD set brand new in the package(actually my wife did), never used it then resold it unopened. My buyer opened it brand new and said a disc wouldn't play, so I gave her a full refund and paid her to ship it back. That's customer service.

In this scenario, it's no different than buying a new unopened item from an ebay seller and blaming the original seller your seller bought it from. Your transaction was with your seller, you should deal with him. Then he should deal with DD if he is not happy.

DD have always been really nice folks in my experience. While I never had to do any returns, they have always been really nice to work with. They helped sponsor several of my tests, gave me radiators like my HWlabs 480GTX for nothing more than a nice "Good work testing, appreciate what you do". Not many vendors were anywhere near as nice, actually many of them have "Borrowed" my testing results as a selling point and never even asked Not DD, they have been more than nice at least from a testing standpoint.

I would suggest asking your seller to do the right thing and eat the sale. That's the way reselling "Should" work.. Hopefully, he'll do what's right.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 10-18-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If the original purchaser bought it with a credit card, they might do a charge back to get his refund. I'm not sure it if is too late (6 months), but all you'd need to do is explain that you contacted them and they won't honor their warranty. You could also try Better Business Bureau, and complain on resellerratings.com
    Desktop
    [Asus Rampage III Gene] [i7 920 D0] [12GB OCZ3B2000C9LV6GK] [HIS HD 5970] [SeaSonic X750 Gold ] [Windows 7 (64bit)] [OCZ Vertex 30GB x3 Raid0] [Koolance CPU 360] [XSPC Razer 5970] [TFC 360 rad, D5 w/ Koolance RP-450X2]
    HTPC
    [Origen AE S10V] [MSI H57M-ED65] [ i5-661 w/ Scythe Big Shuriken] [Kingston HyperX LoVo 4GB ] [ SeaSonic X650 Gold ] [ OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD ] [ SAMSUNG Spinpoint 640GB 7200 RPM 2.5"][Panasonic UJ-225 Blu-ray Slot Burner] [ Ceton InfiniTV4]

The original owner did contact Danger Den first. Told them that I was the second owner of the pump but it hadn't been used yet. Danger Den knew it, and the rep that he emailed with told him to tell me to send it in, "no problem" he said. Sure....

So no, I wasn't trying to get around the original owner warranty thing. We were very upfront with them about it. I had and have no intentions of trying to get around anything as far as warranty is concerned under normal circumstances. To be fair, I figured Danger Den wouldn't warranty it since I was the second owner, but after being told it was OK then to get told off after being said it was OK is what really irks me. Plus the whole "made 3 years ago, purchase date doesn't matter" crap.

And also, he and I worked it out in the end, that's no issue either. I have no problems with our business dealings with each other, just with how Danger Den handled it. They would have told the first guy the same thing - actually I believe they did, because he emailed them back too after I started getting issues from them and he got nowhere either.
    Last edited by Sparky; 10-18-2010 at 05:49 PM.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i agree that this shouldn't have happened, but

it's a pump out of a kit for one thing, they prolly have some sort of problem with that i'm thinking, and to the UK law stuff, we don't have a law saying that if it goes to a second party the warranty is void, in fact some companies have lifetime warranties no matter how many ppl use them. or not lifetime but still doesn't matter who purchased it. although each warranty is written by the people giving out the warranty.. i think a law like you all have is a good idea personally, maybe it will get rid of a bunch of late night infomercials!

also he should be doing the warranty return for you, as he can legally as the purchaser take it to town. i wouldn't say give up on this i would just say round 2.

Xtreme Addict
    Our system can kick ass at times ->

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...page38311.html

Some times upto 6 years !!!!

• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).
    • If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)
    this falls into this and basicly whoot rip into them esp if they say its oky and keep that email with them saying it hehe.
    Last edited by mlwood37; 10-18-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    this was done all wrong. i sold the pump to sparky and hoped the deal would have made us both some happy campers.

i bought the pump about 6 month ago and was initially not able to provide the "original" receipt but provided proof of purchase from my bank statement.
    a helpful person at fry's later explained to me that do well in record keeping and that i could go back to the original store and get a copy of the original receipt but that did not change DD's mind either and it rather appeared as this really shot the door for any communication.

i had explained to them before hand that i very well could have had the pump shipped back to me and then to DD aaand then the other way back. no different in the outcome to avoid the replacement, the only one happier .. USPS.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Not that I agree with the warranty issue, but I think the guy who sold you the pump should be handling the warranty, not yourself. He should be giving you your money back and dealing with this. Seems you'r being way too nice and doing his work for him.

At least that's the way I have done it when reselling something. I once bought a DVD set brand new in the package(actually my wife did), never used it then resold it unopened. My buyer opened it brand new and said a disc wouldn't play, so I gave her a full refund and paid her to ship it back. That's customer service.

In this scenario, it's no different than buying a new unopened item from an ebay seller and blaming the original seller your seller bought it from. Your transaction was with your seller, you should deal with him. Then he should deal with DD if he is not happy.

DD have always been really nice folks in my experience. While I never had to do any returns, they have always been really nice to work with. They helped sponsor several of my tests, gave me radiators like my HWlabs 480GTX for nothing more than a nice "Good work testing, appreciate what you do". Not many vendors were anywhere near as nice, actually many of them have "Borrowed" my testing results as a selling point and never even asked Not DD, they have been more than nice at least from a testing standpoint.

I would suggest asking your seller to do the right thing and eat the sale. That's the way reselling "Should" work.. Hopefully, he'll do what's right.
    exactly the way i would have done and it was done in this case.
    sparky contacted me and i got in touch with DD. after i got the green light from DD i passed the info on to sparky and then the story and the rep changed from DD. i forwarded the original emails from DD to sparky with all the info for the RMA.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Ahh..I got you guys now. Sorry, I wasn't quite getting all the details. All I could think of was my ebay experience were as the immediate seller I felt the need to assume full responsibility even though in the back of my mind I was peeved about the person who sold us the DVDs (I just figured...that's not MY buyers problem, I'll take care of this). This example is a little different since you guys were up front and had some prior communication.

Anyhow, you guys might try Laing. They are after all the ones who made the faulty pump. I suspect many of the pumps get to them that are RMAs anyhow.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Never been impressed with DD support, I bought a replacement panel some time ago. The gave me a price on the phone than charged my cc more lol. It wasn't enough to bother with though.
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i think i might send it in to Laing. at least to see where their standpoint is on the matter and/or to see how they would handle it.
    i am just very disappointed in DD and how they handled this. it was unprofessional to say the least.

I am Xtreme
    Have you tried dealing with Fry's? They originally sold the pump and are likely the store you have the most clout over.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast