Thread: Bad or good ideea

Xtreme Enthusiast

Bad or good ideea

Will the tec manage it?
    Thx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Bitmap Image.JPG 
Views:	369 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	108062  

Xtreme Addict
    Are you planning to have a GIANT rad? becuase your gonna need it!
    Actually I think others have done this before and it did not work out.

Your rad, and fans will have to deal with the CPU heat + the TEC heat. If
    it does not then you will be heating your loop

I think this will not workout the way you expect
    Last edited by CrazyNutz; 09-30-2010 at 02:00 PM.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Member
    it depends on what TEC or how many TECs you are using, how much power you run them at and what your temp goals are. But, I would say that you should put the hot side of the TEC in a separate loop.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's just an ideea inspired from subcooling of freon in ss cooling.
    The rad will be a big a$$ AC condenser...
    thx

Xtreme Member
    Okay, I don't really know what you are trying to do. However I'm going to say this is a bad idea. First TEC chilling just like phase water chilling works in multiple passes. Per pass the temperature variances are usually a lot less than one would think. So what you are doing is cooling slightly below ambient then heating it up slightly, then when it passes through the radiator if it is still below ambient you will be warming up the water and not cooling it down. Therefore at most the best temperature you will achieve is pretty much ambient.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ehh this all depends on the factors and what your trying to do, this could give your cooling just a little boost. but three things here
    #1 your pump would have to be a really slow one.
    #2 your rad would have to be huge like they mentioned, because it would have to cool the it almost back down to environmental temps in-order to prevent thermal breakdown
    #3 the max you could achieve on your cpu on load is maybe 10-20 C above environment. on idle I doubt you would dip more than 2C-5C below room temp.
    #4 the blocks you design would have to snake the water through the cold and hot block quite a bit of distance.
    On the other hand if you put A huge heatsink on the hot side and ducted the airflow to go first through the sink and then through the rad you might be a little better off. This is what I'm gonna do with my freezone. Catch is you need at least 50 to 150 cfm on load. i.e. like 3 120mm fans on a temp controlled circuit.
    with that much cfm you won't boost the air temp that much from the sink, and that means that the rad will still cool (if it's large enough) to about 2 to 3c above environment. then the pelt block if the water travels in there long enough can cool maybe 5-10C below environment i.e. and only if it's literally crawling or doing enough passes. depending on your waterblock this could then cool the cpu to maybe with-in 5 to 10C above environment if your lucky.
    it's a lot of work for little benefit, I bought the freezone for 51 bucks on eBay and the rad for like 25 plus adapters make it less than 100 bucks for sweet cooling cause I already had the fans. If you have to mill your own waterblocks guess what the benefit doesn't justify the expense. now if you added another pump you could get quite much better temps, but remember you'd have to insulate your Mb and waterblock as well and the cold sides hoses to prevent condensation, because with that additional pump you could reach very much cooler temps. because pelts work on delta T bases you could get quite more benefit out of your pelts.
    one of these days I might just do that with my freezone, cause if the mod's done right you could reach freezing temps however for that to happen you need more than 56W, but then again rewiring the freezone's pelts and add a custom controller and I'm in business
    My $.02
    terramir

terra= (lat.)world mir=(russ.) peace
    BTW that girl is my version of muddflap on my stacy common artwork not obcene (for the censors out there)

I am working on something like this, so far I am have decent results but in order to make it worth while the electronic control needs to be fairly complicated in order to keep the TEC's delta T in the most efficient areas of operation. I have been trying to wait until I had something that could compare in load and efficiency to a SS before I posted too much. Mainly, so I didn't look too stupid if it turned out to be a complete waste of time.

I think the loop and variations of it have possiblities but it turned out to be no where near as simple as I first thought.

You need to use separate loops for the hot and cold side - using a single loop would cancels out any benefit the TEC could provide.

If this is going to be used to cool a modern CPU, you'd need more then a single TEC - you'd need around 4x 200w TECs just to be able to chill the water enough so your CPU temps dropped down under ambient. And 4x 200w TECs produce A LOT of heat on their hotside, so you'd definitely want to keep the hotside loop apart from the coldside loop.

When done correctly, with a 4x TEC chiller 5ghz on a modern i7 CPU is just a few tweaks away:

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unnefer View Post
    You need to use separate loops for the hot and cold side - using a single loop would cancels out any benefit the TEC could provide.

If this is going to be used to cool a modern CPU, you'd need more then a single TEC - you'd need around 4x 200w TECs just to be able to chill the water enough so your CPU temps dropped down under ambient. And 4x 200w TECs produce A LOT of heat on their hotside, so you'd definitely want to keep the hotside loop apart from the coldside loop.

When done correctly, with a 4x TEC chiller 5ghz on a modern i7 CPU is just a few tweaks away:
    You're a naughty Panda...Unnerfer.
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Xtreme Cruncher
    the problem is that for the TEC to have any benefit to this system it would have to remove more heat than it inputs.
    since that isnt possible, no matter the size of the rad the system will run cooler without the TEC.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I actually tried something like what he's saying he wants to do, well I still cooled the hot-side with the heat-sink and 3 fans, but I added a rad turns out that it doesn't make a difference and can even hurt performance until the tec system is starting to break down. i.e. the resistance of flow from the rad and the tec's cooling the water below ambient it's just another heat source. when the cpu starts dumping in so much heat that your tec's can't keep it below environment that's when adding a rad to the loop makes sense. , But what he wants to do would only make sense if his pump is of the most minute flow ever then the water would be chilled by the cold side of the tec go into the cpu get seriously heated there, the go to the hot-side of the tec get heated some more and then while it spends all that time in the rad it could cool down to almost environment. however you would need one hell of a slow pump and one huge radiator, I discovered it's unrealistic. add a second pump dude, water cool the tec. and if your making the blocks yourself make one that has place for 3 tec's this way you can put 3 in series and save some electricity in the end, the lower the voltage is on each single pelt the more efficient that pelt can operate. more Efficiency= less heat the Rad has to dump.
    good luck but after some experiments I gotta say bad idea.
    terramir

terra= (lat.)world mir=(russ.) peace
    BTW that girl is my version of muddflap on my stacy common artwork not obcene (for the censors out there)