Thread: Silver Arrow

Xtreme Addict

Silver Arrow

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=28951
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11...2_AM2_AM3.html

Maybe this has been out for a while, I haven't seen it though and I can't find it on the forums. Has anyone tested this? I was thinking this would look sweet on a MicroATX mobo so the heatsink would like dwarf everything else.
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, its been out for some time now (about half a year). The original version is sold under the name of Cogage which Thermalright created for testing concepts and selling stuff at a lower price point but not hurt their growing name in higher performance coolers. Its the exact same cooler, but the Cogage only comes with a single 120mm fan and does not have the bright and shiny chrome plating or the chunky end caps on the heatpipes. The Silver Arrow comes with two 140mm fans. It also does not come with an AMD mount so you will have to buy one on the side. The fan clips are Thermalrigts older and smaller clips that only hold lighter fans. Their new ones that ship with the Silver Arrow have much longer mounts and can hold their newer and heavier 140mm fans. But you can shave off $20 to $30 off the price tag with the Cogage. Its one of the best coolers on the market, and its very lightweight for its size. But its HUGE in width and height so you need lots of room on the mobo and in the case for it.

***EDIT***

Lots of spelling and grammer errors, and even managed to cut a line or two out when copy pasting. Forgive the edit.
    Last edited by Captain_Harlock; 10-01-2010 at 07:29 AM.
    At Xtremesystems.org we don't help you save money on your cooling gear, instead we try to make you feel better about the insane ammount you've spent.

Xtreme Addict
    Ah, okay. I recognized the cooler itself, I just didn't recognize the 160mm and 140mm fans...they looked different to me.
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

I'm using one. Replaced my NH-D14 with it. A couple of degrees cooler and looks much better as well.

Allow me to provide an excerpt of one of my posts on 140mm fan selection:
    "Thermalright TY-140:

Thermalright released a new fan for their Silver Arrow cooler, the TY-140:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coo...w_5.html#sect1 - Xbitlabs compares it against the NH-D14 = better fans than Noctua.

http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling...40-review.html - This guy did a review of the fan. He commented that he wished it had higher static pressure. You may need to go push-pull for this one.

http://www.svc.com/tr-ty-140.html - SVC has the lowest price I've seen. It's $15 elsewhere.

It features a 120mm hole-pattern despite the larger size (It's also 26.5mm thick, odd). I use a double-sided foam tape to mount all my fans, so it doesn't affect me much."

The 1st link is actually a review of the Silver Arrow vs NH-D14. They seem about equal in that test.

The 2nd link is a review of the new fan.

Edit: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coo..._12.html#sect0 - Xbit's newest 140mm fan roundup. The TY-140 tops the charts, and while the X-silent did well, we know it doesn't have that static pressure to perform well through a heatsink from ehume's megahalem's roundup: http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling...ans-112-a.html Their measurement techniques are iffy...
    Last edited by Vampiyer; 09-30-2010 at 11:09 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    ^ Awesome post, thanks a lot!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottALot View Post
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=28951
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11...2_AM2_AM3.html

Maybe this has been out for a while, I haven't seen it though and I can't find it on the forums. Has anyone tested this? I was thinking this would look sweet on a MicroATX mobo so the heatsink would like dwarf everything else.

-----------------------------------

MSI 890GXM-G65
    LAN Gear MOM
    Phenom II 1055T 3.8 Ghz 1.4V Batch 1015DPAW
    Corsair H50 w/120x38
    Asus 5850CU 1000/1125
    4x2048 OCZ DDR3 1600 Obsidian
    Western Digital WD1002FAEX
    GSkill Titan 128 gig SSD
    Silverstone SST 75F-P
    3DMark06 21837
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=13974577

Xtreme Member
    MassiveOverkill, I'm sure your setup is working fine, but I just gotta say this. Given the Silverstone SG01B's lower vents, have you considered using some tin snips to remove the exhaust mesh and mounting your 120mm fan onto your Silver Arrow? Its so close to the exhaust port that it would make a great intake of cool fresh air and the bottom vents would be more than able to act as exhaust ports witht he top fans blowing down. Of course you would also have to reverse the middle fan in the Silver Arrow, but I'm willing to bet that it would make a pretty big improvement in your total system cooling. Just a thought.
    At Xtremesystems.org we don't help you save money on your cooling gear, instead we try to make you feel better about the insane ammount you've spent.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Harlock View Post
    MassiveOverkill, I'm sure your setup is working fine, but I just gotta say this. Given the Silverstone SG01B's lower vents, have you considered using some tin snips to remove the exhaust mesh and mounting your 120mm fan onto your Silver Arrow? Its so close to the exhaust port that it would make a great intake of cool fresh air and the bottom vents would be more than able to act as exhaust ports witht he top fans blowing down. Of course you would also have to reverse the middle fan in the Silver Arrow, but I'm willing to bet that it would make a pretty big improvement in your total system cooling. Just a thought.
    Captain, the case is Lan Gear Da Box, which has pretty decent vents on the side. I've actually replaced the 38mm with 2x25mm fans for now. I may steal the 38mm fan out of my GF computer though. The thing runs really silent.
    MSI 890GXM-G65
    LAN Gear MOM
    Phenom II 1055T 3.8 Ghz 1.4V Batch 1015DPAW
    Corsair H50 w/120x38
    Asus 5850CU 1000/1125
    4x2048 OCZ DDR3 1600 Obsidian
    Western Digital WD1002FAEX
    GSkill Titan 128 gig SSD
    Silverstone SST 75F-P
    3DMark06 21837
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=13974577

Xtreme Addict
    Massive, that's just what I was talking about, sweet look you got there! I was actuallly thinking a little more like the NZXT Vulcan, though... that'd be pretty epic.

Xtreme Member
    this will be good alternative to the NHD14 since (they say) it has more headroom for mems with Ramsinks & is a few degrees lower, i guess this would be the next best thing to H2o
    Last edited by duron; 10-17-2010 at 07:08 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    i have ordered silver arrow.. also 2x ultra kaze 3k rpm. will be interesting to test on phenom 2

a bit annoying that new cooler arrived from thermalright which is claimed to beat silver arrow.. so typical

thermalright is a bit to fast to release new coolers
    Vishera 8320@ 5ghz | Gigabyte UD3 | 8gb TridentX 2400 c10| Powercolor 6850 | Thermalight Silver Arrow (bench Super KAZE 3k) | Samsung 830 128gbx2 Raid 0| Fractal case

Xtreme Addict
    I don't understand what you're saying Tomasis... the Silver Arrow is the top air cooler, no? What Thermalright cooler arrived to beat it?

seems he's talking about the Archon. I wouldn't pay much attention to his remarks about thermalright being too quick to release new coolers either, I loled pretty hard reading that part myself.

Xtreme Addict
    Cogage is similar to Silver Arrow, TR should take more time to develop that anyway. It is my critique. Cursed_wings can take money from growing trees, lol!

TR claims that Archon beats Silver Arrow, lets hope not But it is nothing wrong with development of stuffs btw.
    Vishera 8320@ 5ghz | Gigabyte UD3 | 8gb TridentX 2400 c10| Powercolor 6850 | Thermalight Silver Arrow (bench Super KAZE 3k) | Samsung 830 128gbx2 Raid 0| Fractal case

the Archon seems like a different beast, the thing's a slim giant among other single tower HSFs from a look at the specs (the thing's 155mm wide and 170mm tall! lol). it has potential to beat the arrow, but I'm willing to say it'll be similar to the TRUE v. the True Spirit, pretty much equal.

the Cogage Arrow and Silver Arrow are exactly the same other than some fancy heat-pipe end caps, I've heard claims that the bases on the Silver Arrow aren't as convex as the Cogage Arrow either, but no solid confirmation. the only other difference is the fans and mounting kits, the fans on the Silver Arrow are pretty much where the extra cost is justified (though if you're going to replace them it's probably best to just go with the cogage arrow).

there's probably not much they can do to improve the design on the Arrow without increasing it's footprint. I'm not sure about others, but I don't really want to void the warranty on my ram by removing the ramsink (kinda wish g.skill would make the taller ramsinks removable like corsair and a few others have done) and I'm not too thrilled about shaving the bottom fins though I'm not against it, just a bit lazy when it comes to heatsink modding after lapping, lol. in the case of the Archon it's not really possible to get the best performance out of it by using the optimal N<>S orientation with taller ram w/o modding or using a 90* case like the Silverstone Raven so the Cogage Arrow and Silver Arrow are more likely to show better performance (optimal orientation shows up to a 2C increase in most cases, though there are a few instances where it shows no difference outside of case flow problems).

Xtreme Member
    I've never had an issue removing the heatspreaders or tall heatsinks on G.Skill, though I admit that it is a bit time consuming. Any heatgun on low power and a bit of patience will get the job done. I find that a large metal paint scraper provides more than enough leverage on one of the sinks/spreaders to slowly lift without worry about popping the top of a module. With this method, I also find that almost all the tpe comes off with the sink/spreader as well so that makes cleanup much eaiser. Most low wattage heatguns on low will not get hot enough to melt the solder on the RAM. The single bes low profile, aftermarket cooler for your ram has to be EVERCOOL EC-MC-CO Copper Heatsinks. They are NOT copper colored aluminum, or some tin alloy that other (including Evercool) use. They are pure, solid copper heat spreaders with damn good 3M thermal tape. The clips that come with them are nothing more than chrome plated junk that makes it pretty to look at, and really dont serve much use. They are either open to much and like to fall off or closed up too much and refuse to go on without moving the spreaders. If you try to bend them to make them fit in either way, they like to just break. But you dont need them, as the thermal tape is like superglue and will not give way. Give them a try if you have a tower that gets in the way of your first bank. I've gone through about 20 pair in the past few years and they are fantastic for low profile needs.

Since the Cogage Arrow came out in May (If I recall), then were going on a half year at this point. Dont forget that Cogage is a subsidiary of Thermalright. So I dont really think that a half year is that short of a time between heatsink releases. Besides the Arrow offers far more breathing room on the height factor than the new Archon like Cursed_Wings pointed out. Its nice to have a choice in coolers if you happen to have a case that cant fit the Archon. It also nice to see that a cooling comapny is really trying to move its product line to 140mm fans now and supplying a decent one to boot.

Xtreme Addict
    Can't wait to see this Archon!