Yesterday I had very bad day. My best 920 from 45 week suddenly died after bench session. Everything looked good, new OC was very promising – 4.7 GHz Lynx stable on 1.375 VCore is quite nice achievement. Take a look on temps (under water).
When system was idling I’ve decided to increase BCLK by 1MHz. Before that I’ve clicked once on IOH voltage (new value 1.3V) and hit apply button. After that system had been immediately shuttled down and never waked up again. Few minutes later I was 100% sure that my CPU is dead.
But what was happened? Voltages were rather low. System was idling. I’ve only changed IOH voltage… ??
Today I’ve figured out what probably killed my CPU. Look carefully on screen bellow. I made it few second before crash.
Focus on TurboEvo VCore slider and CPU-Z reported real core voltage…
I don’t know why in Evo was so extreme VCore value. What’s more – normally this slider is limited to 1.8V. You cannot manually set value above that! I don’t know why this stupid software was thinking that 2.43V is correct value. When apply button has been hit, this extreme voltage make "good job" and kill CPU (look on CPU-Z – before that everything was perfect).
I’m writing this only for caution – never trust TurboEvo. Always check all values, also these without changes.
In bios "OCV protection" was enabled, so VCore was limited to 1.8 also!