Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fan Testing Commencing GTs vs Noctua vs Silverstone vs Yate

Xtreme Member
    Interested in this as im probably gonna end with 9 GTs or equivalents in my computer

Xtreme X.I.P.
    This is what I have so far, make sure you watch the videos for the noise quality piece. The Rosewill's actually did pretty well from a noise level perspective, but they have a pretty bad tick.

My subjective opinion:
    King of CFM/Noise Level & Noise Quality = Gentle Typhoon AP-15
    King of Budget Fan Noise Quality = Yate Loon
    Very pleasing sound, but not the lowest sound level = Noctua NF-P12

The Noctua has a really good smooth deeper sound, but the volume is not as low as the GT..still a really nice fan. I think some people may actually favor the sound tone of the noctua better even if it is a higher level. The Silverstone is also pretty nice in sound (just not as nice as the noctua), I also had something come loose in the motor that started ticking (Hopefully that was just a fluke). Also the directional grill on the back may help direct air straight out the back, but at the expense of creating more noise per CFM.

I was generally pretty pleased with the sound quality from all but the Rosewills, they were all fairly smooth sounding. But the Rosewills definately have a pronounced motor tick that was annoying to my ears.

Here are the videos in no particular order:

Fan Test 4 Yate Loon D12SM12 Curved Black
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vILqRsVDqX8

Fan Test 4 Servo Nidec (Scythe) Gentle Typhoon D1225C12B5AP-15
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AmF1Z0M8JY

Fan Test 4 Rosewill DF1202512SEMN BlueLED Clear
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLXsDcQvRS4

Fan Test 4 Rosewill DF1202512SEMN Black
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE48YxQwnOo

Fan Test Round 4 - Noctua NF-P12
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuTm9XysZVA

Fan Test 4 Silverstone AP121 HA1225L12SF-Z
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cec_HlQK4IQ

Please use the videos to compare noise quality differences.

Cheers!
    Martin
    Last edited by Martinm210; 09-25-2010 at 04:28 PM.

Xtreme Legend
    Loving this work...Interesting how there seems to be certain fan rpms that resonate ....

I have this on Deltas when on a Lamptron controller but not on a supply at given volts. Not sure how much better your controller is...

Thanks for your work on this

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Guru
    I loved/prefered most this format:
    http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/431...noisesmall.png
    It might help to enhance it's readability with less fans per one chart (eg. divide that much fans in let's say 3-5 categories by something) + you can add few lines across the chart for preset noise db levels that are presumed to be almost completely quiet / quiet / reasonably quiet (don't know how much db these might be, others might comment on that). Also some more play with shown intervals on axis to show even furthier zoomed in only important part.

Hmm .. maybe even made with flash or some scripting, to be able with checkboxes switch on/off only fans one is interested in, + mouse selectable interval to zoom in. (or link to excel file with all that data/original chart )
    Last edited by Church; 09-25-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Let me know what you think of the new format..
    Cheers!
    Martin
    I like it, much easier to read at a glance.

Watched the video's when they were posted on youtube. Had to turn my speakers up to hear the GT's. Very impressive.

To replace my push pull, I would need 12 fans, at 15 bucks a pop. Not including exhaust fans. Pricey proposal.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    FYI,
    I just did some digging on my Mastech meter. I think I was wrong in assuming it has A weighting. The specs don't say anything about what type of dB it is, so it may be unweighted.
    Anyhow, all the more reason to use the videos and you're ears.

This time I did use the Zoom H1 with a fixed microphone gain, so all the Round 4 videos should have relative audio scaling unless something funky happens when youtube processes it. It seems to match the raw files though, so I think the videos are good.

Anyhow, I don't think I'll bother with more charts considering these dB numbers are not weighted. I just don't feel they are a good representation and would rather that folks use the videos and listen..

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Here is my subjective ranking. I tried to think about noise level a little bit, but more importantly think about smoothness of the sound. Very subjective of coarse, but in light of my unweighted meter issue, I think it's the best I can do for charts. I would of coarse highly recommend listening as your primary means to compare.

Xtreme Addict
    Nice to know Yate Loon has a consistent sound, because that actually means a lot to me. It's a lot easier to ignore a smooth constant sound, than a tick or a more dynamic sound that is continually changing.
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Monster
    Thanks Martinm210 for the test, once again my intuition was correct.

I have been using the Noctua NF-S12 for almost 3 years and I have been very happy with it. It is a little better than the Noctua NF-P12 at 12v.

Edit: Here are the specifications at glance as it might help somebody.

NF-S12B-FLX - 120mm Noctua NF-S12B FLX Ultra Quiet Flexible
    1200 RPM
    18.1 dB(A)
    100.6 m³/h
    59.2 CFM

GT-120-1850 - 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon D1225C12B5AP-15
    1,850 rpm
    28 dBA
    98 m³/h
    57.6 CFM

Noctua NF-P12
    1300 RPM
    19.8 dB(A)
    92.3 m³/h
    54.3 CFM
    Last edited by Metroid; 09-25-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Banned
    Someone send him noiseblockers!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metroid View Post
    Thanks Martinm210 for the test, once again my intuition was correct.

I have been using the Noctua NF-S12 for almost 3 years and I have been very happy with it. It is a little better than the Noctua NF-P12 at 12v.

Edit: Here are the specifications at glance as it might help somebody.

NF-S12B-FLX - 120mm Noctua NF-S12B FLX Ultra Quiet Flexible
    1200 RPM
    18.1 dB(A)
    100.6 m³/h
    59.2 CFM

GT-120-1850 - 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon D1225C12B5AP-15
    1,850 rpm
    28 dBA
    98 m³/h
    57.6 CFM

Noctua NF-P12
    1300 RPM
    19.8 dB(A)
    92.3 m³/h
    54.3 CFM
    I'm sure it is as a case fan, but in a radiator scenario, static pressure rules. The P12 is designed for pressure applications like a radiator, the S12 is meant for open case type scenarios. I wouldn't recommend putting an S12 on a rad though.

I like the noctua fans. I don't think they are as quiet as the GTs, but they have a really good sound quality (Smooth/Soft/Lower Tone).

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropluszero View Post
    Someone send him noiseblockers!
    I had some, and gave them all away after my first rounds. Xbit has the noiseblockers up at the top for case fan applications, I'm just focusing on radiator fans is all.

Xtreme Member
    Martin those videos are pure sex Thanks a lot!
    I would be happy to donate towards further testing!
    Personally I would like to see a video of some Fractal Design, Cooler Master and Akasa fans

Xtreme Guru
    I'm looking at those specs provided by Metroid .. good yet another example with how trusted vendor's specs can be .. GTs should be spec-wise more then two times louder then Noctuas (10Db is doubled perceived loudness), yet in real life ..
    That's the reason we cannot trust manufacturer's gamed specs and The Only way to choose Objectively is trusty 3rd party test results.

Too late for suggestions? This sanyo denki is slightly better than the gentle typhoons in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    The Noctua has a really good smooth deeper sound, but the volume is not as low as the GT..still a really nice fan. I think some people may actually favor the sound tone of the noctua better even if it is a higher level. Martin
    Yeps i did, pulled out 4 scythe gt 1850rpm, and put 4 noctua's in. The noctua sound is more pleasing for my ears.
    My hardware changes to fast and to much to keep a sig up to date. I just gave up on the idea.

Xtreme Member
    Right so the GTs are great, but the yates are at least as good as the Silverstones.
    For the money yates really can shine in a variety of circumstances.

ASUS Rampage II Ex 1504
    Intel i7 920 D0 3850A795
    Sapphire HD5970 EK FC 1Ghz/1150Mhz 1.237v
    OS Intel X25-M RAID0
    Data 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200/32Mb
    OCZ Reaper 6GB/1800/C8
    BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 1200w
    1X 18w DDC3.2 w/XSPC Res Top
    1X 18w DDC3.25 w/XSPC Res Top
    1X XSPC Submersible Pump/Res w/RS120mm
    HW Labs GTX480 4x120mm
    TFC Monsta 6x140mm
    EK Supreme LT 3/8" Feser Tubing
    EK IOH/SB and Mosfet Blocks
    Lian Li V2110 w/EX-34
    26" Iiyama Prolite

Xtreme Guru
    neonatas: even at similar cfm? For that imho more pleasant tone is downset by higher overall noise.

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    neonatas: even at similar cfm? For that imho more pleasant tone is downset by higher overall noise.
    Well i have no way to measure cfm's. So i use there preformance, cpu temp wise.to test sound levels. And the noctua's won, but keep in mind this is sound we are talking about, its subjectiv.

I still need to test both fans with tfc shrouds. Then it might change 180 degrees.

But till then, i am one happy silent pc user.
    My hardware changes to fast and to much to keep a sig up to date. I just gave up on the idea.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    So...after thinking long and hard, I've come to the same conclusion I did in my last round.

You really can NOT put a number on noise. Noise level, yes, but not noise quality and quality is more important. As you can see, the rosewills actually have good noise levels, but their sound quality sucks with that motor tick. Listening is the only good way to compare.

I think the following is the very best way to compare fan noise. See what you think:

COMPARISON VIDEO LINK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs3hnMGPGi4

Personally I think the GT is best at 10CFM, 30CFM, and almost smoother at 40CFM.

I give the crown to Noctua for the 20CFM level. The GT has too much of a whine at that level.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12