Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Skinnee Labs] Coolant/Fluid - Thermal Performance

Never go full retard

[Skinnee Labs] Coolant/Fluid - Thermal Performance

Coolant/Fluid Roundup - Thermal Performance

Intro

A topic that seems to resurface every couple of weeks around the forums is what coolant/fluid is best; this usually ends up turning into a heated debate of opinions with no data to douse the flames. There is an ever-growing variety of coolants that are available in a rainbow of colors, which is great for those of you trying to achieve a certain color scheme where colored tubing just will not cut it or you have nightmares when your reservoir contains a clear fluid that just does not match your color scheme.

The variety of fluids on the market have been marketed as anti-corrosive, non-conductive, earth friendly and the list goes on and on. The anti-corrosive feature potentially holds weight for the times when you just cannot avoid a little aluminum in your loop, but the "no more aluminum" crusade eliminated nearly every aluminum product out there. Copper, brass and even silver make up our cooling products now, you have to search out aluminum on purpose to find a product that has it in the flow path. Non-conductive, well, all fluids will become conductive over time in your loop... so there goes that marketing angle.

So what are we left with you ask, color and thermal performance are the only things left in my mind. Those of you who frequent forums have all viewed the threads where colored fluids have broken down and clogged up micro-pins or impingement plates. Additives in our fluids will break down, this should be of no surprise, the piece not discussed on those gunk/clogging threads is that the coolant breaking down contains more than just water and color dye. I am of the opinion (opinion because I have no hard data on the matter) that the additives besides the dye are the real culprit.

Last but not least is performance, and that is exactly what were are on a mission to find with this round of testing and review. Let us not waste any more time with my introduction and get to the matter at hand...

Included in the roundup is Distilled Water with PT_nuke, Feser One, Feser Ultra Pure, Fluid XP Nano-Fluid, Ice Dragon Nanofluid Formula C2, Ice Dragon Nanofluid retail formula, Minnesota Tap water, Primochill PC Ice, Primochill PC Pure, Swiftech Hydrx and Thermochill EC6. We tried to cover as many of the latest trends, popular fluids and classics as possible, we even have tap water fresh from my city water supply. Nanofluids are the latest advancement looking to knock good old distilled water off the hill; we have three, the early prototype formula from Ice Dragon (Formula C2), Ice Dragon retail and the most colorful selection in our roundup Fluid XP Nano-fluid.

Curious about the Test Spec and Methodology, head over and check out the full article for all the details.

Performance and Test Results

Individual Results

Compiled Thermal Results

Conclusion/Final Thoughts

Circling back around to the intro, the coolants included in the roundup cover quite a range of features or selling points. We have the classic distilled water and a simple biocide, vibrant colors, earth friendly, anti-corrosive, dye ready and Nano-particle coolants represented. Each possess something unique that captures the interest of liquid coolers looking to make their build stand out, simplify maintenance or bragging rights on using the latest tech in fluids. Coolants also come with their own set of drawbacks though, dyes and colors stain as well as eventually break down, and glycol tends to show signs of breakdown as well.

While coolant testing appears to be a simple and straightforward endeavor, that is just not reality. Due to the large number of marketing claims there are many different tests both short-term and long-term that would be required to bust or confirm all of the marketing claims. For those reasons, we decided to look purely at thermal performance as stated in the intro of this roundup.

Removing all the noise and getting back to performance, the primary ingredient in every coolant is water, which is why Minnesota Tap water was added into the roundup. The interesting outcome of testing all of these coolants was just how close thermal performance really is, even I expected to see more of a resultant temperature separation amongst the fluids. However, thinking more about each fluid and the fact that water is the primary ingredient in them all the results are not surprising. With our average CPU Core temperatures, we see a spread of 1C and average GPU temperatures spread of 0.7C when we exclude the FluidXP. I exclude FluidXP Nano-fluid from the equation due to the fact that performance was quite awful.

So where does this leave us... In terms of thermal performance, there is a such a small difference between any of the fluids that coolant choice will not make any difference in thermal performance for your setup. Additionally, we can take the previous statement one-step further and apply it to overclocking and with certainty say that coolant choice does not influence your clocks either. Knowing full well what the potential issues are with any fluid that contains additives, yes, I am referring to tube staining and chemical breakdown among others, your coolant choice really comes down to whatever you want to put in your loop and price you are willing to pay.

For me, I go through so much fluid in the lab that cheap distilled water and PT_nuke is my best choice, even Minnesota tap is used on the pump test bench. For those of you who do not have distilled water readily available, Feser Ultra Pure comes to mind... just know you are more than likely buying water from China that was shipped to Germany, then to your favorite reseller only to be shipped to your door. If color is your thing, you have a wide selection and can make your choice based on which coolant best matches the colors in your build. If you are looking for a coolant that has a bit more science and technology rolled in, Ice Dragon Nanofluid is available and has had colors tests with Mayhem dyes to show it can be made into any color you wish if the white is not the look you are after. Same goes for distilled water as well, Mayhem dyes can be added to achieve almost any color if you cannot find a pre-mix that suits your color palette. Just remember, all dyes/color will breakdown and fade over time. Personally, I would avoid the FluidXP Nano-Fluid though as the performance is abysmal. Just to reiterate, thermal performance differences amongst the coolants is very small, hopefully this puts the age-old question to rest.

Before we close the chapter on Coolant Performance, we need to extend our gratitude to Gigabyte for providing a motherboard for system level testing and FrozenCPU, Thermochill and Ice Dragon Cooling for sending coolants over to the lab for testing. Without the help and support of these companies, this test would not have been possible, thanks again! With that said, put the cork back in the bottle, thermal performance testing of coolants is complete.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Awesome stuff skinee
    Surprised at the FluidXp Nano fluid.. just another confirmation that good old distilled cant be beat
    cheers you mythbuster you

Intel Core i7 3960x | 3x Intel Core i7 980x | 3x Intel Core i7 920 | 2x Intel Core i7 2600k | 2x AMD opteron 6282 SE | 3x Asus Rampage II Extreme | 2x Asus Rampage III Extreme | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 1x Gigabyte X58A-UD7 | 2x Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | Asus KGPE-D16 | 3x 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator 1600 Cl7 | 1x Patriot Viper II 6GB 2000 Cl8 | 3x Corsair Hx1000 | 4x Corsair Ax 1200 | 3x Antec 1200 | 4x Corsair Obsidian 800D | 2x Intel 80Gb G2 SSD | 4x Kingston HyperX 120GB | 2x Vertex 2 120GB | 2xWD 150GB Velociraptor + 1x WD 300GB Velociraptor +5TB | Msi Nvidia Gtx 295 | Msi Ati 4870x2 OC Edition | 2x Msi Ati 4890 OC Editions| 2x Sapphire Ati 5870's| Sapphire 5970 OC Edition | 2x Msi Gtx 460 | 3x Sapphire 6970 | 3x Asus Gtx 580 | 3x Asus 7970

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    Great review! Thanks!

DI/PT Nuke for me.

OCM

Xtreme Enthusiast
    this was needed and is well done, thanks

YOU are my review! GJ on the review ! Have you thought about maybe doing some testing with the NEW air coolers out for cpus? I saw you have a few already but with whats out now, maybe you can grab the top 10 most used or common heatsinks? By the way i love the new MB you got! im picking up the x58 UD5 hehe
    HEATWARE
    x58-UD5 ▀▄ i7 950 4.0Ghz ▀▄ ZOTAC GTX 580 ▀▄ Mushkins 1600Mhz

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Awesome work as always, its refreshing to finally see some scientific and controlled test on this.
    Bravo!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for the work Skinnee. For years, the race car industry has been trying to make something that cools and flows better than just plain ole distilled water, and for the most part, after many millions in research and deep chemical engineering work on the properties of fluids, ... they have failed. Aside from a few one off experiments with crazy exotic fluids, that ever so slightly have better properties than water in one area, ..... the hydrogen bonds of water just cant be beat. Both as a wetter and heat absorber, water is da $hit.

So funny that we seemed to have evolved on a planet where our whole biochemistry seems to have revolved around water. Makes it hard to imagine a world where say the xenobiology developed around a different type of chemistry, like say flourine.

Xtreme Guru
    awesome, bookmarked for me. this will solve tons and tons of arguments i see around on different forums!
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks for the test Skinnee, though it took you a while to post it here. It's been on Skinneelabs for like 3-4 days , but that's up to you of course .
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme X.I.P.
    You need to start bottling up that "Minnesota Tap". Put a fancy sticker on a bottle with an chunk of silver in the bottom and call it "Nano-Silver-Sota-Ultra!".

It should sell for at least $30 a liter...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i'd buy it =)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would say sell it as skinnee water but do we realllllllllllly need that many pissed of diet fanantics in here

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Banned
    Again, great work as always Skinnee

I am just amazed that something with the "nano" moniker could be so bad. I mean were they on a mission to find the smallest particle that sucks at transferring heat??

Pure brutal

Upside is you stopped some poor souls from buying it LOL

Xtreme Member
    Made me decide ! GJ Skinee!
    Apple MacBook Air
    Apple IPad 2

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post

Upside is you stopped some poor souls from buying it LOL
    I very much doubt that. a lot of people by on impulse and because of its price people will instantly think "its got to be better" ....

Thats life and we are human ....
    Mayhems Lastest News -> https://www.facebook.com/Mayhems2009

If you need to direct contact me its michael at mayhems dot co dot uk.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Frackin LOL at FluidXP
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedubber View Post
    YOU are my review! GJ on the review ! Have you thought about maybe doing some testing with the NEW air coolers out for cpus? I saw you have a few already but with whats out now, maybe you can grab the top 10 most used or common heatsinks? By the way i love the new MB you got! im picking up the x58 UD5 hehe
    Pretty simple. Send Skinnee all the HS YOU want tested and about 300 to 500 hours of your reality...............be thankful with what you have.

Or you could follow his lead and do it.

If Martin and Skinnee can, so can you!

I am just thankful for his efforts. Not gonna ask for anymore than he gives.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Never go full retard
    folks!

@Conundrum, you can ask all you want...

Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    Pretty simple. Send Skinnee all the HS YOU want tested and about 300 to 500 hours of your reality...............be thankful with what you have.

Or you could follow his lead and do it.

If Martin and Skinnee can, so can you!

I am just thankful for his efforts. Not gonna ask for anymore than he gives.
    OK so RE read my comment, i do appreicate his work as i have made it clear in my post lol . Is it a crime to ask a ? , i never demanded it
    HEATWARE
    x58-UD5 ▀▄ i7 950 4.0Ghz ▀▄ ZOTAC GTX 580 ▀▄ Mushkins 1600Mhz

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mlwood37 View Post
    I very much doubt that. a lot of people by on impulse and because of its price people will instantly think "its got to be better" ....

Thats life and we are human ....
    Quote Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post

Upside is you stopped SOME poor souls from buying it LOL

Fixed

nice test as always, but im confused why any1 making or selling the fluids would send them to u to test. they cannot have actually thought that they were better could they.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast

Another awesome comparison from you Skin.

Ty sir for all your efforts!

Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    I'll come blow on your heatsink for a dollar. Thats pretty ghetto
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony
    sorry to sound harsh but so would you if some one asked if nitroglycerin was a good coolant for his car!
    Check out my forum: http://www.anarchyst-it.com

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    nice test as always, but im confused why any1 making or selling the fluids would send them to u to test. they cannot have actually thought that they were better could they.
    Maybe they just wanted to prove they werent as bad as some people thought?

Although the FluidXP kinda made me

Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    I'll come blow on your heatsink for a dollar. Thats pretty ghetto
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony
    sorry to sound harsh but so would you if some one asked if nitroglycerin was a good coolant for his car!
    Check out my forum: http://www.anarchyst-it.com

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    Its called independent testing !!!!

Some people like to buy premixed liquids, some like to buy pre built units ect ect..

Personally i think its good of them to have faith in some one like skinee to run these tests.
    Mayhems Lastest News -> https://www.facebook.com/Mayhems2009

If you need to direct contact me its michael at mayhems dot co dot uk.

Xtreme Member
    hi there

i have nanofluid in my rig and it performs better than distilled, not really sure why your results came up like that.

it takes a few days to settle down. admittedly, my temps were a little higher when i first filled the loop but i put that down to the blooeding process [and the newley added GTX480]

also, it is slightly more viscous than water with sort of an oily property to it, i found that i needed to turn my pump up slightly to get best results.

fluid goes in the res and is cloudy

fluid goes clear after a few days and works better [i noticed a 4'C-6'C drop in temps across all 6 cores of my cpu and a 3'c drop on the gpu but again put this down to air in the loop/ambient temp change]
    the suspended cloudyness disappears

fluid level in res remains the same, therefore its not really likely that i had/or have trapped air in the loop

quite surprised as my d5 on the 5th setting pushes fluid far faster than the 2x 18w ddc with EK tops that i had prior to that.

i just find it really odd how the fluid that has performed the best in all of my testing, is by far and away the worst in this test.
    Last edited by rjkoneill; 09-22-2010 at 12:13 AM.
    ≠ 4770K - R9 290X Crossfire
    www.overclockers.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast