Thread: GTX 260 Wont Post

Xtreme Addict

GTX 260 Wont Post

Traded my iPod to a guy on the [H] and got a GTX 260. The 260 won't post, so he sent me 75$ for the trouble. However, I think I've figured out what the problem(s) are that may have come up during shipping. Here are some pics.

Underneath the PCI Ex connector, you can roughly see (sorry bad pic) two screws... one is tight, the other is a bit loose and lets the plastic with the 260 logo move a tad. I don't think this is the issue, but it deserves to be thought about.

Towards the top-left of the card (looking at the back of the PCB) there's a chip that has three solder points below it, two of which are intact. The middle one has no actual connection to the solder point below it even though the point does have some solder on it. Screwdriver pointing towards the chip:

Bad closeup:

I have an OCZ ModXStream 700W Pro which I hear isn't a trustable brand, but I do think it'll hold pretty much any 200 series card below the 295. I have both 6-pins in the card and connected to the modular ports. When I turn the computer on, the fan spins (quietly compared to my 9800GT) but no video comes out. I've tried both DVI-ports and there's a funny thing I've noticed with one of them. If I use a certain port, the monitor sometimes has a green light like it's getting a video feed instead of the idle orange light. The other port just gives me orange.
    Last edited by ScottALot; 09-20-2010 at 01:59 PM.
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

c[_]
    neither the screw nor mosfet are your problem.

would fix that screw though in case it falls onto the card and shorts something out, if its not dead already.

Try different 6-pin connectors if you PSU has others, might be you are overloading one "rail" slightly.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    I can't get to the screw without taking the card apart... I've taken my 9800GT apart, you think it's alright to take this one apart?

EDIT: And the ModXStream doesn't have any more ports for cables to be hooked up.
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Looks like that middle pin is completely missing. Can you read the part number on it? I have a feeling that if you just replace that part (handy with a soldering iron?), the card will work.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm not exactly 'handy' but I've soldered a radio together : / I don't have a soldering iron, but i can pick one up at the local hardware store if you guys can tell me what solder to get.\

APL1117
    WL22U

c[_]
    what brand is that card? I cant find that PCB for a GTX260 on google to see if that mosfet is supposed to have all 3 legs connected or not.

Xtreme Addict

c[_]
    .. I cant find a decent PCB shot anywhere on the net that shows whether all 3 legs are connected or not. I dont suspect they are, however.

Part of the problem is that there are about 6 different PCB designs out there it seems.. 3 reference ones (1 for 65nm, 2 for 55nm).

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah I don't think it's connected... Just wondering, how much do dead cards sell for? (parts)

Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    what brand is that card? I cant find that PCB for a GTX260 on google to see if that mosfet is supposed to have all 3 legs connected or not.
    The answer is Yes , i have the exact same EVGA card (PCB) well this one is mine

Xtreme Addict
    Wait, you're the guy who traded it to me?

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by SnW View Post
    The answer is Yes , i have the exact same EVGA card (PCB) well this one is mine
    Yes, it is connected?

edit - dead cards dont sell too well.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottALot View Post
    Wait, you're the guy who traded it to me?
    LOL nope.. i have a working one
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Yes, it is connected?
    Yup it IS.
    Last edited by SnW; 09-22-2010 at 04:38 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    LOL Ray you bastard how are ya. You are making it sound as if you were the seller.
    2600k @ 5.0Ghz 1.54V, Giga Z68, Zotac GTX680 AMP!, Patriot 1066Mhz 8GB RAM, Custom water, Silverstone 1000W, HAF932

Xtreme Addict
    So... solder it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by QuadDamage View Post
    LOL Ray you bastard how are ya. You are making it sound as if you were the seller.
    LOL i kinda did ha i am very fine buddy how are you doing matey? well i know as i am still on FM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottALot View Post
    So... solder it, right?
    Well its already broke so not much that can go wrong buddy IMHO
    if mine breaks you can have it for parts but its Folding as a mad cow...

Xtreme Member
    That looks like a D-Pak MOSFET that you're talking about. The middle pin is internally connected to the big ass metal slug on the other side, so there's no need to solder the middle pin.

Here's a datasheet of a similar type MOSFET: http://www.vishay.com/doc?91284

Xtreme Addict
    Okay, so no need to solder now? If anyone wants to see what they can do with this card, send me a PM offer, it won't be pricy, but it's not going to be like 10$.