Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia's Next Gen Speculation

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by spursindonesia View Post
    A decent yielding 150% version of GF 104 is IMHO still within reach for these guys to develop, sooner than later. Yeah, the chip might be GF 100 sized, but efficiency (perf/watt & perf/area) IMHO will increase somewhat, and the chip will be manufacturable.
    Would it be? I haven't seen any full spec'd GF104's lately, have you?

And then there's the fact that creating a large chip based off of GF104 fundamentals would be incredibly risky. Building huge chips takes a lot of money, time, and engineering resources. If this chip failed to live up to NI, it would not make sense to produce, much like GT200 did not make sense to produce after cypress hit. For Nvidia, a lot of this probably depends on whether they could create a full product at good clock speeds, and this may be uncertain until they actually get silicon in hand. Worse yet, with it's DP and GPGPU functions stripped, this large die would also not make sense to produce for the lucrative professional market vs. GF100. So you have the risky proposition of wasting a ton of resources on a huge die product which may be immediately obsolete and unsellable.

I think the best thing for Nvidia right now is to admit defeat, and plan to come back with a vengence, like AMD after R600. Perhaps they can make their own RV770, or if not then seperate game and GPGPU architectures. Attempting to make a giant die stop-gap poduct is not a good use of resources, and Nvidia has enough money (and the pro market) to sustain themselves for awhile.

Xtreme Addict
    This is not even news!!!
    shouldn't an admin close the thread? after all there is no real point to argue about something speculative and put in in the "news section"

Cheers

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Davis View Post
    lol been there done that. Desktops are a waste of time, cause real men play good games, and good games don't require crazy hardware. Real men don't even care about graphics, and run a game at absolute lowest settings to get max FPS (also been there done that, ie. Q2/3 days).

Basically, if you wanna talk reality, fact is that the laptop is a far superior design to the ancient (and prolly soon to be obsolete) desktop. More and more ppl are buying laptops, while desktops are going the way of the VCR.

Sure, there are tasks still suited to the desktop, just because some ppl (read: NOT gamers) actually need all the power they can get to increase productivity. But do most of us need all that power? Short answer, no. And again, been there, done that. I know all too well the feeling of satisfaction of knowing you've built and OC'ed a nice system, and then ending up surfing the net or playing some 5 year old game.

I'm prolly goin laptop next system...it has the conveniance, it has the right amount of power I need, and I'll have even more satisfaction knowing that I'm gonna be using what I got, and not just trying to boost my e-peen.

I game for hours on end... in a 1K chair, with a German made keyboard, 27" monitor & Klipsch 5.1 surround kicken... to me, there is no point to playing anything but something like tetris on a laptop.

IMO, playing games on a laptop is just a novelty...

Xtreme Addict
    If you're on a budget and absolutely need portability, a laptop is your perfect option.

Laptops have HDMI out (for video/audio), headphone out (for audio), and usb (mouse/keyboard input). It won't perform as well as a desktop, but you do have the ability to use it with all of the aforementioned peripherals.

OH AND GUESS WHAT, I HAVE TO GO STUDY AT THE LIBRARY RIGHT NOW --> Unplug a couple cords and BAM, compute ANYWHERE you want to compute.

With hybrid graphics tech coming along, battery life is becoming less and less of an issue when you opt for a high-end card.

I'm thinking of retiring my desktop and strictly using my laptop, because it uses significantly less power than my desktop. That means more $$ in my pocket.

Xtreme Addict
    Again, all these posts got absolutely nothing to do with the topic......

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    Again, all these posts got absolutely nothing to do with the topic......
    Dude, there is no news here. The only hint of new nvidia parts is a few mobile chips, and those aren't part of the subject matter.

If I were to stay on topic my post would have been:

nvidia next gen: 28nm

/thread

Xtreme Addict
    yeah point taken, but you still quoted what I said, people were talking about gaming on laptops, which is way off topic, if you wanted to make your point stronger against my claim then you should have quoted my previous post.

Xtreme Member

"We are going to hell, so bring your sunblock..."

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    I'd like to have better performance with much less power draw and heat.
    On a plate with a silver lining too?
    i5 750 4.20GHz @ NH-D14 | 8GB | P7P55DLE | 8800U | Indilinx SSD + Samsung F3 | HAF922 + CM750W
    Past: Q6600 @ 3.60 E6400 @ 3.60 | E6300 @ 3.40 | O165 @ 2.90 | X2 4400+ @ 2.80 | X2 3800+ @ 2.70 | VE 3200+ @ 2.80 | WI 3200+ @ 2.75 | WI 3000+ no IHS @ 2.72 | TBB 1700+ @ 2.60 | XP-M 2500+ @ 2.63 | NC 2800+ @ 2.40 | AB 1.60GHz @ 2.60
    Quote Originally Posted by CompGeek
    The US is the only country that doesn't use [nuclear weapons] to terrorize other countries. The US is based on Christian values, unlike any other country in the world. Granted we are straying from our Christian heritage, but we still have a freedom aimed diplomatic stance.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanAndreevich View Post
    On a plate with a silver lining too?
    Lol, I think the usual saying is simply "silver platter", while silver lining has something to do with clouds

Xtreme Addict
    that kinda sounds like Dream Theater's latest album

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    so wait, this thread is based on... nothing?
    this is not how it works, you dont start a topic about an unreleased part without any infos out whatsoever...
    there arent even rumors or speculations about it...

and those rumors on mauro paketti dont make much sense either...
    According to my source NV's next high-end GPU will be GF110 which will be based on GF104's Streaming Multiprocessor module structure (48 CUDA cores in SM) and has the same CUDA cores and ROP ratio (12:1). Rest in the news is just speculation in theory. According to same source GTX 490 with two GF104 is canned. I trust my source but roadmaps and plans change all the time so we can't be sure until NVIDIA announces something officially
    Favourite game: 3DMark
    Work: Muropaketti.com - Finnish hardware site
    Views and opinions about IT industry: Twitter: sampsa_kurri

Banned
    Finally someone brings that on the sun! Whats i know, this GF102 (old project name) is designed on GF104 philosophy, this is GPU only with modules for Gamers, not HPC servers. Lot of transistors belongs to HPC was removed and replaced more Gamers friendly ones. From this point NVIDIA will have TWO GPUs lines, one smaller Gaming GPU and one Big HPC GPU, not only ONE like today in High/end.

I know most important thing, when will be first TWO High-end (replacing GTX 470/480) VGAs on GF110 launched, date will be for EVERYONE great surprise, but i cannot to tell you, sorry.
    Last edited by Zed_X; 09-21-2010 at 01:00 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampsa View Post
    According to my source NV's next high-end GPU will be GF110 which will be based on GF104's Streaming Multiprocessor module structure (48 CUDA cores in SM) and has the same CUDA cores and ROP ratio (12:1). Rest in the news is just speculation in theory. According to same source GTX 490 with two GF104 is canned. I trust my source but roadmaps and plans change all the time so we can't be sure until NVIDIA announces something officially
    its pretty obvious that itll be based on gf10x and not gf100, and not something new yet as there wasnt enough time... the only interesting bit is that its called gf110 and not gf102, thats the first time i hear this...

490 being canceled, i can believe that, but cards being ready and boxed already which will now be smashed and burned, thats just stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by Zed_X View Post
    Finally someone brings that on the sun! Whats i know, this GF102 (old project name) is designed on GF104 philosophy, this is GPU only with modules for Gamers, not HPC servers. Lot of transistors belongs to HPC was removed and replaced more Gamers friendly ones. From this point NVIDIA will have TWO GPUs lines, one smaller Gaming GPU and one Big HPC GPU, not only ONE like today.

I know most important thing, when will be first TWO VGAs on GF110 launched, date will be for EVERYONE great surprise, but i cannot to tell you, sorry.
    yeah and i got a cold fusion reactor in my basement, but i wont show it to anybody
    do you have another nickname by any chance? guru something?
    Last edited by saaya; 09-21-2010 at 01:05 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Finally someone brings that on the sun! Whats i know, this GF102 (old project name) is designed on GF104 philosophy, this is GPU only with modules for Gamers, not HPC servers. Lot of transistors belongs to HPC was removed and replaced more Gamers friendly ones. From this point NVIDIA will have TWO GPUs lines, one smaller Gaming GPU and one Big HPC GPU, not only ONE like today in High/end.

I know most important thing, when will be first TWO High-end (replacing GTX 470/480) VGAs on GF110 launched, date will be for EVERYONE great surprise, but i cannot to tell you, sorry.
    So GF102/110 is the deal ...

And full GF104 will not replace GTX 470 ? November for the new two high-end (475/485 ?) ?

Banned
    heh, you are living only on this forum and dont know me? Look at first post of this thread

GTX 490 was packed here, but not for sale, but for test labs and only few EQUAL samples

Oblivion - No, full SPs GF104 will not replace GTX 470, that plan was buried with GTX 490
    Last edited by Zed_X; 09-21-2010 at 01:11 AM.

Xtreme Member

Finally something sensible from nvidia if true. Building smaller gpu's solely for gaming purpose is nice. Will be much cooler and consume a lot less power and oc more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Legend
    and those rumors on mauro paketti dont make much sense either...
    its pretty obvious..
    First rumors from Muropaketti (me) didn't make much sense and now they are obvious?

Xtreme Mentor
    First rumors from Muropaketti (me) didn't make much sense and now they are obvious?

But maybe we can have 528 SPs (GF104 like) in around 460-500 mm^2

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post

But maybe we can have 528 SPs (GF104 like) in around 460-500 mm^2
    Like already said in original news post, if GF110 is based on GF104 SM configuration possible full chip solutions would be for example 480, 576 or 768 CUDA cores. NV can of course disable 1-2 SM modules so they can also make configurations of 528, 624, 672 and 720 CUDA cores. Especially if they remove HPC parts from GPU they can fit more CUDA cores on same die area.

Xtreme Mentor
    Like already said in original news post, if GF110 is based on GF104 SM configuration possible full chip solutions would be for example 480, 576 or 768 CUDA cores. NV can of course disable 1-2 SM modules so they can also make configurations of 528, 624, 672 and 720 CUDA cores. Especially if they remove HPC parts from GPU they can fit more CUDA cores on same die area.
    Yeah, right, thanks Sampsa

Xtreme Legend
    Maybe we hear something new today from GTC 2010 when Jen-Hsun Huang gives his opening keynote..

Xtreme Member
    Oh, sure

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...9&postcount=34

Xtreme Mentor
    So around 576 SP ~525mm^2 (average between 332 and 366 for GF104) and 170% more perf than GTX 460 (same base clock) will be not that bad

Xtreme Addict
    He is one of those that is confused on this forum and distort a lot.
    4670k 4.6ghz 1.22v watercooled CPU/GPU - Asus Z87-A - 290 1155mhz/1250mhz - Kingston Hyper Blu 8gb -crucial 128gb ssd - EyeFunity 5040x1050 120hz - CM atcs840 - Corsair 750w -sennheiser hd600 headphones - Asus essence stx - G400 and steelseries 6v2 -windows 8 Pro 64bit Best OS used - - 9500p 3dmark11 (one of the 26% that isnt confused on xtreme forums)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast