Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I clear my wc parts with non-distilled water?

Can I clear my wc parts with non-distilled water?

Hi Folks;

My wc parts just arrived now! so... I'm very happy and I want to build it soon

Butttt... I saw on this thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=54331) it's necessary clean my rad and cpu block w/ distilled water and vinegar or distilled water w/ isopropil alcohol, before a start use it.

So, here is my question: Can I clear my wc parts with non-distilled water, and after dry w/ a hair dryer? There is some problem?

I'm asking for help because it is a little bit hard to find distilled water in Brazil and I want start to build it now.... or if you guys say I should not do that, I still waiting until find distilled water to clean them.

Thx.
    AMD PII X4 965 BE۱ Asus M4A79T-Deluxe۱ 4gb Corsair Dominator + AirFlow۱ ATi 5870۱ 1,5TB HDD's۱ ST850W۱ CM Sniper Black Edition ●
    Razer Gaming: Lycosa + Carcharias + Mamba + Goliathus

Liquid Cooled by: EK Supreme HF۱ Swiftech MCP355 + XSPC Premium Acrylic Reservoir w/ (UN) Designs Infinite pump bracket۱ Swiftech MCR220 @2 Yates D12SM-12C۱ Bitspower MatteBlack fittings۱ PrimoFlex PRO LRT White Tubing

Xtreme Member
    Yes you can, just finish of with distilled water to get out all the tap (or whatever) out of your parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth42o View Post
    Yes you can, just finish of with distilled water to get out all the tap (or whatever) out of your parts.
    Right... I have 1 Bottle of PC ICE here, but for me it was expensive to buy it (shippment costs, taxes etc), so I'm afraid to use it and don't have enough to fill my wc system.

What should I do?

Thanks!
    AMD PII X4 965 BE۱ Asus M4A79T-Deluxe۱ 4gb Corsair Dominator + AirFlow۱ ATi 5870۱ 1,5TB HDD's۱ ST850W۱ CM Sniper Black Edition ●

Liquid Cooled by: EK Supreme HF۱ Swiftech MCP355 + XSPC Premium Acrylic Reservoir w/ (UN) Designs Infinite pump bracket۱ Swiftech MCR220 @2 Yates D12SM-12C۱ Bitspower MatteBlack fittings۱ PrimoFlex PRO LRT White Tubing

Xtreme Member
    It might be cheaper for you to get deionised water (used for car batteries and steam irons) it certainly is in the UK
    | Completed: Project "Simples" | Custom TJ07 | P67A-UD3 | 2600K | GTX460 | MCR320+MCR220 | DDC 18W+XSPC Res |
    | In progress: Project "Weebeastie" | A70B | P6T7 WS | i7-970 | 4xGTX470 | PA120.3+RX240+TFC120 | XSPC Dual-Pump-BayRes |
    | In progress: Project "Gemini" | PC-P80B | EVGA SR-2 | 2xX5650 | 7100GS | PA140.3 | EK DCP-4.0 |

Quote Originally Posted by Biffa View Post
    It might be cheaper for you to get deionised water (used for car batteries and steam irons) it certainly is in the UK
    Hi Biffa!

What's the difference between distilled water and deionised water?
    Thanks for your advice!

Ahh.. I live in Brazil, not UK

Hugs!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GangstarrapeR View Post
    Hi Biffa!

Thanks for your advice!

Hugs!
    im brazilian but i live in japan.

compra nas farmacias agua pra lente de contato ou agua que usam em carros .
    eu uso agua que limpa lente de contato. acho que deve ser 70 centavos no brasil.

Xtreme Member
    what ?
    Apple MacBook Air
    Apple IPad 2

Xtreme Member
    Best if you keep conversations here in English and use PM's for Portuguese. That way this thread will also help others that happen to find it later on .
    Specs:
    HW: Lian Li PC-A71F | i7 920 | P6T Deluxe | HD5870 | 6GB OCZ Platinum 2000mhz | AX850W | Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 | Intel X25-M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB Caviar Green
    WC: EK-FC5870 | EK Supreme HF | Swiftech MCP655 with EK top | ThermoChill PA120.2 | ThermoChill PA120.3 | EK Multioption 250
    Other: Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans | Aqua Computer Aquaero | Bitspower Comp. Fittings

Xtreme Member
    Hi Biffa!

Thanks for your advice!

Hugs!
    Its just a different method of removing the trace elements from the water, one uses a steam filtration (distilled) and the other uses an electronic method (ionisation). Well thats the limit of my chemistry skills

I know you are in Brazil, what I was saying was that it might be like in here in the UK where deionised is easy and cheap and distilled is just not easy to obtain cheaply.
    | Completed: Project "Simples" | Custom TJ07 | P67A-UD3 | 2600K | GTX460 | MCR320+MCR220 | DDC 18W+XSPC Res |
    | In progress: Project "Weebeastie" | A70B | P6T7 WS | i7-970 | 4xGTX470 | PA120.3+RX240+TFC120 | XSPC Dual-Pump-BayRes |
    | In progress: Project "Gemini" | PC-P80B | EVGA SR-2 | 2xX5650 | 7100GS | PA140.3 | EK DCP-4.0 |

Quote Originally Posted by alexjpn View Post
    im brazilian but i live in japan.

compra nas farmacias agua pra lente de contato ou agua que usam em carros .
    eu uso agua que limpa lente de contato. acho que deve ser 70 centavos no brasil.
    Eae Alex, beleza meu velho!

Water to clean contact lenses? Very interesting, I'll looking for it on a drugstore near here.

Nice tip, probably I'll do that, thanks a lot dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Biffa View Post
    Its just a different method of removing the trace elements from the water, one uses a steam filtration (distilled) and the other uses an electronic method (ionisation). Well thats the limit of my chemistry skills

I know you are in Brazil, what I was saying was that it might be like in here in the UK where deionised is easy and cheap and distilled is just not easy to obtain cheaply.
    Ahhhh... Gotcha!

Sorry about my mistake, thx again! Helps me a lot!

Cheers!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Yes, I actually always flush with tap. Just get a hose barb threaded attachment and let the faucet do it's thing. I never bother with the whole boiling distilled water thing, I just turn the faucet on hot and flush it both ways...seems to do ok for me.

IMO, anything bad in tap water is a lot less harmful than the gunk/flux/oils etc left behind from manufacturing that you're flushing out.

In fact you would probably be just fine running tap water for coolant, but as cheap as grocery store distilled is..you might as well at least used distilled for the fill up. I'm a cheapskate, but not THAT cheap.

But don't worry about using distilled for heavy cleaning..

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Yes, I actually always flush with tap. Just get a hose barb threaded attachment and let the faucet do it's thing. I never bother with the whole boiling distilled water thing, I just turn the faucet on hot and flush it both ways...seems to do ok for me.

IMO, anything bad in tap water is a lot less harmful than the gunk/flux/oils etc left behind from manufacturing that you're flushing out.

In fact you would probably be just fine running tap water for coolant, but as cheap as grocery store distilled is..you might as well at least used distilled for the fill up. I'm a cheapskate, but not THAT cheap.

Actually, I would look at his location.
    Brazil is not known for their Clean tap water.

Every person in Brazil that can afford to own and maintain a filteration system does so. So it depends on the quality of this filter and if he is willing to wait for the filter to do its job.

^^^^
    Click me

Xtreme Addict

Unfortunately, not everyone is lucky enough to have such clean tap water . I got lucky, and live in a city which almost has the cleanest tap water of our country, but there are several cities where the water just contains too much calcium and other minerals to be used safely inside a loop.

One cheap way to get distilled if it's not available in the store is by tapping it from the clothes dryer. Some dryers dump it directly into the drain, others store it in a small tank that needs to be emptied regularly. If you have the luxury of a clothes dryer, but don't have a store that sells distilled water, this is one way to get it, without going through the hassle of boiling it yourself .
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Mentor
    Make sure you have some form of biocide in your loop after you reassemble (PT nuke and/or silver kill coil). The problem with tap water is not so much the metal ions (Ca, Na, K, etc) as those flush out easily with DI, but the little critters that take up residence from the tap clean, even flushing with DI will not get rid of them all after running through with tap. After a month or so you will see algae growth, a few drop of PT nuke usually kills them all off.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Please don't use vinegar or alcohol to clean your blocks initially - save that only if they are gunked up and you have to try something else besides water ... *** heading back to link to clarify cleaning again ***

Xtreme Enthusiast
    this is what I used to clean the blocks and also as my coolant (+pt nuke) back when my system was still running LC'ed. had zero issues with it. ran over 1 year.

should be easy to find in any drugstore.

E8600 - Maximus Formula II - HIS 4870x2 - Mushkin DDR2 1066 2x2GB - Silverstone DA 850W - Silverstone TJ09 - TRUE Black

Ohh... really, does things what you said makes me a bit comfortable

Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurz View Post
    Actually, I would look at his location.
    Brazil is not known for their Clean tap water.

Every person in Brazil that can afford to own and maintain a filteration system does so. So it depends on the quality of this filter and if he is willing to wait for the filter to do its job.
    Well, tap water on Brazil is treated, but isn't ideal to human consuption, so... maybe couldnīt be perfect to clean my wc parts
    I have a good quality filter in my house, if I canīt find distiled (or deionized) water, probably I'll warm filtered water to clean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    Unfortunately, not everyone is lucky enough to have such clean tap water . I got lucky, and live in a city which almost has the cleanest tap water of our country, but there are several cities where the water just contains too much calcium and other minerals to be used safely inside a loop.

One cheap way to get distilled if it's not available in the store is by tapping it from the clothes dryer. Some dryers dump it directly into the drain, others store it in a small tank that needs to be emptied regularly. If you have the luxury of a clothes dryer, but don't have a store that sells distilled water, this is one way to get it, without going through the hassle of boiling it yourself .
    I have a clothes dryer, but itīs impossible to get water from it
    BTW, thanks for your suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    Make sure you have some form of biocide in your loop after you reassemble (PT nuke and/or silver kill coil). The problem with tap water is not so much the metal ions (Ca, Na, K, etc) as those flush out easily with DI, but the little critters that take up residence from the tap clean, even flushing with DI will not get rid of them all after running through with tap. After a month or so you will see algae growth, a few drop of PT nuke usually kills them all off.
    Right, I have one bottle of Primochill PC ICE here, if I clean my system w/ warm filtered water and after filling up my loop w/ PC ICE, I might have some problem?

Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Please don't use vinegar or alcohol to clean your blocks initially - save that only if they are gunked up and you have to try something else besides water ... *** heading back to link to clarify cleaning again ***
    Thanks for warning me Shazza!

Quote Originally Posted by hoax View Post
    this is what I used to clean the blocks and also as my coolant (+pt nuke) back when my system was still running LC'ed. had zero issues with it. ran over 1 year.

should be easy to find in any drugstore.
    Thatīs what I need
    I'll try to find, today I went to a drugstore, they have distiled water, but only for itself use

Xtreme Enthusiast
    don't buy the demineralized water for batteries sold around here, they are too dirt.

The cheapest and clean I found in Brazil are the 5L bootles from Fortsan http://www.fortsan.com.br/novo/index..._dnt&id=isento

they can be found on medical products stores.
    My Lian Li G70
    Asus P6X58D-E * i7-930 * Saphire 7970 * 6GB Corsair XMS3 1600 C7 * Crucial M4 256GB SSD * Lian Li G70W Powdercoated
    Watercooled by single loop Coolgate Quad 120 + Swiftech MCR220 with San Aces H1011 * EK Supreme HF * Koolance VID-AR797 * EK Asus X58 full set * DDC 3.25 with EK Dual Top/Res

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I have never seen any tests to show that flushing with tap water is in any way harmful.

If anyone has some links to share where that's been shown, I'd like to take a look...

i would not clean with tap if u have hard water, hard water can kill a shower door with 1 use so i can imagine that u would want that on a block
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Hi Biffa!

Thanks for your advice!

Hugs!
    Distillation is evaporation of liquid water into vapor (which then leaves contaminants which don't evaporate behind), and condensation back into liquid water.

De-ionization is removal of contaminants by mechanical means, mainly filtration.

In general, distilled water is cleaner than deionized. The very cleanest water available is prepared using distillation.

The reason for the two is that in situations where a continuous supply of clean water is needed, distillation is not always practical.

De-ionization is typically passive, meaning that it doesn't require any power other than the pressure of the water supply to perform purification. It typically uses simple, easy to maintain equipment.

Distillation is usually done with heat or vacuum, which requires power, making distilled water more expensive, and less convenient. Semi-large scale distillation requires semi complex, difficult to maintain equipment (compared to that used for de-ionization).

Most industrial facilities use de-ionized water due to cost and convenience. Distillation systems are usually only found in places like scientific facilities or chemical manufacturers, where the slight extra purity is critical and the added cost is irrelevant.

Once you get up to very large scale water purification operations, such as the bottles of distilled or filtered (de-ionized) water found in grocery stores, economy of scale causes the two to become closer in cost, which is the reason distilled or filtered water purchased by the consumer are both very cheap.
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, tap water on Brazil is treated, but isn't ideal to human consuption, so... maybe couldnīt be perfect to clean my wc parts
    I have a good quality filter in my house, if I canīt find distiled (or deionized) water, probably I'll warm filtered water to clean it.
    I can't talk about Sao Paulo city, but in Brasilia you can drink straight from the faucet.

I clean my rads with tap water and use the deionized to final clean and in the loop
    My Lian Li G70
    Asus P6X58D-E * i7-930 * Saphire 7970 * 6GB Corsair XMS3 1600 C7 * Crucial M4 256GB SSD * Lian Li G70W Powdercoated
    Watercooled by single loop Coolgate Quad 120 + Swiftech MCR220 with San Aces H1011 * EK Supreme HF * Koolance VID-AR797 * EK Asus X58 full set * DDC 3.25 with EK Dual Top/Res

I have never seen any tests to show that flushing with tap water is in any way harmful.

If anyone has some links to share where that's been shown, I'd like to take a look...
    +1 ... I always use tap water first to get a good flushing for radiators. Then a few quick rinses with distilled or deionized.

Tap water would have to be really bad to react / form deposits while flushing through a radiator - the point is the movement of the water through the radiator is enough to get anything out of most modern radiators. (there's always the exception, but that will require more than water to clean)

Just a curiosity:
    In car radiators it is strongly advised NEVER to use distilled or deionized water because of its aggressivity toward metals. They advise to use tap water,radiator coolant additive will keep under control calcification of the loop.
    THis is advised either for cheap coolant/radiators either for expensive high performance coolant/radiators.
    Don't understand yet why in water cooling things seems to be so different. SOmeone can enlighten me?

Regarding the flush of radiator with tap water i think it is the ideal for price/performance ratio. It is enough avery small flow of pure(distilled) water to move out any possible residual of minerals that can be dispersed in those few drops of liquid remained in a rad after a flush.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Yeah, the whole boiling distilled water in a pot thing...not only does it sound like a pain, I doubt it's agressive enough in flushing to do any good.

I've always used the hot tap water flush both directions method, pour out, rise with distilled...call it good. Works great for me..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast