Thread: Using a wireless access point on a controlled ethernet network

Xtreme Cruncher

Using a wireless access point on a controlled ethernet network

I'm living at school in an on-campus apartment and want to be able to connect my PS3 to the internet. There's a wireless network but it's WPA2 Enterprise, which the PS3 does not support. Ethernet would work but there are no jacks in the living room, and I would rather not have a 30 foot cable running around the apartment .

So what I wanted to do was use an old router (WRT54G Tomato) as a wireless access point to the ethernet network. In order to connect wired devices to the network you only need to register the MAC address and the device then gets an IP address automatically. So, my question is would this work? Could I connect the router to the wired network and then the PS3 to the router (thereby using the router as an access point)? Or will the PS3 not be able to obtain an IP address automatically?

Any other ideas?
    3570K ● Asus V Gene ● 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 ● EVGA 660 Ti SC ● Seasonic X750 ● 128GB Samsung 830 SSD & External 1TB RAID1

SupremeFX SPDIF -> MHDT Constantine DAC -> Darkvoice 336i Tube Amplifier -> AKG K701

X. I. P.
    I'm running an Xbox through a wired connection to a Linksys WRT54g setup as a WAP in my home network (WPA2/PSK) so I don't see why not. Though, I've hard-coded the IP address to simplify things on the Xbox side.
    The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Xtreme Member
    So you need a Wireless device that can act as a Wireless bridge, independently of what the other wireless device are set too or set the Wrt54 to Wireless Client mode. All the device does is bridge the wireless and wired interfaces together.

Once that is setup you should be able to use DHCP because the device is bridging the networks, just make sure the wrt wireless client isn't running dhcp and is not sharing the same internal address as your Access Point, it just may confuse things.

Q9650 @ 4.05Ghz
    ATI Radeon 4870x2
    2 x 2Gb OCZ DDR3 @ 1800Mhz
    Evga 790i :-)
    Tagan 1100w PSU :-)
    3 x OCZ Core v2 32Gb SSD's on Perc 5i :-)

Cooling: DTEK Fuzion, PA120.3, EK Res250, DDC18W with Petras Top

Xtreme Member
    I know you're going to use tomato but here is some info about wireless bridges and how to set them up:
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

Also, I don't know if you're going to make the network admins very happy though. What I would do is connect your laptop to the schools network and then share that connection through ethernet called "Internet Connection Sharing", more on that:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ection-Sharing

Xtreme Member
    Oh man. I've been in this situation. And it isn't pretty. To be blunt, your best bet is to get a wireless router. This accomplishes 2 things: 1.) It allows you to control your encryption platform. And two, it masks the number of devices on your particular part of the network.

At the school I went to, we had another issue: Bluesocket. Which links your mac address to your username, so you couldn't be in two places at once. It was painful. At least with the router you could have however many devices as your internal subnet would allow.

tl;dr: Get a wireless router, save the headaches.
    ==========================================
    XClio 1000, Gigabye GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    AMD Phenom II 955BE @3.2 GHz, Noctua NH-D14
    CORSAIR 950TX 950W, 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600
    Sapphire 4850x2 CFX
    Win7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by stangracin3 View Post
    and the more i type the more BS comes out of my keyboard. LOL

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks for the replies

So I connected the router to the wall and then my computer to the router (wired) and PS3 to the router (wireless) and everything works great. The only issue I'm having now is once the router connects to the wall it obtains its IP address and then I lose access to the configuration screen. Even if I put the router's IP address into the address bar it won't connect. Ping requests give back "Destination Host Unreachable." I'm guessing it has to do with how the network/firewall is setup here. Is there a way to telnet or SSH into the router? Even if I disconnect it from the campus network it keeps it's school IP address and I can't connect to it. The only way to connect to it is to reset the router to it's defaults.

My IP: 129.2.237.XXX
    Router IP: 129.2.237.YYY
    Subnet: 255.255.254.000 (both)
    Default Gateway: 129.2.236.1
    3570K ● Asus V Gene ● 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 ● EVGA 660 Ti SC ● Seasonic X750 ● 128GB Samsung 830 SSD & External 1TB RAID1

SupremeFX SPDIF -> MHDT Constantine DAC -> Darkvoice 336i Tube Amplifier -> AKG K701

Turn DHCP on and plug the cable into the routers WAN port. This will enable NAT, and you should then be able to get to the routers settings. I think the routers config is still setup to listen on the 192.168.1.1 address. You could also try manually setting up your comp to 192.168.1.10 with the DNS and gateway set to 192.168.1.1 and then try to get to the config.