Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Benchmarks Zacate APU, 2x Faster GPU Performance than Core i5

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Clearly so, jimbo. The laptop must have not had the power saving GPU setting set to performance as someone else speculated.
    Guy said it was set to performance mode?

I am Xtreme
    maybe it overheated playing CoH

Xtreme Addict
    well the ie9 beta is released tomorrow, i think that the preview is a little screwy.
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Member
    Direct2D acceleration doesn't look to be enabled at all for the Intel system.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by god_43 View Post
    well the ie9 beta is released tomorrow, i think that the preview is a little screwy.
    Which doesn't matter since everyone is using the same software. And we even saw a GMA 4500 scoring the same as a GMA HD or HD5870.

The presentation was bonked.

Quote Originally Posted by richierich View Post
    Guy said it was set to performance mode?
    If he isn't mistaken, then there aren't a lot of other explanations that I can think of. The i3 can't perform that badly unless something is horribly wrong.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I think that maybe the intel GPU driver doesn't properly support IE9 hw acceleration.The rest of the presentation should be representative of i5's GPU performance.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    Which doesn't matter since everyone is using the same software. And we even saw a GMA 4500 scoring the same as a GMA HD or HD5870.

The presentation was bonked.
    yeah your right, something is messed up? i mean they could have picked better tests i think? apparently this is in direct x 9 right? why, i mean cant we move past it?
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

I am Xtreme
    anyone notice that most numbers are very similar, almost looks like a fps cap to me

Xtreme Cruncher
    my OCed i7 920 + GTX260 scores ~650. cpu utilization is about 3-4% and gpu utilization is ~35% while my notebook with an i7 and a 5730 scores 580. perhaps there is limited parallelism in this bench hence low end and high end hardware perform similarly.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    anyone notice that most numbers are very similar, almost looks like a fps cap to me
    Aero is vsynced.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post
    perhaps there is limited parallelism in this bench hence low end and high end hardware perform similarly.
    That was my guess too.Something is limiting the scores across the platforms.

I am Xtreme
    looking like a test that just says, good enough, or something be messed up

Xtreme Member
    Guys you are aware this is the 18w i5 that was being tested, yes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH5A4D9qoDQ forward to 1:47 and it looks like it's the UM being tested.
    Last edited by jimbo75; 09-14-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    Aero is vsynced.
    Doesnt matter in this case.
    I get the same results @ 75 vs 60hz. Windows Classic doesnt change anything, neither does killing WDM.exe.
    I tried playing a 720p MKV @ DXVA via EVR + AERO enabled at the same time while running the test and no change. Always 606 points in Hallucinogenic mode.

BTW, HD4290 256MB Shared. Dont ask ...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo75 View Post
    Guys you are aware this is the 18w i5 that was being tested, yes?
    There is no 18W model that runs @ 2.4Ghz,like the one in the demo.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    There is no 18W model that runs @ 2.4Ghz,like the one in the demo.
    Can you point to the part in the video where he says its 2.4ghz informal? It's not totally clear but if you listen to about 1:45 onwards it seems that they are talking about the i5 @ 18w - the first guy asks and he is pointing the camera at the i5, then the AMD seems to point his hand at it and say "this is 18w".

edit - just wondering if the 2.4ghz thing was suggested in the press or if it was mentioned in any of the demo's? Can anybody find anything in any of the demo's that suggests the i5 is running at 2.4ghz?
    Last edited by jimbo75; 09-14-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I thought that I saw the 2.4Ghz figure in one of the videos,but I can't find it now... So after all,it may be the same 18W i5 system,in which the GPU runs at very low clocks and CPU is in the 1.2-2Ghz(Turbo) range.It fits with the scores at least... And it really is logical to compare 18W i5 vs 18W Zacate,same power band etc.

Xtreme Member
    Hmm interesting, though that could be an easy mistake to make.

Is there any evidence of 2.4ghz being mentioned? That would pretty much nail my theory stone dead.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks enumae,I've missed it. M520 has a 500Mhz GPU and the whole chip is 35W,not really a competitor to Zacate. The 18W i5 is more appropriate for comparison IMO,but that one has really low CPU and GPU clocks.

edit: maybe the guy actually meant Intel® Core™ i5-520UM ,it's easy mistake to make,one letter. This one fits perfectly,it's 18W and has low clocks.
    http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=47554
    Graphics Base Frequency 166 MHz
    Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency 500 MHz

Clock Speed 1.066 GHz
    Max Turbo Frequency 1.866 GHz

Max TDP 18 W
    Last edited by informal; 09-14-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Thanks enumae,I've missed it. M520 has a 500Mhz GPU and the whole chip is 35W,not really a competitor to Zacate. The 18W i5 is more appropriate for comparison IMO,but that one has really low CPU and GPU clocks.

edit: maybe the guy actually meant Intel® Core™ i5-520UM ,it's easy mistake to make,one letter. This one fits perfectly,it's 18W and has low clocks.
    http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=47554
    Lol, this just gets more confusing

I think it is the UM. This 10% score in the browser thing in 2d might be indicative of the seriously low 2d clock of 166mhz, whereas the game City of Heroes would at least turbo the graphics up to 500mhz, meaning it's about half as good as this Zacate chip (and that is also what we are seeing).

I'm ruling nothing out however.

I am Xtreme
    zacate.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lLNHTu4oLk

Still doesn't explains the botched results.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wm@n View Post
    no.. the question is what will bulldozer do to sandy bridge ...
    Just a feeling but prolly nothing.
    2600k @ 5.0Ghz 1.54V, Giga Z68, Zotac GTX680 AMP!, Patriot 1066Mhz 8GB RAM, Custom water, Silverstone 1000W, HAF932

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast