Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: AMD Benchmarks Zacate APU, 2x Faster GPU Performance than Core i5

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by generics_user View Post
    and the cheapest atom is 200$ cheaper than i3 with a higher die size than ontario/zacate

SB CULV is way too expensive to compete with ontarion and zacate,
    additionally i3 culvs clock at 1.2ghz and their VGA core is clocked extremely low, low end CULV is going to be destroyed by Zacate due to die size (less than 50%); power consumption (several watts lower) and performance (VGA is at least 2-3 times faster than a CULV, CPU is 20-30% slower than a CULV at the same clock speed but clocked 25% higher than the cheapest i3

Current low end CULVs are going to get owned by Zacate and sandy bridge CULV is going to be at least 2 quarters behind zacate
    Well yes to the Ontario part but no to the Zacate part, because weather you like it or not CPU's are categorized by performance and price not by die size.

Zacate is suppose to have 18W TDP and there cpu's like the Sandy Bridge based CULV and Arrandale based U3xxx/U5xxx/i3-3xxUM are bound to crop up sooner or later.

I have said this before also "i'll search my post and re post here" Intel always had an eye for the Zacate type cpu it had a direction to go 4-5 months ago but i dont know how much it has changed. Earlier on the Sandy Bridge based CULV was suppose to have a single core and HT "This depended a lot on the Sandy Bridge flexibility and final production silicon". Dont know about the GPU but if the same 12 unit GPU was used that could lead to serious show down.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    Well yes to the Ontario part but no to the Zacate part, because weather you like it or not CPU's are categorized by performance and price not by die size.

Zacate is suppose to have 18W TDP and there cpu's like the Sandy Bridge based CULV and Arrandale based U3xxx/U5xxx/i3-3xxUM are bound to crop up sooner or later.

I have said this before also "i'll search my post and re post here" Intel always had an eye for the Zacate type cpu it had a direction to go 4-5 months ago but i dont know how much it has changed. Earlier on the Sandy Bridge based CULV was suppose to have a single core and HT "This depended a lot on the Sandy Bridge flexibility and final production silicon". Dont know about the GPU but if the same 12 unit GPU was used that could lead to serious show down.
    Well, price is always issue. There is always people who buy premium, but if you get almost same performance with lower price, most will go for it imho most dont understand the performance and will go for cheaper one.

Also that single core wont be as responsive as dualcore in desktop you know it.

Xtreme Addict
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Addict
    it plays way better in firefox beta 4.0b7pre
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Banned

Xtreme Addict
    i love that comment on visual experience part. Marketing can be so funny.

they never had any graphics which was able to allow mainstream and casual gaming, let alone now on the ultra-thin market where they have to downscale huge to get in that power enveloppe
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nintendork View Post
    The igp of Zacate is awesome to make up the cpu frequency bottleneck xD.

Batman Arkham Asylum 1024x768 High

Athlon II X4 620 2.6Ghz + HD3300 + sideport
    14fps

Zacate 1.6Ghz dual core + 80SP igp
    16fps

Anand
    Did you overclock your IGP yet? I overclocked it to 850 MHZ ~ 900 MHz through bios... gave me really huge performance jump.

That's on high. On medium Batman moves arround 25-30fps. Any modern game can be played around that number in low/low-medium (not all dudes want high settings with 8xAA, just enjoy gaming or doing it in their beds). And there's also the mmo's.

For what you get there's nothing bad. Same can be said for people that just a buy a pc and not want a dedicated gpu because they're not hardcore gamer, play eventually or just want to save money.

A lot of older games are better than the now scriptedashell-hollywood-like games.

And you forget Llano, the igp of that chip can move Crysis in high and any modern game with decent fps (HD5550/9600GSO~)

Yep, MMOs
    Last edited by blindbox; 09-20-2010 at 01:56 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Overclock to 900 boost performance around 10-15% but this is my emergency gpu(4770 the main one) so I don't want to hurt him xD.
    Athlon II X4 620 2.6Ghz @1.1125v | Foxconn A7DA-S (790GX) | 2x2GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066
    | Gigabyte HD4770 | Seagate 7200.12 3x1TB | Samsung F4 HD204UI 2x2TB | LG H10N | OCZ StealthXStream 500w| Coolermaster Hyper 212+ | Compaq MV740 17"

Stock HSF: 18°C idle / 37°C load (15°C ambient)
    Hyper 212+: 16°C idle / 29°C load (15°C ambient)

Why AMD Radeon rumors/leaks "are not always accurate"
    Reality check

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This is the video from the batman bench in the AMD event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btH_gwd8CSg

Batman on medium settings. Compared to my system Zacate is more fluent and stay most of the time 20-23fps. I'm more in the 17-21fps.

AII X4 620 + HD3300 + sideport 1024x768 medium

@800x600 medium

================================================== =

So:

Min fps looking at video
    i5 520m 2.4Ghz 11-12fps
    HD3300 X4 620 2.6Ghz 16fps
    80SP GPU "X2 1.6Ghz" 17-18fps
    Last edited by Nintendork; 09-20-2010 at 09:24 PM.
    Athlon II X4 620 2.6Ghz @1.1125v | Foxconn A7DA-S (790GX) | 2x2GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066
    | Gigabyte HD4770 | Seagate 7200.12 3x1TB | Samsung F4 HD204UI 2x2TB | LG H10N | OCZ StealthXStream 500w| Coolermaster Hyper 212+ | Compaq MV740 17"

Reality check

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's so obvious that for casual usage for mobile users, these new chips from AMD seem very competitive, better on most parts. It's just a matter of pricing strategy, and with it's apparent better perf/area compared to current mobile solution from AMD (and also Intel but it's a conjecture of mine), i think they can be more aggressive in winning market share and mind share of consumers out there.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They need an agressive campaign for the average "clueless" joe. Now it's the time.

Many of my friends are now in ther second netbook because of the lame performance of atoms. Started with Atom's, now with AII Neo's, happy guys. TII Neo's are more expensive.
    Last edited by Nintendork; 09-20-2010 at 10:28 PM.

Reality check

I am Xtreme
    They need an agressive campaign for the average "clueless" joe. Now it's the time.

Many of my friends are now in ther second netbook because of the lame performance of atoms. Started with Atom's, now with AII Neo's, happy guys. TII Neo's are more expensive.
    if AMD was smart they would have a whole campaign showing off a netbook thats only 9" doing the same thing as a 15" laptop.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    if AMD was smart they would have a whole campaign showing off a netbook thats only 9" doing the same thing as a 15" laptop.
    Yup showing some apps that consume more CPU power on Zacate in comparison with Atom would have done a lot of good for them but sadly AMD thinks netbooks are only for gaming on the go. For example moderate Video editing and Photo editing are a no go on Atom processors. showing these on Ontario would have at least impressed me because I already know that their GPU's are excellent. What I want to know is the CPU performance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu83 View Post
    Yup showing some apps that consume more CPU power on Zacate in comparison with Atom would have done a lot of good for them but sadly AMD thinks netbooks are only for gaming on the go. For example moderate Video editing and Photo editing are a no go on Atom processors. showing these on Ontario would have at least impressed me because I already know that their GPU's are excellent. What I want to know is the CPU performance.
    i think that they save the really impressive stuff (bobcat cpu cores) just in case intel decides to pull off a huge PR stunt or to create an even larger hype just before the launch of real products (at least i hope so)

impressive = bobcat cpu performance on par with current 45nm amd mobile chips / ghz, but i expect around 80-90%....
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by generics_user View Post
    i think that they save the really impressive stuff (bobcat cpu cores) just in case intel decides to pull off a huge PR stunt or to create an even larger hype just before the launch of real products (at least i hope so)

impressive = bobcat cpu performance on par with current 45nm amd mobile chips / ghz, but i expect around 80-90%....
    Possible but i doubt very much that the dual bobcat could do much against the Intel i5 that might be one of the main reasons they did not showcase the CPU power.

Now on launch day or whenever the next showcase is i very much think that they will bring in a low voltage i3 or a dual Atom to show off their CPU muscles.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Member
    Possible but i doubt very much that the dual bobcat could do much against the Intel i5 that might be one of the main reasons they did not showcase the CPU power.

Now on launch day or whenever the next showcase is i very much think that they will bring in a low voltage i3 or a dual Atom to show off their CPU muscles.
    Surely core i5 is more powerfull but both of these processors are in different leagues.

Even if Ontario's performance is equal to K8 that's enough to counter Atom.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu83 View Post
    Surely core i5 is more powerfull but both of these processors are in different leagues.

Even if Ontario's performance is equal to K8 that's enough to counter Atom.
    Yes but when they demoed the GPU part of the chip it was rated against the Intel i5 mobile and in terms of CPU power that chip will totally destroy dual bobcats. Now when faced with a dual i3 low voltage CPU or a dual Atom the situation will be reversed at least in the Atoms case.
    Coming Soon

I am Xtreme
    will the i5 be in the same tdp range? or is that for the i3?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    will the i5 be in the same tdp range? or is that for the i3?
    its only culv chips that are in the same range (18w)
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by duploxxx View Post
    its only culv chips that are in the same range (18w)
    but is that i5 or i3 CULV, or both

Xtreme Member
    Yes but when they demoed the GPU part of the chip it was rated against the Intel i5 mobile and in terms of CPU power that chip will totally destroy dual bobcats. Now when faced with a dual i3 low voltage CPU or a dual Atom the situation will be reversed at least in the Atoms case.
    That was probably to demonstrate "We have a small chip that outperforms our competitors much bigger one". I mean, comparing the graphics with the Atom would be just stupid since it wouldn't even give a hint of the performance.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112