Thread: **** 1 or 2 loops? Which would make more sense and be effecient, Info listed****

Exclamation **** 1 or 2 loops? Which would make more sense and be effecient, Info listed****

So what shall i do? I am going to be going with a whole new build etc and was wondering should i just run all this in a single loop? or should i just run 2 seperate loops? If in just 1 single loop will this pump be able to push thru all the parts listed or should i split it into 2 loops? I will order more parts once i can begin my project.I am running low FPI rads with mid range fans (GT's) Also , i have been running compression fittings for such a long time but i change things so often to where its a PITA with the comp fittings now :/ .. I would like to try using BARBS and this will be my first time using barbs, what size would you guys recommend? and what tubing size should i go for as well.

Parts:

1x CPU WB-EK
    1x Fullcover MB WB-EK
    2x GPU WB's-EK
    1x 175mm InH Res
    1x EK DCP 4.0 Pump
    2x 360 Rads

Example :

1 Loop- Res>Pump>CPU>Rad1>MB>GPU1>GPU2>Rad2>>Res

2 Loops-
    1. Res > Pump > CPU > Rad 1
    2. Res> Pump > MB > GPU1 > GPU2 > Rad 2
    Last edited by Aedubber; 09-11-2010 at 10:34 AM.
    HEATWARE
    x58-UD5 ▀▄ i7 950 4.0Ghz ▀▄ ZOTAC GTX 580 ▀▄ Mushkins 1600Mhz

Xtreme Member
    Hey buddy,

If you were going to buy two pumps I would run two in one single loop for redudancy, and put both rads before the CPU for the lowest possible cpu temps, it doesnt matter if the 460's run a bit hotter as they are designed to cope with 90c+ temps anyway. As well as redundency from two pumps in one loop you will also benefit from having twice the rad capacity cooling either the GPU's or CPU's when they are loaded individually. The benefits of a single loop far outweighs that of double loops if your prepared to buy another pump.
    I7 920 at 4.0ghz - EK Supreme HF
    P6T Deluxe V2 Mobo - EK Mosfet & EK NB/SB
    6gb Corsair 1600mhz RAM
    Zotac 470GTX - EK FC
    2x 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0

140mm External Rad Stands Available Here

Yes i mean i need to purchase parts so i will buy whats needed So what would you recommend me as far as a setup goes? Which pumps and im assuming i now would need a top to go with this as well correct?
    HEATWARE

I'll let others speak to the pump issue. With respect to one loop or two - there is a thread Gabe from Swiftech started a few months ago that compares the results for 1 vs 2 pumps. You might want to search for that and see if it helps.

The thing that caught my eye in your post was the comment that you're going back to barbs instead of compression fittings because you change things so much. I stick with compression fittings for just the same reason - find it's much easier to change out the loop than it is with barbs. Probably just personal preference.

Yes i do remember a thread about the pumps he made but that was such a long time ago... Well for me it just seems like with barbs all you have to do is just slide the tube over and thats it done . no twisting and turning etc..
    HEATWARE

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If you change out things so much you might want to look to Koolance quick disconnects NaeKuh used em in a sweet build when the Classified board came out its on here somewhere. And I believe skinnee uses em while testing. Personally I all most never change hardware so when a builds complete , 1-2 pieces maybe then it s a new build so.

here's the link to NaeKuh's build
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=220158
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Thanks Magis ! But i am really trying to figure out the best way to run this setup.. Seems like 1 loop will wok best but now how should i setup the loop parts wise? Thanks

EXAMPLE:

Res> Pump(s)> Rad 1> Rad 2> CPU > MB > GPU1> GPU2>> Res OR Res> Pump(s)> CPU > MB > GPU1> GPU2> Rad 1> Rad 2>> Res
    Last edited by Aedubber; 09-11-2010 at 02:20 PM.
    HEATWARE

Xtreme Member
    I think it has been proven conclusively on several occasions that loop order doesn't really matter. In the end there might be a 1-3 degree difference, but nothing worth thinking about.
    The main thing is that the loop makes sense for how you place things in your case, and then just stretch tubes around to the different components using the easiest route.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Based upon my research on water cooling, I would go dual loop with 1 360 for the CPU, and then 1 360 for the GPU Loop.
    Project Elegant Dreams
    CPU: Intel 980x (3005F803T) @ Stock , Mobo: Rampage III Extreme, Ram: 24GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 C9 1T 1.51v GPU: SLI EK'd Vanilla GTX580, 0.875v @ idle.
    Sound:Asus Xonar Xense w/Sennheiser PC350
    SSD: 2x OCZ Agility 3 120GB RAID-0 on ICH10 Storage: 2x1.5TB Hitachi 5K3000, 1.5TB WD Black, 1TB F3, various other HDD's Case: Obsidian 800D, PSU: Corsair AX1200,

Water Cooling
    Main Loop
    EK Supreme HF
    EK GTX480 blocks on EVGA 580s
    MCP355 and MCP35X in serial
    Dual BlackIce GTX480 Rads

Well the porblem is that there has been some testing showing that 1 loop can handle all this. Personally i was thinking about doing 2 seperate loops as well.. I have the space for it as well so
    HEATWARE

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    The problem with dual loops is (as Gabe's testing showed) that if your loops aren't very carefully balanced in heat load and flow-rate you get inefficiencies - one loop is (relatively speaking) under-loaded and one loop is (again relatively speaking) over-loaded. One might argue that this would give lower temps to the components that need it more (ie. CPU), which is true to a point, but WC loops with a heat-load under maximum dissipation capacity see very little temp gains once equilibrium has been achieved.

A large, single loop places every source of heat and every heat-dissipation surface within the one system, making it impossible to get uneven load, and therefore maximising efficiency, as well as being safer (redundant pumps) and easier to plumb. I'd go with two DDCs in a dual-DDC top to maximise space efficiency.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Quote Originally Posted by Aedubber View Post
    Yes i do remember a thread about the pumps he made but that was such a long time ago... Well for me it just seems like with barbs all you have to do is just slide the tube over and thats it done . no twisting and turning etc..
    Umm... no clamps?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Yes i would use clamps... But i think i just might stick with compression fittings since i have so many from my previous build as well lol
    HEATWARE

Xtreme Cruncher
    NO... you should switch and put them up in the FOR SALE section!@#

EDIT: for dirt cheap

EDIT EDIT: and only answrer PMs from Meanmoe!@
    upgrading...

Xtreme Guru
    Thanks Magis ! But i am really trying to figure out the best way to run this setup.. Seems like 1 loop will wok best but now how should i setup the loop parts wise? Thanks

EXAMPLE:

Res> Pump(s)> Rad 1> Rad 2> CPU > MB > GPU1> GPU2>> Res OR Res> Pump(s)> CPU > MB > GPU1> GPU2> Rad 1> Rad 2>> Res
    Loop doesnt really matter , just make sure the res is before the pump, cpu and pump only has inlet /outlets..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Mr Swiftech
    Wow how fast memories fade

Link to white paper: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...70&postcount=1
    CEO Swiftech

Well then , it shows 1 loop is better , but should I run the pump I have or ditch it and get a do a dual pump setup in 1 single loop ...
    HEATWARE

Xtreme Member
    Well then , it shows 1 loop is better , but should I run the pump I have or ditch it and get a do a dual pump setup in 1 single loop ...
    I think that if your pump is capable of pushing 1.5 GPM on your setup then a 2nd pump wouldn't give you anything.

Well the ek dcp 4.0 is rated for 800l per hour
    HEATWARE

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Wow how fast memories fade

Link to white paper: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...70&postcount=1
    Not so - I referred to this only a few posts above
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Yes I read the thread but didn't read it too clearly my mistake on that :/ and that was awesome data !! Just some of the things in the charts I disnt understand too well as I'm still a watercooling newb lol but moving onto my 3rd build
    !!
    HEATWARE

Technician
    In most situations 1 loop will be better. You generally load your pc between 50 and 70% of total and in a single loop you have 100% of the rads to cool it. That is my sole justification for running a single large loop and its working out great for me. Its also handy benching as if youre doing a gpu bench with cpu at idle (and vice versa) you end up with a net gain in rad (and cooling) compared to separate loops. Where you dont want a single loop is folding/wcg etc etc and hardcore benching.

As to loop order - the only way you can see gains is to create a large imbalance in the loop. Most of the time loop order matters little - a degree here or there. If you consider though what is in your loop and how sensitive it is to temperature you can intentionally create a larger than normal water delta across your loop. this will raise temps slightly at one end of the loop but lower them at the other. You can gain a noticeable few degrees on your cpu this way, but that heat does build up at the other end of the loop a little.. Example below.

Loop 1 - balanced (this is actually my loop). CPU gets coolest water in the loop anyway but the heat load is balanced. Its also a to bleed as the res is after the pump, but it made sense for tubing. Real world example so ive listed my full loop as is.

DCP 4.0 > Apogee XT > BP Zmulti 80mm Res > PA120.2 (front of case) > Foxconn MB > EK470+EK470 (parallel sli) > PA120.3 (external rear case).

Loop 2 - larger water temp delta. Water temp is not cooled at the midpoint in the loop, its allowed to build right the way through until it hits the rads. Fictional loop, so res in ideal placement before pump. The water will be hottest leaving the pump and coolest entering the cpu block.

Res > Pump > Rad > Rad > CPU > GPU+GPU > MB

Thanks Pilsy!
    HEATWARE