Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nokia wants to recapture smartphone segment...

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    Still vaporware afaik. It's been talked about a lot but still isn't available. Perfect example was the video chatting phone that the Saygus guys said that they were going to have on a major carrier later this year... that company hasn't said a PEEP since then.
    Had email the guy because i was really interested in buying the phone but since its shipping only i dont know if i should buy the phone. Anyway here is his email:

"Dear Ajai dev,

At this moment, you could buy xpphone from our company.

Our overseas target retail price:
    8008E XP: USD 800;
    8016E XP: USD 880.

Customs can be paid in your end.

Best wishes !

Erika Huo
    Overseas Marketing Manager

In Technology (GZ) Limited / In Technology Group Limited (ITG)
    Add: Rm702, 7th Floor, Yuehua Mansion, 19# Longkou East Road, Tianhe District, Guangzhou, China 510630
    Tel: +86-20-87516342/87599752/38900647 (Export Ext: 216, OP Ext: 0, Fax: 203)
    Mobile: +86-13631331920
    E-mail: erika@xpphone.com
    MSN: huobinbin@hotmail.com
    xpPhone: Recommended & Licensed electronic product by Hunan Xanadu of Expo 2010 Shanghai
    ITG: Electronic product sponsor by Hunan Xanadu of Expo 2010 Shanghai
    "

So this is infact not vapor ware but real hardware which can only be bought from the company because of some reason. Maybe did not pass the various tests for retail such as radiation test, etc.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Legend
    i hope they do well. i really want a nokia smart phone.............their phones have always been very well made it;s just the current packaging is a bit hit and miss
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Life's Replay
    Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    I agree on that one. "Ovi" doesn't explain anything, but "Nokia" is well known worldwide. I don't get it why they aren't using their name more for their own services.
    "Ovi" means "Door" in Finnish, so it does mean something. In fact, it's a rather good name, they just can't expect the rest of the world to know the meaning behind it.

With the upswing of HTML 5, one of Nokia's only selling points is going down the drain as well, flash support. The Communicator series was decent when the concept of a smartphone becoming a highly mobile laptop replacement was fresh, now they're falling hopelessly behind. Making references to Nokia's market share in the smartphone business is becoming more of an ode to their successful past than an indicator of their present and future situation. One of the only factors keeping their market share that high is that many corporations, especially smaller to medium size ones, are reluctant to switch platform due to the monetary costs and general effort required when Nokia models are "good enough". I'd say it has very little, if anything at all, to do with anything other than convenience right now.
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmatory View Post
    Symbian S60 8th edition.

They can't just improve the old OS and add new features because the whole OS isn't structured to support all the fancy stuff. It is full of quirks and strange stuff to make it look like it runs smooth so the codebase is quite bloated with useless crap which isn't necessarily related to the functionality or features. So the progress is slow. On the other hand, they CAN'T just write a new platform because they would most probably need to outsource the development to make it happen in less than 5 years, and by outsourcing they will end up having the same problem later on. Oh, and Qt sucks. Big time. It's too bloated even on x86.

So, they're stuck with their non-sufficient platform, AND hardware.
    symbian^4 its brand new and symbian^3 its hardcore the changes they made

and meego is pretty nice also.
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    Had email the guy because i was really interested in buying the phone but since its shipping only i dont know if i should buy the phone. Anyway here is his email:

"Dear Ajai dev,

At this moment, you could buy xpphone from our company.

Our overseas target retail price:
    8008E XP: USD 800;
    8016E XP: USD 880.

Customs can be paid in your end.

Best wishes !

Erika Huo
    Overseas Marketing Manager

In Technology (GZ) Limited / In Technology Group Limited (ITG)
    Add: Rm702, 7th Floor, Yuehua Mansion, 19# Longkou East Road, Tianhe District, Guangzhou, China 510630
    Tel: +86-20-87516342/87599752/38900647 (Export Ext: 216, OP Ext: 0, Fax: 203)
    Mobile: +86-13631331920
    E-mail: erika@xpphone.com
    MSN: huobinbin@hotmail.com
    xpPhone: Recommended & Licensed electronic product by Hunan Xanadu of Expo 2010 Shanghai
    ITG: Electronic product sponsor by Hunan Xanadu of Expo 2010 Shanghai
    "

So this is infact not vapor ware but real hardware which can only be bought from the company because of some reason. Maybe did not pass the various tests for retail such as radiation test, etc.
    The xpPhone is not vaporware, you are correct. We recently did an article about it... but up until recently it was. ON top of that, they want any reviewers to actually buy the device and pay in full for the sample.
    Last edited by Russian; 09-18-2010 at 05:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Cruncher
    N80 was my last Nokia phone, their quality has gone down to drain.
    Sadly I just want to see Nokia to be number one but it looks so hard to achieve now.

http://mato78.com - Finnish PC Hardware news & reviews
    BulldogPO @ Twitter

Banned
    I liked the N900..

Xtreme Enthusiast

I am Xtreme
    highest is 800, lowest is 711, is that a big spread?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    highest is 800, lowest is 711, is that a big spread?
    I think dead last speaks for itself.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by -Sweeper_ View Post
    I liked the N900..
    I have one, like it very much on account its like having a netbook, and it does multitasking extremely well.

But the software is too demanding for the hardware which requires a processor a little faster. Improving on the N900 making it slimmer and faster among other things, would make a great phone. Maemo is a nice software and Maego should be even nicer I guess.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Periander6 View Post
    I think dead last speaks for itself.
    or it could mean they are all so close that it dosnt matter

the scale is very important. just cause they are not the best does not mean its horrible.

Xtreme Cruncher
    and apple users are sheep, antenna is no working in Iphone 4g don't worry our lord Steve Jobs gave us bumper cases....
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] leviathan18 View Post
    and apple users are sheep, antenna is no working in Iphone 4g don't worry our lord Steve Jobs gave us bumper cases....
    I'd say, that they are much more likely to not be tech savvy and seem to be lacking friends who are tech savvy
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123