Thread: Sapphire 5850: Native DisplayPort (No Adapter) + Startup = No Post

SOLVED!!!! Sapphire 5850: Native DisplayPort (No Adapter) + Startup = No Post

All:

Background:
    I need to tap the ATI gods here at Xtreme Systems for some help. Last week I bought (3) Dell UltraSharp U2311H Monitors. These have native Displayport, DVI, VGA.

The Video Card I have is an ATI Sapphire 5850 1GB Game Edition. To setup Eyefinity I have connected two of the monitors to DVI and the 3rd monitor to DisplayPort using a DisplayPort Cable (No active adapters since this is DisplayPort to DisplayPort).

Problem:
    When the DisplayPort monitor is plugged in nothing posts. The video card fan goes to 100% and video card never enables a monitor, the system looks to be starting as if the process goes far enough since I get a "Windows Boot Normal?" message on the next successful boot.

What have I tried?
    1. Emailing Sapphire Tech, response about lowering Fan speeds in CCC (obviously not going to work), ticket still open
    2. Updated GPU Sapphire BIOS, no change (Tech Powerup Versions)
    3. Updated to GPU MSI BIOS, no change (Tech Powerup Versions)
    4. Updated to GPU ATI BIOS, no change (Tech Powerup Versions)
    5. Updated Motherboard BIOS, no change
    6. Played with PCIE Timings (100Mhz to Auto), no change

Any suggestions on what I could do now?

I seem to be at a loss for more ideas on this since a DisplayPort Monitor should work right out of the box with a straight cord, or at least one would assume.

Big Thanks for Helping!
    -Magik
    Last edited by magikempire; 09-16-2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Solved the issue listed in initial message.
    Magik Empire

Intel Q9650 @ 3.99 Ghz
    OCZ Reaper 8GB (2GBx4)
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P V1.0
    Intel 1Gb NIC
    Sapphire 5850 @ 830x1240
    CoolerMaster CPU Cooler
    Enermax 600W SLI PSU
    Lite-On SATA DVD+/-RW
    RAID0 Hitachi 2x250GB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Try booting with just 1 monitor (not the 1 with Dp) then connect the other 2. If you get 3 monitors working (or even 2) then arrange as a group and make a profile, save profile.

Update:

After great troubleshooting of the Monitor and Video Card it turned out to be the DisplayPort Cable!

I purchased a $50 cable from Staples and then a $7 from Monoprice. Both cables had the same issues on boot, no display output. I looked through everything I could find on Google and found some Mac users having the same issues and their cables were cheap and non-complaint.

What Fixed this?
    I ordered a 10-ft. $20 cable from Circuit Assembly and the monitor now works great, startups are problem free and everything works as it should. Pretty nice cable too for a few more bucks than Monoprice. I am not sure if this monitor only supports the 1.2 DisplayPort standard (weak specs on Dell website).

Anyways, I wanted to pass this on incase anyone else has similar issues.
    Magik Empire

Intel Q9650 @ 3.99 Ghz
    OCZ Reaper 8GB (2GBx4)
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P V1.0
    Intel 1Gb NIC
    Sapphire 5850 @ 830x1240
    CoolerMaster CPU Cooler
    Enermax 600W SLI PSU
    Lite-On SATA DVD+/-RW
    RAID0 Hitachi 2x250GB

That's curious. The Dell DP monitor I've been using with a Monoprice cable does POST with video just fine. Which cable did you choose?
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

I HAVE THIS SAME EXACT PROBLEM. I can't believe I found someone else too. It happened with my old 5970 and sometimes with my current 5970. I ordered 2 cables from monoprice but it still happens. I have noticed 2 things, if u boot with the dp cable theres no display and fan hits 100%. if u completely unplug the power then replug it boots normally 90% of the time. Btw I'm using a dell u2311h

-Can you link the cable you bought?

I'll have to wait until I get home if you're talking to me. It might be worth mentioning my monitor model. I've seen particular models of monitors have bizarre issues with one type of connector before. It's a Dell Ultrasharp 2408FPW.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Noob Overclocker
    Seems to be an issue with Dell monitors - I get a similar problem with my u2711 and an HD5870, using DP.
    When i start up the keyboard/mouse lights up, and the monitor goes into 'active' mode without any display and stays there for ages, not going into 'standby' mode.
    Mines watercooled so dont hear the fan, but if I unplug the monitor power and plug it back in, the display comes on and its fine.
    Wierd.
    Zombie Killer Corsair 700D with Quad Rad mod+240 rad mod/Asus Maximus III Formula/i5 750 @ 4Ghz/8GB GSkill Trident/HIS HD 6990/Dell u2711/120GB Kingston SSD Now!/All under EK watercooling goodness!
    HTPC Lian Li V354B/i5 750/4GB Corsair/MSI HD5770/60GB GSkill Phoenix/Corsair H50/EVGA P55 Micro SLi

Hey there, I've encountered the exact same problem as TS. Just bought 3 dell u2311h and have problem with the displayport cable. I'm currently using this http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.37595? . May I know what the difference between that and http://estore.circuitassembly.com/pr...olyBraid.html? Does the U2311h only support v1.2 displayport cable? Thanks alot
    Last edited by lergenton; 10-04-2010 at 04:39 PM.