Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Step - Core i3, i5, and i7 Overclocking Guides (now includes Sandy Bridge)

World Champion - IRONMODS

3 Step - Core i3, i5, and i7 Overclocking Guides (now includes Sandy Bridge)

Hello XtremeSystems

I've looked around the web, and all of the mainstream sites have overclocking guides of some sort, but they're a bit too tame for an user who REALLY wants to learn how to push their system the XS way

I've spent a lot of time over the last few months writing, revising, and attempting to perfect overclocking guides for the latest generations of Intel CPUs. Many of you may have seen the previous revision posted at overclockers.com. But I really wanted to take that guide to the next level. These guides are not OCing templates....those are already plentiful, but have very limited effectiveness.
    I've seen way too much "give me the settings" type of trial-and-error overclocking going on. If you are serious about pushing your system, a methodical approach is the fastest, and most effective way to do so.

I felt the best way to start was with an introduction comparing the different choices for LGA1156 and LGA1366 platofrms, and it turned into a buyers guide. It should be a good reasource for power users looking for a recommendation on which series to purchase.
    Intel Core i3 i5 and i7 Buyers Guide

I broke the overclocking portion of the guide down into three parts, so that I could tailor each section to the specific audiences's needs. I ended up with three very thorough overclocking guides that avoid the fluff, and focus on the good stuff.

3 Step Overclocking Guide - Gulftown and Bloomfield

3 Step Overclocking Guide - Lynnfield

3 Step Overclocking Guide - Clarkdale

3 Step Overclocking Guide - Sandy Bridge

As you work through the guides, take your time and do it right. If you run into problems, take note of where you are at in the process. Take a screenshot of the problem if possible. Start a new thread with the attached screenshot and all of the relevent system information. And we will do our best to help you achieve a good solid, hardcore overclock

Any comments and criticizms are very welcome. Although I have striven for perfection, I know these guides are still far from it.

If anyone is interested in following my work, please do so here, thanks
    Last edited by miahallen; 01-04-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: fixed title
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member
    great reads ... maybe I will go back and play with my 920 a little more
    Intel I7 920 @ 4.3 // ASUS Rampage III Extreme// 3x2GB Mushkin// Antec TPQ 1200w // Water Cooled

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    What? No "Overclocking dual westmere's on the SR2"?
    For shame...For shame....
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Tyler Durden
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    What? No "Overclocking dual westmere's on the SR2"?
    For shame...For shame....
    I agree...totally unacceptable.
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

Lol
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Addict
    haha !

great guide ! Good job
    BTTB - Gigabyte Z87X-OC - WCed I7 4770k - 2x8gb Ballistix 1600mhz - Zotac GTX 780
    Asus Xonar Pheobus - OS -> Toshiba Q 256gb - Games -> 2x Agility 4 256gb Raid0
    Corsair HX850 - Tecnofront HWD BenchTable - Asus VE278Q 5760x1080

Serveur - Asus Z77m PRO - 2500K - NH-C12P - 4x4gb G.Skill Ares 1600mhz
    Agility 4 128gb - Corsair CX430M - 1TB Black - 2TB green - 2TB Red

KatPat - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 - FX-8320 - PH-TC14CS - 2x4gb Viper 1600mhz - GTS 450
    Samsung Evo 120gb - Corsair HX750 - Bitfenix Survivor White - Asus VE247H

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY View Post
    I agree...totally unacceptable.
    Been thinking, I could probably write up a decent one myself..
    I think I have more experience with it than anyone except Peter and I haven't broken mine..yet..
    Sucker has been at 100% load since Mid March and not one hiccup..
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Hamster Powered
    Excellent writeup. It must have taken a lot of time and hard work to compile such detailed information on multiple platforms, thank you. I downloaded and printed it to try my hand at pushing my i7 920 D0 rig farther. I have gotten a lot of good help and information @ XS (as always) and this is the most detailed "How To Steps" that I have seen anywhere.

P.S. I was using your writeup from Overclockers.com
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtreme Mentor
    First, this should be stickied. Second, awesome writeup, somewhat simple for the buyers guide, but I like the straight forward recommendations, K.I.S.S. is always good in a guide. Thank you for the time and effort, this couldn't have come at a better time as I am debating on downgrading my system and the buying guide helped a lot.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    sticky this for sure, it will help so many people and it is written very well, excellent work miahallen
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    gskillllin it!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I basically have two problems with OCing guides. One, some try to make it sound too simple, and in reality every chip responds differently to OCing, so the rules of thumb can feel as if you're using nothing but your thumbs. Two, most of them are written for extreme OCing. Give me a break with this crap. Whatever happened to merely trying to avoid a bottleneck and actually stopping at that point vs trying to get as much as you can out of a chip? A max OC only stresses the CPU unnecessarily if you only want to game on it.

The more OCing guides I read, the less I want to bother with it, especially on a 1366 i7 chip. In reality the only slight bottleneck you're going to get is a fairly small percentage of frames on the more optimized games, so you never see the extra frames because you're still WAY above 60 FPS even with that bottleneck. On high resource games the FPS are nearly the same without an OC because those games are so GPU dependent the CPU doesn't factor in as much.

Bottom line, whether OCing for benchmarks, bottlenecks or bragging rights, it still boils down to something that isn't really necessary for most games.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 09-07-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    Quote Originally Posted by Frag Maniac View Post
    I basically have two problems with OCing guides. One, some try to make it sound too simple, and in reality every chip responds differently to OCing, so the rules of thumb can feel as if you're using nothing but your thumbs. Two, most of them are written for extreme OCing. Give me a break with this crap. Whatever happened to merely trying to avoid a bottleneck and actually stopping at that point vs trying to get as much as you can out of a chip? A max OC only stresses the CPU unnecessarily if you only want to game on it.

The more OCing guides I read, the less I want to bother with it, especially on a 1366 i7 chip. In reality the only slight bottleneck you're going to get is a fairly small percentage of frames on the more optimized games, so you never see the extra frames because you're still WAY above 60 FPS even with that bottleneck. On high resource games the FPS are nearly the same without an OC because those games are so GPU dependent the CPU doesn't factor in as much.

Bottom line, whether OCing for benchmarks, bottlenecks or bragging rights, it still boils down to something that isn't really necessary for most games.
    well because this is xtreme systems
    gskillllin it!

Thanks for the props guys

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    Thanks for the props guys

very leet
    gskillllin it!

Great Job m8, i've been looking for this guide so far!!!

Excellent

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Thread stuck..

Thanks Dave

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme n00berclocker
    Finally Dave did something usefull around here
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6
    damn you guys...am i in a three way and didn't know it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian y.
    Im exclusively benching ECS from this point forward

Xtreme Member
    Fantastic been looking for one like this for ages esp with the gulftown included
    GA-X58A-UD3R
    980x with apogee XT WB
    Xonar D2X
    Corsair Dominator 1600C7 12 Gig
    enermax Galaxy 1000w
    EVGA 580GTX
    OCZ V2E 120 + 2x1T F1's
    P.A 120.3 rad
    EP-Uk lian li G70 case

Champion
    Nice knowledge for all, Thanks for sharing Miahallen
    Sorry For My English
    OverclockZone Team
    THAILAND

Thanks ZoLKoRn

If anyone is interested in following my work, please do so here, thanks

Heat Team IRONMODS

Admin
    I read this guide a couple of wks ago and found it very informative. It's a very structured and straight forward plan. If you don't have a plan like this you'll be running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Nice job Miah
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Thanks Ron

Heat Team IRONMODS

Bump for Sandy Bridge

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Guru
    oh wow mia, Bookmarked for reference <3

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast