Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 Step - Core i3, i5, and i7 Overclocking Guides (now includes Sandy Bridge)

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    Bump for Sandy Bridge
    Very nice, thanks!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Awesome...thanks Bookmarked and printed for use in the next couple weeks.
    24/7 Cruncher #1
    Crosshair VII Hero, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO, 4x8GB GSKILL 3600MHz C15, ASUS TUF 3090 OC
    Samsung 980 1TB NVMe, Samsung 870 QVO 1TB, 2x10TB WD Red RAID1, Win 10 Pro, Enthoo Luxe TG, EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2

24/7 Cruncher #2
    ASRock X470 Taichi, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer 280 AIO, 2x16GB GSKILL NEO 3600MHz C16, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
    Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe, Samsung 870 EVO 500GBWin 10 Ent, Enthoo Pro, Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850W

24/7 Cruncher #3
    GA-P67A-UD4-B3 BIOS F8 mod, 2600k (L051B138) @ 4.5 GHz, 1.260v full load, Arctic Liquid 120, (Boots Win @ 5.6 GHz per Massman binning)
    Samsung Green 4x4GB @2133 C10, EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Hybrid, Samsung 870 EVO 500GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Rosewill Rise, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2

24/7 Cruncher #4 ... Crucial M225 64GB SSD Donated to Endurance Testing (Died at 968 TB of writes...no that is not a typo!)
    GA-EP45T-UD3LR BIOS F10 modded, Q6600 G0 VID 1.212 (L731B536), 3.6 GHz 9x400 @ 1.312v full load, Zerotherm Zen FZ120
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR3-1600MHz C7, Gigabyte 7950 @1200/1250, Crucial MX100 128GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Centurion 590, XFX PRO650W

Music System
    SB Server->SB Touch w/Android Tablet as a remote->Denon AVR-X3300W->JBL Studio Series Floorstanding Speakers, JBL LS Center, 2x SVS SB-2000 Subs

Xtreme Member
    @MIA

Don't u need to change the Vcc_IO for the memory instead of the Vvc_SA?
    i7 2600K Batch L039B470.
    Asus Maximus IV-Gene-Z
    Single Stage
    RipJawsX 4gb 2133 7-9-7-27-1T
    H2O 6970

World Champion - IRONMODS
    In my testing with the MIVE no, VccSA made a consistent and necessary improvement, VccIO didn't change a thing....but I'm starting to wonder about my UD7; more testing is needed
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Bloomfield VTT

Okay, so I've been running i7 920 and Corsair Dominator GT 1866 C7 (3x2gb) for over 1.5 years on VTT 1.475v for my 24/7 setup. Anything less, and the ram is not stable. So far no problems. I was under the impression that 1.4v to 1.6v VTT was needed to run high-spec'd memory of its time.

I've been out of the loop, but is it considered 'safe' for 24/7?

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemina View Post
    Okay, so I've been running i7 920 and Corsair Dominator GT 1866 C7 (3x2gb) for over 1.5 years on VTT 1.475v for my 24/7 setup. Anything less, and the ram is not stable. So far no problems. I was under the impression that 1.4v to 1.6v VTT was needed to run high-spec'd memory of its time.

I've been out of the loop, but is it considered 'safe' for 24/7?
    Way to much vtt, You should need that much vtt, try running a way lower uncore and try 1.4, Also whats your Qpi pll ?

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Way to much vtt, You should need that much vtt, try running a way lower uncore and try 1.4, Also whats your Qpi pll ?
    AFAIK, my mobo (Asus p6t deluxe v2) bios doesn't have qpi pll. It has cpu pll, that's about it.

Interestingly, I followed the guide and disabled the power features, and I managed to lower VTT to 1.462v thus far. It passed some quick tests on IntelBurnTest and Prime95 and stable thus far, but needs more testing. I'll have to play around with it more when I have time. I'm not asking for much, but I'll be ecstatic with 1.45v.

Xtreme Guru
    Run your uncore only 2x, dont worry about trippling it yet as it will require high VTT, leaving it 2x should allow you to lower your vtt to atleast 1.4.. Dont forget to set timings manually and leave QPI link auto that's if you have it on your mobo.. How high do you want your cpu to run @ ?

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemina View Post
    AFAIK, my mobo (Asus p6t deluxe v2) bios doesn't have qpi pll. It has cpu pll, that's about it.

Interestingly, I followed the guide and disabled the power features, and I managed to lower VTT to 1.462v thus far. It passed some quick tests on IntelBurnTest and Prime95 and stable thus far, but needs more testing. I'll have to play around with it more when I have time. I'm not asking for much, but I'll be ecstatic with 1.45v.
    What bclock are you working with? Also, what's your CPU freq & CPU voltage at?
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Props for this!
    ===================
    Intel E7500 @ 3.6, 1.28v
    Cooler Master HAF 932
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
    Super Talent 64GB SSD (OS)
    Samsung 2TB Hard Drive (Storage)
    EVGA GTS-250 Video Card
    Mushkin 650w Modular PSU
    MassCool CPU Cooler
    Dell 24" Ultrasharp Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Bullu$ View Post
    @MIA

Don't u need to change the Vcc_IO for the memory instead of the Vvc_SA?
    Exactly.
    This OC guide is a complete bull. Testing with IBT is no good, by my experience Prime95 requires even 0.05V more to run, and IBT 20x stable is nowhere near 24/7 stability, Prime on the other hand is, even if only 10min stable, max what you need is 1 notch up (+0.005V) to be completely stable.

So my post alone is a better OC guide, really, for 4.8GHz overclock all I needed to change on my P8P67 was set the right offset value for Vcore. With Prime, you should find this within 1 hour, then test overnight to be completely sure.
    i5 2500K | Noctua NH-D14 | ASUS P8P67 PRO 1204 | G.Skill Pi 1600 CL6 4GB
    OCZ Agility 60GB | WD5000AAKX | HD502HJ | NEC 7260S | G5 (2007) | Lenovo L220X
    Gigabyte GTX460 1GB 840/2200 | ASUS Xonar D2X | Sennheiser HD 555 | Corsair 600T | Corsair TX850 V2

The_MAN_eta
    Quote Originally Posted by Planet View Post
    Finally Dave did something usefull around here
    That one made me laugh!

Great guide, i was having some inside thoughs about some configs and u answered them in the guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr1mR34p3r View Post
    Exactly.
    This OC guide is a complete bull. Testing with IBT is no good, by my experience Prime95 requires even 0.05V more to run, and IBT 20x stable is nowhere near 24/7 stability, Prime on the other hand is, even if only 10min stable, max what you need is 1 notch up (+0.005V) to be completely stable.

So my post alone is a better OC guide, really, for 4.8GHz overclock all I needed to change on my P8P67 was set the right offset value for Vcore. With Prime, you should find this within 1 hour, then test overnight to be completely sure.
    Before you go bustin on the guides, maybe you should read them

Quote Originally Posted by From the "Methodology" section on page 1
    Determining methods for finding a stable overclock are highly controversial, everyone has their own definition of a stable system, but when I refer to “stable” in this guide, I am referring to the stability of your selected “stability test.” So for a power user or gamer who wants a reliable system that won’t ever crash due to an overclock pushed too far, you’d need to test with a program that will load all of the cores and threads applicable to your CPU, OCCT and IntelBurnTest are two popular choices. OCCT uses the same algorithm as Prime95 but has a friendlier interface. IntelBurnTest uses the Intel linpack binaries to stress the system and also has an easy to use interface. In this guide I may use testing that is insufficient in your opinion. It is only a guideline and if you feel more testing is necessary for your system, by all means feel free.
    Quote Originally Posted by maneta View Post
    Great guide, i was having some inside thoughs about some configs and u answered them in the guides.
    Thanks

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member
    Thank you for putting together such nice guides.
    /_/_/_ | Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz | Swiftech Apogee GTZ | Gigabyte EX58-UD5 | CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1600 | 2 x ATI 4850 Crossfire Enabled | WD Velociraptor 300GB | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Corsair HX1000W | Antec P182 | _\_\_\

It's very helpful, thanks

awesome work thanks

Xtreme Member
    Prime95 gave me similar results to IBT, so saying the whole guide is BS is rash to say the least, Gr1mR34p3r. Got an easy 4.6GHz@1.355v with temps in the 70s at load with my 2600K and Z68 thanks to this guide and running beyond stable. People are pushing their voltages and temps higher, but the guidelines for keeping a cool and quiet PC [and a non-fried CPU] are much appreciated!

Thanks for the feedback guys, glad I could help out

Heat Team IRONMODS

Miahellen -

Great work on the guides. If there's ever an Asus or Gigabyte board you need bios screen-shots of, let me know and I will get them to you. I know it can be tricky sometimes to explain the disconnect between different board settings and terminology. Big fan of your work though, keep it up!
    ///Adrian - Geekbox.com

Thanks man

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Addict
    Thank you for the Sandy Bridge addition. Will save me a lot of time, research, and questions being the first time I have built a Intel system in over 10 years.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

I will check that guide later .. this is what i now tested

5.2Ghz
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2541434

5.3Ghz
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2541887

Santas
    great info

Xtreme Member
    Fantastic Guide! Went from Core2 to Phenom II back to Core2 and now to a 920 D0 this week so it really helps
    If I forget to say it, Thank You

As of 9-12-2013: Core i7 920 D0 / EVGA X58 SLI / Corsair Dominator 3x4G 2000MHz CL9 / GTX 460 1GB / HX750 / CoolerMaster Hyper N520 / Acer 23" 1080p TV
    To Be DICE'd: GA-EP45-UD3R F12, 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC, Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7500/E7400's/Pentium Ds/Celeron Ds/Pentium4s under a man-made CopperPot (w/ manuf. Copper NB pot)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12