Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: New Monsoon Modular Reservoir System

Wow, it looks fantastic.

Astounding work, congratuations to all involved.

I just need to get my grubby mitts on one.

G

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gandlers View Post
    Wow, it looks fantastic.

Astounding work, congratuations to all involved.

I just need to get my grubby mitts on one.

G
    I already claimed dibs....lol

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    Selling parts separate & ability to mix & mach = imho very good news, for both customers and sellers.
    Imho it won't lessen sales - as though theoretically more can be sold if for upgrade one needs to buy again full set, it should be offset by fact that lot of users would probably decide to live with whatever they already have if they weren't offered choice to buy/change/upgrade just part, so most of them wouldn't be buying 2nd of different type anyway. More universal parts can lessen upkeep costs for unsold inventory of less popular models on shelves storage cost aswell.
    Unfortunately resellers do not always see it like that. They see lots of SKU's and inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
    How far into the case does that pump cover go i.e. for a rad box case designer, how much room should be provided for these?
    The pump cover is optional as in you don't HAVE to use it because there are low profile motor mounting rings that save about 3/8" to 1/2" because they do not extend beyond the motor like the full cover does.

Quote Originally Posted by meanmoe View Post
    Boxgods,

The pics are pretty... and love the plan for modularity... but WHEN?!

EDIT: nevermind the when, I see 3 weeks... (I was distracted by the bling)
    Just so your not mad later, that two to three weeks is for the single and dual bay non pumped parts, and the dual bay D5 version. The other parts in the MMRS will come out 2 or 3 each month over the next 6 months or so.

Xtreme Addict
    What are these two dimensions?

Sorry for the delay...I blame Civ V and that dammed cultural victory!

The 112.8mm dimension is an approximate location of the end of the D5 motor for those who will not be using the full coverage mount. As a disclaimer all dims are +/- a few mm as I did this in a hurry so don't build a $5k custom case based on those dims to a mouse whisker please.
    Last edited by BoxGods; 11-12-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Somebody had asked earlier if the dual bay D5 pumped reservoir would have a cap or pump area plug available so it could be used as just a reservoir offering an upgrade path (buy it now instead of the dual bay non pumped part and then be able to use it as a pumped reservoir on a future build) and if so what the cap looked like.

I said I would post a render or screen cap then completely forgot till I was doing the instructions for it--sorry

Anyway yes there is a cap that will be sold separately and the image bellow gives you an idea of what it looks like. Not shown is the knurling on the mounting ring as Solidworks chokes to death when displaying knurling. Installation is very straight forward--place the pump O ring, set the cap in place, thread on the mounting ring, hand tighten.

No it will NOT be included as standard with any of the D5 reservoir kits simply because the vast number of users would not use it and it is not really fair to have that extra cost for them. Any of the resellers that are carrying the Monsoon Modular Reservoir System (MMRS) parts ala carte will offer the cap as a stand alone part however. I will save you the post, no I have no idea on the price, but it should be under $10 I would imagine. Certainly cheaper then buying a whole new reservoir on your next build!

Again, sorry I forgot to post this sooner.
    Last edited by BoxGods; 11-13-2010 at 10:20 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    How far into the case does that res and pump cover go i.e. for a rad box case designer, how much room should be provided for these?
    Darth Bevis is building a rad box using a few of these and has had early access, you might get with him if you have any questions. Not sure if you build them for resale or not, but if you were adding a pair of them I might be able to do a custom single part face plate that covered both reservoirs and fit your design's style. Alternatively, the dual D5 five bay has a nicer sized face plate and can easily be modded to be a water feature. Food for thought.

Hang in there DB!

In case you missed it earlier in this thread:

Xtreme Member
    Man I love the effort that you have put into all these New Reservoirs BG.

I hope Xmas comes Early as in being out before Xmas I need a Res and I love the way these look.
    Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 @ 4.0 MHz
    3x2 Gigs of Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600
    Swiftech Apogee XT
    Bitspower Black Freezer AIX58NSE
    EK Mosfets
    XFX 5970
    Westy 42" Monitor
    Silver Stone ST 1500 Watt PSU
    Corsair 800 D Case
    2x 74 gig Raptors Sata 0Raid

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto450 View Post
    Man I love the effort that you have put into all these New Reservoirs BG.

I hope Xmas comes Early as in being out before Xmas I need a Res and I love the way these look.
    Thanks! I hope so too lol. The whole ala carte thing is very important to me but even I am starting to see that it will be quite a logistical nightmare. Have to come up with some sort of ID system for all the parts that everyone can agree on and understand, a way to package all those assembled kits and individual parts in as few box sizes as possible, and then some sort of manufacturers web page that explores how all the parts can be swapped in and out. I had this fancy web site with some sort of flash that allowed users to build different combination's virtually pictured in my head but of course that is too expensive. Looks like guys in the forums answering questions will be about the sum of the "how to" stuff for a while at least.

Love the red and black 5 bay res... drool..... Would look nice in the red/black build I am doing. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Oh and darn you for teasing us.

Xtreme Addict
    A quick update: Still on schedule for the end of the month or the first week of December. Another new product line has been causing me some headaches but will not affect the MMRS launch.

Sorry to hear about the problems. Looking forward to seeing these in action.

Xtreme Addict
    Update: FINALLY got the red and blue face plate O rings in today and I think for users opting for the clear acrylic face plates very much worth the extra TTE (Time Trouble and Expense) as they look excellent and will make several face plate options for users. Will post some pics when I can.

Xtreme Member
    I can't wait for the final products. It sounds like they are going to look real good.
    Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 @ 4.0 MHz
    3x2 Gigs of Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600
    Swiftech Apogee XT
    Bitspower Black Freezer AIX58NSE
    EK Mosfets
    XFX 5970
    Westy 42" Monitor
    Silver Stone ST 1500 Watt PSU
    Corsair 800 D Case
    2x 74 gig Raptors Sata 0Raid

How dare you come in here and wave new goodies in front of us and not have pics ready to back it up! That's just mean spirited .

So the faceplate your talking about is a full clear front instead of the oval front pictured in the rendered versions?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyranie909 View Post
    How dare you come in here and wave new goodies in front of us and not have pics ready to back it up! That's just mean spirited .

So the faceplate your talking about is a full clear front instead of the oval front pictured in the rendered versions?
    There are several types or "trim levels" on the kits. The economy (my term not sure what they will call it) comes with a standard 6mm ( .25") laser cut acrylic face plate in place of the more involved/expensive machined aluminum and beveled acrylic window "premium" version. I guess those will also be popular with people using Acrylic cases also so not just for budget buyers.

At any rate, for those opting for the simple laser cut acrylic face plate the colored O rings will offer the option to either match or contrast the body colors. Black body with a red or blue O ring for example.

As for no pictures...sorry but I don't have all the needed parts for a decent picture yet. I will post some as soon as I can lol. I was not trying to be a tease, just making a concerted effort to keep everyone updated since we went a little past our original release date. Can only post "still looking good for 1st or 2nd week of December" so many times

Sounds good. I just like giving you a little grief . No reason to rush it as I would much rather someone put out a quality product I can use for a few years than get something I can smash after 1 month. Everything has looked good so far and I know we all appreciate the updates.

Xtreme Member
    It looks like all of these new bay res are for single pump/(single/parallel) or dual pump/(parallel only) configurations. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Are there any res options for dual D5 pumps (in series) for a single loop? I have seen suggestions for hose loops etc., but is there anything purpose-built?

Thanks,
    -sf
    Main Box - "Unholy"
    ASUS Maximus IV Extreme (2001)
    Intel Core i7-2600k@ 4.8Ghz (1.375v)
    2x EVGA GeForce GTX 580 @ stock
    4x 4GB G.SKILL F3-12800CL7Q-16GBXH @ 7-8-7-24 2T
    2x OCZ Vertex3 240GB Raid0

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sfxs View Post
    It looks like all of these new bay res are for single pump/(single/parallel) or dual pump/(parallel only) configurations. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Are there any res options for dual D5 pumps (in series) for a single loop? I have seen suggestions for hose loops etc., but is there anything purpose-built?

Thanks,
    -sf
    I was wondering about that myself and looking for some time now,think one of the Koolance reps. was mentioning a new product coming soon

Xtreme Addict
    Danger Den may produce a dual D5 in series (I have several designs already done and tested) but Koolance may get this one all to themselves (unless some other company buys the design/s) as parallel generally out performs series in our real world usage scenarios. I am sure some would disagree as some always do, but the performance numbers are easy enough to verify and obviously manufactures know sales will track with the performance data meaning it costs the same to develop and manufacture both types but one will greatly outsell the other. I would be a little surprised if they DID produce a dual pump in series as it very likely would not sell very well--they DID release their dual D5 in parallel design first for a reason. On top of the performance there is the redundancy group who buy a dual pump set up more for the built in redundancy in the event of a pump failure they they do for a boost in performance--they are a bigger segment of the market then you would think. Forcing water through a dead pump is as big of a performance killer as you would imagine while parallel will usually work more like a bypass on the dead pump.

At any rate I am pretty sure DD will focus on all the other designs already in the pipe and get those out before they even consider any dual in series designs.
    Last edited by BoxGods; 11-25-2010 at 06:57 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Gabe from Swiftech put out Some serious data regarding Dual loops/parallel VS single series pumps in loops Here It certainly changed my mind on Multiple loops vs singles .

The best of both worlds would be a Dual pump/Flow chamber with optional divider. 2 pumps Flow chamber between that both feed into with 2 outlets, then you could have both pumps feeding single or both outlets or insert a divider to make it 2 separate loops. Technically its parallel flow but I'd love to see it. It pretty much give redundancy and or increase flow depending on demand and configuration.
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Banned
    @BoxGods.." Forcing water through a dead pump is as big of a performance killer "it doesn't have to be (removable second pump blocker- Koolance *Dual D-5* RP-450X2 is perfect example ) and would love to see a product that would save space,money and increase redundancy, beside peace of mind.
    Always have been single loop fan and i would buy something like that in a heartbeat
    Last edited by coolhandluke41; 11-25-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah I read that single vs. dual post by gabe, and I can agree with the results. However, I can accept even a 4c rise in temperature for the security that my electrical components won't boil water and cause extreme failure should a single pump die.

I replaced a single WD20 that was having bearing issues with two mcp655b's for that exact reason (they are smaller too ).

-sf
    Main Box - "Unholy"
    ASUS Maximus IV Extreme (2001)
    Intel Core i7-2600k@ 4.8Ghz (1.375v)
    2x EVGA GeForce GTX 580 @ stock
    4x 4GB G.SKILL F3-12800CL7Q-16GBXH @ 7-8-7-24 2T
    2x OCZ Vertex3 240GB Raid0

Banned
    for most users running good single pump (CPU+SLI/CF) is all you need ,but whats wrong with two on (2) speed-less heat dump/noise and if one decides to take a " brake" just stick pump blocker crank the other one to (5) and wait for the new one to arrive

Xtreme Addict
    Again, there will be individual situations and users who would like the dual in series for whatever reason, but when the vast majority of a relatively small market will buy based on real world performance numbers and parallel is clearly viewed as the better choice there is not a lot of motivation for manufactures. It costs a lot to develop, test, and manufacture a product.

The Monsoon dual D5 also has a removable pump cover if you only want to run one pump, but that was not really the point when discussing redundancy. In mission critical situations, be it some sort of server or just an out of town LAN, when one pump dies in a dual in series setup one pump is still working, but it is now trying to drive water through a dead pump that may have seized etc. so your getting a lot less flow then you would with just one pump. Yes you can turn the machine off, drain it, remove the dead pump, install the "pump blocker", and refill the loop...assuming it is not the middle of the night and your actually there with the pump blocker and all the tools handy...

The reason parallel is better is that when a pump dies flow is shunted around the dead pump without any intervention from the user and you get all the flow the single pump can normally deliver. I have actually driven 10 hours to Quake Con and had a pump die on the very first day on a 10K build--not EXACTLY mission critical I know but it DOES suck lol. I will go as far as admitting that before that event I sort of thought the redundant pump people were just being a little paranoid. Now it seems like cheap insurance that provides bonus performance for all the time it isn't saving your bacon.

As for a user selectable switching method that allows the user to switch between series or parallel, it is really one of those ideas that sounds good on paper but not so much in practical use. It IS very doable from a design perspective but the reality is that even if it is a bullet proof design that only adds 10 or 15 percent to manufacturing costs you WILL have a few users who manage to forget an O ring or something that causes a leak, and you will end up with 90% of users still running in parallel with the only difference being they have now paid a $15 premium to do what they would have anyway if the pump didn't offer a selection.

I have also tested designs that have pumps in series feeding an expansion chamber for parallel loop configurations like my parallel loops in the single D5 and dual D5 design (it is a parallel design) and the performance still can't compete with the dual in parallel feeding an expansion chamber and dual loops. The exception is a double parallel loop...(parallel parallel loops lol). Honestly, how many users will run FOUR loops? I mean besides DB? Kidding aside if there really is enough interest in the raw numbers I would be happy to send a one off prototype to somebody like Cam so he can test both methods in every possible loop/component configuration known to man (cause you know he has nothing better to do right?). I would guess the only situation you would see the series set up out perform the parallel setup would be one where every single component in the loop/s was very high restriction--including the radiators.
    Last edited by BoxGods; 11-25-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You know I think I have to go back and read. This threads been going on so long besides looks I can't actually rememeber how your duals actually work inside.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast