Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: New Monsoon Modular Reservoir System

Xtreme Addict
    WEll ok then how would i run it for one single loop? Use a Y adapter to and from the pump/res? Sounds kinda logical for it since each pump would beable to draw from the res insted of one pump feading the other pump, but then seems like it would leavel off if they meet in the single tube connected from the Y adapter.
    Running now, http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=693435

Intel 3960 @ 5Ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    QuadFire 7970
    X-Fi Sound Card
    16GB G.Skill 2133Mhz DDR3 Quad Channel Ram 9,11,10 @ 1.65v.
    3 Acer 23" 3D Ready LCDs
    2x Ultra X4 1600 WATT P/S 's
    MM Extension Ascention UFO Case W/ Top of the line Water cooling. Dream build!

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    is the faceplate brushed aluminum?
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by eclypse View Post
    WEll ok then how would i run it for one single loop? Use a Y adapter to and from the pump/res? Sounds kinda logical for it since each pump would beable to draw from the res insted of one pump feading the other pump, but then seems like it would leavel off if they meet in the single tube connected from the Y adapter.
    Some how I think we are maybe talking about different things. Why would a Y adapter be needed? The pumps feed an internal expansion chamber and there are two outlet ports on the back of the reservoir. To run one loop you just choose the outlet port you want to use and put a plug in the other. To run two loops in parallel use both outlets.

To put the performance in perspective, if a stock single D5 puts out 3GPM (an arbitrary number) then the parallel loop Monsoon D5 would have a combined total for two loops of close to 5GPM--one loop near 3GPm and the other at about 2GPM--to be extra clear, that 5GPM is from one pump. In single loop performance the new designs single loop performance is 10% to 25% better then a stock D5 and just like the last bay design with parallel loops, they like to be loaded up in parallel.

The reason I like the Dual D5 design to be parallel is that the excellent dual loop flow rates of the single pump versions translates to the dual pump, but you get a nice little increase in head, and obviously better redundancy in the event of a pump failure.

Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    is the faceplate brushed aluminum?
    Yes, the premium (not sure what they will call it on launch) faceplate is machined from 1/4" thick aluminum billet and brushed and anodized black or silver/clear and a machined acrylic window with beveled edges. The economy version will be a laser cut 1/4" acrylic face.
    Last edited by BoxGods; 09-12-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxGods View Post
    The pumps feed an internal expansion chamber and there are two outlet ports on the back of the reservoir.
    Why do you call it an expansion chamber, what expands ?

Xtreme Addict
    Some how I think we are maybe talking about different things. Why would a Y adapter be needed? The pumps feed an internal expansion chamber and there are two outlet ports on the back of the reservoir. To run one loop you just choose the outlet port you want to use and put a plug in the other. To run two loops in parallel use both outlets.

To put the performance in perspective, if a stock single D5 puts out 3GPM (an arbitrary number) then the parallel loop Monsoon D5 would have a combined total for two loops of close to 5GPM--one loop near 3GPm and the other at about 2GPM--to be extra clear, that 5GPM is from one pump. In single loop performance the new designs single loop performance is 10% to 25% better then a stock D5 and just like the last bay design with parallel loops, they like to be loaded up in parallel.

The reason I like the Dual D5 design to be parallel is that the excellent dual loop flow rates of the single pump versions translates to the dual pump, but you get a nice little increase in head, and obviously better redundancy in the event of a pump failure.

Yes, the premium (not sure what they will call it on launch) faceplate is machined from 1/4" thick aluminum billet and brushed and anodized black or silver/clear and a machined acrylic window with beveled edges. The economy version will be a laser cut 1/4" acrylic face.
    I guess i'm lost then.. Been water cooling since water cooling become water cooling hehe. But, i believe your talking about something other then what i believe to be parallel water cooling. Are you just talking about how the pumps work and not how the tubes are run to all the blocks correct?

I think i need an drawing or some pics of some kind to explain what your talking about.

My head is spinning as it is with this latest build with information overload.. Been out of the loop for the past 3-4 years since my last build.. so i'm building from the ground up and want all the lastest and greatest stuff. THough i geel that if i continue to wait around everything in my rig will be outdated by the time i get it all runing and finalized like my last build which took me like 6 months to build the custom case.

Intel 3960 @ 5Ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    QuadFire 7970
    X-Fi Sound Card
    3 Acer 23" 3D Ready LCDs

Nothing expands. BG is simply using a different word to explain how it works. Basically the pump design gives you the ability to run a duel loop with 1 res. The benefit of the shared res is that you can actually run one loop with just water blocks and no radiator. The other loop can consist of the radiators. This is different from the conventional duel loop where each has their own radiator and res. Its a great way to keep flow rates up and to really tidy up some of the crazier loops. This is made possible due to how fast the liquid in the res is actually changed out.

Really looking forward to the 5 bay version. Finishing up a project with 2 3x140 mm rads, Mips ram cooler, full asus rampage extreme iii block, ek cpu block and 3x 470 gtx on ek blocks. I have been on the hunt for the perfect res, and this wins hands down. Been a big fan of your design and have been following this from the old typhoon 3 thread (really glad i read that as I almost purchased one). Can't wait to see it in person.

Eclypse:
    Are you asking if the 3/5 bay models with the dual pumps can be run in series? As in can you have one loop and just have both pumps used in that single loop instead of running 2 in parallel.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyranie909 View Post
    Eclypse:
    Are you asking if the 3/5 bay models with the dual pumps can be run in series? As in can you have one loop and just have both pumps used in that single loop instead of running 2 in parallel.
    Yeah, but i believe he said i could.. Interesting info you mentioned above about runing one loop for all the blocks and the other loop from the res for all the rads.. that sounds wild! Now thats different then i've always done it. Yeah, it does sound like it really would cut down the crazy tubing and have a cleaner look.

I plan to have 2-3 rads in the system.. one huge Hardware Labs 480GTX for the 3 480gtx DD blocks and a ThermoChill PA 120.3 or 2 for the CPU and MB full WB. Kinda wana do a sep loop for the CPU and MB block since that EK Supreme HF WB really kills the flow.

Intel 3960 @ 5Ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    QuadFire 7970
    X-Fi Sound Card
    3 Acer 23" 3D Ready LCDs

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    Why do you call it an expansion chamber, what expands ?
    The volume of space...if water exits the helix of the pump at an opening that is say .30" in diameter and directly out a port and into the loop then the volume is pretty static. The reservoirs have an expanded area right off of that helix that in turn feeds multiple ports. There is a smaller outbound chamber inside the reservoir in other words. I can use that chamber's size and shape to tune the flow out of each of the outlet ports, which is how we get one of the loops in a parallel loop to have more flow then the other.

It might be "more correct" to say expanded chamber...but that sounds weird.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah, but i believe he said i could.. Interesting info you mentioned above about runing one loop for all the blocks and the other loop from the res for all the rads.. that sounds wild! Now thats different then i've always done it. Yeah, it does sound like it really would cut down the crazy tubing and have a cleaner look.

I plan to have 2-3 rads in the system.. one huge Hardware Labs 480GTX for the 3 480gtx DD blocks and a ThermoChill PA 120.3 or 2 for the CPU and MB full WB. Kinda wana do a sep loop for the CPU and MB block since that EK Supreme HF WB really kills the flow.
    That last part is the point I was trying to stress. As an example, running the parallel loop single D5 model with a high restriction block on loop one and their MC TDX (which is a high flow block) on loop two you get:

Loop One Top - New Microchannel Block - 1.0GPM
    Loop Two Bottom - MC-TDX Block - 2.2GPM

If you run those lops with nothing installed you get:

Top - 1.8GPM
    Bottom - 2.5GPM Plus...maybe 3.0

It says the plus and 3.0 because the meters used only go to 2.5 and it pegs it lol.

As Tyranie909 commented, you can use a parallel loop pump with a higher restriction item on one loop and items that you want more flow on the other loop.

Xtreme Addict
    Alright i think its getting clear now.. So the max out of the 5 res block is 2 correct? So i could have one out going to the 480GTX blocks x3 and the other out going to the CPU and MB blocks.. i'd also have to daisy chain the rads in there somehow as well.. or i could just have one out going to all the blocks in series and the other out going to the rads.. Does that sound about right? Doing the later to me seems like it would really kill the flow to the blocks though.

Intel 3960 @ 5Ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    QuadFire 7970
    X-Fi Sound Card
    3 Acer 23" 3D Ready LCDs

Xtreme Addict
    Alright i think its getting clear now.. So the max out of the 5 res block is 2 correct? So i could have one out going to the 480GTX blocks x3 and the other out going to the CPU and MB blocks.. i'd also have to daisy chain the rads in there somehow as well.. or i could just have one out going to all the blocks in series and the other out going to the rads.. Does that sound about right? Doing the later to me seems like it would really kill the flow to the blocks though.
    Everyone's opinion on the "best" configuration will vary--especially in here lol--and without particulars about your set up I could not say for sure of course, but in my PERSONAL experience, radiators generally like more flow, GPU's trend neutral on flow, and high performance CPU blocks usually will be pretty restrictive and thus "low flow". You can tune the performance once you have all your parts locked in.

Said another way, the dual loop enabled reservoir pumps and stand alone pumps are good choices IMHO because they can still run a single loop if that is what you need for a particular build, but they also add a LOT of options and performance boosting that you can't get with a single loop only pump.

The volume of space...if water exits the helix of the pump at an opening that is say .30" in diameter and directly out a port and into the loop then the volume is pretty static. The reservoirs have an expanded area right off of that helix that in turn feeds multiple ports. There is a smaller outbound chamber inside the reservoir in other words. I can use that chamber's size and shape to tune the flow out of each of the outlet ports, which is how we get one of the loops in a parallel loop to have more flow then the other.

It might be "more correct" to say expanded chamber...but that sounds weird.
    How about - flow tuning chamber or manifold ?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Is there a dual DDC version available? If so, would you mind putting up a couple renders?

edit: on the DDC versions do you have depth measurements? I've been looking for a bay res for a while and one of these would be absolutely perfect, if it fits :P
    core i7 920, gigabyte EX58-UD5, 4870x2

DDC3.2 > PA120.3 > DD4870x2fc > Fuzion v1 > PA120.2 > EK Res

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    How about - flow tuning chamber or manifold ?
    maniflow?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by halo112358 View Post
    Is there a dual DDC version available? If so, would you mind putting up a couple renders?

edit: on the DDC versions do you have depth measurements? I've been looking for a bay res for a while and one of these would be absolutely perfect, if it fits :P
    Under 100mm deep (about 98mm to the fitting holes if memory serves)

Reposting the earlier render. These are a few internal revisions back so they do not have the cosmetic changes to the top (looks much better with the changes) and I did not add the mesh in the vent holes on the single.

There is routing on both sides of the single for the pump wires for whichever works best in different builds, and the back on the dual DDC can be flipped to have the wires exit top or bottom. Both have the internal LED board and front power switches for the lights.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ah, ok - so the unit on the right is a dual pump version? I wasn't sure if the second res was dual pump or if that was some kind of fancy back.

thanks!

Xtreme Addict
    Ah, ok - so the unit on the right is a dual pump version? I wasn't sure if the second res was dual pump or if that was some kind of fancy back.

thanks!
    It is BOTH

The slots are just ventilation for the two pumps. The premium aluminum version is finned like the round one on the D5 full conversion.

Hi .. can i order one? hehe... i need it for my build soon.
    HEATWARE
    x58-UD5 ▀▄ i7 950 4.0Ghz ▀▄ ZOTAC GTX 580 ▀▄ Mushkins 1600Mhz

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedubber View Post
    Hi .. can i order one? hehe... i need it for my build soon.

Unfortunately the D5 version and the non pumped dual and single bay parts launch first, so unless you build really slowly (like Boddaker speed ) or are not gonna start for about a month, then the DDC parts will not be out in time.

Ya my build will come slow but dunno how slow lol
    HEATWARE
    x58-UD5 ▀▄ i7 950 4.0Ghz ▀▄ ZOTAC GTX 580 ▀▄ Mushkins 1600Mhz

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It is BOTH

The slots are just ventilation for the two pumps. The premium aluminum version is finned like the round one on the D5 full conversion.
    Awesome, that sounds pretty damn perfect for my upcoming rebuild. Know any retailer that would be willing to send me an email when they're in stock? If it's six weeks I'm going to forget

edit: blerch, added it to my google calendar and set it to repeat every two weeks - I'd still like to know if I can pre-order anywhere
    Last edited by halo112358; 09-13-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Awesome, that sounds pretty damn perfect for my upcoming rebuild. Know any retailer that would be willing to send me an email when they're in stock? If it's six weeks I'm going to forget

edit: blerch, added it to my google calendar and set it to repeat every two weeks - I'd still like to know if I can pre-order anywhere
    I would offer to remind you but my memory is worse then your pumpkins lol.

Maybe go to Danger Den's website and subscribe to their news letter? The box is on the left side of the page on the link bellow. I know for a fact they don't share their email list and only send out a one page little news letter every so often (I am not a joiner so that sort of thing is important to me).

http://www.dangerden.com/
    Last edited by BoxGods; 09-13-2010 at 11:37 PM. Reason: worst?

Xtreme Member

Sorry I do not have official pricing yet as the decision on packaging is not firm yet (see above)....... In other words, on the higher end load outs not cheap. Not crazy expensive either though,....
    While I understand the 'official' pricing is not figured out yet....I would like to know what you consider 'not cheap' and what would be (by you) where crazy expensive starts.

In short, what's a ballpark for not cheap....like ~$100 or more like ~$150.

PS..I'm asking your interpretation...not anything someone should remotely attempt to hold to as 'official pricing'.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not entirely sure I understand the question. The 5 bay has 2 pumps and 2 loops in parallel. The term "top" strictly speaking is a misnomer as it is primarily intended as a dual pump bay reservoir...a really BIG bay reservoir lol.

I agree. Would certainly kill as a top mounted pumped reservoir. I would add a few fill ports to the window if it were me for very easy filling and topping off.

Would look great side mounted as well. I have a version designed that has a window on the back also so you could turn the reservoir into a very fancy window.

The real key here is that any modder that has ever wanted to do either a water feature or waterfall type mod...this is about as good a foundation for that as you will find. The design actual started as a waterfall reservoir but I loved the big beveled window so much it became what you see now.
    Dammm you...... I haven't even started building and i had a dream last night on how to mod it lol

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MagisD; 09-14-2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: i spll Gud
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast