Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: New Monsoon Modular Reservoir System

Xtreme Addict
    In for one single D5 res/top if the price isn't too exorbitant Looks very, very nice. I have faith in a block of Delrin that I do NOT have in joined and glued acrylic.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Selling the reservoir slightly cheaper as a "package" might be a good option to do, as well as having them in parts as modules, that I think would pretty much cover the demand

There should also be a promotion for people migrating from the reservoir that shall not be named :P

wc :banana::banana::banana::banana:!!!

Really like the clean front design. When are those babies gonna hit the stores?
    My hardware changes to fast and to much to keep a sig up to date. I just gave up on the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxGods View Post
    No worries, it is a little confusing wrapping your brain around parallel loops at first. I tell people to think of the reservoir portion as more of a manifold then a reservoir. Most manifolds act as a sort of load balancer, (thermal energy more so them flow rates). The individual loops on the Monsoon can be fine tuned somewhat because one loop intentionally has a little more flow then the other. I personally like to use the higher flow loop as my radiator loop. I might add one or two low restriction items to that loop if I have to like a chipset block. Because the reservoir is acting like a manifold, exchanging it's volume something like 16 times a minute, I can loop a CPU or GPU/s on the other loop that do not feed directly into the radiator/s in a step by step fashion. Other people like to stay in that stepped mode and have good results too.

Short answer, differential pressure in the different loops is not an issue, but rather something Monsoon will excel at.
    Interesting. So does that mean that having the parallel loops will always increase flow rates (perhaps not uniformly) over different components when compared to a single loop system with the same pump and same components?

Xtreme Cruncher
    I wonder if DD has thought about the fact that a lot of their cases have single bays only...
    upgrading...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Bli View Post
    Interesting. So does that mean that having the parallel loops will always increase flow rates (perhaps not uniformly) over different components when compared to a single loop system with the same pump and same components?
    I will go out on a limb here and say that if you take the exact same loop (all the exact same components in other words) and and split it up into a parallel loop system then "almost always yes". The caveat being that not every single combination possible with those components would for sure offer better results. I have seen some really REALLY wild loop configs before lol.

Quote Originally Posted by meanmoe View Post
    I wonder if DD has thought about the fact that a lot of their cases have single bays only...
    Of course...there is a single bay reservoir (no pump) and the new stand alone pump designs also.

Xtreme Addict
    Here is the megga build DB did for Origin I meantioned with the built in Xbox 360...$17K worth

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/07/o...ox-360-all-mu/

Xtreme Guru
    Looking forward to more updates on this G. Looks really good.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by eclypse View Post
    5 bay big window dual D5! I'll take one NOW as i'm gona be piecing my new setup together in a week or 2 and i'm gona need one as i have 3 Laing D4 pumps! Would'nt mind grabing another pump to snag 2 of these babies.. but i only have 1 3 drive bay in the new mountain mods case.. but i'll have plenty of space in that case to keep it out of the drive bay hehe.

I NEED one now for my Tri DD 480GTX blocks! hehe.

Glad i seen this thread as i was debating buying a couple new tube type res and new pumps.. but if i can get something that kick ass in a D4/D5 dual pump top/res combo, i'll hold off and wait for it!
    I know it is hard to figure out how the 5 bay dual D5 looks/works from that "stealth render" posted earlier. Bellow is a better view of the 1st version (the production model is version 4 but most of the changes are cosmetic). There are actually 2 LED boards, one top and one bottom, each with 4 LED's so there is plenty of light.

That is the black and red color version...will come in all the colors and of course can be decked out ala carte as covered previously. The three bay version actually has a full round window just because that shape worked better. I JUST realized that you meant only one 3 drive bay, not 13 (thirteen) drive bays lol.

Last edited by BoxGods; 09-10-2010 at 05:52 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    WOW! Even in the color i'd want as the case theme is gona be black and red!

I see what you mean.. the 5 bay FTW! I'll take 2! hehe

Plenty of space in the MM Ascension Extension i've got coming with horizontal MB tray. Might kill some air flow in the case having them in between the rads and the MB but i'd be happy to figure it out heh.

How are the lines hooked up? Since it would'nt be used in a drive bay in my case, could it be layed on its backside with the window facing up?
    Last edited by eclypse; 09-10-2010 at 06:09 PM.
    Running now, http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=693435

Intel 3960 @ 5Ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    QuadFire 7970
    X-Fi Sound Card
    16GB G.Skill 2133Mhz DDR3 Quad Channel Ram 9,11,10 @ 1.65v.
    3 Acer 23" 3D Ready LCDs
    2x Ultra X4 1600 WATT P/S 's
    MM Extension Ascention UFO Case W/ Top of the line Water cooling. Dream build!

Xtreme Cruncher
    wow...
    upgrading...

Xtreme Addict
    WOW! Even in the color i'd want as the case theme is gona be black and red!

I see what you mean.. the 5 bay FTW! I'll take 2! hehe

Plenty of space in the MM Ascension Extension i've got coming with horizontal MB tray. Might kill some air flow in the case having them in between the rads and the MB but i'd be happy to figure it out heh.

How are the lines hooked up? Since it would'nt be used in a drive bay in my case, could it be layed on its backside with the window facing up?
    The inlet ports are the two outer ports along the center axis and the out ports are the 2 center ports in that image. Later revisions added an additional inlet in each corner.

The unit can be mounted flat provided the window is up...however since the ports are on the back that would have them facing down...so if the res is top mounted not an issue, but on the bottom of a case it would take some creative plumbing. Keep in mind where the pumps draw as you would not want to starve the pumps.

Xtreme Addict
    Ok so these are not dual pump (single loop) tops? 2 pump top for 2 loops?

Intel 3960 @ 5Ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    QuadFire 7970
    X-Fi Sound Card
    3 Acer 23" 3D Ready LCDs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Helllllllllllll get an extra Window panel for your top And cut a Mounting hole or get a custom side panel cut with a bay into it. that would be nice .... side mounted.

I might end up changing my loops to that once its out. keeping my triple quad front and top.
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Any pics of the DDC version?
    Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2g------------EK Supreme HF
    EVGA X58 SLI LE------------------EK-FB EVGA X58 LE
    nVidia GTX 580----------------------EK-FC580 GTX
    6g Corsair DDR3----------------DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's top
    OCZ 120g Vertex SSD------------------PA120.4
    WD 150g Raptor
    WD 500g
    ASUS Xonar DS
    HX1000 psu
    Silverstone TJ07 case

Xtreme Addict
    Ok so these are not dual pump (single loop) tops? 2 pump top for 2 loops?
    Not entirely sure I understand the question. The 5 bay has 2 pumps and 2 loops in parallel. The term "top" strictly speaking is a misnomer as it is primarily intended as a dual pump bay reservoir...a really BIG bay reservoir lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MagisD View Post
    Helllllllllllll get an extra Window panel for your top And cut a Mounting hole or get a custom side panel cut with a bay into it. that would be nice .... side mounted.

I might end up changing my loops to that once its out. keeping my triple quad front and top.
    I agree. Would certainly kill as a top mounted pumped reservoir. I would add a few fill ports to the window if it were me for very easy filling and topping off.

Would look great side mounted as well. I have a version designed that has a window on the back also so you could turn the reservoir into a very fancy window.

The real key here is that any modder that has ever wanted to do either a water feature or waterfall type mod...this is about as good a foundation for that as you will find. The design actual started as a waterfall reservoir but I loved the big beveled window so much it became what you see now.
    Last edited by BoxGods; 09-11-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: spelling. added waterfall comment

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
    Any pics of the DDC version?
    DD has to give the go ahead on product "pictures" but renders should be OK

This is again before the top portion was redesigned and I forgot the mesh that goes in the Maltese cross looking open vent area for the single DDC.

Both are obviously full conversions in that the bottom of the DDC (with the big ugly mounting tabs etc.) is replaced. Shown is the delrin motor cover/s but there will be aluminum premium versions as an option/upgrade available at launch.

Xtreme Addict
    For the 5 bay, I'm smelling a price between $150 - $250USD. :|

Looks awesome but.

Any 1 pump 2 loops bay res?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt0r View Post
    Any 1 pump 2 loops bay res?
    All of the single pump bay reservoirs are parallel loop capable, and 2 of the stand alone pumps are.

All of the single pump bay reservoirs are parallel loop capable, and 2 of the stand alone pumps are.
    Great.

Xtreme Addict
    Not entirely sure I understand the question. The 5 bay has 2 pumps and 2 loops in parallel. The term "top" strictly speaking is a misnomer as it is primarily intended as a dual pump bay reservoir...a really BIG bay reservoir lol.
    I'm talking about both pumps run a single loop together. Are the pumps made to run in series? I see you mentioned they
    run in parallel? Both pump fead from the same res and exit fromthe same out line right?

Intel 3960 @ 5Ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    QuadFire 7970
    X-Fi Sound Card
    3 Acer 23" 3D Ready LCDs

Xtreme Addict
    I'm talking about both pumps run a single loop together. Are the pumps made to run in series? I see you mentioned they
    run in parallel? Both pump fead from the same res and exit fromthe same out line right?
    Correct. On the dual pump versions both pumps feed into an expansion chamber which then has a pair of outlets. Lots of debate on which is better, parallel or series I know, but my thinking is that in a dual pump setup with a single loop series would be better in more situations, but in a dual pump setup running parallel loops parallel is much better. If you set a system up with parallel loops you get better performance over a long single loop IMHO, so more users will go that route.

When the reviewers start posting performance numbers you will see why I think that

Xtreme Addict
    Ok then.. since i want to run seperate loops for the graphics cards and the cpu/MB and want a dual series pump top i should be looking elsewhere.

Intel 3960 @ 5Ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    QuadFire 7970
    X-Fi Sound Card
    3 Acer 23" 3D Ready LCDs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I belive if i understood that it 2 pumps into a single chamber and you hook one or 2 loops off that chamber. That's a dammmmmm good idea best of both worlds of parallel and series. I'm guessing here but both pumps into same chamber really gona increase flow pressure.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast