Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: New Monsoon Modular Reservoir System

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 12-10-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Agreed, that does not look like a toy...
    upgrading...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    +1 ^
    thats what i had in mind, i have seen that before, any ideas on its impact on flow?
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
    Agreed. I'm a huge fan of bay res' due to their ease of use and the fact that at a glance I can check my flow and my water level. But that only works if I leave some air in the res. If these new res' have to be completely air free then that's a huge deal breaker for me.

I'm extremely disappointed. I was really looking forward to getting one of the DDC versions.

I'm not sure what everyone else thinks about reservoirs but to me they're about convenience not a boost in performance. Personally I don't need a boost. As it is I have to turn my pump down to about 80-85% so it doesn't make too much noise from too much flow.
    Then fill it 3/4's and turn it down. For the record when we talk about "filled", it really is being polite. What I mean by that is that from the companies perspective--you or I or most of the people frequenting XS don't have loops that magically loose half their water volume every week, and are not put off by regular maintenance. The other end of that spectrum are customers who will complain that when the water level reaches the pump inlet it draws air...and that they have to occasionally add more water.

I would be HAPPY to design a 3 bay with a single lower mounted D5/DDC that allows users more volume above the pump outlet but then people will complain that it is 3 bays, or a little more expensive...something about all the people all the time...

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxGods View Post
    Um...even totally full there is NO mistaking when the pump is running
    Keep in mind that these ARE high performance parts. The D5 for example exchanges the water in the reservoir something like SIXTEEN times a minute.

Personal preference is just that however so I will try to get a video posted of the pump running so you can choose for yourself.
    Even though I was in a manufacturing setting for 12 years (machinist), I made sure to take good care of my hearing and even though I'm now nearing my mid 40's, I still have very good hearing and simply can't hear any of my DDC's when they're running, so I have to use some other method than simple temps to reassure myself the pump is still running. It's an old (and likely outdated) habit I picked up from the DDC-2 days. I simply need to see the water moving in the res to quiet that little voice I keep hearing that says "Is it running?, Is it running?" like some annoying little kid asking, "Are we there yet?".
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Guru
    Waterlogged: maybe you just need to playback recorded sounds of running pump at higher amplified volume on speakers , if the real thing is too quiet, just like artificial motor sounds pushed as mandatory for electrical or hybrid vehicles by few activists

Xtreme Enthusiast
    great idea churchy

but it would probably make you run to the bathroom every 5 mins
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Even though I was in a manufacturing setting for 12 years (machinist), I made sure to take good care of my hearing and even though I'm now nearing my mid 40's, I still have very good hearing and simply can't hear any of my DDC's when they're running, so I have to use some other method than simple temps to reassure myself the pump is still running. It's an old (and likely outdated) habit I picked up from the DDC-2 days. I simply need to see the water moving in the res to quiet that little voice I keep hearing that says "Is it running?, Is it running?" like some annoying little kid asking, "Are we there yet?".
    I am also in my mid 40's and also was UBER careful about hearing protection in the shop. Kind of weird about sound period--I find the sound of my PC's sort of comforting in that they are good white noise, and I get very stressed in large public spaces. Quake Con was especially daunting for me this year as it was packed and LOUD.

Sound is subjective as is everyone's definition of noise, but Monsoon is certainly quieter then the T3 was, to my ear at least. I think the only issue you would have seeing fluid motion would be the window shape you picked as some have a higher profile then others. I will get some video of one running as soon as we get caught up and ship some parts.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    I think it would be cool to see some options with a passive ball disc type indicator similar to this:

It could probably be stuck in one of the bottom corners at the return port maybe?

I've actually kind of grown to having my king instruments flow meters running all the time, they don't add much restriction and give me peace of mind knowing my flow rate is still good after a long run (blocks are still flowing clean and free).

It's another idea to consider in the future..this doesn't look like a toy I don't think..
    Urgh. That brings back memories of my old Dwyer rotameter, and it's rattling that could be heard from across the house when operating, thanks to the unsecured ball.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xtreme Cruncher
    @Mpg, hah... rattling == not good. I'm pretty hearing sensitive.

I personally don't care to see the water movement. I'd love to have one of Martin's flowmeters though (except for trying to find room for one in some builds). For the most part, I'm just excited to pick up a new bay res without gimmicks or cracks. The dual loop performance is a super bonus. On my second T3, there was a little string of acrylic on one of the port interiors. At first it was annoying but then I realized that it was life a tuft (little string) used to see flow direction in a wind tunnel. I thought it was pretty cool for about an hour. I certainly didn't need it. If it rattled, I may have cracked it prior to it doing it on it's own.
    upgrading...

Xtreme Mentor
    I use a koolance flow meter because my hearing sucks, I am paranoid and my res is out of sight.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by meanmoe View Post
    @Mpg, hah... rattling == not good. I'm pretty hearing sensitive.

I personally don't care to see the water movement. I'd love to have one of Martin's flowmeters though (except for trying to find room for one in some builds). For the most part, I'm just excited to pick up a new bay res without gimmicks or cracks. The dual loop performance is a super bonus. On my second T3, there was a little string of acrylic on one of the port interiors. At first it was annoying but then I realized that it was life a tuft (little string) used to see flow direction in a wind tunnel. I thought it was pretty cool for about an hour. I certainly didn't need it. If it rattled, I may have cracked it prior to it doing it on it's own.
    Actually that is sort of a good idea maybe. Secure some sort of flexible water proof...call it string or fiber to some location inside the reservoir and let it oscillate (undulate?) with the flow turbulence as a visual indicator.

Call it a "Streamer" ba-da bump bump

Xtreme Addict
    Quick update--

Bellow are a few quickie pictures--not glamor shots but you get the idea. These are the matching bay covers. Obviously matching the reservoir front plates. So far they will be available in black and silver anodized with either a clear or frosted beveled window. Probably will sell a 1/8" laser cut non beveled window in colors and smoked acrylic also. Quality is right up there with Lian-Li or Silverstone for the face plate finish. Face is machined from 1/4" sheet.

These are done and will launch with the reservoirs in the next 7 to 10 days.

Xtreme Member
    Are these going to be available only from DD or other online retailers as well at launch?
    Gigabyte z68 UD3
    2600k @ stock
    8Gb G Skill
    2x eVGA GTX 680 @ stock
    Intel 320 80Gb
    Intel 320 120Gb x2
    Intel 320 160Gb x2

Xtreme Cruncher
    Actually that is sort of a good idea maybe. Secure some sort of flexible water proof...call it string or fiber to some location inside the reservoir and let it oscillate (undulate?) with the flow turbulence as a visual indicator.

Call it a "Streamer" ba-da bump bump
    If you implement it, you should call it "The Waterlogged Edition" or modification or whatever... and on the box: "because we don't wish to dissapoint"
    upgrading...

I am Xtreme
    If you implement it, you should call it "The Waterlogged Edition" or modification or whatever... and on the box: "because we don't wish to dissapoint"

EGADS!...Don't you dare!
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    lol...
    upgrading...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolslave View Post
    Are these going to be available only from DD or other online retailers as well at launch?
    Not sure if other resellers will also carry the bay covers but I would guess any picking up the reservoirs will also sell the bay covers.

Maybe call it "Monsoon Con Gusano" lol.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    On my second T3, there was a little string of acrylic on one of the port interiors. At first it was annoying but then I realized that it was life a tuft (little string) used to see flow direction in a wind tunnel.
    Maybe call it "Monsoon Con Gusano" lol.
    Genius!

a small piece of red water proof string,..
    silent, no restriction, visual indicator

"The Worm"™
    X2k

Xtreme Batrachian
    Not sure if other resellers will also carry the bay covers but I would guess any picking up the reservoirs will also sell the bay covers.
    I'm liking the dual DDC res a lot (seen it in the render on the 1st page)... Is anyone going to be carrying these (and the front plates) in UK/EU?
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MrToad View Post
    I'm liking the dual DDC res a lot (seen it in the render on the 1st page)... Is anyone going to be carrying these (and the front plates) in UK/EU?
    Yes.

Xtreme Batrachian
    Yes.
    Yay!

The non-yay part is that I finally decided to skim through the whole 11 page thread and from what I gather the dual-DDC res is dual loop AND it won't be released on the first batch? Is that correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MrToad View Post
    Yay!

The non-yay part is that I finally decided to skim through the whole 11 page thread and from what I gather the dual-DDC res is dual loop AND it won't be released on the first batch? Is that correct?
    User configurable to be either dual or single loop.

Correct, not released in the first wave/batch. Likely middle to end of February.

It is ready to go and might arrive sooner if the D5 version launches without issue and moves well.

Xtreme Mentor
    Any updates to shipments? And who will be carrying them?
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    Any updates to shipments? And who will be carrying them?
    The last shipment of parts and packaging arrived today but was not complete--the aluminum top covers, motor mounting O rings, and molex plugs for the LED boards were MIA. Hoping they turn up tomorrow or withing the next few days.

Also having an issue with the decorative cover that goes on the back of the full conversion aluminum motor mounting tube. Because we want users to be able to install the cover without having to remove the molex plug on the pump there are two notches, 180 degrees apart to allow the power cord to pass through. The cover bows slightly at the notches--it does not affect performance in the least as it's for aesthetics, but obviously I want it perfect. We have tried 10 different annealing schedules to relieve machining stresses but no luck. May have to switch to aluminum. I think we might ship with the delrin part and just offer a free upgrade when we resolve the issue since it is easy to replace and does not require uninstalling the reservoir or draining the loop--take about 30 seconds to swap em out inside the case.

The image shows the warp/gap at the wire pass through notch at the back end of the motor tube. That is the pic from the old top design still, just borrowed it from the first post in this thread, sorry.

Otherwise on Schedule for the 15th or so.

I still do not know for sure who will be reselling beyond Danger Den of course. Will post a list when I have hard data.
    Last edited by BoxGods; 12-09-2010 at 11:04 PM.

Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast