Page 1 of 43 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: New Monsoon Modular Reservoir System

Xtreme Cruncher

New Monsoon Modular Reservoir System

This is a new thread about the new Delrin Bay res by DD (you may have seen some of this already )

Gallery: Beater pictures posted by BoxGods: 'Beaters'

Shots of mounting hardware posted by DB:

Quote Originally Posted by BoxGods View Post
    8 screws - 4 per side - for the dual bay pumped versions. The issue is the depth of the pumps. If you add another 50-60 mm to catch the back row of screws that puts the pumps out into the component area and you risk them blocking the longer video cards that are popular now.

Even if you manage to clear everything it puts tubing in a congested area with not a lot of room for bends etc... and these are already a giant chunk of delrin--60 mm more in depth would price them out of reach.

Provided the case itself is not a cheap/wobbly unit 8 screws is/are plenty. I do agree the ones with only 2 screws per side are pushing it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
    Danger Den will have TONS of variations The first batch will be just a few but there is an insane amount of stuff coming out. They are taking their time to make sure they get it right (and listening hence the choice of delrin).
    Renders posted by DB:
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
    teaser:
    Heard there have been some major changes and the coolest features are hidden (not seen in this rendering) will available in red, blue, black, and silver/gray, might get pictures of the first one in a few days. Danger Den is getting ready to roll some stuff out and has listened to feedback from the community.

My favorite pic: (nice logo, classy window)

Exact ETA is still currently unknown...
    Last edited by meanmoe; 11-08-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Modified per request.
    upgrading...

Xtreme Member
    Uhm, You should prolly have waited for DD, Boxgods or DB to start this thread
    If they had wanted a thread started, im sure they would have done so by now.
    CoolerMaster Stacker STC-T01 | Gigabyte P45-UD3P | Q9550 @ 4GHz 1.30v | 2x2GB G.Skill 8500 | Gigabyte 6950 Flashed to 6970 | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Seasonic x-750

Loop 1:Laning DDC3.2 XSPC Res Top, Swiftech GTZ & MCR 320

PetrasTech.com R.I.P.
    Team Group Ram

Xtreme Member
    Looks nice as usual, great build quality. Picture showing filled res would be better though.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by SkItZo View Post
    Uhm, You should prolly have waited for DD, Boxgods or DB to start this thread
    If they had wanted a thread started, im sure they would have done so by now.

Actually, this is probably a good idea since it separates the new DD line from the old Primochill thread. The old thread should probably be closed or left to die since I doubt we will ever hear anything new from Primochill about it.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Member
    I like the new mounting hardware idea.

To be honest, I've never really been a big DD fan but these reservoirs have changed my mind a bit.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    Actually, this is probably a good idea since it separates the new DD line from the old Primochill thread. The old thread should probably be closed or left to die since I doubt we will ever hear anything new from Primochill about it.
    Agreed.

Well Tropical storm Hermine (SP?) has taught me a few important things.

Power lines, internet cable lines, and pump houses are some serious weak sauce against a few tons of falling tree.

The longest I can go without my PC and net access before withdrawal sets in is about 4 hours.

Laptops suck. Vista sucks. Vista on laptops sucks exponentially.

My wife needs a new chair here at the office...and a new PC...running anything but Vista.

The tree fortunately missed all the people and pets near and dear, thankfully.

Xtreme Addict
    Also, I am not ignoring anyone on questions about performance, just the testing has all been unofficial and in house at DD's shop. If I post those numbers then 3RD party reviewers get different results...I get grief.

I can say that the performance on the bay reservoir that we don't say the name of in here, in single loop was acceptable but not stellar, and I focused there. In single loop it was only on par with the stock D5--not the end of the world for a bay reservoir pump that is parallel loop enabled--and of course it excelled in parallel loop performance.

Jeremy from Danger Den hooked up a meter on a simple loop on a stock D5, then on the Monsoon in single loop and its flow rates were 10% to 25% better. So a respectable bump in performance that I am pleased with.

Again...those are unofficial numbers and very basic testing. Samples will go out to the liquid labs for official 3RD party numbers pretty soon.
    Last edited by BoxGods; 09-07-2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: changed dual to parallel

Xtreme Member
    I can't wait ! This is the best news since sliced bread.

Xtreme Member
    This is exactly what I am been looking for. Bay res you can disassemble (To clean), and by the looks of it, integrated pumps.

Perfect, will be picking one (or two) up ASAP!

Xtreme Addict
    Should look very good with most cases unlike some other bay reservoirs.
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

I'm looking forward to this as well.

Would like to get this to replace my current reservoir (the product shall not be named), and give me some peace of mind instead of checking every few days to make sure that there are no leaks.

Xtreme Addict
    So BG, is the pump completely hidden? It looks like it goes in that "barrel" and a cap goes on, completely hiding it? If so, freaking awesome.

Xtreme Addict
    I like this design much much better. Does the mounting come in contact with water or is the rubber for vibration purposes? These things are perfect to get much of the watercooling items out of the way in smaller cases. Will be watching for some reviews on these items.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I for one, am not too concerned about flow numbers. I just want something that doesn't leak, or crack over time. And lets me put my computer case back together. I'd even buy one of the shop beater ones
    Desktop
    [Asus Rampage III Gene] [i7 920 D0] [12GB OCZ3B2000C9LV6GK] [HIS HD 5970] [SeaSonic X750 Gold ] [Windows 7 (64bit)] [OCZ Vertex 30GB x3 Raid0] [Koolance CPU 360] [XSPC Razer 5970] [TFC 360 rad, D5 w/ Koolance RP-450X2]
    HTPC
    [Origen AE S10V] [MSI H57M-ED65] [ i5-661 w/ Scythe Big Shuriken] [Kingston HyperX LoVo 4GB ] [ SeaSonic X650 Gold ] [ OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD ] [ SAMSUNG Spinpoint 640GB 7200 RPM 2.5"][Panasonic UJ-225 Blu-ray Slot Burner] [ Ceton InfiniTV4]

Xtreme Member
    Bring on a Dual D5 3 bay version
    CoolerMaster Stacker STC-T01 | Gigabyte P45-UD3P | Q9550 @ 4GHz 1.30v | 2x2GB G.Skill 8500 | Gigabyte 6950 Flashed to 6970 | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Seasonic x-750

Loop 1:Laning DDC3.2 XSPC Res Top, Swiftech GTZ & MCR 320

PetrasTech.com R.I.P.
    Team Group Ram

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottALot View Post
    Should look very good with most cases unlike some other bay reservoirs.
    There will be several face plate styles, including a "Blank" for those wanting either an ultra clean install, or the mod guys who want to design their own window shape. So far the only finish choices are the brushed black and clear/silver annodized. I have tried to find a shop that can duplicate the powder coat black from the TJ07 style cases but no luck yet. There will also be blind bay covers for the rest of the bays in a case for those wanting the front of their PC to match, and if there is interest, a one piece bay cover that will cover all the bays on a case with a single clean cover and have the reservoir window on it. The issue is where the Monsoon reservoir actually mounts (tob, bottom...middle?) and how many bays. Could end up being a lot of sku's.

Quote Originally Posted by dingdong555 View Post
    So BG, is the pump completely hidden? It looks like it goes in that "barrel" and a cap goes on, completely hiding it? If so, freaking awesome.
    There are thee pump mounting options. The economy, which is a short ring that leaves the pump exposed and is machined from Delrin and color matched. A machined aluminum shorty ring with knurled grip area that is anodized. The mount shown is the full conversion machined aluminum with cooling fins and a color matched delrin end cap--cool looking and it cools the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    I like this design much much better. Does the mounting come in contact with water or is the rubber for vibration purposes? These things are perfect to get much of the watercooling items out of the way in smaller cases. Will be watching for some reviews on these items.
    Took me a minute to figure out what you meant, but I *think* you mean do the mounting screws actually pierce the reservoir and the rubber pads seal the screws from leakage? No. The rear end of the reservoir where the mounting holes are is actually a beefy 1/2" to 3/4" (depending on the model) thick front to back and the M3 mounting screws have a LOT of threads to reduce the risk of stripping the screws...something like 8 or 10mm worth.

The rubber pads are to *dampen" vibrations and work very well. These run very quiet once the air is burped from your loop.

Another feature I worked very hard on is the lighting. There are four PCB mounted LED's in the top cavity that feed light cells or "light pipes" into the reservoir. Monsoon will ship with high quality UV LED's but replacement PCB's with red or blue LED's will be available at launch for those wanting to switch colors. The LED PCB also incorporates a pair of momentary switches (not those crappy push in and lock push in and release kind) and push rod buttons, the 2 tiny buttons you see on the face of the reservoir. That means users can turn the lights on and off or select high/low without a crappy wire harness to route/hide and no need to drill holes in your case somewhere and mount switches. The only wire off the reservoir is a 2 pin for the LED power and the power for the pump. Units sold with an included pump will combine these into a single molex, those using their own pump can also combine these to a single plug but it may require a molex pin remover.

The board also includes a nice little micro controller for those able to program in hex code, though I do not know what all is possible as just getting the buttons to work was more then I could handle lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SkItZo View Post
    Bring on a Dual D5 3 bay version
    As I mentioned, the design for a 3 bay Dual D5 us already done, it just comes down to a crowded launch schedule. There are six bay reservoirs, matching board blocks, at least one (likely two) matching high performance CPU blocks, and 3 or 4 stand alone pumps, both single and dual/parallel loop capable. I would imagine it will come down to whether they launch the 5 bay version or the 3 bay version of the Dual D5 first. The thinking is that there is a dual bay dual DDC for those wanting dual pumps in a small space, and the 5 bay dual D5 is for case modders wanting a killer big windowed (the 5 bay is known internally as overkill lol) foe waterfall type mods. I am a modder first and foremost so making parts modders can do their thing with is a motivator for me. That said, I am sure DD will be watching the forums to see which model (3 bay or 5 bay big window dual D5) is getting the most interest.
    Last edited by BoxGods; 09-08-2010 at 06:18 AM.

Xtreme Member

Wink

Just one thing to say BG,
    HURRY UP WITH THESE RESERVOIRS!!!!!!
    My 5th T3 replacement has just started leaking last night.
    Well done, they look fantastic.

Xtreme Member
    Box Gods, do you know the price range they are going to be selling in ? I want one anyways so I can replace my old T3's so I guess it make no difference right now what they sell for. I just want something I'm not looking for cracks daily on LOL

I can't wait...........
    Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 @ 4.0 MHz
    3x2 Gigs of Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600
    Swiftech Apogee XT
    Bitspower Black Freezer AIX58NSE
    EK Mosfets
    XFX 5970
    Westy 42" Monitor
    Silver Stone ST 1500 Watt PSU
    Corsair 800 D Case
    2x 74 gig Raptors Sata 0Raid

Quick question (noob here): For the dual loop res with the one D5, would the two loops have to have a similar amount of resistance?
    I'm worried that say if one loop were more restrictive than the other, the more restrictive loop would have far less flow.

Xtreme Addict
    5 bay big window dual D5! I'll take one NOW as i'm gona be piecing my new setup together in a week or 2 and i'm gona need one as i have 3 Laing D4 pumps! Would'nt mind grabing another pump to snag 2 of these babies.. but i only have 1 3 drive bay in the new mountain mods case.. but i'll have plenty of space in that case to keep it out of the drive bay hehe.

I NEED one now for my Tri DD 480GTX blocks! hehe.

Glad i seen this thread as i was debating buying a couple new tube type res and new pumps.. but if i can get something that kick ass in a D4/D5 dual pump top/res combo, i'll hold off and wait for it!
    Last edited by eclypse; 09-08-2010 at 09:19 AM.
    Running now, http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=693435

Intel 3960 @ 5Ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    QuadFire 7970
    X-Fi Sound Card
    16GB G.Skill 2133Mhz DDR3 Quad Channel Ram 9,11,10 @ 1.65v.
    3 Acer 23" 3D Ready LCDs
    2x Ultra X4 1600 WATT P/S 's
    MM Extension Ascention UFO Case W/ Top of the line Water cooling. Dream build!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Barso View Post
    Just one thing to say BG,
    HURRY UP WITH THESE RESERVOIRS!!!!!!
    My 5th T3 replacement has just started leaking last night.
    Well done, they look fantastic.
    The design has gone gold, packaging is in the works...I think the only delay right now is actually how to offer the things up...I am advocating an ala carte system where all the individual components--main bodies, mounting rings, covers, plugs, face plate styles etc. are boxed individually and people just order the parts they want to suit their build and budget. I guess the issue there is all the SKU's and inventory for the resellers and maybe some buyer confusion.

Should be shipping shortly. The official word from DD is "2 to 4 weeks".

Quote Originally Posted by Moto450 View Post
    Box Gods, do you know the price range they are going to be selling in ? I want one anyways so I can replace my old T3's so I guess it make no difference right now what they sell for. I just want something I'm not looking for cracks daily on LOL

I can't wait...........
    Sorry I do not have official pricing yet as the decision on packaging is not firm yet (see above). I can safely say that the whole enchilada with the full conversion motor mount, fancy face plate, black chrome plugs etc. will not be as "inexpensive" as the T3 was. The main body is precision machined from a solid chunk of Delrin, is annealed to exacting specifications (almost 10 HOURS in the "sauna" so all the stresses form machining are removed) and then the exterior is going to have a matte finish applied.

The higher end face plates will have machined beveled acrylic windows, polished and annealed, machined 1/4" thick billet style aluminum face plates, the fancy LED PCB for lights etc. etc. In other words, on the higher end load outs not cheap. Not crazy expensive either though, and for guys on a budget there will be economy versions of the face plate/window (1/4" acrylic sheet), simplified Delrin motor mounting ring, delrin plugs etc. Because the line is very modular, users who go the economy route now, or need different face plates or w/e for a later build etc. can upgrade or swap out looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bli View Post
    Quick question (noob here): For the dual loop res with the one D5, would the two loops have to have a similar amount of resistance?
    I'm worried that say if one loop were more restrictive than the other, the more restrictive loop would have far less flow.
    No worries, it is a little confusing wrapping your brain around parallel loops at first. I tell people to think of the reservoir portion as more of a manifold then a reservoir. Most manifolds act as a sort of load balancer, (thermal energy more so them flow rates). The individual loops on the Monsoon can be fine tuned somewhat because one loop intentionally has a little more flow then the other. I personally like to use the higher flow loop as my radiator loop. I might add one or two low restriction items to that loop if I have to like a chipset block. Because the reservoir is acting like a manifold, exchanging it's volume something like 16 times a minute, I can loop a CPU or GPU/s on the other loop that do not feed directly into the radiator/s in a step by step fashion. Other people like to stay in that stepped mode and have good results too.

Short answer, differential pressure in the different loops is not an issue, but rather something Monsoon will excel at.

Quote Originally Posted by eclypse View Post
    5 bay big window dual D5! I'll take one NOW as i'm gona be piecing my new setup together in a week or 2 and i'm gona need one as i have 3 Laing D4 pumps! Would'nt mind grabing another pump to snag 2 of these babies.. but i only have 1 3 drive bay in the new mountain mods case.. but i'll have plenty of space in that case to keep it out of the drive bay hehe.

I NEED one now for my Tri DD 480GTX blocks! hehe.

Glad i seen this thread as i was debating buying a couple new tube type res and new pumps.. but if i can get something that kick ass in a D4/D5 dual pump top/res combo, i'll hold off and wait for it!
    Holy crap lol. Have you seen DB's 17K Origin build yet? it even has an X Box 360 stuffed in there...takes a fork lift to move it around.

The 5 bay dual D5 will not launch in the first wave, so it is likely 6 to 8 weeks out. It sounds like your build might be a good one to promote Monsoon though so send me a PM and I will see if there is any way DD will OK an early release--never hurts to ask =)

It may be a few days till I can get back to you as power is still out here from Hermine and I am having a hard time staying connected on this lappy crap.
    Last edited by BoxGods; 09-08-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxGods View Post
    The design has gone gold, packaging is in the works...I think the only delay right now is actually how to offer the things up...I am advocating an ala carte system where all the individual components--main bodies, mounting rings, covers, plugs, face plate styles etc. are boxed individually and people just order the parts they want to suit their build and budget. I guess the issue there is all the SKU's and inventory for the resellers and maybe some buyer confusion.

Should be shipping shortly. The official word from DD is "2 to 4 weeks".

Sorry I do not have official pricing yet as the decision on packaging is not firm yet (see above). I can safely say that the whole enchilada with the full conversion motor mount, fancy face plate, black chrome plugs etc. will not be as "inexpensive" as the T3 was. The main body is precision machined from a solid chunk of Delrin, is annealed to exacting specifications (almost 10 HOURS in the "sauna" so all the stresses form machining are removed) and then the exterior is going to have a matte finish applied.

The higher end face plates will have machined beveled acrylic windows, polished and annealed, machined 1/4" thick billet style aluminum face plates, the fancy LED PCB for lights etc. etc. In other words, on the higher end load outs not cheap. Not crazy expensive either though, and for guys on a budget there will be economy versions of the face plate/window (1/4" acrylic sheet), simplified Delrin motor mounting ring, delrin plugs etc. Because the line is very modular, users who go the economy route now, or need different face plates or w/e for a later build etc. can upgrade or swap out looks.

No worries, it is a little confusing wrapping your brain around parallel loops at first. I tell people to think of the reservoir portion as more of a manifold then a reservoir. Most manifolds act as a sort of load balancer, (thermal energy more so them flow rates). The individual loops on the Monsoon can be fine tuned somewhat because one loop intentionally has a little more flow then the other. I personally like to use the higher flow loop as my radiator loop. I might add one or two low restriction items to that loop if I have to like a chipset block. Because the reservoir is acting like a manifold, exchanging it's volume something like 16 times a minute, I can loop a CPU or GPU/s on the other loop that do not feed directly into the radiator/s in a step by step fashion. Other people like to stay in that stepped mode and have good results too.

Short answer, differential pressure in the different loops is not an issue, but rather something Monsoon will excel at.

Holy crap lol. Have you seen DB's 17K Origin build yet? it even has an X Box 360 stuffed in there...takes a fork lift to move it around.

The 5 bay dual D5 will not launch in the first wave, so it is likely 6 to 8 weeks out. It sounds like your build might be a good one to promote Monsoon though so send me a PM and I will see if there is any way DD will OK an early release--never hurts to ask =)

It may be a few days till I can get back to you as power is still out here from Hermine and I am having a hard time staying connected on this lappy crap.
    Have not seen that build! hehe.. But i'll be glad to take a look.

Cool, sent you that PM!
    Running now, http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=693435

Intel 3960 @ 5Ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    QuadFire 7970
    X-Fi Sound Card
    16GB G.Skill 2133Mhz DDR3 Quad Channel Ram 9,11,10 @ 1.65v.
    3 Acer 23" 3D Ready LCDs
    2x Ultra X4 1600 WATT P/S 's
    MM Extension Ascention UFO Case W/ Top of the line Water cooling. Dream build!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    That's a LOT of acetal/Delrin goodness...

Xtreme Addict
    Thankfully with DD and Delrin, we won't be looking at another Primochill disaster. Interesting ideas.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Gahhh I promised myself I wouldn't try any new critical components till 6 months after release. But your temping me to change my build lol and i just bought components lol

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Page 1 of 43 123411 ... LastLast