Thread: Help with a new monitor please

Xtreme Member

Help with my Dell U2711 please

So I'm in the market for a new monitor. Over the past couple years this has become one of the most important parts of my pc to me. Afterall you spend 100% of your time looking at it.

Right now I'm using a 32" samsung ln32a550 HDTV as my computer monitor. While it has served me well over the past 2 years I feel it's letting me down. I'm afraid I'm sacrificing image quality and I'm also afraid I'm getting lots of input lag with this setup.

I need a 27" to 30" monitor that will excell in my lifestyle. I typically play lots of games; online and offline. Also, I use this computer to watch movies and even some image editing.

As far as cost goes, in my opinion a good monitor is one of the most important items in a system so I'm willing to part with some cash. I just can't see the justification for the Dell 3008wfp to be almost twice as much as the u2711 though. I am really hoping to not have to exceed $1000 but if I have to then I will.

What I need is some guidance... Please help.

Edit: I was also looking to go down the IPS road
    Last edited by TBahre; 09-17-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    Corsair 800D -- ASUS Rampage III Extreme -- i7-920 (On water) -- Corsair Dominator 6GB -- ASUS GTX 580 -- ASUS GT 430 -- 2x1TB Caviar Black -- 80GB Intel X-25M SSD -- Corsair HX1000W -- Dimas Tech Bench White

Noob Overclocker
    I cant recommend the u2711 highly enough. The most amazing colours, plenty of real-estate, loads of connections.
    Also didnt want to pay the premium for the 3008wfp - checked a few reviews and @ 2560 x 1440 vs 2560 v 1600, the u2711 won most contests.
    Zombie Killer Corsair 700D with Quad Rad mod+240 rad mod/Asus Maximus III Formula/i5 750 @ 4Ghz/8GB GSkill Trident/HIS HD 6990/Dell u2711/120GB Kingston SSD Now!/All under EK watercooling goodness!
    HTPC Lian Li V354B/i5 750/4GB Corsair/MSI HD5770/60GB GSkill Phoenix/Corsair H50/EVGA P55 Micro SLi

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the quick reply turtle. I have to agree when it comes to 16x9(2560x1440) vs 16x10(2560x1600); to me it isn't that big of a deal I would take either one.
    Corsair 800D -- ASUS Rampage III Extreme -- i7-920 (On water) -- Corsair Dominator 6GB -- ASUS GTX 580 -- ASUS GT 430 -- 2x1TB Caviar Black -- 80GB Intel X-25M SSD -- Corsair HX1000W -- Dimas Tech Bench White

Xtreme Member
    Anyone else have some input for me?

Xtreme Member
    I'm a new user of a U2711 and just agree with RacingTurtle, now I feel like a real pro compared to the substandard NEC LCD22VW (Analogue VGA 22") monitor I had before.

The perfect monitor doesn't exist because it all sums up to each persons subjective needs and taste, so I can just advice You to look around, test whatever monitor that meet your specs and read a lots of reviews to avoid future problems.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks HW. The more and more that I read and see I feel like the u2711 is just right, and the current price of $899 sits well with me.

Xtreme Member
    I have done some more reading and I have one thing left that's bothering me about the u2711... The anti-glare.

Typically an anti-glare coating on a monitor does not bother me. I have owned several monitors with anti-glare coatings. I'm wondering what the deal is with the u2711 though. Why have I seen so many complaints about the anti-glare coating? They say it adds a sparkle effect and makes the whites look dirty. Is this true? Or should I not be worried since pretty much all I have owned are anti-glare monitors.

Your replies are greatly appreciated.

Xtreme Member
    Ok so I bit on one from eBay seller "electronics.liquidation". NIB, for $879 with the 3 year warranty. I Also took the $20 pixel check before shipping. I just couldn't resist any longer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I believe that particular anti glare coating is similar to if not the same as the polarizer NEC used on some of their IPS monitors and may be the same as what last yr's LG IPS TVs used as well as the Panasonic Alpha IPS TVs. It does indeed make the whites look dirty. A guy that owns a Panny IPS TV I spoke to said you can alleviate much of it by cranking the brightness up from it's default 80 to max, turning the backlight down, and setting the black level to dark. I don't know if you'll have all those options with the U2711 though.

I never got around to trying those settings on the Panny I was considering because I sort of gave up comparing them in store the more I read about how they've downsized the features on this yr's models. I find that setting option to be a bit troubling too. I'd rather have some headroom in the brightness to allow for the set aging than have to go max right out of the box because of their anti glare coating. Even their LED lit ones have the dirty whites problem.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 09-07-2010 at 05:59 PM.

Noob Overclocker
    I've not noticed any issues with mine at all - All the colours seem pure enough.
    Remember its a matte anti-glare finish not a glossy one which makes a massive difference.
    I've not fiddled around with any brightness or colour settings as, to be honest I dont know what half of them do! I did alot of research before I bought and this review from TFT Central had the most comprehensive testing I could find. Really put my mind at ease when paying £900 for a monitor.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2711.htm

You can also get .icc profiles from their database which are the settings for the u2711 after its been calibrated by their LaCie Blue Eye Pro.
    Last edited by RacingTurtle; 09-08-2010 at 11:26 PM.
    Zombie Killer Corsair 700D with Quad Rad mod+240 rad mod/Asus Maximus III Formula/i5 750 @ 4Ghz/8GB GSkill Trident/HIS HD 6990/Dell u2711/120GB Kingston SSD Now!/All under EK watercooling goodness!
    HTPC Lian Li V354B/i5 750/4GB Corsair/MSI HD5770/60GB GSkill Phoenix/Corsair H50/EVGA P55 Micro SLi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's not the shape of the screen we're referring to but rather the coating used (matte is merely a textured screen surface). A lot of people don't notice the dirty white problem until the display is viewed side by side with others and an all or near all white image comes on screen.

Out of curiosity, what is the factory brightness setting on the U2711, and what does it max at?

Xtreme Member
    Thanks Frag and Turtle. Turtle, that link definitely puts my mind at ease thanks for that! It's due to arrive next week. I plan on taking pics and posting them to this thread... Cant wait.

Noob Overclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Frag Maniac View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is the factory brightness setting on the U2711, and what does it max at?
    Just going according to the article (i havnt checked on mine) default is at 50 and max is 100.
    Interesting on most of the .icc profiles after calibration has brightness down to 30%.

Noob Overclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by TBahre View Post
    Thanks Frag and Turtle. Turtle, that link definitely puts my mind at ease thanks for that! It's due to arrive next week. I plan on taking pics and posting them to this thread... Cant wait.
    Great news! You wont be disappointed I can promise you that.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingTurtle View Post
    ...default is at 50 and max is 100.
    Interesting on most of the .icc profiles after calibration has brightness down to 30%.
    I see, are there separate backlight and black level adjustments besides the brightness by any chance? I suppose I could try and scrounge up a U2711 manual and take a look see, but I'm a bit crammed for time trying to get a PC problem and my car fixed right now.

Noob Overclocker
    Seems as though the menu options are pretty sparse:
    Brightness level gets to 100,
    No backlight or black level adjustments - I guess you'd do these in the software.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No backlight or black level adjustments - I guess you'd do these in the software.
    OK thanks, and no, you can't do those adjustments in the software. That's where TVs have an advantage, but there are of course disadvantages as well.

Xtreme Member
    So I have been trying to write something all day but work kept getting in the way

I received my u2711 last night. I couldn't wait to get home from work yesterday after seeing via email that my monitor had been delivered; I was extremely excited to try it. So after pulling apart my desk, moving the old HDTV to the floor, re-routing wires, and finally getting the new u2711 setup I turned on my computer... Glorious!!!!!!

As soon as I had it up and running all my worries disappeared. I do not see any "dirtying of the whites" or much of the "sparkle effect" caused by the anti-glare coating. I am very satisfied with it. Everything looks amazing at 2560x1440, smooth and perfect. I would highly recommend this monitor.

To anyone that has experience with the U2711, what are your settings such as brightness/ contrast and other monitor settings?

Right now I have
    Brightness: 30
    Contrast 50
    Input color format: RGB
    Mode selection: Graphics
    Preset Modes: Standard (tried sRGB but found it too washed out for my liking)

Any recommendations on these type of settings would be very helpful.

Noob Overclocker
    I just used the .icc profile from that link above - seems to work out.
    Some reviews said the factory calibration was near perfect, so... I didnt fiddle too much past that.

Xtreme Member
    I just used the .icc profile from that link above - seems to work out.
    Some reviews said the factory calibration was near perfect, so... I didnt fiddle too much past that.
    I tried those but don't really see what they do. It doesn't seem to change anything when I apply it. Those really only apply to that reviewers monitor since each monitor differs some.

Xtreme Addict
    wow that U2711 is quite tempting, i have been wanting to convert my 3x24" setup to 1x24" and 1xsomething bigger
    this could be the perfect monitor and not too bad of a price
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripken204 View Post
    wow that U2711 is quite tempting, i have been wanting to convert my 3x24" setup to 1x24" and 1xsomething bigger
    this could be the perfect monitor and not too bad of a price
    I don't think you could go wrong with the U2711, seems like it's the best bang for your buck in it's resolution and size. All I can say now is that the colors this thing produces are unreal.

I now have read up on what icc profiles do and am starting to understand. If I'm wrong please correct me but to be totally calibrated for the best picture quality on a specific monitor you need to have a custom icc profile done with a colorimeter.

Tonight, since I'm in a cheap mood right now, I tried to calibrate the "standard" mode of the U2711 by eye with a program called Quickgamma. This doesn't produce a custom icc profile but seems to work nicely if you have patience. The icc profile in use was the one calibrated for 6500k that came on the Dell driver cd. By this point in my story some of you are probably ready to kill me for using such a simple technique on such a nice monitor but bear with me. After I played around with Quickgamma I was even happier with this monitor.

My new question to ya'll is... Would someone in my position (gaming, movie watching, and lite-duty photo editing) benefit from a hardware colorimeter? Or am I fine in the way I used? Mind you picture quality is very very important to me. Once again I thank everyone and anyone who can help me out!
    Last edited by TBahre; 09-17-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Nahhh - paying for a hardware colorimeter is in order only for design and publishing professionals, imho. The factory presents and a simple calibration utility is all you need for you usage. Have fun

Btw I might get the same monitor, but I'd like to use the U3011 first and then decide whick way to go

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccaution View Post
    Nahhh - paying for a hardware colorimeter is in order only for design and publishing professionals, imho. The factory presents and a simple calibration utility is all you need for you usage. Have fun

Btw I might get the same monitor, but I'd like to use the U3011 first and then decide whick way to go
    Thanks for the reply, after tweaking things through quickgamma a couple more times I have to say that I am quite pleased! I definitely don't want to drop $200 on a colorimeter.