Thread: Bank Holiday Sossaman Build

Xtreme Enthusiast

Bank Holiday Sossaman Build

Hi Guy's me again.

I actually did this build last week over the bank holiday weekend but for love nor money I couldn't find my SD card reader.

Don't expect anything mind blowing or awe inspiring like trn's. Just a short log to show you guys I'm not slacking but mainly because I promised Ramaistro pictures

Special thanks again for Sierra for organising the give away and Ramaistro for donating the sossaman.

I've never had something so... well packaged... Honestly though, under all that it was a box within a box within bubblewrap within a static bag. Took at least ten minutes to get to the board.

A quick before shot of the case I'm going to use.

After making a rather loud racket with a drill for half and hour. You wouldn't think this is England with all that sun

My first hardware mod

Test fit. I still need to buy some electrical tape to cover the sb screw. I can then move my gtx 275 and psu from my dad's part time machine for some 24/ grid action.

Sossage in her box. Yes those are thumb screws

Custom inverted atx aka turn the case upside-down

Crunching away under my desk. That's my 920 at 312w not the sossa. You can also see that the psu I am using for the time being only has a 4 pin. Been crunching 24/7 happily for a week so I don't think it's a problem for the time being.

For some reason xp wouldn't play nice and I couldn't connect to the internet

Ubuntu will have to do for now. I'm a total linux noob, but no time like the present to start learning.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a guide on how to vnc or remote desktop between ubuntu & W7 proff I'll internet love you long time
    Nymph - Xeon 5675 @ 4.1 w/ x2 680
    Ikaros - i7 920 w/ 275 - Build In Progress

Long live LGA1366

I am Xtreme
    We Love Sossaman's long time here

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Get a small chipset fan for the aluminum HS on the SB..It gets very hot.
    The 120 you have on the cpu HS will also cool the NB the way you have it set.
    Good Luck!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Cheers guys.

Will something like this do?

Sigh.. More tacky blue lights...
    Last edited by Kryja; 09-05-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Long live LGA1366

Xtreme Legend
    UK sossamans (not so common as over there) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Intel-Xeon-LV-...item2a09f5c182 Just in case anyone is looking

EDIT: the same guy has a whole bunch of ram too but I don't know the spec for sossaman builds
    Last edited by OldChap; 09-05-2010 at 01:23 PM.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme crazy bastid
    They're rare as rocking horse sh ... avings here in Auz, too. Proud to own one!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crunching for Poppabear
    You should be able to use putty to ssh into the linux box. That will be command line only . For GUI you could try VNC. Been awhile since I played around with linux.

Xtreme Member
    The following should help you remote host into that machine. I have both remote access to the machine via SSH and remote Boinc management set up. Let me know if you have any questions as I just worked through my third rig this weekend.

Always make a copy of the file and set it to read only so if you make an error you can always start over
    sudo cp <source> <destination>

SSH for Ubuntu
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SS...SH/Configuring

The items I recommend to set are
    port, change it so something else like 9022 or 10022 vs the standard 22 this will make it harder to find if someone where to gain access to your local network
    Change the grace time from 120 to like 30, this will allow less time for someone to access the system if they don't know the password
    Add the "AllowUsers" to the end of the file and specify your local account as the only one allowed
    I throw in the banner add just because and change the logging to VERBOSE as this will log everything. There is really nothing to worry about but just like to take the extra step myself.

Boinc remote host
    http://www.boinc-wiki.info/Remote_Hosts_File
    Crunchers up and running

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Cheers for that Wolfsburg. I'll have a read through those tonight once I'm home from work. No doubt I'll be back asking questions

Long live LGA1366

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryja View Post
    Cheers guys.

Will something like this do?

Sigh.. More tacky blue lights...
    Yes.. Just a small one and 5/8" coarse sheet rock screws work excellent forholding them in.. Only one needed..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

In ubuntu you can install xrdp:
    sodu aptitude install xrdp

and than you can use Windows Remote Desktop to connect to your linux box.

PS: not so sure about Vista/7 Remote Desktop client, but XP's Remode Desktop client can connect to Ubuntu without problems
    Core2 Q9550 | P5Q Deluxe | 4x 2GB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz | TT Frio | AMD Radeon HD6970 | 4x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1

Xtreme Cruncher
    Looks good

I really mis it/her It was fun all the crunching gear.

Someday I will be back.

Now where was my lotery ticket...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Are you going to be running GPUgrid or any other GPU computing programs? If so, a VNC program might be your only way to go because RDP will probably interrupt GPU computations (it does with Windows) and if you run the computer headless, X will not start and the video card won't be accessible to BOINC either. Just some things I had to deal with when running BOINC in linux with GPU programs. If you are not going to do GPU stuff then I like Putty because it is simple (although simple is relative I guess ).
    Intel Core I7 3930K 4.4Ghz | Asus Radeon HD7870 | 8 GB Ram | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | Lenovo L220x Monitor | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the input guys

@ Hedge, I like simple But yes I plan to put a 275 in there on gpugrid.
    Just need to take a ten minute walk and buy some electrical tape to cover that southbridge screw

I'm all booked up each evening this week so I'll have a play around at the weekend. No doubt I'll be back asking for some hand holding.

Long live LGA1366

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah, Linux GPU crunching = Fail
    My linux machine was down for several hours yesterday when I was fighting with the GPU.
    I kept thinking "You just HAD to recompile the kernel didn't you?"

Does VNC work with GPU crunching on Windows? I know RDP works without a video card at all.

Dumb question:
    Why did you turn the case upside down?

I'm almost always available on Steam to chat. Same username.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jspace View Post
    Yeah, Linux GPU crunching = Fail
    My linux machine was down for several hours yesterday when I was fighting with the GPU.
    I kept thinking "You just HAD to recompile the kernel didn't you?"

Does VNC work with GPU crunching on Windows? I know RDP works without a video card at all.
    VNC does work with GPU crunching in windows. I have noticed on my gtx275 that when I log in through VNC the gpu usage drops by half, but then resumes after I disconnect. RDP would just interupt the computation because it loads its own video driver.
    Intel Core I7 3930K 4.4Ghz | Asus Radeon HD7870 | 8 GB Ram | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | Lenovo L220x Monitor | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jspace View Post
    ... Dumb question:
    Why did you turn the case upside down?
    To bling it up. Nah, very simple reason: cable management. You can't see in those photo's too well but space is pretty tight down there and my tower plug would get in the way. Also there is a small gap on the bottom right of my desk where I could feed the ethernet and power plug through.

Also thought that I could line up hard drives with some sort of frame as in the third picture if I wanted to try to make a backup server or something. Though, funds & Linux knowledge permitting, that would be some time next year.

Long live LGA1366

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Grr just found that the lazy sasauge has been idle the past five days

Long live LGA1366

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Gah!! And for the stupidest reason ever: ethernet cable was slightly loose

Long live LGA1366

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nothing more frustrating than a computer that is working but can't report.