Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fortress FT02 & Raven RV02 Liquid Cooled Club

Xtreme Member

Fortress FT02 & Raven RV02 Liquid Cooled Club

Can we have a gallery for the FT02 and RV02 liquid cooled setup?
    Following is my first attempt of liquid cooling with a single 140mm SR1 radiator on the FT02. I am in the process of revamping the setup with a bigger radiator so let’s see how it will turn out later. Cheers!

I really like the fortress, such a sweet case.

Xtreme Member
    that's a very nice and tidy rig you have there, hope it works as good as it looks. Thinking about changing to the white tubing in my black ufo case
    D-TEK fuZion/ 8800 GTS block/ PA 120.3/ PA 160/LATE YOONS D12 SM/2x D-5
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer
    My recommendation is high end air over crappy water. Crappy water will just leave you unsatisfied and angry, kind of like a cheap hooker.
    Do not walk behind me,
    . for I may not lead.
    Do not walk ahead of me,
    . for I may not follow.
    Do not walk beside me either.
    . Just pretty much leave me the hell alone!

Xtreme Member
    The supreme land of rules and regulations
    Here's mine...

If I'm a danger to myself just think what I could do to you.

Xtreme Member
    Here's my Raven 02, enjoy

Gigabyte z68 UD3
    2600k @ stock
    8Gb G Skill
    2x eVGA GTX 680 @ stock
    Intel 320 80Gb
    Intel 320 120Gb x2
    Intel 320 160Gb x2

Xtreme Guru
    I wonder if it's possible to move FT02's hotswap disk enclosure into 5.25 bay enclosure with access from front, and put some bigger rad down there with leaving original 180mm fans in place? Probably some one-piece door should be made for good looks & easy access and turning disk enclosure 90deg for it to fit width wise ..

Xtreme Member

FT02 and RV02 are top notch

Wow awesome rigs! Man those sleeved cables are looking fantastic in the FT02 and RV02, which make mine look like crap. Nonetheless, I got some sleeves on order from Germany so rest assured I will be sleeving mine soon. Thanks for your participation of this post. Keep them coming!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    I wonder if it's possible to move FT02's hotswap disk enclosure into 5.25 bay enclosure with access from front, and put some bigger rad down there with leaving original 180mm fans in place? Probably some one-piece door should be made for good looks & easy access and turning disk enclosure 90deg for it to fit width wise ..
    The HD cage of the FT02 is part of the support structure for the 5.25 bay cage, which is pinned (with rivets) together to the frame structure so it may require some extensive modding to relocate it. With some modding skills, I guess that anything is possible. However, it is possible to fit a Swift-tech 480rad with 120mm fans under the HD cage by removing all the three 180mm fan filter housings. Those 180mm fans are 1.25" thick and each sits on a filter housing, which is about 1" thick, along with a .25" thick grill, they take up quite a bit of vertical space. Even by removing everything down to the metal floor, it still needs some modding to fit 4 120mm fans down there because the floor is not flat, as it has a couple of "bumps" in the middle of the floor. With a dremel tool, it should not be a problem remove them. With that said, it should not be a problem fitting a 2.5" thick triple rad (XSPC, TC, etc.) on top of the 180mm fans if you do not have a video card longer than the GXT 465/470. Nonetheless, this is only a mid-tower case so vertical space is limited to work with.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommrussell View Post
    that's a very nice and tidy rig you have there, hope it works as good as it looks. Thinking about changing to the white tubing in my black ufo case
    Thanks! Yeah those white tubing look great! I am not sure if I keep them though for my next rebuild, as I like to see the liquid, especially if there are bubbles floating. This setup seems to be working just fine with a single 140mm rad cooling just the CPU. With the AMD 955 chip at stock speed, it has been idling at around 33C, which I think is quite good. I think this is a perfect WC setup for a beginner and for those who have a budget to work with.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    nice pictures and great case

Xtreme Guru
    mingbongo: Removing rivets is very easy. Reinforcing frame might be much harder though, if rigidity depends much on that hotswap disk enclosure being in it's place. I know 180mm fans can be removed, but i stated aswell - i want to leave them in place. And still have possibility of putting full size/full thickness big rad (and even maybe another layer of fans on top of it). Especially as it is about the only sensible place where internal rads should be mounted knowing airflow direction. Pitty though that problem with longer GPUs still will be there even after hdd enclosure mod.

Xtreme Mentor
    90degree make very different
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Member
    churchy: Yeah I know what you were trying to get to for removing the HD cage. Like I said before this is a mid-tower case so it does not have a lot of vertical room to work with. The distance between the feet of the case to the top I/O panel is only 17.75" so as you can see it is not very tall at all compared to a full tower case at 24". I was hoping Silverstone would improve upon the FT02/RV02 to give us a more rad friendly case but it does not seem like they are going to that direction with prototypes of FT03 and RV03 shown in recent trade shows. Oh well, maybe TJ11 will be one to have for those of us FT02/RV02 fans.

I got to thinking after reading your original post that it would be interesting to remove the HD cage and fit a full size 2.5" thick rad down there to fill the whole lenght of the case. This is not only possible but it should not be that difficult to mod. The HD cage is a U-shape structure and by cutting the U-shape in half (the bottom part) without affecting the strenght of the 5.25 bay above, it should open up the vertical space to about 5", which is just about level with the bottom edge of the ATX motherboard. This should be enough to fit a full size thickness rad with 1" thick fans down there, assuming you mount everything to the metal floor. Of course, the lenght of the video card is still limited to a GTX 465/470 or equivalent. The internal lenght or depth of the case from front to back is about 23.875" and with this dimension it is possible to fit a 560 rad down there. Man how nice is that for a mid-tower case! Who said the FT02/RV02 is not VC friendly?

Here is picture of my FT02 stripped to the bare bone:

Xtreme Guru
    cstkl1: nice build. It looks like he has 3x140 on bottom? I wonder if 4x140 can fit (HWLabs BI SR1 560 is 605mm long, case is FT02 is 616mm, so maybe does fit). 560 rad should be rather adequate for cooling in gaming i7+two fermi imho. Pitty he got rid of hotswap enclosure alltogether. I still think that bottom unused three 5.25 bays might be good place for it and single piece door on front would look better then three separate bezels ..
    EDIT
    mingbogo: can you measure maximum inside length from front till back of case? (+plusing few millimeters from sound dumpening material, which most probably can be got rid of if needed to)
    Hmm, also height of 3*5.25 slots, 4*5.25 slots and width & depth of hotswap disk enclosure. (I'm thinking about possibilities to put it turned vertically but most probably taking more then 3*5.25 slots (there are slim dvd drives though to help) + worse disk cooling as there is no easy way from air going from bottom to top, or horizontally, with maybe leaving only four disks because of limited width)
    Last edited by Church; 09-06-2010 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    cstkl1: nice build. It looks like he has 3x140 on bottom? I wonder if 4x140 can fit (HWLabs BI SR1 560 is 605mm long, case is FT02 is 616mm, so maybe does fit). 560 rad should be rather adequate for cooling in gaming i7+two fermi imho. Pitty he got rid of hotswap enclosure alltogether. I still think that bottom unused three 5.25 bays might be good place for it and single piece door on front would look better then three separate bezels ..
    EDIT
    mingbogo: can you measure maximum inside length from front till back of case? (+plusing few millimeters from sound dumpening material, which most probably can be got rid of if needed to)
    Hmm, also height of 3*5.25 slots, 4*5.25 slots and width & depth of hotswap disk enclosure. (I'm thinking about possibilities to put it turned vertically but most probably taking more then 3*5.25 slots (there are slim dvd drives though to help) + worse disk cooling as there is no easy way from air going from bottom to top, or horizontally, with maybe leaving only four disks because of limited width)
    602mm front to back inside length in a RV02 (same I think?), HWlabs shows 605mm for GTX/SR1 560 rads.

I'm gonna try it anyway

Xtreme Member
    churchy:

I re-measured again tonight the inside distance from metal to metal of my FT02; it is about 23.75-23.875 and this dimension includes the foam, which is about .25" thick. It should be a very close fit with a SR-1 560 if it does drop in. If it does not fit, then you can always grind some material off the back panel at the bottom, as the FT02 has a 3/16 thick aluminum panel plus another .05" of steel liner inside. Better yet, make a rect cut out just enough to clear the 560 and then cover it on the outside with a mesh panel.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolslave View Post
    Here's my Raven 02, enjoy

Is it just me, or do you have a 4x120 Rad at the bottom there. I really like this case compared to the Obsidian 800D. Mind sharing what you modded?
    Project Elegant Dreams
    CPU: Intel 980x (3005F803T) @ Stock , Mobo: Rampage III Extreme, Ram: 24GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 C9 1T 1.51v GPU: SLI EK'd Vanilla GTX580, 0.875v @ idle.
    Sound:Asus Xonar Xense w/Sennheiser PC350
    SSD: 2x OCZ Agility 3 120GB RAID-0 on ICH10 Storage: 2x1.5TB Hitachi 5K3000, 1.5TB WD Black, 1TB F3, various other HDD's Case: Obsidian 800D, PSU: Corsair AX1200,

Water Cooling
    Main Loop
    EK Supreme HF
    EK GTX480 blocks on EVGA 580s
    MCP355 and MCP35X in serial
    Dual BlackIce GTX480 Rads

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mingbogo View Post
    Better yet, make a rect cut out just enough to clear the 560 and then cover it on the outside with a mesh panel.
    If it almost fits (just 1-2mm not enough) there then imho better to try to fit it with minimal bending instead of cutting. Cutting + mesh might spoil airflow, as RV02/FT02 are distinctly positive air pressure cases, so part of airflow will probably skip through that cut instead of going all the way up.

Pitty that one flow will still be left unmodable in any way. If you want original 180mm fans + rad = forget about 5970. From another point of view, it's not that much of an issue, as it's the only one that long, and going two fermi route it might matter less.
    Last edited by Church; 09-07-2010 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cstkl1 View Post
    nicest i ever seen was by this guy with ft02

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1355425
    Really nice in terms of build quality, but as the author states, disappointing temps. A slim 140.3 for three GPUs and CPU is just not enough, in my build it was not enough for GPU+CPU+MB. Obviously depends on what temps/noise you are looking for, though.

Someone asked about removing the HDD cage. I did that, and since I only had one HDD, mounted that in a 5.25 bay (with old shoelaces, obviously). I don't think it in any way affected the rigidity of the 5.25 bays, and allowed me to put in a similar slim 140.3 as in the other forum. I think you get more surface area with a 140.3 than a 120.4. For me the really limiting factor was my HD5870 with power connectors at the end and the fact that I kept the original dust filter assembly.

Now that there is a club, I regret dismantling that build!

Xtreme Guru
    Slim 140.3 especially not enough because slim rads almost all of them are high finned FPI ones, so they work well only with very fast and loud fans, and cool bad with quiet fans. Though rad area is not adequate aswell for three GPUs an CPU. 4x140 might be better and for one GPU less and in gaming only, not in crunching/folding, which loads to the max both GPUs/CPU.

Hmm, I also wonder if it's not worth to use something to close sides of 180mm fans to force all air to go through rad instead of part skipping it and going arround because of 180mm fans being wider then 140mm fan rad shrouds.. Needs to be tested of course, with or without closed sides ..
    Last edited by Church; 09-07-2010 at 04:17 AM.

Xtreme Member

Xtreme Member

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns
    Is it just me, or do you have a 4x120 Rad at the bottom there. I really like this case compared to the Obsidian 800D. Mind sharing what you modded?
    Yep, I have a GTX480 radiator in the bottom.
    I removed the one side of the bay cage, took out the whole bottom fan assembly, drilled two holes and used the two radiator brackets that came with the case. That way, the radiator is above those "bumps" on the bottom of the case.
    Gigabyte z68 UD3
    2600k @ stock
    8Gb G Skill
    2x eVGA GTX 680 @ stock
    Intel 320 80Gb
    Intel 320 120Gb x2
    Intel 320 160Gb x2

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Did you remove the filters as well...thats going to cause some massive dust build up on the rad....

And Knet thats an awesome build...

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast