Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3239404142434445 LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1114

Thread: How to: Arima AMD Opteron Quad Core Socket F 3000 series

Nanoseconds from Permaban
    Quote Originally Posted by confusis View Post
    w00t, board works again. CPU_1's RAM slots are a no-go, but the other 12 slots work fine. socket CPU_1 gave me issues when I first got the board, so I'm not surprised.

*does happy dance*
    Very nice! Crunching yet

Quote Originally Posted by stapler117 View Post
    Sooooo, I was messing around with http://www.dotsch.de/boinc/Dotsch_UX.html which looks pretty cool. As I was switching my monitor's vga cable over from the desktop that software is running on to the arima board, I briefly lost my balance and ended up knocking the video card halfway out of the pci socket. Immediately the board shut down. I tried turning it back on, but no POST. The fans spin up and the green motherboard light turns on, but then a few seconds later it turns back off. Tried with video card, without video card, Cleared CMOS, tried w/ w/o ram. From what I saw on Google, both the motherboard and video card are completely shot.

I guess I'll just have to order another one... the only question is, do I order number 3 to save on shipping?
    Oh man! That sucks. Try a different vid card first, the cheapest route

Quote Originally Posted by retro77 View Post
    Oh man! That sucks. Try a different vid card first, the cheapest route
    Tried a different GPU?
    That's just the thing.... it doesn't even work without it! And from what it sounds like, this is about as bad as a cheap PSU going bang.

Quote Originally Posted by AXM77 View Post
    Where are you in IL? I have one for sale..
    Midstate in Champaign, bit over 2.5 hours from you
    Last edited by stapler117; 10-29-2012 at 06:42 AM.
    AMD 1090T 6-core @ 3.5 GHz, PNY GTX 460, 16 GB RAM, 120 GB Mushkin SSD, 1TB samsung F3 - main desktop - part-time WCG crunching
    C2D e8400 @ 3.25 GHz Saphire 5830 @880 Mhz core/800 Mhz memory, 2 GB RAM, 40 GB HDD WCG dedicated cruncher
    Arima #2 quad socket MB w/ 4x opteron 8350HE 2.0 GHz quad-core, 16 GB RAM WCG dedicated cruncher

Xtreme Member
    from memory mine won't boot without a GPU, even though it boots fine with one.

No crunching yet for me as per previous reasons

unrelated to WCG, but anyone got unraid running on this, or using this board for fileserver purposes?
    I'm trying to reuse this system.

from memory mine won't boot without a GPU, even though it boots fine with one.
    Hmm I'll just try out the gpu on an older board then. I'd rather not kill the board, but I probably won't miss it anyway. If all else fails, I'll put the PSU back in the core 2 duo machine I have for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by File not found View Post
    unrelated to WCG, but anyone got unraid running on this, or using this board for fileserver purposes?
    I'm trying to reuse this system.
    You probably could. I'd say to try it out with the basic version first to make sure that it works. Personally, I have a 14-disk raid 10 installation that uses madam that was fairly easy to setup. Madam doesn't have a practical limit to the number of drives have in the array as opposed to the proprietary limitations of unraid. I/O overhead is pretty minimal too.
    AMD 1090T 6-core @ 3.5 GHz, PNY GTX 460, 16 GB RAM, 120 GB Mushkin SSD, 1TB samsung F3 - main desktop - part-time WCG crunching
    C2D e8400 @ 3.25 GHz Saphire 5830 @880 Mhz core/800 Mhz memory, 2 GB RAM, 40 GB HDD WCG dedicated cruncher
    Arima #2 quad socket MB w/ 4x opteron 8350HE 2.0 GHz quad-core, 16 GB RAM WCG dedicated cruncher

Anyone running CentOS? I am going to be starting a Linux class next week and they are using CentOS and I figured I'd use my BEAST for the class. Thanks

Xtreme Member
    I've run #! (crunchbang) on it fine. Debian based. Go for it - nothing like showing off 16 cores to an IT class :P

Update: So BEAST booted up just fine and started throwing these errors that I had seen before but it still crunched and ran fine. So I got the tablet out and Googled it up and it was a memory error that led me to believe that bank 0 was faulty. So I shut it down and replaced the RAM. I think I boobooed on not switching the power supply off as now it won't boot at all

Xtreme Member
    Yuck. Give it time - CMOS reset and all that. Fussy blighters that they are. Now wonder Arima stopped making mobos around the time ours were made...

Oh a lighter note: I picked up 2 of these:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arima-AMD-Op...-/360504247293

I made an offer for $40/each and they took it. The shipping is $15/per but they only charged me $20 shipping for both. I'll report back on status

Xtreme Member
    Wow now that's a good deal! Unfortunately I'm in the middle of another build (again) so I can't afford one to replace my green PCB with dodgy RAM slots :/

Xtreme Cruncher
    How many amps does it eat?
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

Xtreme crazy bastid
    All of them. There were no survivors.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk 2

Xtreme Cruncher
    I dont follow.
    My question was about how many amperes it eats from the wall

Xtreme crazy bastid
    And my answer was it eats all of them. All the amps. Nothing left. The rest of the building is having a brown-out.
    I tried to make a funny. I failed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Oh I get it now. Sorry for not grasping it

On the other hand, I am

I can't remember but I think like 400w, but I'll throw a kill-a-watt on there when I get one up and running

Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    All of them. There were no survivors.
    Lol. I wouldn't use one of these for an HTPC, that's for sure :P

Seriously though. I agree with ~400W with 55W "HE" CPUs and a basic GPU; worst-case scenario with a high-end GPU and ~120W "SE" CPUs the board would pull more like 650-700W actual. The thing is; these boards pull entirely from the 12v rail- which at 400W on the DC side means 33A- which is more like the 12v output of a good 500-600W PSU. The high-spec would demand 60A+; typical for PSU in 750-1000W range. Don't skimp on power! Get a PSU of good repute (read reviews) and not one with any of that multiple 12v rail nonsense!
    Anarcho-Hippie Hackasaurus Rex!

got one of the Arima beasts up and running

Second one wont POST. Not sure if the CPUs are fried or not
    Last edited by retro77; 11-27-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Anyone running the SE chips in these boards? I'm in the market for a new set of CPUs and am looking to max it out with the Opteron 8360's. They work in these guys, right?

Xtreme Member
    According to my research, someone ran 8358 SE's with no issues (I even put a note in the manual for it :P)

New PSU came today (the one used previously is powering a 5830). Tried to power it up again after all this time, but no dice. Gonna order another once i get back from work

Does anyone have some CPUs that I can borrow to see if the board is good?

So, I'm bailing in the Quad-Quad. I'm going to be moving in a few months and I need to trim the collection down. If anyone's interested, I've got a blue Arima board (from the same reseller that has them on Ebay currently), 4x Opteron 8350HE, 16GB PC-5300 (8x2GB) and four Coolermaster 101's with custom-machined mounts. I'll take $180 + actual shipping from 77004 for the lot. A bit of a loss on my part but this seems fair given current Ebay prices. It all works but I never finished setting it up. PM me if you're interested!
    Anarcho-Hippie Hackasaurus Rex!

Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3239404142434445 LastLast