Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 202728293031323340 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Arima AMD Opteron Quad Core Socket F 3000 series

Fanboy of Good Products
    If they're both doing it then something has to be off.. then again with these boards anything is possible. Bad psu?
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shoota View Post
    If they're both doing it then something has to be off.. then again with these boards anything is possible. Bad psu?
    it really sounds like what was happening to me, but as i have ssd i dont know if drive spun up..

hmmm.. i was serious, i sat there hitting the reset button ever 10 or so min, alternating unplugging the power cord. worked after a few many tries.

Nanoseconds from Permaban
    Power supplies on order from Newegg. might not get them in time for SC week but it'd be nice to get them operational.

Quote Originally Posted by retro77 View Post
    Its been sitting for awhile. I followed the guide her on connecting it all up. Both boards are doing the same thing. I can't even get a hard drive to spin up with nothing else attached to the power supply.
    Sounds like the PSU to me if the PSU won't start up with nothing but a hard drive attached.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

this may be a little late, i just put this together..

you guys still use paperclip to "jumpstart" the psu.

id tell ya to pick one of these up personally the best 4$ i ever spent. ive used it so many times and now its a perm attachment to my arima takes all the "guess work" out, even if there isnt much.
    Last edited by NKrader; 05-03-2012 at 02:52 PM.

That's pretty nice. Thanks.

UPS was just leaving two power supplies on my door step as I got home for lunch today. I slapped one on the first Arima I bought and it powered up! I don't have a full POST yet as I have no video, but the fans are going, hard drive spun up, CD tray opens. Its making some ticking sounds. Like coming from the motherboard itself. Weird. I'll give it some time and see if it POSTs.

edit: tried the other one and it booted up just fine following the directions the OP post. going through Ubuntu setup....
    Last edited by retro77; 05-04-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Awesome.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

She's a crunching

Fanboy of Good Products
    well done.
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

I'm glad to see this thread is still going after years!

The Arima Quads live on- myself and a friend from the local hackerspace picked up several of these boards from a reseller down here in Houston on the cheap and are (gradually) building them out. They are the blue boards, not sure on BIOS version yet. So far, we've got 3 boards with 4x Opteron 8350HE and 16GB each. We're still waiting on heatsinks to arrive then it's off to Fry's to get some 750W PSU's and molex connectors to modify their wiring harnesses. Two of the boards will be crunchers and will get RagePro's (but will probably run headless) and I'm crossing my fingers that mine will work with a spare Geforce 8800GT, if not it's time for some GPU-roulette. The crunchers we'll probably mount to a sheet of Lexan with standoffs but I'm designing a custom deskside case for mine- I don't have scans of the drawings handy but the design is inspired by the BlueGene-P racks with some added flair (and thermal management so I can use this thing in the Houston summer in a house with no A/C). I'll probably install Arch-Bang on mine and use it as a hilariously-overpowered graphics and GIS workstation; the hackerspace systems will be used in conjunction with a 128+ CPU Transmeta rack as sort of a DIY supercomputer for things like ultra-fine-grained audio waveform processing (the other fellow does audio engineering as a hobby), protein folding (but of course!), traffic pattern analysis (Houston has absurdly-configured traffic signal timings), meterology (Hurricane City!) and such. Stay tuned, and again, I'm very thankful for this community keeping a discussion on this strange bit of hardware.

I recommend adding some heat sinks to some of the chips on the board that get really hot. Also the NB/SB chip [the big block next to the video] gets hot. make sure it has some active cooling.

I live in California with no A/C and I shut it down during hot parts of the year.

I recommend adding some heat sinks to some of the chips on the board that get really hot. Also the NB/SB chip [the big block next to the video] gets hot. make sure it has some active cooling.
    Fets?

i really need to get one of those laser thermometeres

Yep

I used one to determine the hot spots on the board then ordered some little copper heat sinks. I'd like to place a fan right on that huge heat sink by the video card but I just put an oscillating fan on low.

I used one to determine the hot spots on the board then ordered some little copper heat sinks.
    yeah very low speed 80mm works nicely

Xtreme Member
    Hi there,
    i am now testing the HP bios Green PCB and the common Obey Google Blue PCB arima boards.
    Fact.with bios 0.9.6 the pci express 3dlabs Realizm 800 works.
    micron 667 ecc ddr does not work.
    opteron 8380 shangai core 4 cores dows not work
    opteron 8356 works
    opteron 8347 works.
    keep testing.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiJIm View Post
    Hi there,
    i am now testing the HP bios Green PCB and the common Obey Google Blue PCB arima boards.
    Fact.with bios 0.9.6 the pci express 3dlabs Realizm 800 works.
    micron 667 ecc ddr does not work.
    opteron 8380 shangai core 4 cores dows not work
    opteron 8356 works
    opteron 8347 works.
    keep testing.
    Nice. I wonder if we can update the first post on this?

Xtreme Member
    Hi there,
    bad news,the green pcb mobo has the same OBEY bios,yet the revision of the bios is a newer one of number 1.0.6.
    I will be uploading an image in the next days.The advantages of this bios is that it allow pci-e vgas to work whereas the prior 1.04 did not.
    Have in mind that the 1.0..6 bios is compatible with the blue pcb mobo.
    The 8380 quad core cpu is a no go.
    have fun!
    ps:I will try to install windows 2008 server 64bit .I will be reporting in the next days.

Wow, keep up the good work! Glad to see the information still viable.

Boy that'd be cool if the BIOS is compatible. I wonder what the video card options would be then. Any other changes in the BIOS rev?

Wow! Thanks, AmiJlm. Unfortunate that Shanghai cores still don't work but good to see that VGA compatibility is improved in the recent BIOS!

Still no news on my system unfortunately. Been working on some other projects but hopefully we'll move on this soon.
    Anarcho-Hippie Hackasaurus Rex!

ehhhh these boards...

had it running and didnt change anything, looks at power being used realized its not crunching, froze, restart cant boot, its doing the same thing again, run ubuntu memtest, not one pass, everything failed and errored, with no changes............. time to restart it a few hundred times so it will work again

Ah the joys of the Arima beasts.

Is anyone running board with opteron 8358's or 8360's ??

Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    ehhhh these boards...

had it running and didnt change anything, looks at power being used realized its not crunching, froze, restart cant boot, its doing the same thing again, run ubuntu memtest, not one pass, everything failed and errored, with no changes............. time to restart it a few hundred times so it will work again
    You better check your power supply (strange, mine was Seasonic 700W). Last winter my Arima started start giving me hard time: booted once in 5-7 times, shut downs etc. So I assumed problem was with board, but after PS change to older PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W board is rock solid.
    Last edited by AXm77; 06-02-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AXm77 View Post
    Is anyone running board with opteron 8358's or 8360's ??

You better check your power supply (strange, mine was Seasonic 700W). Last winter my Arima started start giving me hard time: booted once in 5-7 times, shut downs etc. So I assumed problem was with board, but after PS change to older PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W board is rock solid.
    power supply causing mem errors?

a brand new gold rated seasonic x750? ehhhh i was leaning more to the board is shottty or dieing

im kinda done with the arima troubles..

anyone wana buy it?

Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 202728293031323340 ... LastLast