Thread: haha my cpu is alive!! and R3E.. :)))

Xtreme Enthusiast

haha my cpu is alive!! and R3E.. :)))

Hi guys... after my last run on this cpu, it was somehow dropt its freq. about 400-500Mhz.. then i used it about 1-2weeks on air and tonight karandiru and me tried it again at karandiru's house,, and guess what happened?? CPU revived

below ss is just to show you it is hell alive! andd.. R3E rocks again! we didnt have real efficient run yet.

and one more thing, R3E'S 2D booster mode really worked well, we gain about 50Mhz on Spi 1M.

okay just an ss for now..

wait! i should not forget to thank to karandiru's wife for the great dinner she prepared for us

Xtreme Guru
    why do you think karandiru married her in the 1st place?
    she can cook like martha stewart on 5 hits of acid!

Xtreme Member
    Congrats that is a very quick score! :cheers:

What phase change was it hey?? Must be cascade right?? I have had a few people have this problem now mainly where they think their 980x has died, refused to turn 0on and then not clocked as well. I wonder why this is and whats making them fight back. Anything you did inparticular?

James

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    Congrats that is a very quick score! :cheers:

What phase change was it hey?? Must be cascade right?? I have had a few people have this problem now mainly where they think their 980x has died, refused to turn 0on and then not clocked as well. I wonder why this is and whats making them fight back. Anything you did inparticular?

James
    it is under LN2.

And for the cpu, it is weird to have such behavior even i was very safe settings last time it just dropt its overclockablity,, then i used it for one day on air and let it heat up then tried it but again it was not okay,, then a 1-2weeks pasts and we tried it today,,now it is okay it works like hell

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    it is under LN2.

And for the cpu, it is weird to have such behavior even i was very safe settings last time it just dropt its overclockablity,, then i used it for one day on air and let it heat up then tried it but again it was not okay,, then a 1-2weeks pasts and we tried it today,,now it is okay it works like hell
    hey thats awesome! Was all the same hardware used? did you switch to a different psu or anything at k's house?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    it is under LN2.

it is normal behaviour, if you look in the forums here you will find alot of people have that issue, with an R3E or E762. it's 980x related. after some time performance just goes down, for me it is when i get a bsod, then instant 300-400mhz down. sucks, but nothing you can do about it.

Xtreme Guru
    ^^true but how many degraded gulftowns come back to life? I think that is the whole point of this thread.
    consider it a blessing from the overclocking gods. I have no idea why it just came back like that after 2 weeks. I guess there's nothing he can do about it.
    @ hey, is there enough ln2 left to crank out some 32M spi or wprime 1024 runs? You gotta strike when the irons hot! Ask Mrs. K to get on coffee detail and get to work! shes probably in bed now anyways.
    Last edited by trans am; 09-03-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by trans am View Post
    hey thats awesome! Was all the same hardware used? did you switch to a different psu or anything at k's house?
    actually different psu but that is not the case cause mine is okay, i used it at AMD Vantage WR

Quote Originally Posted by thijs View Post
    it is normal behaviour, if you look in the forums here you will find alot of people have that issue, with an R3E or E762. it's 980x related. after some time performance just goes down, for me it is when i get a bsod, then instant 300-400mhz down. sucks, but nothing you can do about it.
    yes i know about them so i was expecting to get it back alive again, that is why we tried it again

Quote Originally Posted by trans am View Post
    ^^true but how many degraded gulftowns come back to life? I think that is the whole point of this thread.
    consider it a blessing from the overclocking gods. I have no idea why it just came back like that after 2 weeks. I guess there's nothing he can do about it.
    @ hey, is there enough ln2 left to crank out some 32M spi or wprime 1024 runs? You gotta strike when the irons hot! Ask Mrs. K to get on coffee detail and get to work! shes probably in bed now anyways.
    we already quit trying because we had very few amounth of LN2 and it is finished

Xtreme Guru
    argh I know that feeling. just when you get it going the ln2 gets cashed.
    just make good notes while you can and take it all down safely so you can continue where you left off the next time you get the ln2. good night guys. have a good weekend!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    From what i've been reading here just give a 30minutes break to the processor and it will be back to normal speed

Looking forward to the efficient run and also other benchmarks

Quote Originally Posted by To(V)bo Co(V)bo View Post
    This is gonna be way more fun than my wifes tits.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco André View Post
    From what i've been reading here just give a 30minutes break to the processor and it will be back to normal speed

Looking forward to the efficient run and also other benchmarks
    Yo, that's right...

...but only the first time

If you bench and the freq goes down you can give the chip a break for 30min or an hour and it will be fine again (tested with some Q3QP/FE). But the period till the freq breaks again will be shorter then the first time - and shorter and shorter...

So the best thing you can do is take your chip and bench as fast as you can and then give him a rest for some days - the chip will be very thankfull to you and give you after some days nice benching hours again...

happy to see your cpu is back

Xtreme Addict
    My wolfdale does this. I run it at 4ghz and after some time start getting BSOD,
    I then drop it down to 3.6 for a while (week or so), and then go back to 4ghz.

It's some sort of degradation, however it's not permanent.

AFAIK this behavior started with the 45nm process.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump