Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Log: 100,000 PPD by 1/23/2011

Xtreme Cruncher
    Why was i not informed of this thread!!! Fantastic build log!
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Fanboy of Good Products
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
    Why was i not informed of this thread!!! Fantastic build log!
    it's only been at the top of the WCG subforum for three weeks!!
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Cruncher
    Update time

First of all:

I installed a "Taco" 1/35th HP water circulator pump in my loop. My loop(s) go a little something like this now; Res/manifold > pumps (655's) > 3 cpu blocks > manifold > Taco pump > rad > rad > res/manifold. I rebuilt the return manifold and am much happier with the design. Instead of custom gluing my 3/4" pipe into a 4" pvc pipe with drilled holes then gluing the hell out of it to get it water tight this manifold is all stock screw-n-glue connections. building this was super easy.

And heres some shots from inside the radiator box showing the depth and how the pump mounts. The fans will mount on the top of the box (if I ever get them ):

Before my flow was a little wimpy; I snapped a shot of the tubing when I first turned on the loop. All the tiny air bubbles were clearing out at warp-speed. So far no leaks or pump backup with the mismatched pumps. The taco 1/35th HP is powerful enough to drive water through the MCP655's without them even being powered on. In hindsight i'm not even sure they are needed, a single inline water circulator 1/25th HP pump might have been more than enough.

I came up with a mounting solution for the MCP655's, they are mounted to the side of my rad box with the outputs facing the farm and the inputs toward the inlet:

And heres the farm in action as of right now. I spaced out the mother boards on the racks more instead of worring about jamming them all in too tight. I did a little bit of cable management but still need a bunch more later on. The new spacing might give me density problems when I get everything up and running, I will probably have to add a 3rd rack on the adjacent wall.

Thats it for now; i'm still unpaitently awaiting my fans from Newark. 1 week of waiting down and probably a few more to go... They haven't even charged my card yet, bad sign So i'm still dead in the water for now without fans. i'm running 5 rigs on the system now and still no signs of heat increase or heat issues. Ambient temps in the garage seem to be about +1 or +2F above outside temps surprisingly. I might get the 6th rig in sub-loop #2 up and running later this week

hurry up Newark! I want my fans!!
    XTREMESupercomputer: Phase 2
    Live up to your name - November 1 - 8
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Addict
    You deserve this:

I wish I had something to donate, but most of my funds are going towards a project that will do a good amount of folding.
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    And... for fun. Farm in the dark:

Fanboy of Good Products
    looking great trn!
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Banned
    cheer up trn,
    GREAT project,
    that extra pump makes these MCP's look like babies ! 3K L/h.
    you can probably set many more rigs there with these rads and flow rate,
    btw,
    car rads are spec'd at up to 240K BTU (~70,000W) for professional designs and others show ~70-150K for the more moderate/generic one's.
    you can have a lot of load on these, though these temps in the garage would probably climb up with insufficient cooling,
    radiator water in cars are being heated much more then a few CPU's setup and the wind factor going at high speeds is giving an additional effect to the fans!

p.s - place those plywood surfaces underneath the MB's,
    that look a little bit too risky...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by onex View Post
    p.s - place those plywood surfaces underneath the MB's,
    that look a little bit too risky...
    Busted

I keep meaning to do that and keep putting it off...

Xtreme Cruncher
    You are simply awesome trn!
    Team XS: xs4s.org

(o.O)
    this is so ing cool

edit: sofa king cool!
    Last edited by Rise; 09-27-2010 at 04:38 AM.
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield @ 3.2GHz | Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo | 2x OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) | Sapphire 4870x2 | Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10k RPM | Intel 120GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 RPM | Hitachi 2TB 7200 RPM | PCP&C 750W Power Supply |Cooler Master HAF932 | Windows 7 64-bit | Dell ULTRASHARP 2408WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

Join Us in the XS World Community Grid Forum & Help Fight Cancer and Other Diseases

Xtreme Addict
    Mmmmm tacos.

Devil kept pokin'
    That is one beastly looking guacamole taco.

I can't imagine what your friends, family, and neighbors must think. To the average person a PC is just a Dell.
    What you have going on there fits in something like out of Super Prison's crazy world

Crunch!! Crunch!! Crunch!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by slaveondope View Post
    I can't imagine what your friends, family, and neighbors must think.
    A lot of straaaange things So far I've heard everything from building bombs to brewing beer. And i've only got a few computers up and going so far... I can't imagine the comments when I have 15+ crunchers all going in there

I put up a privacy curtian over my side window now so the pumps, hosing, and fans are no longer visible from outside because it looked like I had some sort of hydroponic growing farm going on in there if anything

*Edit: just got off the phone with Newark... They were sitting on my order and no processing it for absolutely zero reason. A quick call straightened it out... but really? They couldn't have sent an email or called or anything? They are just going to sit on orders and not processes them until the customer calls up and complains? Really great way to run a business

*double edit... now they say the fans are back-ordered when I ordered 6 and they have 7 in stock and they won't ship till 10/18... awesome, go Newark! I highly recommend ordering from Newark if you want a reason to want to pull your hair out and put your face through a deli slicer.
    Last edited by trn; 09-27-2010 at 08:05 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Honestly... If I didn't know better I would think you were decrypting peoples credit card info.

What else do "sane" people do with 15 computers?

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    Honestly... If I didn't know better I would think you were decrypting peoples credit card info.

What else do "sane" people do with 15 computers?
    Good point, why am I wasting my money on WCG when I could be hacking bank encryption!

The lack of cases and the water tubes throws people off, they've never seen a case-less headless water cooled "PC" before.

WCG Cruncher
    Wow Wow. Your build is coming along nicely. Extremely Xtreme WCG.

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

Looks great! I'm glad the Taco worked out for you.

The reliability/durability of the Taco pump should far exceed that of the smaller pumps. I would take out the 655 pumps. No sense having those in the loop if you are not going to use them. It's just one more thing that can be a potential leak.

Xtreme Member
    NEEDDDDSSSSS!!!!
    MOAR!
    MOBOS!!!!!
    i wanna see it completely finished and crunching

Xtreme Addict
    I'm interested in seeing the effects of galvanic corrosion with the cast iron pump over time.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Pointhore View Post
    Looks great! I'm glad the Taco worked out for you.

The reliability/durability of the Taco pump should far exceed that of the smaller pumps. I would take out the 655 pumps. No sense having those in the loop if you are not going to use them. It's just one more thing that can be a potential leak.
    I feel better having a 655 on each sub-loop. I think that having them can help keep the flow equal across all the sub-loops. I have 6 sub loops; I found that the majority of the water will take the path of least resistance. So if I had 5 sub loops with 3 blocks and then 1 loop with 1 block the loop with 1 block will get much stronger flow and the other 5 will be weak. Right now i'm running 2 sub loops with 3 blocks on each and on the other 3 loops I turned off the 655's; the Taco still forces water through them but the resistance of the powered off pumps is keeping the flow of 2 sub loops good. So anyways, by keeping a 655 on each loop I think it will help maintain the flow across all the sub loops and help make sure I don't have a dead sub-loop.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by disturbed13 View Post
    ...i wanna see it completely finished and crunching
    Don't we all. Trn's kinda doing a strip tease with these updates - except more ram and clocks than T&A BOOO! Get yer kit off! ;p

You are an inspiration to us all to kick it up a notch
    Nymph - Xeon 5675 @ 4.1 w/ x2 680
    Ikaros - i7 920 w/ 275 - Build In Progress

Long live LGA1366

Xtreme Member
    ^ love the explanation
    it made me laugh

Xtreme Member
    Wicked build so far, trn.

I'm curious... what do you have in the water to prevent algae growth?
    XS WCG: Voiding warranties for a good cause. Join us!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryja View Post
    Trn's kinda doing a strip tease with these updates - except more ram and clocks than T&A

Quote Originally Posted by artemm View Post
    Wicked build so far, trn.

I'm curious... what do you have in the water to prevent algae growth?
    PTNuke mixed in whatever the the bottle recommends (and a lot of it; it took ~45 drops the first time i nuked my system.) This is very important because I no longer have a drainport. The only way to drain my system is by dissembling it and I don't have to have to do that often. I flushed my Rads well but neglected to flush the pumps first; somehow a thin white film got deposited on the insides of my system. Temps are holding steady so I think i'll just rough it out and try and wait a year or so before tearing down the water system for a routine flushing if needed.

I am Xtreme
    Good Luck and awesome job on everything- this has been an fantastic Thread with Lots O Sexy eye-candy

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast