Thread: My GPU SS Is Stopping The Mouse From Working

Xtreme Addict

My GPU SS Is Stopping The Mouse From Working

I was doing pre-testing yesterday morning with my 980x/R3E and 8800GT. Everything was fine, until I put my GPU under SS for the real benching. As soon as I did that I can't use the mouse (windows says an error happened, code 10?). The PC is still going though, the keyboard (PS/2) works and my USB drive still works its only the mouses.

This morning I put my air cooled 8800GT in the system everything worked fine, so I had my SS cooled 8800GT just sitting next to it not plugged in or anything. I turned the SS on, everything kept working, so it couldn't just be the SS unit. Next I plugged the SS cooled 8800GT in and booted without the SS being on, once again everything was fine. The second I turned the SS on the mouse stopped working, even though the GPU was still at 40c. After 5min I turned the SS off, let the gpu warm up and still the mouse wasn't working. So I restarted the PC, thats when the next random problem happens.

The system won't post, it hangs on the GPU. Nothing I do with get it to work, so I take it out and put the other 8800GT in (air cooled one). It posts fine, turn it off and put the SS cooled one in (with the SS still off) now it posts fine.

I have tried 3 different mouses, it happens on my EVGA 790i, Classified and R3E. Until now I didn't realized what was the problem and I always blamed the Classified. There has been a few times in the past it has worked, and other times the mouses works for 2sec, then not for 1sec then starts again for 2sec and so on. I have used 4 different HDDs and winxp and win7. I can't think of anything I did different those times.

Not sure where to post this since it looks like the phase unit is somehow effecting the mouse when it is going.

So does anyone have any idea what is happening and how to fix it? Or something to try?

Pie assassin
    Current Status - Testing & Research

Xtreme Addict
    All well and good if your board has 2 PS/2 plugs on it Also doesn't solve the problem when I try to re-start.

Administrator
    Check to see how hard you have that Evap setup mounted to the GPU. Sometime when you really crank down the hold downs you can flex that PCB a little and that can mess things up.

Try backing off on the hold down screws for the Evap enclosure and see if that helps.

Xtreme Member
    When the mouse hangs up , unplug the mouse usb cable and plug it back in , the mouse should then work again .
    Room Temp H20 | sdumper 2 Stage Cascade ( 4-Sale Mint ! ) | i7 975 ES / R2E rev12 v1504 | PH II X6 1090T BE / CH4 v905 | Dominator 2000GT CL8 6gb | Asus GTX 580 X2 SLI | Corsair HX1000 1210w | WD VR Raid 3+0 ( 450gb )

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Check to see how hard you have that Evap setup mounted to the GPU. Sometime when you really crank down the hold downs you can flex that PCB a little and that can mess things up.

Try backing off on the hold down screws for the Evap enclosure and see if that helps.
    I'll try that after work, see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by pcnazz View Post
    When the mouse hangs up , unplug the mouse usb cable and plug it back in , the mouse should then work again .
    Nope done that a million times, tried every port on all 3 boards.

Xtreme Legend
    if you have a CPU pot just put in on the board without actually mounting it...just let it sit on the chip

and then poor ln2 and try again........i usually use that trick with dropped memory channels to check whether it is the pressure on the CPU socket that is causing channels dropping out or something else
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?